Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

shinto in usui-sensei´s time

fshortt
    fshortt
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

shinto in usui-sensei´s time Empty shinto in usui-sensei´s time

Post by fshortt Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Found this article, might be of interest as the text discusses the religious trends in japan around Usui-sensei´s time, it is not however very in depth.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/55a/558.html

f
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

shinto in usui-sensei´s time Empty Re: shinto in usui-sensei´s time

Post by Colin Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:34 pm

fshortt wrote:Found this article, might be of interest as the text discusses the religious trends in japan around Usui-sensei´s time, it is not however very in depth.

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/55a/558.html

f

Thanks, Frank!
    As you said not "very in depth" but interesting nonetheless.

Have you read 'The Catalpa Bow' by Carmen Blacker? It is not that easy to get hold of nowadays (apart from second hand or libraries) but is a much more in depth study of Japanese shamanism and looks at the origins, practices and differences between various forms of shamanic practitioner e.g. Yamabushi, Shugenja, Miko, and many others. Carmen spent much time in Japan from the 50s to the 70s (I think) observing and talking to shamans.

It also has a bit about Oomoto Kyo and various shinto-based New Religions.

Reading this, it is quite easy to see where Usui Sensei got his inspiration for drawing shirushi and using jumon.

Smile study
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:40 pm

I also came across this snippet on the same site as the one you quoted, Frank:

Kyoto shrine stops sales of CD-ROM amulet
    Mainichi Shimbun, Tuesday 4 January 2000
    KYOTO—One of the nation's most famous shrines, Yasaka Shrine, has decided to stop selling a CD-ROM amulet because of criticism, officials have announced.

Officials of the shrine in the Gion district of Kyoto's Higashiyama-ku said they made the decision after other shrines criticized the CD-ROM amulet, saying “Do you think that use of a deity for personal computers is justifiable?”

Those who bought the CD-ROM in question install it in their computers. They can then enjoy a Shinto rite to exorcise evil spirits and recitations of Shinto prayers by animated priests.

The shrine had been selling the CD-ROM for 1,000 yen since Dec. 15, they said.

I wonder what Usui Sensei and Hayashi Sensei and Takata Sensei, for that matter, would make of Reiju via DVD and the internet?

Neutral
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:38 pm

haha funny the cd-rom Smile
    don´t think that would go down with the older generation, but i guess it does keep in time with the modern generation Smile hiihi
    thanks for the hint, i will look him up, seems like an interesting read indeed. thanks

f
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:35 pm

Colin wrote:

I wonder what Usui Sensei and Hayashi Sensei and Takata Sensei, for that matter, would make of Reiju via DVD and the internet?

Neutral

that's a good question. if we'd a technqiue such as distant attunement passed down to Hayashi & Takata sensei, i'd say, they prob would have used dvd's in such a way. Though, we know from both Jikiden & Takata's Usui Shiki Ryoho that in-person training was the only way?

It's really all about just why is in-person training so important. Like my martial arts teacher, when he comes to stay with me, it's constant training in his presence, consciousness transference they call it in his homeland. teachings that the student assimilates sub-consciously, that is also conveyed sub-consciously. done in the precense of the teacher. Colin, i'm sure you expereince this when you spend time with Tadao, or even Dan & Rika? it's a nice little extra to, in training, isn't it!

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:03 pm

well put wayne, i fully agree.
    In-person-training brings a whole other channel of communication. It is said that in verbal communication, 90% of the communication happens through body-language. It is also taken further in the study of communication, that 90% of the communication that happens in body-language, happen outside of body-language, meaning there is no channel of communication that can account for it. This is a fairly known subject within communication studies and interpersonal communication studies, and nlp.
    Got the kids crawling all over me and we are about to start our daily "Gassho Meiso" practice. Can elaborate later if needed.

f
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:07 pm

please do talk more bout this, Smile. hey, dfo all the family do gassho meisho? thaty's pretty cool!
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:12 am

Colin wrote:Have you read 'The Catalpa Bow' by Carmen Blacker? It is not that easy to get hold of nowadays (apart from second hand or libraries)

I think that changed. It looks very interesting and I'll get a copy.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Catalpa-Bow-Shamanistic-Practices-paperback/dp/1873410859

The electronic version is here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Catalpa-Bow-Shamanistic-Practices-Classics/dp/1873410859
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:17 pm

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:51 am

fshortt wrote:another interesting link to shinto related studies

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/JHTI/index.html
    http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/JHTI/shinto/project1.html

Thanks Frank! Smile
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:55 am

no problem mate Smile
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:35 am

Hi Wayne,

Milarepa wrote:please do talk more bout this, Smile. hey, dfo all the family do gassho meisho? thaty's pretty cool!

