Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

5 posters

Smudging with sage.......

thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Smudging with sage....... Empty Smudging with sage.......

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:52 am

(Uh Oh, incoming..............)

I see smudging with sage for cleansing seems to be very popular and common. Right?

One of the beautiful memories I have is stepping into the pueblos in santafe, new mexico and smelling the sage in the air and the native american singing in the background!! DIVINE!

Why sage for cleansing?
    why do they have to be smoked? What does smoking have to do with cleansing?
    Is it just 'conditioning' the brain to think a 'cleansing' has taken place , keep the pleasant smell in your memory, start thinking positively???

Why is 'smoking' called "SMUDGING"? Is there something I am not getting?
    or just a terminology?

In India we use 'sambrani' on a daily basis...I didn't understand it then, Now I see the whole thing differently!
    Sambrani in Tamil, ( south indian language) is a resin like substance that is lit up and 'shown' to dieties and walked thru rooms!!!!
    It has a beeeeeeeeeautiful smell. drunken

AHA!!!!!!! People were smudging and cleansing!!!!
    Why, does it busts thru stagnant energies? why not turn on a fan? then there is breeze..

But we were never taught 'why' it was being done.
    Except blindly followed b'cos it is just a ritual.

Then I have seen the same 'sambrani' being used in the streets, there were some muslim men walking around in the streets where there are a lot of shops. These guys carry a portable container where the 'sambrani' can be lit up and they bring it into the shop and use a peacock feather to 'fan' the smoke into the shop. They get paid to do that!!

This seems to be in a lot of cultures. Hindus, Muslims, Native Americans!!!
    Freaking cool.......

EXCEPT, what in the cantalope does smoking or smudging do besides smell divine and fresh and uplift? May be it is just conditioning the brain??

Thanks,

@QQQQQQQ0
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Smudging with sage....... Empty Re: Smudging with sage.......

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:53 am

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!

I made my caterpillar scroll!!!!!!!!!

Smudging with sage....... 158903

Yeah baby, Yeah!!!
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:31 am

My shamanic instructor explains...

That the aromatic smoke of Sage, or there is a type of wood they use in South America and I can't remember it, or kupal (a type of aromatic resin from South America), or agua de florida (a perfume like smelling substance that you spit on people or things or places), or any other number of aromatic substances, causes our light bodies to wake up.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:37 am

Thaak wrote:My shamanic instructor explains...

That the aromatic smoke of Sage, or there is a type of wood they use in South America and I can't remember it, or kupal (a type of aromatic resin from South America), or agua de florida (a perfume like smelling substance that you spit on people or things or places), or any other number of aromatic substances, causes our light bodies to wake up.

Ooooh, cool!

and did you just say SPIT?

.........Our light bodies to wake up??? WHOA?!! Shocked
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:25 pm

My shamanic instructor explains...

[quote]

I've worked with the above and one CAUTION: You never, ever, ever want to ingest into your mouth Florida Water to spit. It's pure perfume! You can, however, sprinkle it over one's body or the person can use it in the palms of their hands as in a "dry bathing" action.

Rose

PS: cool caterpillar!
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:37 pm

[quote="Violet Rose Reiki"]My shamanic instructor explains...

I've worked with the above and one CAUTION: You never, ever, ever want to ingest into your mouth Florida Water to spit. It's pure perfume! You can, however, sprinkle it over one's body or the person can use it in the palms of their hands as in a "dry bathing" action.

Rose

PS: cool caterpillar!

Sure, you don't want to swallow it, but the Qero of Peru, my instructor, and most of my classmates all spit Florida Water. I can't bring myself to do it because it is so pungent.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:34 am

Hey Rose! Very Happy
    Guys, what's wrong with florida water? Is it a 'type' of water?? Suspect scratch
    ( I think I must be broadcasting my own FM or something... cyclops , Yesterday I was trying to post something under this topic! but I lost the material I bookmarked..)
    The website was explaining why sage works. Because our aura has negative ions and sage has positive ions...etc,. something along the lines... tongue
    I am going to keep looking..

