Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+3
Milarepa
chi_solas
Reikijim
7 posters

What Is Being Grounded?

Reikijim
    Reikijim

What Is Being Grounded? Empty What Is Being Grounded?

Post by Reikijim Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:26 pm

Hello,

I was thinking the other day...What is being "grounded"? Through what thought, or at what point do we know this..hence, realizing our definition of this state of mind? I`ve read a few definitions on the web...all seem to have recognizable elements to me...Yet all the groups of definitions differ slightly...

So I wanted to ask anyone one who would like to explain...How do you know when you are grounded?...and...Do you, or have you, exercises or activities that will help promote this state of being?

Smile RJ
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

What Is Being Grounded? Empty Re: What Is Being Grounded?

Post by chi_solas Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Hmmm sounds like a brain teaser.

Being grounded is a term I don't
    seem to use. But then I'm not an
    electrician Idea

If I'm balanced am I grounded?
    Can I be grounded if I'm not balanced?scratch
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Besides airport chaos, hehe.

Feeling, dizzy, light-headed, feeling out of sorts. My first real spiritual expereinces where when i was 21. I was having amphetimine psychosis, and took it upon myself to get friends with a white witch. a really nice chap. Anyhow, he loaned me some bookms of Mantak Chia's. Holy Crap, didn't idiot boy here keep on doing third eye exercises for the buzz. It made me crazy. I would go into hysterics, feel i needed no company, lock myself in my room for days on end. If it wasn't so bleeding dangerous it'd actually been a ball. I hasn't a care in the world.

anyhow, here's more things..

Not living in 'la-la' land, simply assuming things cause everyone else is. Keeping common sense at the fore-front of everything, if there's contradictions,must be a reason.

Spritually, Hatsurei ho will ground you. Couple that with ( dare i say it) the use of our intellect, we are fusing our spiritually awakening internal expereinces whilst re-inforcing it with logic. For so many spiritual seekers, this has been an optimum way. It's called 'Mind/Body/Spirit' re-uniting, just for those whom say mind isn't needed, hehe.

Consideration should be gave to just what is expereinced and researched. It's took many, many years to fully take advantage of so many things. Nowadays, with the interent, and so much info available, a person can over-whelm themselves, even when they don't realise it. What can happen is that they amalgamate different traditions into another. Nothing inherently wrong in that, except a person may only superficially have an expereince of something and then, what they deem 'un-needed', and cast it aside.

Enter Usui Reiki. A classic case, your honour.

Take care
    Wayne
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm in alignment with Bridget on that one, and need to give this a bit more thought.

With various Wiccan/Pagan and Ceremonial systems I worked with when I was younger, grounding was a part of the practice as it involved grounding my energy into and with the Earth. Grounding was a means to cleanse, protect, stabilize and strengthen my system.

Reiki, however, involved my tuning-in to universal energies that continuously broadcast around and through us all. Tuning-in to these energies, healing energies, served to heal myself and all others involved... purging negative energies out of my system through Reiki wasn't a concern because Reiki healed them (transformed them into completely new, healthy and productive energies).
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:15 am

ReikiJim wrote:Hello,

I was thinking the other day...What is being "grounded"? Through what thought, or at what point do we know this..hence, realizing our definition of this state of mind? I`ve read a few definitions on the web...all seem to have recognizable elements to me...Yet all the groups of definitions differ slightly...

So I wanted to ask anyone one who would like to explain...How do you know when you are grounded?...and...Do you, or have you, exercises or activities that will help promote this state of being?

Smile RJ

chi_solas wrote:Hmmm sounds like a brain teaser.

Being grounded is a term I don't
    seem to use. But then I'm not an
    electrician Idea

If I'm balanced am I grounded?
    Can I be grounded if I'm not balanced?scratch

Good question ReikiJim!

Bridget, your response actually is a beautiful segue into what I wanted to say.

Electricity is merely energetic movement along a given path. In this case, electrons jumping from copper (or whatever conductor you choose) atom to copper atom along a wire from point A to point B. For a circuit to work well (in some cases a circuit won't work) it needs to be grounded.

Modern bio scientists have indicated that our body has electrochemical circuits (various nervous systems) and electromagnetic fields (EKG & EEG's measure them.)

Accupuncturists and Qi Gong practitioners use our body's energy meridians or lines and/or nodes to balance the energy our body naturally channels and/or creates/uses.

If we are not grounded, that means that our circuit is not working as efficiently as it could be. Thus the feeling of being buzzed or high--light headed or spacey.

