Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

    Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Share
    avatar
    Reikijim
    Member
    Member

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by Reikijim on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:02 am

    Pandora wrote:Firstly, Jim, I'd be happier if you changed the title to "The Business of Reiki". Spiritualism in the UK at least is a religion and is not related to Reiki - indeed, some Spiritualists have the same attitude to Reiki as the RC Church does!

    Wow!...things are different in the U.K. than here in Canada. Here in Canada we say..."I`m spiritual, but not religious"...Reminds me of a joke that applies...well indirectly at least..."The United States and Britain, Two countries separated by a common language!"I see your point of view...Yet, of course I wrote this from my point of view, and to me reiki is a VERY spiritual pursuit.

    Pandora wrote:
    Secondly - and you may view this as a contradiction to what I've written above, however I am not a spiritualist.

    So I gotta ask a dumb question...probably because i am challenged in the area of exact definitions...my brain does not function in that realm...Very Happy
    I believe in spirit...so I`m a spiritual person...If you believe in spirit, does this not make you so as well?. I`m guessing the term has a religious context to you, where as it does not with me...


    Pandora wrote:
    I am, however, a spiritual healer, teacher and assessor for an organisation in the UK, and our syllabus covers all the sorts of support, counselling and life coaching that your post refers to. None of which are covered at all in any of the syllabuses that I've seen for Reiki teaching.

    Over the past year I've had a student who asked me to teach her in both healing modalities, and it's given me the same sort of insight as I think you're getting at. Combining the two means - to me - that the Reiki tuition is enhanced, while the spiritual side is enhanced by the practice (and protection etc) of Reiki.

    Yes!

    The internet allows one to make much information in text available to another, and in some ways facilitates better communication. This, I would definitely view as an advantage, as long as the info is relevant and useful to the recipient. Yet...there would appear to be, to me at least, a limitation inherent to the medium...
    To sit and talk with someone, to watch their body language, the tone of their voice, and to feel the energy that they are radiating, this adds so much more to help me connect with the student, or client for that matter.
    I can`t help but relay things based on my own experience, and i would think it fair to say, that most do communicate this way.
    So... When I was initiated to level 2, it REALLY ROCKED MY WORLD... my teacher was no where to be found. I still feel that this was a dis-service to Reiki. From this experience I`ve developed the opinion that our teachers should be accessible to the student during the adjustment period after an attunement.

    Pandora wrote:
    I'm envisaging writing a combined syllabus, but I've shied away from it because (a) I don't think I'm in the right place at the moment (but I now have a being at my shoulder telling me "pull the other one"!) and (b) I'll upset the Reiki community and I think I might upset the spiritual healing organisation, which I really don't want to do as they accredit the SH course and provide my insurance.

    Yes I can see a need for consideration in this for sure...


    Pandora wrote:
    Reiki changes lives and situations, and I can attest to that (have posted in another place on here as to how). Reiki Masters have some form of responsibility for this, but I have yet to come across any form of Reiki, Traditional or otherwise, that is explicit about that.

    i agree...my position in responsibility is a personal one.

    Pandora wrote:
    While I accept that we cannot be responsible for the spiritual growth of our students - only they can do that - we can be responsible for how we support our students along their spiritual path.

    Yes!...my thoughts as well

    Pandora wrote:
    This will definitely be different for Western students, as it will be different for Japanese students, for Indian students, because of the cultural differences, and that's one reason why I don't feel traditional Japanese Reiki systems are entirely appropriate for Westerners to follow.

    Thanks for the post Jim, you're a catalyst in more ways than one!


    I think, I can see reasons why a traditional Japanese reiki system may not be as popular/appropriate to teach in a western nation. One reason would be that most here want angels and crystals and all sorts of stuff added in...That`s the western way...we want everything, and we want it now...Rolling Eyes For me, that becomes all the more reason to promote a predominately Japanese system in North America. Of course, both systems have their place, it depends on what one is looking for!

    Cultural differences do affect things greatly. Even our communication.

    Thanks for you`re comments Pandora....most helpful and thoughtful Smile
    avatar
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by Pandora on Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:09 pm

    Reikijim wrote:
    Pandora wrote:Firstly, Jim, I'd be happier if you changed the title to "The Business of Reiki". Spiritualism in the UK at least is a religion and is not related to Reiki - indeed, some Spiritualists have the same attitude to Reiki as the RC Church does!

    Wow!...things are different in the U.K. than here in Canada. Here in Canada we say..."I`m spiritual, but not religious"...Reminds me of a joke that applies...well indirectly at least..."The United States and Britain, Two countries separated by a common language!"I see your point of view...Yet, of course I wrote this from my point of view, and to me reiki is a VERY spiritual pursuit.

