Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Rlei_ki
Milarepa
6 posters

What is Reiki?

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

What is Reiki? Empty What is Reiki?

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:29 am

Hi all,

In a similar vein as the 'concerning ULE..' topic..

If Reiki is ULFE/ULE, this of course is the same as prana, Qi,Ki, etc.

Could someone please tell me why then, we experience REIki?

How come it's not 'Ki', since that's the Japanese equivalent for ULE?

Thanks in advance, Smile,
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

What is Reiki? Empty Re: What is Reiki?

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:54 am

Milarepa wrote:How come it's not 'Ki', since that's the Japanese equivalent for ULE?

Is 'ki' the Japanese equivalent of ULE, though?

Question
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:07 am

What is meant by Ki?

Ki is an old japanese word which does not translate easily into english. It is used in many common Japanese idiomatic phrases where it conveys a meaning of spirit, energy, power, or air (gaseous). There is an old connection between spirit and breath (air) related to the Chinese word Chi (or Qi) and to the Hindu word Prana. This older meaning of Ki as being a term for the life force (breath) and natural power within us and within all things is how we use the term here.

Source: http://houstonkiaikido.org/whatKi.htm

Qi in English is often spelled as chi. The Japanese form is ki.

Qi is a fundamental concept of everyday Asian culture or philosophy, most often defined as "air" or "breath" and, by extension, "life force" or simply put, just "energy" that is part of everything that exists.

Source: http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/190

It seems to be James, the same concepts keep popping up, Smile . It might help if someone defined ULE also, hehe. Maybe i should put a topic up about that, hehe.

take care
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:52 am

[quote="Milarepa"]
    What is meant by Ki?

that wasn't actually what I was getting at
    monkey

Japanese equivalent for 'ULE':

普遍的な 生命 エネルギー

Wink

Note: you should see kanji and katakana characters between the lines. if you don't your PC probably hasn't got a Japanese Character set installed...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:00 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:What is meant by Ki?

that wasn't actually what I was getting at
    monkey

elephant .

you're close enough. i'm mr.elephant. lol!
    renukakkar
    renukakkar

Post by renukakkar Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:17 pm

namaste,

ki or chi is similar to prana. in india when a person dies we say his prana has gone. ie the energy that made him survive has gone. so ki is the energy in the body that gives him life.

rei on the other hand is that spiritual energy which comes from above or from the soul and can be accessed through sadhana/methods as indicated by various gurus/teachers/guides. some or should i say very few access this energy directly like dr. usui did and devised a method for others to follow.

why do we say that the spiritual energy is from above us???is it because we look to god as someone in heaven,more powerful than mortals that we say up above rather then look inwards. i think that is a subject matter for a new discussion Idea Smile

renu Rolling Eyes
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:30 pm

Yes renu, that's right looking up around and down does not help when talking about ULF. after all it is our life's breath that we breath in to stay alive. Formal Reiki does help give our breath a purpose to touch within ourselves, when we become aware of this dormant energy we can feel its energy in our heart/head/hands.
    What is Reki energy gets lost in what is Reiki dogma.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 pm

chi_solas wrote:Yes renu, that's right looking up around and down does not help when talking about ULF. after all it is our life's breath that we breath in to stay alive....

you've just described, Qi, Ki, prana, etc, Smile. We expereince REIki. Looking at the words, it seems in the Japanese language, we expereince something more than Ki.

chi_solas wrote:
    What is Reki energy gets lost in what is Reiki dogma.

Yes, this is true. And the question gets bogged down in largely irrelevant stuff, Smile .

take care
    Wayne
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:35 am

Milarepa wrote:Hi all,

Wayne

Maybe to distinguish it from the sort of ki used by a karateka? That's my best guess at this time.

Bruce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:43 am

Bruce wrote:

Wayne

Maybe to distinguish it from the sort of ki used by a karateka? That's my best guess at this time.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
    Is the Ki used by Karateka not the basic element of spiritual power? If Ki is that force which binds all life, in fact, energy of life, it seems maybe, and i'm thinking out loud here, Ki, was somehow erm, a pre-cursor to Reiki? Or, putting it a better way, Reiki is more refined than Ki?

I'd be real interested in your feedback on this. Also, as you're very familiar with Qigong, do you feel, sense, or expereince a difference with Qi, as in Qigong, on the one hand, and Reiki on the other?

