Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
Carina_NZ
Dharma
vijaybali
wildcarde
chi_solas
9 posters

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply? Mine is "don't worry".

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". Empty Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply? Mine is "don't worry".

Post by Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:28 pm

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". 471984 "Don't worry". What's the point in worry? What a waste of energy worry is. Yet it keeps coming back to harass some more. How to handle worry? Do you console it and hope it calms down for awhile? Worry is an indicator of insecurity of some kind. Best to face it and accept it as "human frailty". Shifting focus on something constructive is a good strategy. When I catch myself "worrying", I get involved in an activity that I like doing...like a favorite hobby, visit the shut-ins with my therapy dogs, volunteer teaching English to mentally challenged students, trying to take amazing photos with my digital camera....ANYTHING that does the job---to transport you away from worry's claws into you. Forget "worry" for a time. You wouldn't want to give worry TOO MUCH attention, otherwise it will drain your energy. Now's the time to employ "tough love". Worry go away. Give me a break! (I'm busy).
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". Empty Re: Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply? Mine is "don't worry".

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:14 pm

DameMantis wrote:Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". 471984 "Don't worry". What's the point in worry? What a waste of energy worry is. Yet it keeps coming back to harass some more. How to handle worry? Do you console it and hope it calms down for awhile? Worry is an indicator of insecurity of some kind. Best to face it and accept it as "human frailty". Shifting focus on something constructive is a good strategy. When I catch myself "worrying", I get involved in an activity that I like doing...like a favorite hobby, visit the shut-ins with my therapy dogs, volunteer teaching English to mentally challenged students, trying to take amazing photos with my digital camera....ANYTHING that does the job---to transport you away from worry's claws into you. Forget "worry" for a time. You wouldn't want to give worry TOO MUCH attention, otherwise it will drain your energy. Now's the time to employ "tough love". Worry go away. Give me a break! (I'm busy).

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". 78411 just for today!
    wildcarde
    wildcarde

Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". Empty Re: Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply? Mine is "don't worry".

Post by wildcarde Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:18 pm

Mine is "don't be angry". to be honest, I have a lot to be angry about..but I'm working on it..
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm

wildcarde wrote:Mine is "don't be angry". to be honest, I have a lot to be angry about..but I'm working on it..

Awareness is half the battle.
    When we change, things change
    around us. sunny

Post by Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:57 pm

wildcarde wrote:Mine is "don't be angry". to be honest, I have a lot to be angry about..but I'm working on it..

When I get angry, I use this strategy to snap out of it: I say there must be some good reason why so and so happened. I just don't understand what it is right now. You are allowed to be angry but only temporarily; it's too draining and I can transfer this energy to something more pleasant.

Razz
    vijaybali
    vijaybali

Post by vijaybali Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:31 pm

Dear chi_solas

Awareness is half the battle.
    When we change, things change
    around us.

it is lovely

realy very interesting and important tread for all.

i will come back very soon on this

thanks and regards
    vj
    wildcarde
    wildcarde

Post by wildcarde Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:03 am

DameMantis wrote:

When I get angry, I use this strategy to snap out of it: I say there must be some good reason why so and so happened. I just don't understand what it is right now. You are allowed to be angry but only temporarily; it's too draining and I can transfer this energy to something more pleasant.

Razz

I agree..it's been a real challenge for me to keep my anger about certain life situations in check. it's not a violent anger, just the "people did me dirty and I wants revenge" type of thing. Since I started with reiki, though, it seems to be better.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:31 pm

wildcarde wrote:
    DameMantis wrote:

Razz

I agree..it's been a real challenge for me to keep my anger about certain life situations in check. it's not a violent anger, just the "people did me dirty and I wants revenge" type of thing. Since I started with reiki, though, it seems to be better.

Glad to hear that Reiki is helping.Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". 850837

Instead of complaining or getting angry
    I have learned to look for solutions. study

Post by Guest Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey Wildcarde:
    I understand about "revenge" and I finally found a way to make some "peace with this emotion". Used to be I'd say, that person deserves this or that, BECAUSE THEY DID such and such TO ME! Then (over a long time) I learned that all I had to do IS DEFLECT their negativity. I don't want it--the sender can have it back (or it goes back out into the universe). I honestly don't care if it goes back to sender--they did it to themselves. Everyday, I envision a THICK EGG-SHAPED "white light" casing around me. I meditate and ask for protection. I'm NOT wishing ill on them...(I'm just being "neutral"). You have a right to protect yourself from people like this.
    So PROTECT YOURSELF; deflect their poison; and don't get involved in their "bad karma". The Universe will deal with them sooner or later.

Evil people eventually hang themselves.
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:14 pm

wildcarde wrote:
    DameMantis wrote:

Razz

or perhaps no one did you wrong, we have chosen to live through, all that we are living through, at some level you have chosen to experience all that life has given, so that you may learn, for souls that you feel did you wrong, it might be helpful to send your gratitude for you have learned much. when we hold love and light to what we feel to areas of darkness, we are filled with compassion and love. Blessings
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:35 am

Dharma wrote:
    wildcarde wrote:
    DameMantis wrote:

Razz

or perhaps no one did you wrong, we have chosen to live through, all that we are living through, at some level you have chosen to experience all that life has given, so that you may learn, for souls that you feel did you wrong, it might be helpful to send your gratitude for you have learned much. when we hold love and light to what we feel to areas of darkness, we are filled with compassion and love. Blessings

So true, I have learned from much
    injustice and I am a stronger person.
    Who said....
    be the change you want to see in others
    Which guidepost are you finding a challenge to apply?    Mine is "don't worry". 850837
    Carina_NZ
    Carina_NZ

Post by Carina_NZ Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:56 pm

such a long time ago that was posted in this thread.
    however - my obstacle with these principles is remembering them in the first place. now that i think about it, it makes me want to include them more prominently in the classes i teach.

for today - i will focus on remembering the 5 principles.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 pm

Hi Carina

Traditionally, the Gokai (the Five Reiki Precepts or Principles) are a foundation teaching of the system of Usui Reiki Ryoho. They were originally meant to be chanted morning and evening, with hands in gassho (prayer position) in order to improve (or balance) your mind and body. These instructions appear in translations of various Japanese versions of the Gokai, e.g.

