Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

3 posters

What makes a good Reiki Teacher?

Pachamama

What makes a good Reiki Teacher? Empty What makes a good Reiki Teacher?

Post by Pachamama Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:56 pm

there are quite a few teachers on here, what personal qualities, traits, knowledge, understanding, ability etc.... makes a good Reiki Teacher??

for those who have studied multiple styles and have multiple lineages, what different traits in your teachers shone through for you?

When you first started teaching, how confident did you feel?
    did it take you a while to find your teaching feet?
    what were/are the pros and cons that you found in your own teaching journey?
    what advice would you give to a potential teacher?
    what if anything would you do differently?
    what have you learned as a teacher?

if you offer training in differnt 'styles' of Reiki, do you ever get confused with the different elements within each style?
    Do any elements of your training within different styles conflict with other styles?
    did you become a teaching assitant for many classes before you set out on your own?
    How supportive was your Reiki teacher in helping you gain the appropriate skills for teaching a class?

what should be the basic requirements of all reiki teachers in your opinion?

~~

quite a few questions I know......I'd appreciate any answers from as many folk as possible, thanks.. alien
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

What makes a good Reiki Teacher? Empty Re: What makes a good Reiki Teacher?

Post by chi_solas Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:04 pm

Pachamama wrote:there are quite a few teachers on here, what personal qualities, traits, knowledge, understanding, ability etc.... makes a good Reiki Teacher??

for those who have studied multiple styles and have multiple lineages, what different traits in your teachers shone through for you?

if you offer training in differnt 'styles' of Reiki, do you ever get confused with the different elements within each style?
    Do any elements of your training within different styles conflict with other styles?
    did you become a teaching assitant for many classes before you set out on your own?
    How supportive was your Reiki teacher in helping you gain the appropriate skills for teaching a class?

~~

quite a few questions I know......I'd appreciate any answers from as many folk as possible, thanks.. alien

Excellent questions. cheers

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:06 am

[quote="chi_solas"]
    Pachamama wrote:there are quite a few teachers on here, what personal qualities, traits, knowledge, understanding, ability etc.... makes a good Reiki Teacher??

Patience, know the facts about what the
    Reiki system entails & understand that you
    are only a facilitator not a healer. What makes a good Reiki Teacher? 850837

I had one teacher from 1 through RMT level.
    I never felt the need to try other styles flower

I found that teaching adults was just
    the same as teaching children. I learned
    not to assume that adults are more advanced
    than children. I always started at the beginning. Basketball

Teaching is a skill. Like any other profession
    there are techniques needed to address individuals
    learning styles.

learning to adapt to hands on teaching, & creating
    my own style over my RMT's style.

If you have not done professional teaching
    take a class/ or read up on how to meet the
    needs of different learning styles.

teaching what if anything would you do differently?

I learned to review the facts behind Reiki since
    my RMT taught what her RMT taught and I was finding
    through Reiki Forums there were 100's of different
    Reiki Styles. That was confusing so I passed this info
    onto my students.

I only offer 1 style.

That they have teaching skills and they follow a curriculum.
    Be available to assist their students after the Reiki class
    is over.Students still needs supervision when they go off on
    their own.
    ~~

Thanks for taking the time to ask these questions
    This is a subject not really addressed. I have
    observed students come to Reiki forums to get questions
    answered. What makes a good Reiki Teacher? 850837 sunny

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:43 am

Read on!...

Pachamama wrote:

What shone through for me from all my teachers is their confidence, knowledge and belief in what they are teaching.

Pachamama wrote:

I had done quite a bit of research in order to write my own Reiki manuals, so I actually felt pretty confident from the start, even though I had never taught before!

Pachamama wrote:

Not really!

Pachamama wrote:

Pros include the feeling of joy and happiness I get when I teach Reiki, meeting different people who seem somehow to have much in common! Watching the transformation some people experience as they "get it" or something clicks in their mind!

Cons: I don't get to teach as often as I would like!

Pachamama wrote:

Make sure you really get to know your subject so you can answer as many questions as possible and have explanations ready for the things you teach. Be honest: if you don't know the answer to a particular question say so and then try to research the answer and get back to the student! Also, get to know about things around your subject that can be related to it.

Pachamama wrote:

I think I would like to be able to spread my courses over more than one day so they are not quite so intensive - but currently I am not able to do that due to family commitments.

