Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
vijaybali
Colin
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
chi_solas
9 posters

Is Reiki & Universal energy the same or different?

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Is Reiki  & Universal energy the same or different? Empty Is Reiki & Universal energy the same or different?

Post by chi_solas Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 pm

I see the term Reiki energy used a lot.
    I'm not sure if folks interchange the
    word Universal to mean Reiki. Do we
    have any clarification that these two
    words mean the same? bounce
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Is Reiki  & Universal energy the same or different? Empty Re: Is Reiki & Universal energy the same or different?

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:13 am

chi_solas wrote:I see the term Reiki energy used a lot.
    words mean the same?

that would probably depend on how you are using the word "Universal" Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Is Reiki  & Universal energy the same or different? Empty Re: Is Reiki & Universal energy the same or different?

Post by chi_solas Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 am

Thanks James that's an interesting thought
    I was thinking the opposite. I see Reiki
    as a system that uses rituals and natural
    universal energy. sunny
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:53 am

chi_solas wrote:... I see Reiki
    as a system that uses rituals and natural
    universal energy.

Ah yes - we do seem to use the word "Reiki" variously

in one sense it is commonly used as a noun to refer to the 'system' itself
    in another, to refer to the 'phenomenon' or 'energy' which lies at the heart of the system - the 'motive force' as it were, behind the system

and we also find the word 'Reiki' being used as a verb: eg:
    "if your shoulder is sore, would you like me to Reiki it?"

however the more pedantic amongst us (OK you can all stop looking in my direction - right now ! Laughing ) might be tempted to point out that, for the sake of clarity, the 'system' - ie. the concepts, protocols and practices which define the art - should perhaps more properly be referred to as 'Reiki Ryoho' (or simply Reikiho )

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:37 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

however the more pedantic amongst us (OK you can all stop looking in my direction - right now ! Laughing ) might be tempted to point out that, for the sake of clarity, the 'system' - ie. the concepts, protocols and practices which define the art - should perhaps more properly be referred to as 'Reiki Ryoho' ......

hmm, maybe place a little 'Usui Shiki' in front of that, to be more pedantic... hehe.

Twisted Evil
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:27 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Rlei_ki wrote:
    - should perhaps more properly be referred to as 'Reiki Ryoho' ......

hmm, maybe place a little 'Usui Shiki' in front of that, to be more pedantic... hehe.

Twisted Evil

well, those pedantic people (I said stop looking in my direction!) would probably disagree Smile

In the case of "Reiki Ryoho", properly, we should only have 'Usui' before it
    (or possibly some other Surname, if you are so inclined)

We should have
    either
    "Usui Reiki Ryoho"
    or
    "Usui Shiki Ryoho"
    but not
    "Usui Shiki Reiki Ryoho"

[and most certainly not - as I have seen in one manual - "Usui Shiki Reiki Ryoho Te-ate"] Rolling Eyes
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:30 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Rlei_ki wrote:

however the more pedantic amongst us (OK you can all stop looking in my direction - right now ! Laughing ) might be tempted to point out that, for the sake of clarity, the 'system' - ie. the concepts, protocols and practices which define the art - should perhaps more properly be referred to as 'Reiki Ryoho' ......

Twisted Evil

Or maybe 'Shin Shin Kaizen Usui' to be even more pedantic! Twisted Evil
    Smile
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:54 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

[and most certainly not - as I have seen in one manual - "Usui Shiki Reiki Ryoho Te-ate"] Rolling Eyes

Colin wrote:
    Or maybe 'Shin Shin Kaizen Usui' to be even more pedantic! Twisted Evil
    Smile

Blasphemy! And double blasphemy!
    Laughing
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:55 am

OK, so enough of hijacking Bridget's thread Laughing

chi_solas wrote:
    ...I'm not sure if folks interchange the

If you are asking can the Japanese word 'Reiki' be translated as 'universal'

- that is 'universal' in the sense of:

"existing or occurring everywhere "

then No, not directly

vijaybali
    vijaybali

Post by vijaybali Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:04 pm

hi,

There is no difference in a reiki and Universal Energy they are same. But if any body saying there is difference than again it is difference of his mind not energy, Energy has no name.. It is Omni present and same for everybody and all univeses.....