Take care
    Wayne
    papakeri
    papakeri

Post by papakeri Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:46 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Bruce wrote:

Wayne

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
    Is the Ki used by Karateka not the basic element of spiritual power? If Ki is that force which binds all life, in fact, energy of life, it seems maybe, and i'm thinking out loud here, Ki, was somehow erm, a pre-cursor to Reiki? Or, putting it a better way, Reiki is more refined than Ki?

I'd be real interested in your feedback on this. Also, as you're very familiar with Qigong, do you feel, sense, or expereince a difference with Qi, as in Qigong, on the one hand, and Reiki on the other?

Take care
    Wayne

I'd be interested in Bruce's answer to this question, too, as I, too, practice qigong and Reiki both, and I experience reiki and qi/ki differently. Or at least, that's been my experience so far, and maybe it's just a matter of not knowing to what the labels apply and don't apply. Alex from AHR sees energy and sees reiki as something different from qi/ki, which he refers to as bio-energy. He says the better Reiki practitioners have learned to filter out the bioenergy component so as to work only with reiki when doing healing. Hopefully Buck is following this thread and will correct me if I have misstated, and will offer his own viewpoint, since, he, too, sees energy.

Also, I don't know how accurate this is, as I had never heard of it until it came out in _The Spirit of Reiki_ by Luebeck, Petter and Rand, but they claimed that there are 7(?!) varieties of ki, 1) kekki, 2) shioke, 3) mizuke, 4) kuki, 5) denki, 6) jiki, and 7) reiki. "The form of Ki that organizes the correct synergistic application of all the subordinate forms of the life force in the holistic sense is called Reiki." - _The Spirit of Reiki_, pg 59.

Can anyone confirm or debunk this?

Love and Light,

Garry
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:17 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    Hi Bruce,
    Is the Ki used by Karateka not the basic element of spiritual power?

Hi, Wayne,

I think the ki/qi used in the martial arts is mostly a matter of body mechanics and alignment with some augmentation by the use of the breath.

If Ki is that force which binds all life, in fact, energy of life,

Energy of life is one sense of ki/qi. But don't go overboard w/ that. E.g., the Chinese word "tianqi" literally means "heaven qi," but in usage just means the weather. If you talk about the weather as some sort of life energy, you'll probably get some strange looks.

it seems maybe, and i'm thinking out loud here, Ki, was somehow erm, a pre-cursor to Reiki?

If you mean that ki is somehow changed into reiki, then I don't know. So far, I don't have any reason to believe that.

Or, putting it a better way, Reiki is more refined than Ki?

It looks and feels different to me. See comments below.

They're different, at least in my experience of them. When I do reiki practice, it feels somewhat higher-frequency -- in the literal sense of frequency, which appears on another thread -- than qi in qigong practice or qi healing. Someone who's my qigong student noticed the same thing the first time I emitted reiki onto her hand, although I hadn't mentioned the difference in frequency to her. Reiki isn't associated with as much sheer heat as yang qi, but it's not cooling like yin qi. (On the other hand, when I've been the recipient of reiki hands-on treatment, it's usually felt hot.)

When I look at qigong energies, I see yang qi as clear or yellow, and yin qi as dark blue. I usually see reiki as gold (with a sparkling sort of appearance that yang qi doesn't have), but sometimes as violet.

Bruce
    renukakkar
    renukakkar

Post by renukakkar Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:04 pm

namaste,
    bruce, like you i see reiki as golden drops in a white haze like the milky way, sometimes i see it as colours of the rainbow with relation to certain chakras not functioning properly.

but one thing is strange, maybe my teacher passed on her ability of pranic healing to me, because sometimes i can feel the bubbles, currents, waves leaving my feet,instead of the tingling sensation only in case the receipent is not able to feel anything ( sometimes i een feel a part of their pain, maybe i get too conected)

renu
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:26 pm

Bruce wrote:

Why do you think this is?

take care
    Wayne
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:32 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Bruce wrote:

take care
    Wayne

I think they're somewhat different energies. (Does that mean I agree with you?) I don't have any rigorous proof for that, though.

Bruce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:39 am

Bruce wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:
    Bruce wrote:

take care
    Wayne

I think they're somewhat different energies. (Does that mean I agree with you?) I don't have any rigorous proof for that, though.

Bruce

well, hehe, i'm not gonna ask to you talk with me about 'different energies', i'd be way over my head, with your physics backgroud!

FWIW, i do feel that Reiki is definitely different from say Quantum touch (in what is expereinced), and in my limited expereince of Qigong, i'm assuming it's the same kinda thing utilized in both (?).

Take care
    Wayne

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:15 am