Essentially, what we are doing when we are grounding ourself, is just that, grounding our electrical circuits so that we can operate more efficiently.

There are many exercises and meditation that can help us do this. The simplest is being aware of our feet touching the ground. The most complex requires memorization of 100 to 200 words, which brings back memories of reciting Shakespearean monologues.

All this being said, I think that the word "grounding" has become fad-ish or gauche in the new-age and fringe groups.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 am

This is certainly a learning lounge. bounce
    I can see all the chakras spinning sunny
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:32 pm

Thaak wrote:

All this being said, I think that the word "grounding" has become fad-ish or gauche in the new-age and fringe groups.

Hi Andy,

Yes...I agree with your quote. "New Age"...it is a fad as far as I can see...Alot of old teachings interpreted in "new ways" and wrapped in new packaging, for new people...lol...Ok..that was a joke...honestly.

Grounding seems like an inaccurate term, to some degree at least. There seems to be no single word that can fit this state of mind accurately...

The only time I really feel totally grounded, is when I`m fully engaged, mentally and physically in a task that requires focus and concentration...or when I`m running away from a Grizzly bear...The rest of the time...I float a bit...I would suppose that might be part of the reason i crave being bare footed most of the time...lol

And...I do not feel that grounded after Hatsurie ho...I noticed that you mentioned this Wayne...does not work this way for me...I feel great after the meditation...but not so much grounded as relaxed, calm and happy!....Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

Smile RJ
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:09 pm

RJ, I can identify with Bear feet
    I mean bare feet don't know what
    it is but I hate wearing shoes,
    slippers, socks, etc; more than
    getting splinters. Maybe running
    around bare footed has something
    to do with feeling grounded even
    if I'm not grounded. scratch

Being on the Reiki path does help
    me stay grounded with a solid
    foundation as I focus on the Reiki
    Principles that harmonize and balance
    my daily routines.What Is Being Grounded? 850837
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:49 pm

Reikijim wrote:
    The only time I really feel totally grounded, is when I`m fully engaged, mentally and physically in a task that requires focus and concentration...

When a person performs Hatsurei ho, they're meant to be fully engaged in every way, in the technique. Hatsurei ho is all about being mindfull, and being centered...

In actual fact, every single act within Reiki should be this way.

Reikijim wrote:
    And...I do not feel that grounded after Hatsurie ho...I noticed that you mentioned this Wayne...does not work this way for me...I feel great after the meditation...but not so much grounded as relaxed, calm and happy!....Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

You say you're not grounded, perhaps since you're not associating Hatsurei ho with the 'complete engagement' of other things you mention, Smile . Realxed, calm & happy are signs of being grounded anyhow.

To be aware of your Seika Tanden, the absolute base of your being, the physical centre of your gravity is a primary grounding technique in itself, and the beginning of Hatsurei ho. In fact, most mindfullness meditations (of which Hatsurei ho is Reiki prominent), will do this. It's up to the practitioner what way they go about this. Or, perhaps more importantly, what they perceive the actual act as.

Check this out...

# On 'Grounding'

Grounding' in the sense that the term is commonly used in Reiki can actually refer to a couple of different yet associated concepts:

The first, is about the electrical analogy of a 'ground-wire' - of creating a process for the release of harmful energies down into the earth for transformation...

The second, and perhaps more important, is about the process of constantly returning to a centred state of being 'here-now' - aware of yourself - yet at the same time, focussed on the external world that is part of your immediate experience.

Concerning this latter usage of the term, we can achieve grounding by the practice of various 'mindfulness meditations'.

Sometimes, however, without conscious invitation on our part, life itself assists in the process:

You are hurrying along a busy street in 'autopilot mode', subconsciously you know your intended route and your body is following it; but you are otherwise occupied with 'head-stuff'
    - that report due tomorrow morning; Chinese stir-fry or a microwave ready-meal for dinner; did I send that confirmation email; there was something I was supposed to do at 9pm, what was I... WOOOSH!
    A passing bus has just run through the biggest puddle the world has ever known - and you are suddenly absolutely drenched in very cold water...

That gasp of breath, that sudden, eyes-wide, freezing, shocked-back-into-the-moment – that’s grounding.

Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_random3.html

And dare i say it, off-topic, the study of HSZSN & it's daily mindfullness in Reiki is what this topic is all about. something (mindfullness) i fail miserably at still. Keep on keeping on though.

Take care
    Wayne
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:49 am

i fail miserably at still.
    Wayne if you are in the learning process
    as I find myself in many times. I would not
    see myself as failing miserably just needing
    to re-adjust. Self talk is part of grounding
    yourself and being aware that you need to
    polish up your skills. What Is Being Grounded? 850837

Maybe Pandora can give us more insight into
    how our self talk might play a role in grounding
    ourselves in mind,body,& spirit. sunny
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:37 am

chi_solas wrote:
    i fail miserably at still.
    Wayne if you are in the learning process
    as I find myself in many times. I would not
    see myself as failing miserably just needing
    to re-adjust. Self talk is part of grounding
    yourself and being aware that you need to
    polish up your skills. What Is Being Grounded? 850837

Maybe Pandora can give us more insight into
    how our self talk might play a role in grounding
    ourselves in mind,body,& spirit. sunny

Dunno about that!

I do believe we need to be more conscious of the words we use and their impact on others - and why we use those words. For example, if I'm talking to a group of students I may well use the words "fail miserably" when referring to some endeavour I did which didn't work out. These words would be chosen to try and build some rapport with them - put myself more on their level. It goes with my concept of what a teacher is: not someone who knows everything, and students are not people who know nothing. We are all learners and we are all teachers. It's just that some of us know the road and the signposts on this particular journey. If, however, I was talking to a business associate, I'd possibly choose "a learning experience" or "a blind alley" to describe the endeavour: less emotionally charged, more positive.

As to grounding etc. Let me think about that and I'll get back to you.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 am

Bridget has a very valid point, and i can see how much value her approach has.

I do agree with Chris, it's why i said what i said. I can come across as very aloof at times, and with plain ego. This seems to be when i write on forums. I'm not like this in-person. So the times i am aware of this, i do try to show that i recoqnise i'm a person whom can make mistakes also. So i don't come across as a bloody know-it-all.

Also, when i do remember my own personal failings, it brings to my mind what i need to focus on. Going full circle here, Bridget has actually been a great asset to me in semi-private chat, and Chris also, in public.

So much gratitude to you both! beat
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:16 am

Well Wayne, that's why we're all here!

heart smiley
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:18 am

Sometimes after Tai Chi, when I drive away, I become aware that I'm not fully concentrating and that's about the only time I feel not grounded! I bring myself back to the present and mildly admonish myself for nto concentrating.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:04 pm

It just occurred to me that once upon a time in the past, the ground was not the place of brimstone and hellfire some religions made it out to be, but rather a sacred utopia for all who passed from the realm of the living. It wasn't until recent times (as far as a few thousand years is concerned) that the sky and stars became a better place to be than in the ground.

It may also be that grounding is also a process of connecting to the original spiritual utopia....
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:33 pm

there's one of your personal interests/lifestyle coming ot the forefront there bro, with that comment. toally agree with you on certain Religions changing things!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:02 am

Buck wrote:It just occurred to me that once upon a time in the past, the ground was not the place of brimstone and hellfire some religions made it out to be, but rather a sacred utopia for all who passed from the realm of the living. It wasn't until recent times (as far as a few thousand years is concerned) that the sky and stars became a better place to be than in the ground.

It may also be that grounding is also a process of connecting to the original spiritual utopia....

I love you
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:11 am

there is a quote.....

The best things we can give our children are roots and wings
    ~

once we have roots ( are grounded) then we can fllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!

I too do not use the word grounded much, but for me being 'grounded' means being fully present and in the moment.... I also walk mindfully upon the earth, taking up her energy through the souls of my feet... being 'ungrounded' is being disconneted... quite often after certain types of holistic therapies people may feel 'ungrounded' and disconnected from their bodies and surroundings.... in an alternative state of awareness.....so expanded that they have lost the connection to their physical frames...... being grounded is being fully present in your body and not lost in your mind.......
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:12 am

'souls' of my feet, a Freudian slip?? ahahahah
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:29 am

execrcies for staying grounded??

well for years I've been doing a rainbow meditation on the chakras......which involves breathing in colour...... I breath in the the corresponding colours for the chakras below the heart up from the earth through the soles of my feet, I breath in green for the heart from directly infront of the heart from the front and back of my body.....I breath in the colours for the chakras above the heart through the top of my head..........and end with beautiful sparkling white light cascading over my body to the ground and being breathed up again through the soles of my feet ...its like a constant flow.... this feeds my whole system on all levels of being and keeps me fully alive and present.... I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 am