take care

vijay kumar bali

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:55 am

Rlei_ki wrote:OK, so enough of hijacking Bridget's thread Laughing

chi_solas wrote:
    ...I'm not sure if folks interchange the

If you are asking can the Japanese word 'Reiki' be translated as 'universal'

- that is 'universal' in the sense of:

"existing or occurring everywhere "

then No, not directly

Then my question would be, "if I decided
    to have Reiki which one of the hundred's
    of Reiki style should I choose"
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:07 am

vijaybali wrote:hi,

There is no difference in a reiki and Universal Energy they are same. But if any body saying there is difference than again it is difference of his mind not energy, Energy has no name.. It is Omni present and same for everybody and all univeses.....

take care

vijay kumar bali

That depends on how you use the word Reiki.
    Reiki energy, or Reiki system that defines
    an energy technique. It's not a massage,
    acupuncture or other energy modality it's
    Reiki bounce
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:20 am

chi_solas wrote:
    Then my question would be, "if I decided
    to have Reiki which one of the hundred's
    of Reiki style should I choose"

My answer would be: "obtain literature, chat to various Reiki practitioners in your area and choose the one whose explanation of what Reiki is, and what happens at a Reiki session, feels right to you."
    Smile
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 am

chi_solas wrote:I see the term Reiki energy used a lot.

My answer to the original question in your post is similar to that of James: "No, I don't think the Japanese word 'Reiki' can literally be translated as 'Universal'."

As for the title of this thread:

Is Reiki and Universal energy the same or different?

I used to think it was but the more research I do the more I don't think it is!

Universal Energy is a subtle energy that is found everywhere and is commonly part of many forms of bioenergetic healing including the practice of the system of Reiki Ryoho. It is this Universal Energy that has many names in many cultures e.g. Ki, Qi, Prana, etc.

However, I believe that Reiki itself is a specific spiritual phenomenon that occurs when the spiritual interacts with the physical, either spontaneously or through the medium of person such as a Reiki practitioner.

In Japan many spiritual places are said to have the presence of Reiki. This is similar to Kami (Divine Presence), I suppose, but maybe the Reiki which can be felt is the effect of the interaction of Kami with the physical in this case?
    Smile

Just my thoughts and opinions - not necessarily the reality! Wink
    Dokasan
    Dokasan

Post by Dokasan Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:06 pm

This discussion reminds me of a question I posed to a Martial Arts friend of mine.
    The kanji we use for Reiki is actually Chinese calligraphy for Ling Qi or External Qi.
    I asked him if Reiki and Ling Qi were the same, here is his response.

"Ling qi refers implies the involvement of "spirit", "effectiveness," "mystery," and some kind of divine spirit or intelligence." In this respect it has similarities with Reiki.
    But not so much with the other aspects "It can also refer to cleverness, agility, and easiness. Ling can also refer to a sprite, elf, or spirit."

As mentioned in another post, is Reiki the same as Universal energy. I would say if you asked a variety of reiki practitioners, I don't know that you would get a common answer.

Personally, I like to say that Reiki is Spirit Energy as opposed to Universal. When
    mentioning Universal my mind goes off into science and thoughts of string theory and such.

With regards to choosing one style of Reiki over another finding what resonates with you is an excellent response. If you find it hard to accept or believe what the teacher is explaining to you then you probably wouldn't use Reiki. You might move on to another energy healing modality. However, if you found a teacher who matched your belief system and you understood what they were explaining then you might just practice Reiki.

I don't think anyone can tell you which one is the best, that is up for you to decide. Sometimes that is part of the fun. Trying one style and seeing if it is suitable, if not then trying another. Hopefully, or eventually you will find a style that feels like "home".
    Blessings on your journey of self discovery. Smile
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:10 am

Could it be both? Not sure how the source is reliable but apparently in the interview Dr. Usui said:

Q) Then, is it psychic method of treatment?