Q Like a Star @ heaven - Do a lot of RPs actually smudge religiously? I smudge occasionally, I didn't like the smell very much and the sage I used used to 'stick around' for a few days. so I am experimenting.
    Apparently the sage also smells like pot, I 've got kids in the house and I don't want people who visit to think I am doing pot or something.. I do , do POTs and pans and that's about it.
    drunken
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:52 am

Hi H.C.

Florida Water is the American version of Eau de Cologne, or Cologne Water. It has the same citrus basis as Cologne Water, but shifts the emphasis to sweet orange (rather than the lemon and neroli of the original Cologne Water), and adds spicy notes including lavender and clove. It has a high amount of alcohol in it and will burn if lit by a match.

Yes, sage does smell like pot! lol I feel that this is another new age, shamanistic tradition brought into reiki. (again a deviation from true reiki) I doubt Usui sensei used sage.

I use sage to clear and clean my home about once a month. The windows must be open so that the smoke etc. is released, as well as having you not choke to death from the aroma and smoke etc. Some people burn sweetgrass also. You can also use any othe type of incense to clear and clean the energy such as Frankincense and Myrrh, mexican copal, japanese incense, nag champa, song of India, etc. There are lots of other methods to clean and clear. Just use the one that resonates for you.

Hope this helped! Smile

Rose
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:25 am

I don't smudge every day, but I do smudge as much as I can of the building before I do attunements. That is, I use a lit incense stick to draw CKR's all over the place, and double CKR's for every door.

I have some incense and cleansed my living room once. Only once! I had to dust afterwards - and I just don't dust, sweetie, it's sooo unhygenic! Shocked

It's not part of Reiki, but when I do it I feel I'm making a sweet place for spirit to be in.
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:54 pm

It's funny, I sage and burn incense and copal and all kinds of things just to keep the vibration in my house clean and clear. Not that there is much traffic but between clients and students, friends, etc. I feel it's good to clear the decks evey once in a while but the truly funny thing is people always remark about how peaceful and comfortable and lovely my home "feels". I guess it's a good thing then cause my home seems to make people very happy! Very Happy

Like I said, do whatever works for you personally and enjoy.

Rose I love you
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Florida Water is the American version of Eau de Cologne, or Cologne Water. It has the same citrus basis as Cologne Water, but shifts the emphasis to sweet orange (rather than the lemon and neroli of the original Cologne Water), and adds spicy notes including lavender and clove. It has a high amount of alcohol in it and will burn if lit by a match.

Shocked
    will CHANEL work the same way? jocolor

I use sage to clear and clean my home about once a month. The windows must be open so that the smoke etc. is released, as well as having you not choke to death from the aroma and smoke etc. Some people burn sweetgrass also. You can also use any othe type of incense to clear and clean the energy such as Frankincense and Myrrh, mexican copal, japanese incense, nag champa, song of India, etc. There are lots of other methods to clean and clear. Just use the one that resonates for you.

Hope this helped! Smile

Yes, My dear, absolutely!
    Thanks,

THC
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Pandora wrote:I don't smudge every day, but I do smudge as much as I can of the building before I do attunements. That is, I use a lit incense stick to draw CKR's all over the place, and double CKR's for every door.

I have some incense and cleansed my living room once. Only once! I had to dust afterwards - and I just don't dust, sweetie, it's sooo unhygenic! Shocked

It's not part of Reiki, but when I do it I feel I'm making a sweet place for spirit to be in.

Laughing

yeah, incense can leave a huge trail!

I like the idea of drawing CKRs! Cool
    I do love the 'peace' after effect of cleansing.........
    .........almost as beautiful as flute played in the canyons - effect!
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:31 pm

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:will CHANEL work the same way? jocolor

Probably, however I'd suggest you go for something a little more in keeping with the therapy you're practicing:

Smudging with sage....... Reiki_14

Smile

Last edited by Rlei_ki on Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:05 am; edited 1 time in total
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi James!

Now that's what I would call COOL! bounce

Rose I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:22 pm