Pachamama wrote:
    That there is always something new to learn...often from your students!

Pachamama wrote:

No. Smile

Pachamama wrote:
    Maybe! Suspect

Pachamama wrote:

No, not before I started teaching. I researched how other teachers structured their classes, read some articles about teaching in general and modified that to suit what I wanted to do. However, I am currently attending some Shoden classes as a teaching assistant as part of my Jikiden Reiki training to become a Shihan.

Pachamama wrote:

My first Reiki teacher was not actually "taught" how to teach Reiki - she was attuned along with several others, all the way to Master level in Reiki and Seichim, at the end of a lecture and was given a photocopied handout of the symbols and attunement procedures. This is the main reason I did a lot of research myself because I wanted to understand more about what I was teaching - and how to teach it!

My teacher for Gendai and Komyo (and Sekhem-Seichim-Reiki) supplied me with a CD manuals and certificate templates and DVD with the attunemnt processes and some other stuff but those courses were really designed for existing Reiki teachers who wanted to learn those particular styles.

My Jikiden Reiki teacher, Tadao Yamaguchi has provided much more of an idea of how to teach and organise a Jikiden Reiki seminar (at Shihan Kaku level) and there is opportunity to make practical use of that and get more ideas by helping other Jikiden Reiki teachers at their seminars.

Pachamama wrote:
    Know your subject well, be honest and also be sensitive to the different needs and learning styles of your students.
    Also, make yourself available for post-course support as and when it is needed.

Pachamama wrote:
    ~~

Hope you appreciate my answers, Sharon! Very Happy
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:02 am

I certainly do appreciate your answers Colin and yours Bridget, thank you both!! Very Happy

One thing I love about Jikiden is the structure of the training....the respeats at Shoden and Okuden level and then the amount of hands on experience required before moving up to Shihan Kaku ( assistant teacher)....then on to Shihan ( teacher)

Personally I think this kind of structure would be beneficial to all Reiki teaching, but thats just my point of view.. Smile

Bridget, 'teaching is a skill'...I couldn't agree more! some people have a natural ability for teaching....others need to be taught how to develop those abilities.

I've studied a variety of subjects from a variety of teachers.....and ( god this sounds like I'm up my own backside)but on more than one occasion, I thought I could have done a better job of teaching myself! I just felt like some of them were not very good teachers!.. Having indepth knowledge of a subject isn't enough for teaching, one has to know how to convey the subject matter in a way than can be best understood by the students. I did a PTLLS course( preparing to teach in the life long sector)a couple of years ago as I wanted to teach Indian Head Massage at College...it was a very interesting course....I learned a lot, but when it came up to standing infront of a class to teach ( as was part of the course)..god I was nervous!!! public speaking has always been a weak point for me...I used to turn purple as a kid when I had to read out loud infront of the class!..As it turned out my teaching went down very well..PHEW!!

I'm an extremely confident lady at times, but a bag of nerves at others...I'm quite gobby and enjoy making a point, but at times I can get so self concsious when all eyes are on me ( I slip back into kid mode reading in class and turning purple!!)

During the course I wrote some things about what I thought makes a good teacher..and my study buddy who was an ex long-serving policeman....said some lovely things about my views and how it restored his faith in folk again...(Hehe bless him!) When going over my work my teacher didn't resonate with some of my views because they weren't exactly coming from an academic viewpoint, but more from a centre of equality and sharing knowledge..so I had to leave out some of my more heartfelt expressions, and concentrate on what I needed to write in order to get the pass mark!..I passed.

Incase it isn't already obvious, I am thinking about taking the next step into teaching Reiki.....but before I reach that level..I definately need to work on not turning purple during public speaking!! ahahah

It seems so many Reiki teachers teach differently!...some offer great teaching resources, advice and support....others offer very little...thats why I put out these questions really, to try and get a taste of other people's experiences.

Thanks again Bridget and Colin....much appreciated! x

~~

any others care to share??
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Pachamama, congratulations on your
    next step to become a Reiki teacher.
    I told you a few years ago you'd
    make a great teacher. You ask great
    questions,you challenge others to
    share and you also challenge & question
    yourself... Not because your unsure but
    that your want to give it your all, plus
    more. You go beyond the surface and dig in
    all directions leaving no stone unturned. bounce
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:01 pm

ahah..yeah I have been accused of all the things you state!! I'd have made a great detective!! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:32 pm