Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

    The 5 Precepts

    Share
    avatar
    Lisel
    Member
    Member

    The 5 Precepts

    Post by Lisel on Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:41 pm

    Dear all

    Many of us have different ways of teaching Reiki and we come from different lineages.

    I am just couriuos - What are your 5 Precepts??

    Mine are:

    Just for today:
    Do not Anger
    Do not worry
    Be Thankfull
    Be Honest in everything you do and say
    Be Compassionate to Yourself and Others


    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by chi_solas on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:15 pm

    Lisel I have see so many versions study

    The one I teach is the same as the one
    displayed at the top of this page.

    "Just for today"........... Mad Rolling Eyes cheers heart smiley


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com
    avatar
    Frank
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Frank on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 am

    The precepts I learned are the principles Usui-sensei taught.

    Kyō dake ha (Today only)
    Ikaru na (do not get angry)
    Shinpai suna (do not worry)
    Kansha shite (be grateful)
    Gō wo hageme (literally: work diligently; meaning: be diligent in the things you do)
    Hito ni shinsetsu ni (be kind to others)

    There are of course other translations, bu the difference is only slight. "Just for today" and "do not anger" are just as good. As long as they have the same meaning.

    *Gasshō*
    Frank
    avatar
    Spirithealer
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Spirithealer on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:56 am

    Same here


    Kyō dake ha (Today only)
    Ikaru na (do not get angry)
    Shinpai suna (do not worry)
    Kansha shite (be grateful)
    Gō wo hageme (literally: work diligently; meaning: be diligent in the things you do)
    Hito ni shinsetsu ni (be kind to others)
    avatar
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Colin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:49 am

    Spirithealer and Frank wrote:Same here


    Kyō dake ha (Today only)

    I've not come across that version before!

    I use Kyō dake wa
    Smile


    _________________
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

    ***********************
    Reiki: pure & simple

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/reiki.colin/reiki.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/reiki.pureandsimple

    The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us. (Morihei Ueshiba)

    Reiki is what happens when you make friends with the Universe! (Colin)

    Ki flows, Reiki glows! (Colin)
    avatar
    Frank
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Frank on Sat Aug 28, 2010 5:12 am

    Colin wrote:
    Spirithealer and Frank wrote:Kyō dake ha (Today only)
    I've not come across that version before!

    I use Kyō dake wa

    I already expected such a remark Razz

    The reason why you never came across that 'version' before is because most people don't understand Japanese.
    Or because people just copy what they learned.

    I don't want to say I know a lot about it (hell no, I know very little), but I have tried to come up with my own translation of the Gainen/Gokai. I tried to understand some of the grammatical structures. There is a lot about Japanese that I don't understand, but I do understand some aspects.

    The Japanese use kanji or kana (hiragana/katakana). There is also something called rōmaji; rōmaji is used when people want to transliterate kanji/kana into our Western script based on the Latin alphabet.

    "Today only" in kanji and kana looks like this: 今日丈けは
    (Hope you have installed kanji/kana on your computer)

    In rōmaji it is: kyō dake ha

    Why do I write "ha" in stead of "wa" ?
    Because the character used for "ha" is a particle (it has a grammatical function - states what the subject is you talk about) and in rōmaji it is spelled "ha".
    However, the pronunciation of the particle is "wa".

    So, it should be spelled "ha" and it should be pronounced "wa".

    Something similar happens with "Gō wo hageme".
    "Wo" should be spelled "wo" in rōmaji. It is, however, pronounced "o".

    Sometimes pronunciation is different from the way one should write a word.

    I hope this helps Wink

    *Gasshō
    avatar
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Colin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:16 am

    Frank wrote:
    Colin wrote:
    Spirithealer and Frank wrote:Kyō dake ha (Today only)
    I've not come across that version before!

    I use Kyō dake wa

    I already expected such a remark Razz

    The reason why you never came across that 'version' before is because most people don't understand Japanese.
    Or because people just copy what they learned.

    I don't want to say I know a lot about it (hell no, I know very little), but I have tried to come up with my own translation of the Gainen/Gokai. I tried to understand some of the grammatical structures. There is a lot about Japanese that I don't understand, but I do understand some aspects.

    The Japanese use kanji or kana (hiragana/katakana). There is also something called rōmaji; rōmaji is used when people want to transliterate kanji/kana into our Western script based on the Latin alphabet.

