There are two distinct areas of contemplation in my view of utilisation of symbolic imagery like the reiki symbols.
Thinks to keep in mind (broad-strokes here, to get the idea across):
1. each symbol has a designated purpose. E.g. CKR - is utilised usually for physical healing, empowerment etc. etc. While SHK is utilised for emotional/soul psychological healing etc etc.... HSZSN for example is for connection (usually for, but not limited to, over distance to connection to the receiver...), and DKM for enlightenment and mostly utilised for attunements (http://www.aetw.org/reiki_symbolsM.html
2. Would you utilise SHK for a physical problem? or CKR for a mental/emotional problem.... what about utilising HSZSN for physical or emotional problem without the symbol that is supposed to focus your energies toward a specific issue?
3. Both HSZSN and DKM are not symbols but written words(/sentences) - also called a Jumon (a magical spell or incantation....) - so how would a spell/incantation to connect to someone/something, or a spell working toward enlightenment help with, e.g. a broken bone?
4. By considering the symbols/spells in reiki to focus on a specific area of contemplation as shown above, one could look at this as a specific set of vibrations or frequencies that deal with specific areas of the human condition - physical, emotional and spiritual.... (this is only meant as a illustration of the conceptual thought - not as fact) - like radio frequency or any other frequency in the spectrum - if one is looking toward a specific result, e.g. physical or emotional or spiritual, then one would focus the "beam" on that frequency to get the most significant results - so looking to e.g. heal a broken bone - one would not apply higher frequencies (emotional or spiritual) as the effects would not be substantial enough, and the timeframe for a "ripple effect" from the emotional or spiritual "frequencies" would take to long to have a direct effect on the current issue.
- further more by mixing the frequencies one would end up with more of a mess - think a radio that is set on FM 93.3 - and there are 3 or 4 different channels trying to occupy that narrow band of wavelength, what would result? a mess of interference!
Due to this short and simplified description - I find it more useful to focus on the problem and try and navigate the closest "energy" to sort out the problem, rather than layering on all the stuff in the world.......
[Edit:] Of course most problems will be a multi-complexity involving all layers of the human spirit, body and emotion - so mixing symbols might make sense.... however, in my experience, it has been more beneficial to deal with one aspect at the time, only when that aspect is resolved I move onto the next aspect in the potential cure.....
deal with the easy first.... and work your way to the core of the problem...
So, e.g. if the problem is physical, and that has had impact on the persons emotional well being/personality/etc etc. and also on the persons spiritual wellbeing, then I will probably try to discover what needs dealing with first - as in what is holding what back and try and work through the problems one by one and not try and tackle it all at once from all areas - but that is me, and you might have your own way that has given good results..... anyway - just wanted to put this up there, as the one "symbol" at a time has been overrun by all at once philosophy..... )
Last edited by fshortt on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added stuff)