Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Milarepa
Shakti ~ Rising
6 posters

UK Reiki Federation

Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

UK Reiki Federation Empty UK Reiki Federation

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:10 pm

hmmmm I didn't renew my membership this year..feeling rather let down by them and haven't gained much by being part of it......

how do others feel??

I went to a reiki conference organised by the fed last year...and for once it was UUP NORTH!! hooray me thinks..... and Reiki and Science was on the agenda, I was so looking forward to the day....but came away feeling let down and completely dissappointed.

But I have to say the venue was amazing...a beautiful Healing Sanctuary which in itself was worth the trip.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

UK Reiki Federation Empty Re: UK Reiki Federation

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:53 pm

Never had them, won't either, Smile.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:59 pm

are you part of any regulatory body or organisation??......if not do you find it difficult to practice professionally?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:07 pm

hav'nt taught or practiced professionaly in about 2 years i tihnk sharon. Personal stuff to deal with, and wanted to try to sort out what's what in Reiki, as far as i should know anyhow.

I was with the IARP. Lots actually seem to go to them, They're quite good. end of the day, they give the insurance, hehe.

I prob will go back to them soon though, i'm thinking of forming some kind of treatment plan to bring Reiki to addicts. BTW, anyone reading this, please feel free to advise me on anything you might think is helpful (sorry for hijakcing your thread sharon), PM would be good, Smile.

ultimately, many don't ask for insurance. Course it's not recommended at all not to have insurance. Even when i was treating folks in th emedical profession, and moving into Reiki going into a Cancer ward, no-one ever asked. I guess they assumed. Although, if it turned out one hadn't insurance, that's a very un-professional approach to show other professional.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:17 pm

hmmmm I think one should ALWAYS be covered with insurance!!......I haven't practised propfessionally this year myself.....been busy with personal life also..... I miss my volunteer work but I don't have the spare time at the moment.

as for hijacking this thread be my guest I love when threads go off on all different tangents.....its more like a real discussion and conversation...I hate when these site always stress to people to 'keep on topic'.......best not to be to anal I say!! ahahahah
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:24 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:
    as for hijacking this thread be my guest I love when threads go off on all different tangents.....its more like a real discussion and conversation...I hate when these site always stress to people to 'keep on topic'.......best not to be to anal I say!! ahahahah

Gotta gree with you really. My damn political correctedness forum etiquitte coming into play there. best get rid of that damn quick!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:28 pm

Aye, be gone anal traits!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:32 pm

lol!
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:34 pm

I'm a member, but I only joined to get info on the National Occupational Stanards for Reiki. I've had some contacts via the website, but I have to say I've found them all inappropriate and not what I consider to be true spiritual enquirers after Reiki (more looking to do it on a business level).

My insurance comes via my spiritual healers association, it's way cheaper than anywhere else and covers me for any therapy I consider myself qualified to practise. This means I'm covered for the crystal Reiki stuff, as I've had an attunement from Temple of Peace but I'm still doing his course. However, I've been using crystals for a good 40 years!

The insurance is an absolute must these days: everywhere I work I have to provide a copy of my certificate (I usually give them a copy of the accompanying letter which states which therapies and training it covers me for too), including at the hospice. It seems to be the way prospective employers judge if you're serious about practising, rather than someone who has a money-spinning hobby. By "employers" I include schools and charities who have me there as a therapist at their fundraising evenings.

My RM recommended the Reiki Healers and Teachers Society, but they wanted to see my symbols as well as the certificates, and I thought that was superfluous. I shall probably not be a member of a Reiki association at all next year, and just stick with the FHT and Healers2006.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:55 pm

Pandora wrote:
    My insurance comes via my spiritual healers association, it's way cheaper than anywhere else and covers me for any therapy I consider myself qualified to practise.

Would it cover you for things like Yoga also?
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:04 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Pandora wrote:
    My insurance comes via my spiritual healers association, it's way cheaper than anywhere else and covers me for any therapy I consider myself qualified to practise.

Would it cover you for things like Yoga also?

I'm not a Yoga practitioner so no it wouldn't. However, the association does have Yoga practitioners and teachers and they have their insurance through us, so I'd say it was available.