    "Today only" in kanji and kana looks like this: 今日丈けは
    (Hope you have installed kanji/kana on your computer)

    In rōmaji it is: kyō dake ha

    Why do I write "ha" in stead of "wa" ?
    Because the character used for "ha" is a particle (it has a grammatical function - states what the subject is you talk about) and in rōmaji it is spelled "ha".
    However, the pronunciation of the particle is "wa".

    So, it should be spelled "ha" and it should be pronounced "wa".

    Something similar happens with "Gō wo hageme".
    "Wo" should be spelled "wo" in rōmaji. It is, however, pronounced "o".

    Sometimes pronunciation is different from the way one should write a word.

    I hope this helps Wink

    *Gasshō

    Thanks for that explanation, Frank!

    What with ikaru/okaru, shinpai/shimpai etc. it certainly is complicated! Razz

    Well at least I've been reciting it correctly (or at least pronouncing it the same as Chiyoko Yamaguchi, Tadao Yamaguchi and Hyakuten Inamoto!)
    Smile


    _________________
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

    ***********************
    Reiki: pure & simple

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/reiki.colin/reiki.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/reiki.pureandsimple

    The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us. (Morihei Ueshiba)

    Reiki is what happens when you make friends with the Universe! (Colin)

    Ki flows, Reiki glows! (Colin)
    avatar
    Reikijim
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Reikijim on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:47 am



    Hi Frank,

    I`m fairly sure that Inamoto sensi is very fluent in Japanese. I do believe in Komyo he changed Ikuruna to Okuruna saying that the language has evolved since Usui sensi`s time. Okuruna is a closer representation to the original, or so he felt personally. I guess I`m puzzled that he made no mention of replacing wa with ha. After all, I think japanese is his native language....puzzling.

    Jim
    avatar
    Frank
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Frank on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:08 am

    Hi,

    "Ikaru na" can also be pronounced as "okoru na", that's true.
    (I used to prefer "okoru na")

    Whether Ikaru na or okoru na is closer to how Usui pronounced it, I don't know.
    Someone I know (who is a student from Hyakuten Inamoto, Hiroshi Doi and Chris Marsh) says "ikaru na" is closer to the original. I used to say "okoru na" but since he told me that, I use "ikaru na".

    And "ha" and "wa" is not about replacing. It's the same.
    It should be proncounced "wa", but we use the hiragana "ha".

    See: http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/lesson01.cfm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaHW91L7XM

    *Gasshō*
    Frank
    avatar
    Reikijim
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Reikijim on Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:22 am

    Frank wrote:Hi,

    "Ikaru na" can also be pronounced as "okoru na", that's true.
    (I used to prefer "okoru na")

    Whether Ikaru na or okoru na is closer to how Usui pronounced it, I don't know.
    Someone I know (who is a student from Hyakuten Inamoto, Hiroshi Doi and Chris Marsh) says "ikaru na" is closer to the original. I used to say "okoru na" but since he told me that, I use "ikaru na".

    And "ha" and "wa" is not about replacing. It's the same.
    It should be proncounced "wa", but we use the hiragana "ha".

    See: http://www.freejapaneselessons.com/lesson01.cfm
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaHW91L7XM

    *Gasshō*
    Frank

    Hi Frank,

    Wow...my Komyo teacher is Japanese as well, taught by Inamoto...she says the exact opposite...I remember it from her teachings...Wonders never cease...must run parallel with confusion...lol

    thanks for the japanese lesson Smile peace

    Jim
    avatar
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by LightBody on Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:10 pm

    I love both topics!

    Let's please keep this thread to Lisel's original question, "What are your 5 Precepts??" and if necessary, continue and/or elaborate on the Japanese Language here:
    http://www.reikilearninglounge.com/general-discussions-about-reiki-f24/japanese-t1165.htm#12530



    _________________
    Reiki Technician Website
    Kiyoshi Takahashi on Facebook
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Rlei_ki on Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:15 pm

    Recently I found myself drawn to a much-overlooked Japanese version of the 5 Precepts.

    Just as is the case with the 'common' Japanese version,
    with this version there is also a potential for slight variation in pronunciation,
    due to different readings of the written characters.

