Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

being true to oneself via selfishness

Pachamama

being true to oneself via selfishness Empty being true to oneself via selfishness

Post by Pachamama Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi all.( god I'm sick of seeing my name all over this forum, but I can't help asking all these questions...)

Is there a fine line between being true to oneself and just being selfish?

Did Mikao Usui abandon his duties as a father and husband to go off in pursuit of spiritual truths? If he did, was this a selfish act or was he just following a deeper spiritual calling, urge?....is there a deeper calling than having the courage to be true to family commitments??

just for today, do your duties fully.... would this be hypocritical for someone to spout who had abandoned their own family duties?

Very Happy

apparently one or two descendants of Mikao's original students, did not pass on Reiki to their children....apparently their children had no interest..was this because their fathers had abandoned them in their pursuits of Reiki???? or was this more connected to the naval officers being involved in a war that was lost?

any thoughts ideas?? cyclops
    Pachamama

being true to oneself via selfishness Empty Re: being true to oneself via selfishness

Post by Pachamama Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm

hmmm a couple of views but no takers.... Suspect
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

being true to oneself via selfishness Empty Re: being true to oneself via selfishness

Post by chi_solas Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 am

Pachamama wrote:Hi all.( god I'm sick of seeing my name all over this forum, but I can't help asking all these questions...)

Did Mikao Usui abandon his duties as a father and husband to go off in pursuit of spiritual truths? If he did, was this a selfish act or was he just following a deeper spiritual calling, urge?....is there a deeper calling than having the courage to be true to family commitments??

just for today, do your duties fully.... would this be hypocritical for someone to spout who had abandoned their own family duties?

Very Happy

apparently one or two descendants of Mikao's original students, did not pass on Reiki to their children....apparently their children had no interest..was this because their fathers had abandoned them in their pursuits of Reiki???? or was this more connected to the naval officers being involved in a war that was lost?

Given the Usui cultural
    time period and the old
    thinking that men are
    hunters/gatherers/defenders
    might shed light on your
    questions. There are RLL
    members who do get more
    involved in Reiki history
    that can give us some insight
    to your question. sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:02 am

juicy topic.

Pachamama wrote:

Lots feel Reiki is primarily for oneself. Some folks though have a calling to affect more people than those within a small circle, such as a family, or even those they may meet localy. Often to do this the person has to spend lots of time developing.

Just like there might be selfishness in this, there may also be selfishness is not wishing a person to enact their full potential. It's all perspective.

Pachamama wrote:

Havn't a clue if his family thought he was abandoning them. Perhaps it was also a means to live for them too, i dunno.

It's not a deeper calling to try to create a difference in a large number of people, it's just 'another' calling. An issue could be the different stages of spiritual development the family is at. One might view the whole world as their family, but the wife/kids may not. These words arn't just literal with some.

Pachamama wrote:

Nah. because 'your' duties are 'your' duties. As in individually what you should be doing. As we're talking Reiki, this goes much further than societies expectations. It's a spiritual destiny.

Pachamama wrote:

My fianceee (hey we get married next week!!!) is level 1. But has no interest in Reiki anymore. People have their own individual views.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:15 am

Pachamama wrote:Hi all.( god I'm sick of seeing my name all over this forum, but I can't help asking all these questions...)

Very Happy

Hi Sharon

Phew! I thought I'd lost this post as I could see only Wayne's post that had come in while I was writing this (and I had also gone to pick up my car from the garage: ha ha - balance of spiritual and mundane, as I mention later!)

Great questions...keep asking them! Smile

Yes, there is certainly a fine line between being true to yourself and being selfish!

I believe that we each have a purpose for being here (to experience certain things which aid our spiritual development). To enable you to experience some of these things it is necessary to do some things outside of the family unit.

Although many Reiki practitioners (and many people following a spiritual path in general) find they can only develop beyond a certain point, or develop more quickly, if they leave restrictive relationships behind, as you said there are also many who have family commitments that they also wish to stay true to. I think it is all a matter of finding a balance, not being in a rush to do everything at once but it is also important to have the support and understanding of those around you.

Whether Mikao Usui abandoned "his duties as a father and husband" later in life, I have no idea, although he was almost certainly alone when he went up Mount Kurama for 21 days Smile Also, Usui's grave is on a family plot that also has the graves of his wife, Sadako, his son, Fuji and his daughter, Toshiko, which may indicate that the family were still together. This may, however, have been for appearances sake because in Arjava Petter's book, Reiki Fire, when Petter's then wife, Chetna, interviewed one of Dr. Usui's relatives, the wife of his grandson, who told us that her mother-in-law, Dr. Usui's daughter, i.e. Toshiko, had left a clause in her will stating that his name should never be mentioned in her house.

I think that there a several possible reasons for some of Usui's descendants not passing on training in his Reiki Ryoho. I believe his son Fuji was a Reiki practitioner (not sure if he was a teacher as well though). There was obviously some sort of discord in the family before Toshiko died and I think that younger people, generally, after the war, in particular, became more interested in Western culture rather than their own, which they may have seen as old-fashioned and out-moded (although this does appear to be changing again e.g. Tadao's son, Yohei, is training to be a Shihan). This is also a reason why the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai may also soon be completely gone, because they limit their membership to the family of members, and very close friends, and they are apparently not getting many, if any, younger new members.

In Chujiro Hayashi's case, although his wife, Chie, carried on teaching until the 1950s, their children did not - possible due to the general change in interests of the younger generation but maybe also because of the stigma of their father committing suicide rather than fighting for their country.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:19 am

Milarepa wrote:
    My fianceee (hey we get married next week!!!) is level 1. But has no interest in Reiki anymore. People have their own individual views.

warmest wishes
    Wayne

Hey, Wayne, congrats to you both! cheers

Yes, I also know a few people who started out with Reiki who no longer have any interest in it Sad

The Reiki path is not for everybody although it is available for everybody to take, if they wish!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:36 am

Colin said....
    In Chujiro Hayashi's case, although his wife, Chie, carried on teaching until the 1950s, their children did not - possible due to the general change in interests of the younger generation but maybe also because of the stigma of their father committing suicide rather than fighting for their country.

Colin it's my understanding that Chujiro's
    death was self-willed. Many Guru's die this
    way with family and friends observing them
    as they will themselves to move on into a
    death state. Sleep
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:06 am

chi_solas wrote:
    Colin said....

Colin it's my understanding that Chujiro's
    death was self-willed. Many Guru's die this
    way with family and friends observing them
    as they will themselves to move on into a
    death state. Sleep

Well, that is certainly what Hawayo Takata taught but self-willed death is still suicide, albeit for honourable reasons. In Chujiro Hayashi's case, he was a naval officer who had visited Hawaii just before Japan joined WWII and, according to Tadao Yamaguchi's book, when the naval authorities called on him to give information that might be helpful to them before the attack on Pearl Harbour, he refused to cooperate. Knowing he would face severe punishment which may also have affected his family, he chose an honourable death.

Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:37 pm

As usual folks, thanks for your comments and insights!!! Very Happy

and interesting points about the Gakkai Colin..perhaps instead of disappearing altogether, they may see the long term damage that creating such a restrictive 'elitist Reiki club' is doing?....They may just be inspired to open their doors to a wider audience and body of students??? I do hope so, because I am sure they will have much to offer the greater Reiki community as a whole..and if they disappear and take their 'secrets' to the grave, then perhaps that will be a lesson to all 'secret societies'.

Knowledge should be shared for the greater good of ALL. Very Happy

~~

And Congratulations on your wedding plans Wayne, whoohooo!!! hope you both have a great day!!!..may you both have a very happy , healthy and prosperous future together cheers
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:44 pm

thanks folks. We got quite a few family coming over from ireland, so it'll be a great time. I'm very excited. Kinda hard to sleep, and i can hardly focus. Reiki first thing in the morning is helping though.
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 pm

well they do say weddings is up there with one of the most stressful times of life!! ahaha..
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:40 pm

BTW Wayne how did it go with Robert Fueston??? or has that not been yet?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:49 pm

The numbers required for it to be viable for Robert to come over to teach others didn't happen. I'm still in regular contact with him. Gonna recieve the training he's offered still. It'll be a kinda long-ish process, but that's cool.

with the wedding, and some other responsibilities, resources have been took up. My training with Robert will start within a couple months though. BTW, my business is picking up once more! Re-organised some things, marketing also. Things are looking up!
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Grand, long may the positive upturn continue!!...and the numbers didn't make it for Robert...ah well, as many wise spiritual folk have said throughout history, 'theres is no rush to reach enlightenment, you have all of eternity'...

When the timing's right things just fall into place.. Right, I better go and get on with my mothering duties! have a great wedding Wayne... being true to oneself via selfishness 402695

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content