    Pandora wrote:
    Secondly - and you may view this as a contradiction to what I've written above, however I am not a spiritualist.

    So I gotta ask a dumb question...probably because i am challenged in the area of exact definitions...my brain does not function in that realm...Very Happy
    I believe in spirit...so I`m a spiritual person...If you believe in spirit, does this not make you so as well?. I`m guessing the term has a religious context to you, where as it does not with me...

    OK Jim, I define myself as "spiritual but not religious" too. That, in the UK at least, means I do not associate myself with any of the churches or non-Christian religions. There are two forms of Spiritualism that are recognised as churches: Christian Spiritualist and National Spiritualist. Most people who use the above definitions do not align themselves with either of these two churches. People who go to these churches call themselves "Spiritualist" rather than "spiritual". Those 3 little letters at the end of "Spiritual" make all the difference!

    So what do Spiritualists believe? That it is possible to contact and communicate with the dead via mediumship. Not all mediums are Spiritualists: there are natural mediums (such as my friend Ruth) who've been doing it all their lives, but who have never had any association with the Spiritualist churches. As I'm not a member either I can't say what else they believe: maybe Google will help, or Beliefnet.
    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by chi_solas on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:59 am

    ReikiJim google Lily Dale Canada.
    My Canadian friend Sheila was doing
    her intern at Lily Dale I was one of
    her subjects. She lived in Calgary at
    the time and now lives in Toronto. I
    believe she is Unitarian. Smile


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com
    avatar
    Reikijim
    Member
    Member

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by Reikijim on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:40 pm

    chi_solas wrote:ReikiJim google Lily Dale Canada.
    My Canadian friend Sheila was doing
    her intern at Lily Dale I was one of
    her subjects. She lived in Calgary at
    the time and now lives in Toronto. I
    believe she is Unitarian. Smile

    Thanks Bridget, I will check this out Smile
    avatar
    Reikijim
    Member
    Member

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by Reikijim on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:51 pm

    Pandora wrote:

    Firstly, Jim, I'd be happier if you changed the title to "The Business of Reiki". Spiritualism in the UK at least is a religion and is not related to Reiki - indeed, some Spiritualists have the same attitude to Reiki as the RC Church does!


    Reikijim wrote:

    Wow!...things are different in the U.K. than here in Canada. Here in Canada we say..."I`m spiritual, but not religious"...Reminds me of a joke that applies...well indirectly at least..."The United States and Britain, Two countries separated by a common language!"I see your point of view...Yet, of course I wrote this from my point of view, and to me reiki is a VERY spiritual pursuit.

    Pandora wrote:

    Secondly - and you may view this as a contradiction to what I've written above, however I am not a spiritualist.


    Reikijim wrote:

    So I gotta ask a dumb question...probably because i am challenged in the area of exact definitions...my brain does not function in that realm...Very Happy
    I believe in spirit...so I`m a spiritual person...If you believe in spirit, does this not make you so as well?. I`m guessing the term has a religious context to you, where as it does not with me...


    Pandora wrote:

    OK Jim, I define myself as "spiritual but not religious" too. That, in the UK at least, means I do not associate myself with any of the churches or non-Christian religions. There are two forms of Spiritualism that are recognised as churches: Christian Spiritualist and National Spiritualist. Most people who use the above definitions do not align themselves with either of these two churches. People who go to these churches call themselves "Spiritualist" rather than "spiritual". Those 3 little letters at the end of "Spiritual" make all the difference!

    So what do Spiritualists believe? That it is possible to contact and communicate with the dead via mediumship. Not all mediums are Spiritualists: there are natural mediums (such as my friend Ruth) who've been doing it all their lives, but who have never had any association with the Spiritualist churches. As I'm not a member either I can't say what else they believe: maybe Google will help, or Beliefnet.




    Hi Pandora,

    Ummm....not sure those churches exist in Canada...I will do some looking... But a very interesting concept to be sure...
    And thanks for clarifying my confusion...Considering the cultural diversities offered in Britain, and the continent of Europe, I should have known there would be many more spiritual/spiritualist, diversities and beliefs on your side of the pond.

    Wow...churches that accept mediums...that`s not anything i ever expected to see...with a "church" tag affixed to it...I would like to meet some of those people..as this is something I have never encountered in North America.

    thanks for this Pandora...very interesting stuff

    Smile RJ

    Sponsored content

    Re: Interesting Spiritual/Spiritualist OrgannizationsCoffeeBar

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:08 am