    Basically though, it goes something like this:

    Kyō ikaru nakare
    Yū furu nakare
    Kansha seyo
    Gyō wo hage me
    Hito ni shinsetsu nareto


    Smile



    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Colin on Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:31 am

    Rlei_ki wrote:Recently I found myself drawn to a much-overlooked Japanese version of the 5 Precepts.

    Just as is the case with the 'common' Japanese version,
    with this version there is also a potential for slight variation in pronunciation,
    due to different readings of the written characters.

    Basically though, it goes something like this:

    Kyō ikaru nakare
    Yū furu nakare
    Kansha seyo
    Gyō wo hage me
    Hito ni shinsetsu nareto


    Smile


    Hi James

    Thanks for all your detective work (and eyestrain Smile ) on interpreting the wording of the Gokai on Usui's memorial stone! cyclops

    http://www.aetw.org/reiki_gokai_original.html

    Do you think one of the reasons that the wording is different on the memorial stone is because the ever-secretive Gakkai may not have wanted to share the original wording with the general public? If we believe that the more familiar Japanese wording had been specifically chosen for its kotodama value then the members of the Gakkai may have not wanted that version so publically available. Thus, the meaning of the words may be very similar but the kotodama is quite different!

    Smile


    _________________
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

    ***********************
    Reiki: pure & simple

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/reiki.colin/reiki.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/reiki.pureandsimple

    The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us. (Morihei Ueshiba)

    Reiki is what happens when you make friends with the Universe! (Colin)

    Ki flows, Reiki glows! (Colin)
    avatar
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by rzukic on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:38 am

    Thank You James & Colin,

    This is indeed an amazing article!!! With this being said though it raises a question that probably many of us have. Based on the idea or maybe the fact that principles do consist of or maybe are kotodama would that than mean that when translated to English or any other language they would become “useless” for they would lose that “sound effect” Very Happy

    Thank You!
    avatar
    Frank
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Frank on Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:52 am

    Hi,

    Although I'm not Colin or James, I would like to respond to your question.
    Gokai is supposed to be used as a mantra, in Japanese. The sounds have a specific energetic effect. If you change the sounds (in other words, if you change the mantra), you change the energetic effect.

    That's what I can say, but the real answer lies in practising.
    Practise is the only way to really experience the answer to your question.

    *Gasshō*
    Frank
    avatar
    Spirithealer
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Spirithealer on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:37 pm

    Yes they can be changed but as with all things intent is the main thing

    As Frank said try them out....

    meditate on the symbol then try it with the kotodama!
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Rlei_ki on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:11 am

    Colin wrote:

    Do you think one of the reasons that the wording is different on the memorial stone is because the ever-secretive Gakkai may not have wanted to share the original wording with the general public?

    of course this is a possibility, however, I personally feel that the 'secretiveness' is something originating at a considerably later period...

    Colin wrote:
    If we believe that the more familiar Japanese wording had been specifically chosen for its kotodama value...

    personally, for the moment, I would omit "the more familiar" from that statement Smile

    As I allude to at the (current) foot of my article, further installments will look at the gokai from a kotodama (or: kototama) gaku perspective.

    I have temporarily suspended work on this article in order to begin work on another article discussing kotodama, jumon and other elements of kototama gaku:

    "mantra, jumon & kotodama"

    This too is still 'in progress'


    however, the "original Reiki Principles?" article will resolve itself in due course

    Smile


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Colin on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:53 am

    Rlei_ki wrote:

    As I allude to at the (current) foot of my article, further installments will look at the gokai from a kotodama (or: kototama) gaku perspective.

    I have temporarily suspended work on this article in order to begin work on another article discussing kotodama, jumon and other elements of kototama gaku:

    "mantra, jumon & kotodama"

    This too is still 'in progress'


    however, the "original Reiki Principles?" article will resolve itself in due course

    Smile

    Very interesting and informative articles, James!

    The kotodama/jumon article ties together quite a few elements I have been reading about elsewhere! Smile

    I look forward to the unfolding and resolution of both of these pages.
    bounce



    _________________
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

    ***********************
    Reiki: pure & simple

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/reiki.colin/reiki.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/reiki.pureandsimple

    The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us. (Morihei Ueshiba)

    Reiki is what happens when you make friends with the Universe! (Colin)

    Ki flows, Reiki glows! (Colin)
    avatar
    MattiT
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by MattiT on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:24 am

    Rlei_ki wrote:
    Colin wrote:

    Do you think one of the reasons that the wording is different on the memorial stone is because the ever-secretive Gakkai may not have wanted to share the original wording with the general public?

    of course this is a possibility, however, I personally feel that the 'secretiveness' is something originating at a considerably later period...