A) Usui: "Yes, you could say that. But you could also say it is physical method of treatment. The reason why is Ki and light are emanated from healer's body, especially from eyes, mouth and hands. So if healer stares or breathes on or strokes with hands at the affected area such as toothache, colic pain, stomach-ache, neuralgia, bruises, cuts, burns and other swellings with pain will be gone. However a chronic disease is not easy, it's needed some time. But a patient will feel improvement at the first treatment. There is a fact more than a novel how to explain this phenomenon with modern medicine. If you see the fact you would understand. Even people who use sophistry can not ignore the fact."
    http://reikimel.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/usui-reiki-hikkei.pdf

Regards,
    Resko
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:10 am

rzukic wrote: Could it be both? Not sure how the source is reliable but apparently in the interview Dr. Usui said:

Q) Then, is it psychic method of treatment?

A) Usui: "Yes, you could say that. But you could also say it is physical method of treatment. The reason why is Ki and light are emanated from healer's body, especially from eyes, mouth and hands. So if healer stares or breathes on or strokes with hands at the affected area such as toothache, colic pain, stomach-ache, neuralgia, bruises, cuts, burns and other swellings with pain will be gone. However a chronic disease is not easy, it's needed some time. But a patient will feel improvement at the first treatment. There is a fact more than a novel how to explain this phenomenon with modern medicine. If you see the fact you would understand. Even people who use sophistry can not ignore the fact."
    http://reikimel.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/usui-reiki-hikkei.pdf

Regards,
    Resko

Yes, I believe it is both!

Ki (subtle energy) and light (EM field) are emitted from an energy healer's body, which can kick start the healing of such conditions as Usui mentions. However, I belive that in the case of a Reiki practitioner, Reiki (a spiritual essence or phenomenon) also comes into play, which works on a deeper more spiritual level, which is in tune with a person's life purpose (or chosen path) and helps bring about the best possible outcome, taking this into account. This is obviously only my own opinion and cannot and probably will not ever be able to be proved scientifically. Smile

That is what I think Usui meant when he said his Reiki Ryoho (i.e. his system of practice) was a spiritual method (I prefer the translation of 'shinrei' as spiritual rather than psychic Smile ) and a physical method. What we practice outwardly also has an inner spiritual effect.

Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi,

From my point of view: "universal energy" is a very generic (and therefore not specific) term.
    Yes, it is energy (which exact frequency is not stated, nor implied). And yes it is universal (referring to the availability: it is universal, it is everywhere or accessible to everyone).

So, universal energy is in my eyes a non-specific energy which is widely available.

Reiki, on the other hand, is something very specific. For me, that is.
    It is the energy originating from the highest level of consciousness, the consciousness that is completely free and at total peace; it is the energy an enlightened person would radiate 24/7.

That is the way I view the kanji used and it is also what I learned from my own teacher and one of Chris Marsh' students.

That's also the reason I tend to never say that I send or give Reiki Wink

Regarding the word "Reiki" being a word describing (an) energy or a system.....
    One day (Usui-sensei's days) it was very simple: Usui-sensei did not call his teachings "Reiki" and "Reiki" was used to refer to an energy.

Today, like James already said, people use it as a word for all kinds of different energies, or energy in general and the method/system which uses the energy/energies and it even seems to be used as a verb.

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:56 am

Frank said:
    That's also the reason I tend to never say that I send or give Reiki

That's an interesting point of view. So if we say we are sending Reiki that is a thought. If a thought is energy and the person receives our thought then they receive the energy sent. sunny
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:07 am

Hi,

Hmm, interesting. I wouldn't call it power or energy of thought either.
    I do 'send' energy and I am able to distinguish (and 'use'/'send') several different energy frequencies but I wouldn't call it Reiki. "Reiki" is a word for the energy coming from the highest possible consciousness, in my humble view and experience with Usui Reiki Ryōhō (as I already explained).

If I would say I sent someone Reiki, I would also say/imply something about my consciousness.
    I know very well that I am not enlightened, that I have not experienced the highest possible level of consciousness to the fullest and I know that there is still a lot to learn and experience. That is why I would never say I use or send Reiki.

But that's just me and my take on this and what I learned from my teachers.

