Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
6 posters

The Gokai 'User Instructions' ...

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

The Gokai 'User Instructions' ... Empty The Gokai ''User Instructions'' ...

Post by Rlei_ki Wed May 13, 2009 2:44 am

"Asa yuu gassho shite kokoro ni neji kuchi ni tonaeyo"

"Mornings and evenings sit in the gassho position and repeat these words out loud and in your heart.
    "

I believe it is fair to say that, for those of us who do follow these Gokai 'User Instructions' many of us view this practice from a perspective of bringing ourselves once more (albeit temporarily) to a state of mindful awareness of the five key elements of the Spiritual Path taught by Usui-sensei.

Yet, what are the implications for our personal and Spiritual development, when we cease to consider this practice as the affirmation of a set principles, and begin to think of it in terms of the taking of a solemn Oath...

"Just for today:
    I will not anger, I will not worry..."

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

The Gokai 'User Instructions' ... Empty Re: The Gokai 'User Instructions' ...

Post by Milarepa Sat May 16, 2009 10:30 am

Initially, what comes to mind is obviously a huge responsibility.

Kinda corney remark here. When i think of films such as 'The Last Samurai' (which recieved positive acalim in Japan in general), by the looks of the way they actually went about their everyday activities, devoting themselves a smuch as possible to whatever they were doing, it kinda seems very plausible that even though the Gokai are probably from a health book (by Bizan Suzuki) it's likely fair to say, that in Japan, they'd regard the Gokai with as much healthy focus, as anything else incorported into a spiritual path.

Anyhow, if one was to move from a set of affirmations (which we only merely have to consciously attempt), to an actual taking of a solemn oath, provided we actually honour the path in the first place, the outcome, although perhaps initially uncomfortable in ways, could only be exceptionally beneficial, personally, and spiritually.

Many thanks for this food for thought!

Take care
    Wayne
    hialeah
    hialeah

Post by hialeah Sun May 17, 2009 10:31 am

I was taught Reiki as a palm healing system. The spiritual perspective was included but not emphasized in any way. It was through my own daily self-practice I began to think that maybe Reiki was a spiritual path. I found reciting the precepts centering. I never thought of it as an oath of any sort. However, after 2 years of reciting the 5 precepts daily I'm aware of when I'm not applying them. This nearly always brings the precepts to mind with a reminder to live them. Perhaps this is an oath?
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Sun May 17, 2009 7:01 pm

I'm very wary of "taking oaths" after it was explained to me that my present life had been influenced by three previous lives in which I'd been a nun: firstly as just a nun, secondly as an anchorite, and thirdly as an abbess. I'd taken vows of poverty three times and this had influenced my position here.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sun May 17, 2009 11:28 pm

Pandora wrote:I'm very wary of "taking oaths" ...

OK then, instead of 'oath', think 'promise'.

And remember, we are not talking about a life-long promise (and certainly not a multiple-lifetime promise)

All that is being promised is "Just for today"

Just for the next "24 hours little hours".

What if we choose to commit to really LIVE the five principles with every fibre of our being for just one day (even if we never choose to do so ever again)

What if, rather than simply reciting the Gokai as a reminder of what we should do, we make a conscious decision that, no matter what happens, no matter what situations or circumstances we find ourselves in, no matter what excuses we manage to come up with, no matter how much it hurts:

Simply for one single unbroken 24-hour period out of our whole life

we will not become angry (and will not cause others to become angry)
    we will not worry (and will not give others cause others to worry)
    we will live from a place of deep gratitude
    we will put our Heart and Soul into everything we do
    and we will be kind to others (and ourselves)

Scary thought, isn't it?

silent
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon May 18, 2009 12:58 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Pandora wrote:I'm very wary of "taking oaths" ...

OK then, instead of 'oath', think 'promise'.

And remember, we are not talking about a life-long promise (and certainly not a multiple-lifetime promise)

All that is being promised is "Just for today"

Just for the next "24 hours little hours".

What if we choose to commit to really LIVE the five principles with every fibre of our being for just one day (even if we never choose to do so ever again)

What if, rather than simply reciting the Gokai as a reminder of what we should do, we make a conscious decision that, no matter what happens, no matter what situations or circumstances we find ourselves in, no matter what excuses we manage to come up with, no matter how much it hurts:

Simply for one single unbroken 24-hour period out of our whole life

we will not become angry (and will not cause others to become angry)
    we will not worry (and will not give others cause others to worry)
    we will live from a place of deep gratitude
    we will put our Heart and Soul into everything we do
    and we will be kind to others (and ourselves)

Scary thought, isn't it?

silent

I would actually counter that we split it up into ambiguous time units called moments.

Because 24 hours, which is actually roughly 16 to 20 depending how much sleep you get, can be rather daunting.

I know the Gokai uses the phrase, "just for today."

But I think if you break it down and make that choice very moment the impetus for that choice arises, it will make this much easier to move through.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon May 18, 2009 1:06 am

Thaak wrote:

I would actually counter that we split it up into ambiguous time units called moments.

I can appreciate this view. It's right into Eckhart Tolle area, being only the true time is now, this moment. reallly mindfull approach.

Take care
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Thu May 21, 2009 1:57 am

Thaak wrote:Because 24 hours,..... can be rather daunting.

exactly the reason to go with "Just for today" rather than "just for a moment"

..I think if you break it down and make that choice very moment the impetus for that choice arises, it will make this much easier to move through.

IMO, the "easier" option isn't necessarily the best...

Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Thu May 21, 2009 2:08 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Thaak wrote:Because 24 hours,..... can be rather daunting.

exactly the reason to go with "Just for today" rather than "just for a moment"

..I think if you break it down and make that choice very moment the impetus for that choice arises, it will make this much easier to move through.

IMO, the "easier" option isn't necessarily the best...

I disagree whole-heartedly here. And it isn't about taking the "easier way out" so to speak.

Its about allowing ourselves to be human. If we recognize that we are human, and that we will make mistakes, then we can choose to forgive ourselves and not judge ourselves when those mistakes are made.

This includes taking an oath or making a promise to ones self to adhere to the Gokai.

We will back slide on these, at least at first (perhaps even in the first few years.)

Now you might say, that those truly on a spiritual path will use their willpower to adhere for 24 straight hours at a time.

I rebut to that, that for many people, this is their first introduction to this sort of self-awareness. Just like in meditation, you don’t tell someone new to meditate without letting their mind wander for 20 minutes. It just isn’t possible for most people, and even for many people who have been meditating for years.

So you tell them to gently bring their attention back to the meditation at hand without judgment or self-recrimination.

This works for the Gokai as well. You allow yourself baby steps, and eventually those moments will turn into hours, then days, then weeks, then months…
    Arabella
    Arabella

Post by Arabella Mon May 25, 2009 9:10 am

I like to focus on them at the start of the day as a way of setting my intention for the day ahead.

But then I sometimes need to remind myself of them multiple times through the day and that way they've gotten me through some rough bumps on the road. Moments arise where I'm reacting to something in a less-than-helpful way and bringing the principles to mind helps set me straight.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:03 am