Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

    Usui's photo

    Share
    avatar
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

    Usui's photo

    Post by Pandora on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:37 am

    I was wondering where you got the photo of Usui on the banner from?

    Come to that, how do we know it's Mikao Usui on the photo?

    This was inspired by the "new Shakespeare" portrait unveiled here today.
    avatar
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Milarepa on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:09 am

    James kindly made the banner for us.

    Re: the photo. Off-hand i can't say. You might wanna compare with :- http://www.aetw.org/reiki_pics.htm . Ask James, he's bound to know exactly when/where the photo appeared.

    take care
    Wayne


    _________________
    "That which is able to save your body and soul is naohi given by God". Onisaburo Deguchi.
    avatar
    thehungrycaterpillar
    Member
    Member

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by thehungrycaterpillar on Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:05 pm

    I have actually been meaning to ask that..

    Dr.Usui looks different everytime...
    avatar
    Frank
    Member
    Member

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Frank on Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 am

    At one picture (*this one*) he looks different from all other pictures. However, if you look really close, you can see some similarities. I've discussed it once with someone who's trained to notice people's characteristics and I believe he's right.

    And... Mikao Usui never really was a "Dr" Wink
    It might be because there were some translation difficulties with the Japanese "sensei" that we are used to say "Dr. Usui". But it's not correct.
    Therefore I always say "Usui-sensei".

    Gasshō,
    Frank
    avatar
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Pandora on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:32 pm

    I hear what you say, Frank, about the honorific "Dr". But I was taught that "Sensei" was given by a student to a master who had taught them personally, and as Usui died when my father was 4 (!) and he never taught me, then I use the Western honorific.

    If the explanation I was given is wrong then I'll be happy to call him "Sensei"!
    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by chi_solas on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 am

    My understanding was that
    he was not a certified DR
    but was given the nick name
    DR because of the healings
    within his Reiki clinic.


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com
    avatar
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Milarepa on Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:39 pm

    Lineage comes into play, for me persoanlly, when i use 'sensei' for the first three in my lineage, Smile .

    Frank, there's more evidence to show Usui sensei was a 'Dr', than he wasn't , Smile . A 'Dr' can mean many things firstly. In any event, the translation 'error' isn't accurate bro. Usui sensei's student, Hayashi sensei, signed Takata sensei's teaching certificate, in which, it is 'Dr. Usui's Reiki system of healing'. This is quite clear. Smile .

    Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_takata_cert.html

    Take care
    Wayne


    _________________
    "That which is able to save your body and soul is naohi given by God". Onisaburo Deguchi.
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Rlei_ki on Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 am

    Pandora wrote:.. I was taught that "Sensei" was given by a student to a master who had taught them personally

    Indeed, you can refer to your immediate teacher as 'sensei' - however the same goes for your teacher's teacher, and their teacher and so on.

    This is the nature of lineage traditions.

    the term Sensei ('born before' or 'lived before') has the connotation of someone who has 'lived the life' - someone who has deep first-hand experience of the particular discipline.

    Thus Mikao Usui is most certainly worthy of the respectful title: 'sensei'. Smile

    Sensei is a term of respect which can be used for anyone who has mastered their art (though the term does not literally mean 'master')



    BTW, from time to time you might encounter Reiki folk (and martial artists, etc) introducing themself (or promoting themself) as, for example, "Sensei Joe Smith" (or "Smith Sensei")

    It is considered most impolite and presumptive for a person to refer to themself in this way


    .
    .


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Pandora on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 pm

    Thanks for the clarification, James. Isn't it amazing just how much we get taught is not right! (I hesitate to say "wrong" because I'm sure it's not done with malice or intention to mislead)
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Rlei_ki on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 am

    Frank wrote:
    And... Mikao Usui never really was a "Dr"

    Hi Frank,

    as Wayne has mentioned, the term 'Dr' can mean many things.

    Why do people always assume it refers to a Doctor of Medicine?

    A Doctor is anyone who has been awarded a Doctorate in their chosen field

    There are also:
    Doctors of Philosophy
    Doctors of Commercial Science
    Doctors of Divinity
    Doctors of Agriculture
    Doctors of Engineering
    Doctors of Law
    Doctors of Literature...

    the list goes on.

    Originally, the title Doctor referred to anyone who was so well-versed in their discipline that they were qualified to teach it.

    Also, it is possible that Usui-sensei was a kanpoui:

    a Doctor of Herbalism


    Frank wrote:
    It might be because there were some translation difficulties with the Japanese "sensei" that we are used to say "Dr. Usui". But it's not correct.
    Therefore I always say "Usui-sensei".

    Interestingly, in Japan a doctor (Medical Doctor) is often addressed as 'Sensei' - partly out of simple respect, yet also as a sign, I feel, of trust - a sign of the patient's faith in the doctor's knowledge, skill, and ability to cure their complaint.


    .
    .


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Colin on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:25 am

    And, interestingly...

    Doctor is Latin for teacher! Smile

    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_ancient_latin_word_for_teacher

    Ai to Hikari
    Colin


    _________________
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

    ***********************
    Reiki: pure & simple

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/reiki.colin/reiki.htm
    http://www.facebook.com/reiki.pureandsimple

    The divine is not something high above us. It is in heaven, it is in earth, it is inside us. (Morihei Ueshiba)

    Reiki is what happens when you make friends with the Universe! (Colin)

    Ki flows, Reiki glows! (Colin)
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Rlei_ki on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:50 pm

    Pandora wrote:I was wondering where you got the photo of Usui on the banner from?

    Photoshop! Smile

    Oh, you mean the pre-makeover, monochrome version? Razz


    Well, a number of people seem to have accepted credit for 'discovering' it.

    We know Hiroshi Doi provided a copy of the image to several of his students.

    However the first known version in circulation comes to us courtesy of Takata-sensei.


    Come to that, how do we know it's Mikao Usui on the photo?

    This was inspired by the "new Shakespeare" portrait unveiled here today.

    Same question could be asked about any photo of any individual you have not met personally.






    .
    .
    .


    Last edited by Rlei_ki on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403

    avatar
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by chi_solas on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:37 am

    It's possible that folks who
    were opposed to natural healing
    have tried to discredit Dr Usui
    by starting a rumor that he's not
    a DR. As James pointed out he may
    have been a DR. in another field
    outside that of an M.D. Very Happy


    _________________
    http://reiki-support.com/wordpress/ 

    http://www.reiki-support.com
    avatar
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Milarepa on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:49 am

    I'm no expert, but the pic on the far left, when compared to the far right one, the far right one looks to have completely different bone structure in the jaw.


    _________________
    "That which is able to save your body and soul is naohi given by God". Onisaburo Deguchi.
    avatar
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Rlei_ki on Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:40 am

    chi_solas wrote:It's possible that folks who
    were opposed to natural healing
    have tried to discredit Dr Usui
    by starting a rumor that he's not
    a DR. As James pointed out he may
    have been a DR. in another field
    outside that of an M.D. Very Happy

    Personally, I feel it has more to do with people who are attempting to discredit Takata-sensei... silent
    .
    .


    _________________
    reiki ni rei

    James

    James Deacon's REIKI PAGES
    http://www.aetw.org

    Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/James-Deacons-Reiki-Pages/524525297578403


    Sponsored content

    Re: Usui's photo

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm