Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

3 posters

Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path...

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path... Empty Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path...

Post by Milarepa Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:37 am

Usui Shiki Ryoho. What do those words conjure up in our minds? A western new age style. Perhaps one that has been bastardised. What if we took a step back from the politics of Reiki, just for one moment, and had another fresh appraisal?

When a teacher places a student in high regard, and moreso makes it public, the love & affection for the teacher can become immense. I know it did for me with Self Defence. Chujiro Hayashi held Hawayo Takata in very high regard. There can be no doubt of this. Judging my own attitude toward my Self Defence Grandmaster, and placing that alongside what Hawayo Takata may have felt toward Hayashi it's my opinion she taught others as she herself was taught.

It is true that the were slight variations in what Hawayo Takata taught. Verbally, some things were slightly changed, at certain points of time, to illustrate a particular point. At that time. And, actual attunements, had, at times, slight differences. Slight though.

What does this all imply? To me it indicates that Hawayo Takata expereinced a non-rigid approach, if anything. This in itself, is very interesting. We all know that the Reiki expereince is itself very subjective, varied. As indeed is all spirituality.

In modern times, the refusal of religious paths to appreciate the growing desires of the world, has lead to a marked decline in their numbers. Spirituality, of an individual nature, is ever-growing. It's in accordance with creation itself. The creative source formed all, and all is individual. In it's own way. It's therefore not surprising that a spiritual path, such as Usui Shiki Ryoho, should organically show the same merits. Usui Shiki Ryoho has, of it's own accord, found itself in a unique, inspiring position. Not only has it managed to keep it's integrity, for those whom would desire that, it has also shown it is willing to do what other spiritual paths seem unable, or unwilling to.

My spirituality is formless. You spirituality is formless. Ever changing, swirling leaves in an autumn wind. I used to feel upset at the way Usui Shiki Ryoho is. Now, being inspired by the example of Hawayo Takata, i'm much more at peace.

Warmest wishes
    Wayne

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path... Empty Re: Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path...

Post by Dragonfly Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 am

Great post, Wayne. As any spiritual practice leaves its place of origin and is absorbed by a new culture, it is syncretized. It's a way of making the practice relevant to the culture and predispositions of the people. American Zen Buddhism is not the same as it is practiced in Japan, nor is Zen Buddhism the same as Ch'an or the way it was practiced in Gautama Buddha's time. Things change. That is OK.

Interestingly, during my Komyo Reiki training, the discussion of the symbols/mantras came up. There are differences between the symbols/mantras that Chiyoko Yamaguchi used, and the ones Mrs. Takata used. However, they were both taught by Hayashi and both maintained that they practice Reiki essentially as they were taught. This introduces some confusion. Did Yamaguchi or Takata modify the symbols/mantras, or did Hayashi deliberately modify them when he taught Mrs. Takata, knowing Reiki would be leaving Japan? We don't have answers to these questions, and vexing as that may be, that's OK too. Inamoto sensei said we could speculate all we want, but we may never know. What we do know is that the symbols/mantras as practiced by both Yamaguchi and Takata both perform the same functions. However - and this is simply MY experience and I cannot speak for anyone else who has learned both Usui Shiki Ryoho and traditional Japanese Reiki (Jikiden Reiki, Komyo Reiki, etc) - the energy felt subtly different between the two systems, even though CKR = Symbol 1. Very hard to explain; it could be entirely subjective (and I'm probably getting off-topic here.)

I have tremendous respect for Mrs. Takata. To some extent, she presented Reiki in a rather seemingly rigid way, but when you look deeper, there was room for fluidity. And also we have to remember that people don't remain unceasingly the same from year to year, decade to decade. She practiced and taught Reiki for many years. Over time, you come to learn what works, what resonates and of course you change as a result of going deeper into spiritual practice. So, naturally her teaching would change too. I imagine had Usui lived longer, his practice would have continued to evolve as well.

Thanks for sharing!
    Frank
    Frank

Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path... Empty Re: Usui Shiki Ryoho, the formless path...

Post by Frank Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:02 am

I'm referring to everyone Razz

The only thing that -really- matters in life -in the end-, is what happens in your Heart.

*Gasshō*
    Frank

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:51 pm