    Hi James,

    I believe secretiveness has been quite an integral feature of the Japanese culture both before and after Usui-sensei's time. As you know, Usui himself did not like the idea ("That idea, not to open to the public and keep the sacred method in the family, is really the past century's bad custom"), but his followers may well have been more traditional in that respect.

    Anyway, I doubt whether the memorial was prepared to be used as a source document. Not using a direct quote was probably just a simple matter of style.
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Rlei_ki on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:04 am

    MattiT wrote:
    I believe secretiveness has been quite an integral feature of the Japanese culture both before and after Usui-sensei's time. As you know, Usui himself did not like the idea ("That idea, not to open to the public and keep the sacred method in the family, is really the past century's bad custom").

    The 'keep it in the family' idea referred to was really more to do with good business sense, than with secrecy per se.

    Smile


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    MattiT
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by MattiT on Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 am

    Rlei_ki wrote:
    MattiT wrote:
    I believe secretiveness has been quite an integral feature of the Japanese culture both before and after Usui-sensei's time. As you know, Usui himself did not like the idea ("That idea, not to open to the public and keep the sacred method in the family, is really the past century's bad custom").

    The 'keep it in the family' idea referred to was really more to do with good business sense, than with secrecy per se.

    Smile

    Hmmm, yes... maybe not business sense, because in my understanding these skills were not generally used to make a living but rather to heal family members, but I see your point.

    Anyway, in my experience the Japanese definitely love secrecy. Take martial arts for example: if you practice with one kobudo master, you're not allowed to go to another style's dojo, neither are the other style practicioners allowed to enter yours, lest the other master learn your style's secrets. In fact some traditional styles are about to die with their last master because the masters never assent to hand over their most secret teachings.
    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by chi_solas on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:57 am

    I believe all cultures have a "secret"
    style. Don't air your dirty linens in
    public is one. Never say anything bad
    about the dead. Head stones and memorials
    sometimes takes years to come about.
    Folks struggle with the wording,what kind
    of legacy did the person leave.

    Is Usui gone and will we never know the
    whole truth about his life and the Reiki
    system that he created? or...Does Usui live
    on in us when we practice Reiki and the
    precepts?


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com

    Pachamama
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Pachamama on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:40 pm

    I have a couple of different versions of the precepts..I'll post later when I have more time..

    Pachamama
    Member
    Member

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Pachamama on Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:46 pm

    MattiT wrote:
    Rlei_ki wrote:
    MattiT wrote:
    I believe secretiveness has been quite an integral feature of the Japanese culture both before and after Usui-sensei's time. As you know, Usui himself did not like the idea ("That idea, not to open to the public and keep the sacred method in the family, is really the past century's bad custom").

    The 'keep it in the family' idea referred to was really more to do with good business sense, than with secrecy per se.

    Smile

    Hmmm, yes... maybe not business sense, because in my understanding these skills were not generally used to make a living but rather to heal family members, but I see your point.

    Anyway, in my experience the Japanese definitely love secrecy. Take martial arts for example: if you practice with one kobudo master, you're not allowed to go to another style's dojo, neither are the other style practicioners allowed to enter yours, lest the other master learn your style's secrets. In fact some traditional styles are about to die with their last master because the masters never assent to hand over their most secret teachings.

    If Bruce Lee didn't have the b*lls to break with martial art tradition...we in the 'west' may never have learnt anything about martial arts!! Thank goodness some people see the greater good in 'breaking out' and evolving beyond the restrictive limited 'traditional code'...gotta love a rebel!!! Cool
    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by chi_solas on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:47 pm

    Stepping outta the box IMO
    cut all restraining ties that
    limited my mind to openness &
    mindfulness. Moving outta the
    box (environment)that was causing
    restrictions helped. I found the
    5 precepts helpful towards
    developing mindfulnes study bounce .


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com

    Sponsored content

    Re: The 5 Precepts

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:15 am