The secret method of inviting happiness (or many blessings)
    The spiritual medicine of all diseases

Just for Today, Don't be angry
    Don't worry, Be Grateful
    Work hard, Be kind to others

Every morning and evening, join your hands in prayer (gassho).
    Keep these words in your heart
    And chant these words with your mouth
    The Usui Reiki method to improve your mind and body.

-The Founder Usui Mik
    ao-

By reciting them every day, you will easily remember them and bring them to mind throughout the day as you feel the need arise Smile

Carina_NZ
    Carina_NZ

Post by Carina_NZ Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:17 am

oh yes, i understand that. and was taught the theory - perhaps it is the self-discipline that is lacking haha lol! . i have a copy in my wallet, and on my wall in my clinic etc. more recently, i found the japanese words to read aloud. English often feels so limiting to me, that to express my words in a native language gives the words more power than the english translation.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:23 am

Yes! The Gokai spoken in their original Japanese is indeed supposed to be even more effective because of the kotodama contained in the Japanese words. I recite them in Japanese and encourage my students to do the same, if they wish! Smile
    yeruham

Post by yeruham Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:58 am

I wasn't sure what kotodama meant so I looked it up on a great online Japanese-English -Japanese dictionary which I recently found. In case anyone would like to try it, it is at http://jisho.org/

As for freeing oneself from anger and worry, I have found the meditation advice in the Buddhist Anapanasati Sutta, to be of great help. There is a translation and commentary in Thich Nhat Hanh, Breath! You are alive. Sutra on the full awareness of breathing. London, etc., Rider, 1988, 1990. I read a little of this almost every morning.

But now I have a request, if anyone can help me. I would like to start reciting the Gokai every day. But I would like to recite it in Japanese, and would prefer to read it from the kana (Japanese phonetic letters.) I have found it in the usual mixture of kana and kanji (Chinese symbols) on p. 66 of Bronwen and Frans Stiene's The Reiki Sourcebook. But that is too hard for me. Can anyone post it in just kana?
    Many thanks and best wishes to all,
    Yeruham
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 am

There is a recording of the Reiki principles spoken online somewhere. I can't recall where. Does any members know please?
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:49 am

Hiya

Here is one of the best online versions, spoken by a Japanese Reiki practitioner (who lives in Canada!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlwTyubfXRY

Enjoy! Smile
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:04 am

...and here is what they look like in Japanese and romaji and an English translation:

今日だけは (Kyo Dakewa) Today only
    怒るな (Ikaruna) Do not anger
    心配すな (Shinpai Suna Do not worry
    感謝して (Kansha Shite) With thankfulness
    業をはげめ (Gyo Wo Hageme) Work diligently
    人に親切に (Hito Ni Shinsetsu Ni) Be kind to others

Smile
    Carina_NZ
    Carina_NZ

Post by Carina_NZ Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:21 pm

*link i can't post cause i'm too new* is where i found the following

Just for today (Kyo dake wa):

Don't get angry (Okoru na*)

Don't worry (Shinpai su na)

Be grateful (Kansha shite)

Work diligently (Gyo wo hage me)

Be kind to others (Hito ni shinsetsu ni)
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 pm

Note: Ikaru na and Okoru (or okulu) na mean the same: " Do not anger". It is simply that the ikaru form is older than the okoru form (so I believe) Smile So you can use which ever you feel happiest with Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:44 am

Milarepa wrote:There is a recording of the Reiki principles spoken online somewhere. I can't recall where. Does any members know please?

Reiki precepts - YouTube
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWLmGFTbhdA

sholz
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by sholz Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:53 am

Hi! I wanted to offer Pam England's take on worrying. She has this great book about pregancy called Labrynth of Birth. In that book she talks about how relevant and IMPORTANT worrying actually is Smile Here's why: worrying can give you opportunity to be a lot more prepared for unknown scenerios. She recommends spending time each day, or whenever works for you, to devote to productive worrying. What this entails is sitting down with pen and paper and sitting down with one worry at a time and letting it unfold. For instance, I worry a lot that I'm going to be stuck in my current job forever. So when I sit down and actively worry, I can see that this worry shows me that there are a lot of things I'd rather be doing with my time that I'd find a lot more fulfilling, such as offering Reiki to folks or becoming a skilled herbal practiciner as a main career. When I sit down and actively worry, I see that I am not presently taking action that proves to myself that I'm working diligently to creating a more fulfilling career a reality. So as I continue to actively worry, I am able to get a clearer idea of what actions I'd need to take to prove to myself that I'm working diligently toward a more fulfilling way of gainful employment. Actively worrying is effective, though not easy! It really pushes one to get creative with problem solving, because that's what worrying calls for. It's a call from deep within your soul, providing opportunities for great change and mastery.

Worry has its purpose, and it's important to turn it around and get it to work for you, otherwise it's wasted energy. Trust in yourself, trust that these worries are pushing to greater understanding of yourself and the world around you. Hope that helps Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:04 am