On Gassho Meisho, yeah me and the boys do a set daily consisting of: Gassho Meiso? (or Meisho?), Gassho Kokyu-ho, Hikari kokyu-ho, and finaly Joshin kokyu-ho. hehe
    then we do either reiki practice or kung-fu form.
    Reason being, the mother was away in shanghai for a few weeks exhibiting at the Expo, so i had to come up with my own daily routine with them so as they don't get bored. We have been doing it together now for the 3rd week - mother is back an we still at it YAY! then breakfast and playtime Smile
    The oldest (7 this year) has been practicing with me on and off - he got an attunement from Allan Sweeney on his 4th birthday, an gave one back to him right after - (he is a bit of a showman after all, my kid that is). But now the middle brother (3years soon) is joining in. My youngest girl (1 year) is not taking part yet hehe, a bit too young.

As for my intro to interpersonal communication Smile its a very interesting subject - and best way is to test it out further and further.
    It was a mandatory course at University for us doing film production.
    It takes in many different modalities - such as some nlp techniques, psychology, and communication theory with more, but is considered its own field of study.
    Anyway, I will try to illustrate further.

In communication study we observe and study the mechanisms of communication.
    The module i took on Interpersonal Communication, took it to a new level.
    Firstly Communication Theory had to be grasped. It also relied heavily on unbiased observational skills. Some techniques and skills from the study of NLP, understanding of body-language.

In basic communication theory, there is the disputed communication model:
    Sender->Message->Receiver.
    But of course it is not that simple and there are numerous other factors to take into account - i will try to limit my examples to do with interpersonal communication - meaning communication between two people, the interaction and its study.
    Some factors to consider are; firstly there must be a message, or information to transmit, it has to be formulates and packaged and presented so to speak (target audience and many other factors to consider).
    It then has to be transmitted in such a way that one tries to make sure the message, information comes across to the receiver.
    Here we find many hindrances or obstacles to communication that has to be considered. There are obvious communication barriers, such as language barrier - not just different geographical languages, but there are many levels to understanding language.
    Simple example is if an electro engineer started talking technical maths with an Artist, there would be an obvious barrier in communication, and in the capacity that the receiver has to interpret the message, or the signal information.
    Unless of course he was really interested in electro-engineering.

There is also more personal barriers to communication, such as clothing, hygiene, attitude, language, mental state, clear speech as opposed to fumbled speech...etc etc would you trust a rough-looking guy attending your transactions at the bank, or the guy in suite, showered and good hygiene, good smell, nice smile etc etc.

Then not to forget the receiver has to interpret the signal information/message, but enough Communication Theory for now. Lets move on to the fun part.
    The NLP observational skills and interview techniques was interesting.
    We started by observing habitual behaviour, mental routines. Then trying to observe how the subject of observation processes the information.
    Here is a useful tool:
    shinto in usui-sensei´s time Nlp310

Then the interview techniques - about obtaining a rapport with the subject. Copy breathing pattern, posture, attitude, everything - get to the same level, but don’t exaggerate , be subtile.
    Observing the subjects strategies (see chart above and body language etc etc). What you will notice is that everyone lives in routines, both in the way you do things, moods you throw, mental activity, even how you tie your shoe laces. In dialogue with another there will be certain topics of conversation brought up by the subject, there will be certain attitudes etc etc basically they will project themselves in habitual ways, even when they don’t follow the text-book charts and categories (see chart above) they will still show habitual behaviour just like everyone elses - once you have cracked the code so to speak, it becomes easy to read.
    For this though you must be unbiased observer, calculated and methodical, but mostly observe.
    On interaction, observe if reaction is as predicted or if you need to rethink your observations.
    Anyway after a very short time you get very good at this. But we also experimented with observing someone in a public space, from behind them at a distance to see if they would turn around, and of course they always did - this was always done in the court yard at uni. or the student union during daytime.

One study we did was a group of 30 or so split into two groups, you would face your “subject” and observe.
    You would write down all the impressions you got.
    Firstly you would write down the obvious signals given off by their appearance and posture etc, but then you would have to write down more personal traits, as detailed as possible.
    The person being observed would keep a “poker-face”, straight posture etc, basically trying to minimise their visual signal output. After we were the observed ourselves. Then there was the interview session afterwards.
    We had to learn as much as possible, and try to find out if any of our interpretations or impressions were correct, but without letting the “subject” know our impressions of them.
    The results were quite amazing, and is worth trying out, but first build up the basic skills, then take it one step further.
    This is why i think someone jokingly did the 90% of non-verbal communication happen without direct interaction. don't know where the quote is from but our teacher at the time was NLP-certified and pushed that quite a bit, so probably from some NLP book, or article or something.

Hope this helps ?? Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:38 pm