I have named the therapies I offer and consider myself qualified to practise and they appear on the covering letter, so that's why I attach a copy of the letter to the policy certificate.
    JohnC
    JohnC

Post by JohnC Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:54 am

Wayne,

You'd be eligible to join Reiki Federation Ireland, you know...

You have to have insurance to get on the practitioners list, and follow the guidelines for training, and would have to have an appropriate qualification (i.e. not an internet attunement).

They also offer reduced malpractice rates.

There's a social aspect to it but, for me, belonging to a Reiki federation is about accepting the requirement for appropriate professional standards, and helping to promote Reiki to enable universal access and recognition (i.e. in hospitals, and as a therapy that BUPA/VHI recognise as a refundable treatment).

The committees of such organisations are always looking for volunteers - and it's these volunteers that ultimately drive the direction and success of the organisations.

John
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:25 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:hmmmm I didn't renew my membership this year..feeling rather let down by them and haven't gained much by being part of it......

how do others feel??

I went to a reiki conference organised by the fed last year...and for once it was UUP NORTH!! hooray me thinks..... and Reiki and Science was on the agenda, I was so looking forward to the day....but came away feeling let down and completely dissappointed.

But I have to say the venue was amazing...a beautiful Healing Sanctuary which in itself was worth the trip.

Hi Sharon,

So, it IS Sharon from the Langho Sanctuary UKRF conference!
    cheers
    Remember we had a little chat there? Smile

I am still a member (mainly because I get a discount for my insurance through them and I have my subscription paid by standing order) but I am extremely disappointed in the way things are developing with the UKRF/UK Reiki Council etc. and will seriously be thinking about cancelling my subscription in 2010.

I think it is valuable to belong to an organisation which has a Code of Ethics and Complaints Procedure etc. as it gives clients a little more confidence but I think that my Reiki practice is more what they termed "folk art" Reiki in their UK Reiki Regulation Roadshows, rather than a professional therapy practice. Laughing

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 pm

OOh Colin!!! HELLO!! cheers

I'm afraid I never contacted your friends whom you were kind enough to put me onto..life's been quite hectic this year.... But I did catch up with My Reiki Teacher and went to a lovely share up this end... I love you

nice to see you here!!..I'm not part of any Reiki organisation at the moment, but I am still a member of the FHT with whom I have insurance for the different therapies I offer..

I haven't been back to Langho yet but would love to, what a beautiful place and a wonderful man who runs it.... I love you
    Lois
    Lois

Post by Lois Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi everyone, I am not a member of any organisation, have looked into it a lot though but feel a bit let down. When we talk about professional standards I just felt unable to join the UK Reiki Fed because of a situation I had seen take place, ie, a practitioner joining and advertising themselves on the UK Reiki Fed website as a Master Teacher and Practitioner, I knew this person was not even able to give a Reiki Treatment. This person joined to actually advertise themselves to get students to teach Reiki.
    How could they claim to be able to teach Reiki, how can you show someone how to give a Reiki Treatment when you couldn't yourself??! Or maybe it is just my opinion that you should be competent before you show others.
    That left me very disapointed and decided I could not join a federation that could allow this to happen, that to me is allowing someone to join fraudulently - but how do you deal with this?
    My personal choice and thoughts. The fact I am not affiliated to anywhere doesnt cause me any problems as a practitioner, I volunteer at North Tees Hospital for the George Hardwick Foundation, providing Reiki and Crystal Therapy, and it hasnt affected any clients. I have my insurance through Holistic Insurance Services.
    Love Light and Hugs x
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 pm

thats not good at all Lois.....and yet the UK Fed try and perpetuate the idea that only practitioners with all the 'appropriate' credentrials, may join ........things that make you go hmmmmm!!!

glad to here that not being affiliated to any organisation hasn't held you back in anyway.... I used to think these organisations acted as a saftey net and supportive group when we come across issues regarding our practice..... not the case.....

as long as we are all insured to practice and abide by a strict code of ethics and practice....then we should all be ok I may look into some other organisations as I believe some government rules are changing regarding the practice of certain 'holistic' therapies....but even on that regard I found the info coming from the UK fed highly confusing and counterproductive!! EEK!!
    Lois
    Lois