There is of course nothing wrong with using the word as a general term for any kind of universal energy. It's just that it might create confusion.

*Gasshō*
    Frank
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 pm

Frank wrote:Hi,

I do 'send' energy and I am able to distinguish (and 'use'/'send') several different energy frequencies but I wouldn't call it Reiki. "Reiki" is a word for the energy coming from the highest possible consciousness, in my humble view and experience with Usui Reiki Ryōhō (as I already explained).

If I would say I sent someone Reiki, I would also say/imply something about my consciousness.
    I know very well that I am not enlightened, that I have not experienced the highest possible level of consciousness to the fullest and I know that there is still a lot to learn and experience. That is why I would never say I use or send Reiki.

There is of course nothing wrong with using the word as a general term for any kind of universal energy. It's just that it might create confusion.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

sunny I need to digest/ponder your words.
    maybe some other folks will share their
    interpretation on this subject study
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:54 pm

Frank wrote:Hi,

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Hi Frank

So, would you say that Reiki is something that arises spontaneously as a result of you using/sending these "several different energy frequencies"?

Or does your intention, as a Reiki practitioner, come into play as well?

Smile
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:58 pm

hi buddies.

i often gather feeling that reiki is more a 'product' like thing (e.g., thought coming into action)... i have variously failed to convince myself that reiki is omnipresent (as Vijay says) or that it is universally available all the time, everytime, etc. also, i fail to understand if there is a universal pool/reservoir of energy from which we channel something when we are in a reiki session.

my abrupt comprehension about reiki so far suggests (to me, of course Wink ) that reiki is the name of entire experience we call a reiki session.. reiki, to me, seems to be coming into existence spontaneously (or instantaneously) as and when a properly empowered person (an initiate) uses his intention to start a session... (again, the role of intention is to 'trigger' a happening, and not more)... reiki is not energy per se... energy is only a resultant vector which we are able to measure on physical planes... on non-physical planes, reiki (or reiki experience) seems to connect one to one's spirit ( or enhances this connection) and further to entire universe... that is why ONENESS is so central to reiki phenomenon...

however, there is certainly a therapautic element to reiki, and since we know about reiki mostly due to its amazing healing potential in the first instance, we have to apply all our faculties of mind and logical thinking to analyze that in physical matters, how reiki differs from other energy modalities... and when we divulge in this through process, we need help of established physical concept like frequency and then specific frequencies as opposed to general frequencies of our aura... and so on...

why reiki systems seem to vary in experience (and even in spiritual experience) is probably because spiritual connection is a multi-level phenomenon... as reality is also multi-level... each reiki style carries different 'flavour' because it attempts to connect to a specific level of spiritual presence, and if we free ourselves from thinking physically (or relatively) there is no such thing like higher level or lower level of spiritual connection... once connection is there, all goes into best service !

hope i was able to pour more confusion into subject rather than wiping it off Laughing

take care

salman
    Frank
    Frank

Post by Frank Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:11 pm

Hi Colin,

No, I would also not say Reiki arises as a result of sending different energy frequencies (in this context).
    It does touch a concept within Usui-sensei's teachings (practices with one energy at first, moving to a second, combining exercises and leading to a certain level of consciousness), but that goes too far for this discussion.

Reiki, for me, is the energy originating or coming from the highest level of consciousness. (It is the complete spectrum of energy frequencies; the Light; the energy of ultimate balance and harmony; energy of the enlightened.)
    As long as I am not one with the highest consciousness, I will not radiate Reiki. And when I don't radiate Reiki I cannot use, send or offer it.

Would I say I radiate Reiki (energy of highest consciousness/complete balance/enlightenment/perfect harmony/ultimate happiness/etc.)? Would I say I am one with the highest level of consciousness?

No, definitely not.
    That is why I don't talk about sending Reiki, using Reiki or manifesting Reiki.

I can use a wide range of energy frequencies, yet.. as long as it is not the complete spectrum (complete spectrum in perfect harmony in my view only originates from the highest level of consciousness.. consciousness that is completely free, without boundaries and ego), I won't call it Reiki.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm