Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

John Harvey Gray Reiki videos

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

John Harvey Gray Reiki videos Empty John Harvey Gray Reiki videos

Post by Colin Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am

Hi All

I thought some of you might be interested in seeing John Harvey Gray, one of Hawayo Takata's Reiki Master students on video, talking about his view of certain aspects of Reiki.

The first video is a section of a level one class in which he, but mainly Lourdes, his current partner, talk about Reiki self-treatment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hwi0_ELnC8

The next video is of John demonstrating how to obtain information about physical vitality and personal growth by scanning the heart and third eye chakras.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS7CTgvTKBg

As most of you will know, Hawayo Takata did not teach about chakras, although she did teach about scanning. It is through some of her students, such as John, applying Takata's teachings to the chakras that many people nowadays learn that Reiki is all about examining and balancing the chakras. This can be useful but it should be remembered that this way of using Reiki was not what was originally taught by Dr Hayashi or Hawayo Takata (or, presumably, Mikao Usui). Smile

Still, it is interesting to watch the actual technique John uses for scanning.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

John Harvey Gray Reiki videos Empty Re: John Harvey Gray Reiki videos

Post by Milarepa Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Many thanks for this Colin, i'll look at it in detail soon, Smile.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:31 am

Were they called chakras back in Usui's day ?

According to the idea of the alchemists (and to old Ayurvedic teachings on health) life energy is closely connected to the ‘light of the seven planets’. The seven planets were added to the five planets known at that time: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Sun and Moon (in Ayurveda there are nine planets, here both moon knots-’planets’ Rahu and Ketu are included as well). Everything on earth emerges from the rays or energies of these planets.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:14 am

In sanskrit it's derived from cakram, there's equivalent word in most languages. There's 7 or 8 major chakras, with over 100 smaller ones. It's been suggested by some that ths chinese energetic system was influenced by chakras, although the chinese system is far more detailed. In Qiogng for example, there's 12 meridians, but possibly over 365 acupuncture points.
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:07 am

it would be interesting to know that certain items within our bodies need a passive attention instead of an active focus...

i hear so much about chakra balancing stuff.... while it could be a deep science but every practitioner is not destined for its depths... if we partake chakra balancing over whatever else we have left out in reiki, this is a second viewpoint and indeed a personal preference matter....

giving too much importance to chakra's during reiki is often a matter of personal preference and this might stem from effectiveness of certain techniques of chakra balancing in empirical studies...

it is not bad to give chakras to reiki, as i would like to give reiki to the throat, stomach, back muscles, thigh cartridges, etc. but if we develop a view by constant practice that we heal since reiki balances the chakras, it might be a start of jumping into another system....

we have to decide ourselves what we want ? we need healing or we need chakra balancing as a necessary condition....

if my belief is concentrated in the view that unless my chakra's balance, i cannot heal myself, this might be another approach, and of course no harm in it... but i have to at least clarify myself that what is more important for me... a beilief that reiki balances chakras and 'therefore' we heal... or a belief that reiki heals since it heals Smile

i can recall initial discussions with a local RMT who initiated me to reiki... as i was pouring virtually thousands of questions about reiki, spirituality, kundalini, nadis, meditation techniques, breathing, etc. he would just try to restrict himself to level one reiki questions... and would try to either ignore or to avoid questions about related disciplines....

it is only today, that i can have a feeling that he might be doing so, since he intend to keep my mind one-minded on reiki alone... and quite possible he himself had a belief that he has not to 'mix' things with reiki as long as he projects himself to be a reiki teacher instead of being a spiritual teacher Smile

it merits attention of many folks here, especially beginner and less experienced guys like i unknowingly am Smile

take care
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:41 pm

It could be said that when Reiki
    balances and harmonizes the body
    the chakras are automatically
    included Basketball
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

chi_solas wrote:It could be said that when Reiki
    included Basketball

That is what I understand, Bridget. Smile

Reiki is a way to bring the body and mind back into balance and harmony (and this includes the energetic systems of the body whether it is thought of as chakras, meridians, nadi or whatever!)