Post by Lois Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:22 am

the person had certifcates and lineage, Master teacher Level too, so I suppose UK Reiki Fed's hands were tied, I find it all very confusing there are so many organistations to join!! But how should memebers be asessed, so many styles, types of Reiki, different Crystal Therapists work in different ways...not an easy task!!
    Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council is the council that is endorsed by Prince Of Wales, this is the one I would consider joining as Prince Charles has always been an advocate for complementary therapists.
    Love Light and Hugs xx
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:09 am

Lois wrote:the person had certifcates and lineage, Master teacher Level too, so I suppose UK Reiki Fed's hands were tied, I find it all very confusing there are so many organistations to join!! But how should memebers be asessed, so many styles, types of Reiki, different Crystal Therapists work in different ways...not an easy task!!
    Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council is the council that is endorsed by Prince Of Wales, this is the one I would consider joining as Prince Charles has always been an advocate for complementary therapists.
    Love Light and Hugs xx

Except that the CNHC does not yet accept Reiki Practitioners or Crystal Therapists on its register. Sad

Reiki is amongst those therapies which will be covered from late 2009/early 2010 though, apparently.

Also, it gets very confusing because here in the UK there are 3 levels of beaurocracy when it comes to professional Reiki!

There are "professional" organisations, such as the UK Reiki Federation and Reiki Association, who, in the case of the UKRF say : "We are an independent federation of individuals who have been attuned to Reiki, with the objective of forming a national umbrella organisation for education, training and guidance in the public practice of Reiki."

There is the UK Reiki Council which consists of the main professional organisations, such as the UKRF and Reiki Association etc. who say : "We are the lead advisory body for Reiki Practitioners in the UK. Through our member associations we represent the views of people giving Reiki to the public across the four countries of the UK We are a non profit-making body that sets standards and guidelines and provides information and advice"

Then there are also the Federal Regulatory organisations, made up of representative from the councils of the various complementary therapies being regulated. These organisations also hold a national register of practitioners. Examples of these are the General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapies (GRCCT), British Complementary Therapies Regulatory Council (BCTRC) and the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) - although only the first two currently cover Reiki. These Federal Regulators say :

" Acts in the interest of the public and has processes open and accountable to the public and the profession

• Independent of professional bodies

• Promotes the process of regulation

• Administers a single register of practitioners who meet agreed criteria.

• Works with the profession to agree and oversee minimum standards.

• Sets requirements for generic continuing professional development (CPD)

• Publishes codes of conduct and/or ethics

• Has a 'council' or governing body which includes lay and professional representatives

• Has published complaints & disciplinary procedures

• Provides information to the public about the therapy and what to expect.

• Liaises with government and other organisations when required.

• Operates Fitness to Practise procedures to remove practitioners from the register "

All of which have been set up for something which has not yet been scientificaly proved to the satisfaction of mainstream science, is still not generally medically accepted (in most cases) and will cost an arm and a leg each year for the practitioners in both finanical terms an time doing possibly unnecessary extra courses to make up their quota of Continuing Professional Development (CPD)points!

OK...rant over! Embarassed

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Lois
    Lois

Post by Lois Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:41 am

oh my Colin, I am soooo confused, I was aware the CNHC do not have Reiki or Crystal Therapy on their list, and being honest I dont really want to belong to any organisation, because I feel a lot are more about status and money than standards and support Shocked did I just say that out loud??!! But I also have a fear that the government are increasingly more likely to regulate Reiki Practitoners and Other Therapists, and that if I am not a member they will stop me from practicing. Maybe that's a unrealistic fear??!
    I am also looking at studying the diploma in Crystal Therapy at college also, becasue my training was 'in-house' - but it is a little frustrating that the syllabus is not as indepth as the training I have had....but it will however mean that I would have a government recognised qualification .....yes this subject gets me on a rant from time to time too
    Love Light and Hugs x
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:59 am

thanks for all that Info Colin, ( still very confusing) and I forgot all about the CPD's but luckily I'm covered on the points front for a while yet...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:21 am