Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

A fish named...?

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

A fish named...? Empty A fish named...?

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:56 am

I've heard of a 'fish named wanda', but a fish named Colin?

British supermarket has rebranded a fish after shoppers said they were embarrassed to ask for it by name, it said Monday. Hake is closely related to the pollack. The humble pollack will be sold by Sainsbury's as "colin" -- pronounced "co-lan," and French for the closely-related hake -- with a limited edition in packaging inspired by abstract expressionist artist Jackson Pollock.

"It seems daft that pollack isn't more popular, particularly when it's readily available off our own coast, tastes great and is cheaper than cod," said designer Wayne Hemingway, founder of clothes company Red or Dead who designed the packaging.

"Image really is everything; so to help colin stand out on-shelf we've used bold, bright colours and a design that is cheekily inspired by another well-known pollack."

To an English ear, "pollack" sounds unfortunately like a slang word for testicles, as well being close to two other words used as insults, one of them racist.

Sainsbury's environment manager Alison Austin said the rebranding initiative would also help protect dwindling stocks of other fish which are more typically eaten as part of Britain's famous fish and chips culture.

"We want to help highlight that there are species to eat other than cod and haddock, which are just as tasty and often cheaper," she told the Guardian daily.

"Many people have said that they can't even tell the difference in taste between cod or pollack, so we urge everyone to try 'colin and chips' on a Friday," she added. Fish is traditionally eaten on a Friday for reasons originally linked to Catholicism.

Sainsbury's said sales of pollack are tiny compared to those of more mainstream fish cod and haddock -- in March it sold just 3,947 units, compared to 52,904 of cod and 98,722 of haddock.

source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/18/20090406/tod-british-supermarket-rebrands-fish-to-6058bda.html

I'm not sure i'd like to go shopping for a bit of 'Colan' for tea! lol! .

take care
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

A fish named...? Empty A fish named...

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:18 am

Milarepa wrote:
    I'm not sure i'd like to go shopping for a bit of 'Co-lan' for tea! lol! .

And I'm not sure Monsieur Co-lan Pow-elle* would like it either... Shocked
    [*In case anyone is confused, I'm referring to our Monsieur Co-lan Pow-elle (Reiki Pure & Simple) - not the American General and Statesman]
    Cool

Last edited by Rlei_ki on Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
    JohnC
    JohnC

A fish named...? Empty Re: A fish named...?

Post by JohnC Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:57 am

Carp affraid
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:12 am

Hmm...maybe I should change my name to Pollack? Yes...Pollack Powell it certainly has a ring to it!
    Laughing
    Ai to Hikari
    Pollack Powell lol!
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 pm

Colin wrote:Hmm...maybe I should change my name to Pollack? Yes...Pollack Powell it certainly has a ring to it!
    Laughing
    Ai to Hikari
    Pollack Powell lol!

oh, Pollack Powell ...

right...

for a moment there I thought you might be considering Pollack as a surname
    (in which case I was gonna suggest you change Colin to Jackson) tongue

BTW, do you ever get mistaken for the other Colin Powell?
    Not 'Co-lin'- the General
    the other one, the 70's/80's footballer - played for Charlton Athletic(??).

unless...

no it can't be...

you're middle name's not David is it?
    Laughing
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:34 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

BTW, do you ever get mistaken for the other Colin Powell?
    Not 'Co-lin'- the General
    the other one, the 70's/80's footballer - played for Charlton Athletic(??).

unless...

no it can't be...

you're middle name's not David is it?
    Laughing
    Actually...
    No - not really! Although I did receive some e-mails from Vietnam veterans and an invitation to do an after dinner speech a while back! Smile
    I don't have a middle name and I am not interested in football. So that is not me.
    Also, I am not the other other Colin Powell (aka Cozy Powell) the drummer from the 70s and 80s! Smile
    There are a lot of us around, it seems!
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content