Very Happy
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:20 pm

as a little thought over 'balance' of chakras, i had to say that the 'balance' is again highly individualized.... 'to balance' the chakras of a professional wrestler as against balancing the chakras of fragile poet (for example), we would need what their reqirements are....

The throat chakra of a teacher, anchorperson, public dealing buddy needs to be bit 'over-spun' as compared to a computer guy who has little requirements as about communicating to others...

U may find it interesting (or rather stupid Smile ) if i say that given a specific individual, who has been properly healed up through reiki is not necessarily a person whose chakra speeds have been so-called balanced against acamedically set benchmarks

A person needs to be restored to a specific individualized inter combination of chakra speeds and it might sometimes appear 'imbalanced' to a casual standard chakra practitioner Smile

There is no one size thats fits all !

Lets see what u guys take on this ?

Take care

Salman
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:38 pm

chi_solas wrote:It could be said that when Reiki
    included Basketball

Thats right Smile and doesn't that indirectly mean that we should shift our focus more to general healing through reiki instead of taking up specifically chakra alignment as our key objective Smile

Take care

Salman
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:44 am

Lambs-Wool wrote:as a little thought over 'balance' of chakras, i had to say that the 'balance' is again highly individualized.... 'to balance' the chakras of a professional wrestler as against balancing the chakras of fragile poet (for example), we would need what their reqirements are....

The throat chakra of a teacher, anchorperson, public dealing buddy needs to be bit 'over-spun' as compared to a computer guy who has little requirements as about communicating to others...

U may find it interesting (or rather stupid Smile ) if i say that given a specific individual, who has been properly healed up through reiki is not necessarily a person whose chakra speeds have been so-called balanced against acamedically set benchmarks

A person needs to be restored to a specific individualized inter combination of chakra speeds and it might sometimes appear 'imbalanced' to a casual standard chakra practitioner Smile

There is no one size thats fits all !

Lets see what u guys take on this ?

Take care

Salman

Hi Salman

Chakras "balanced against academically set benchmarks" ?!!

Who sets these "benchmarks" and can people really fine tune individual chakras like connecting a car engine to a computer in the service station? confused

Luckily for us, with Reiki, we don't have to worry about that as the whole system is brought into a state of balance which is right for that person at that time. Smile

I agree that there is no "one size fits all". I remember reading an early study using students who were attending a Reiki 1 course and their Haemoglobin (Hb)levels were monitored. The general finding was that the Hb went up which allowed more oxygen (and maybe Ki) to be carried around the body in the blood. However, in one case the Hb went up several points more than others because the students Hb was abnormally low (iron deificiency anaemia) to start with and after attending the Reiki 1 course the Hb approached normal values. Another student's Hb went down and prior to the course that person's Hb was above the normal range. I think the research was done by Wendy Wetzel in 1986. study
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:02 am

hi Colin Smile

i was busy with some commitments here, but here i go at the moment...

academically set benchmarks Smile ? although we would not find 'standard chakra RPM' sort of data to make us sure we'd be doing a right chakra alignment...

standard benchmarking or chakra balancing has almost become a commercial term... whenever i google the term to find things about that, i would find virtually hundreds of sites that offer chakra balancing tests, techniques, exercises, rituals, dependencies, etc. the common approach is to let the person go through and reply to a standard checklist which would give an assessment of which chakra is open, which is closed, which is over-spun, which is under-spin, etc.

secondly, we find the web loaded with sites that offer chakra balancing and stimulating exercises... many of such sites have been a promotional attire to attract customers to the practitioner in his practice of offering such services...

in earlier years, i had a good time spent with kundalini stuff... and inspired with the kundalini exercises... kundalini awakening techniques, i would have sort of conditioned myself that unless the kundalini seated at the bottom of my spine awakens, rises and elevates to crown, it is virtualy impossible to attain any consciousness..

this was an over-inspiration... which i understand only now Smile i studied accounts of various people who were great thinkers, poets, scholars, etc. who were spiritual, who were all having the 'symptoms' of showing that they had indeed an 'awaken kundalini' but surprisingly the accounts of majority of them revealed that they never had any 'conscious' or 'visible' experience of kundalini rising, yet they had good degrees of consiousness...

and after study, i came to a conclusion myself that i dont have to bother when and why, and where and whether that power rises inside me, or whatever Smile on the late 'reik 4 all' forum, we had a seniro lady Azaalee who had very different views about reiki origins and nature, and stuff, but she guided me one step very profoundly, that when kundalini rises rightly it does not make noises on consicous level... and things just go automatially...

i think that same treatment we find with chakra's balancing issues... we sometimes get so over-inspired about chakra things during our reiki study and treatments, that our focus shifts to chakra balancing rather than healing (better saying from being reiki).. it would be true that chakra balancing would be a visible sign of healing in majority of cases, but this for me, rings some alarms of concerns in as much as my emotional and inspirational attachment with reiki is concerned....

i often ask if have to heal myself up through chakra alignment, why dont i go direct to the specialized chakra exercises, and techniques, which i find tons on the web.... since if we start partaking chakra balancing as the key to healing, why have to invite things like reiki... why not chakra balancing direct Smile ?

the difference between the point i m interested to raise as compared to point that giving reiki to chakras would why be a bad thing, seems insigficant in the beginning, but it leads us to jump in another school after a time...

it is just similar to the thing that on the railway track when the direction of travel is changed by the railway operator, the initial distance between the old railing and new railing is hardly some inches in the initial some feet, but this would result in diversion of hundreds of miles after some travel Smile so sometiems we have to be careful what we are doing Smile

seems interesting that once a buddy invited me to say prayers five times (as Muslims are ordered to say) and in inspiring me he said that saying prayers five times will be a good regular exercise for your mind and body intact...

i said, ah, thats pretty okay, but honesty to god says that when i have to say prayers, i dont have to come through anticipation of preceived benefits, since prayer is not a trade Smile

getting slightly emotional, but including reiki in a treatment just to supplement some thing, whcih the reiki itself can achieve, is slightly cold-hearted for me bro Smile

take care
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:22 am

Colin wrote: I remember reading an early study using students who were attending a Reiki 1 course and their Haemoglobin (Hb)levels were monitored. The general finding was that the Hb went up which allowed more oxygen (and maybe Ki) to be carried around the body in the blood. However, in one case the Hb went up several points more than others because the students Hb was abnormally low (iron deificiency anaemia) to start with and after attending the Reiki 1 course the Hb approached normal values. Another student's Hb went down and prior to the course that person's Hb was above the normal range. I think the research was done by Wendy Wetzel in 1986. study

that is a good point added to our discussions at length Colin ! Smile

we would always endavour to raise our Hb level (i think 15 is normal range for men ? and would rather be intrigued by the thought that 'higher, the better' but when it exceeds the normal range, the traits start going reverse.. or the efficiency reduces....

this sentiment is also reflected in chakra things... the point i was trying to make (sorry for bearing you with my so long posts Smile ) is that if in the end we come to conclusion that we cannot be best judges to know which chakra has to be aligned in which way and when, and ultimately we come up with conclusions that when we heal, chakra's are already balanced up, then i have to ask what is the point of that sorta 'over-emphasis' on this stuff....

i give a simliar example.. in the deep and profound reiki treatment sessions that proved very effectively (to feed my ego equally Smile ) i found that breathing and precisely saying exhaling out during reiki sessions, amplifies the healing potentional and efficiency... and in some while, i had almost started taking breathing rythms to be 'included' within reiki treatments...

it is only know, when i know that the things i was wrongfully (as well as wonderfully) mixing up with reiki, was indeed things which we study as QT (i was not aware of QT then)...

i have many times heard people saying that QT supercharges reiki efficiency... i feel... while i had the same experience too, i know feel slightly uncomfortable to feel myself in a situation that i m blending QT and reiki, without having a true realization that i m mixing the two for the benefit of (seemingly) more efficiency....

this is how i learn to take benefit of two modalities without cofusing the two and without taking one's benefit at the expense of the other Smile

ah, a long post again... but you are already used to patiently hear me Colin Smile aren't you ?

take care bro

Smile

salman

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm