Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Colin
chi_solas
6 posters

The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010. Reiki Segment

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.  Reiki  Segment Empty The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010. Reiki Segment

Post by chi_solas Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 am

This should be an interesting show
    where Reiki/medicine hit the road cheers

Check DoctorOz.com

Here's part of the info I received
    from Pamela Miles

Dear bridget,

Increasing public and health care interest in Reiki is a great gift to all of us, and I'm thrilled to announce that public interest is about to receive a big booster shot.

Yesterday we taped a Reiki segment for The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.

You'll see Mehmet mention that his wife is a Reiki master, how he and I worked together in the O.R., and his vision of Reiki as the next frontier of medicine. Reiki--and the public-- couldn't have a more impressive, more sincere advocate.

Check my website for the air date, or look on DoctorOz.com. And for anyone who isn't yet a fan, Mehmet Oz is a renowned cardiac surgeon who has supported the use of complementary therapies long before it was fashionable, appearing on the cover of the July 30, 1995 NY Time's Sunday Magazine. He catapaulted to fame when he became a regular guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and continues to empower viewers to take better care of themselves through his own show.

Good developments from the health care side as well. The current research initiative of National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is pain management. NCCAM is well aware of Reiki, having already funded five studies.

The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.  Reiki  Segment 73993
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.  Reiki  Segment Empty Re: The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010. Reiki Segment

Post by Colin Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:26 pm

Great stuff, Bridget!

I hope someone puts a video of the Reiki segment onto youtube or somewhere because I don't think we are likely to see that show in the UK.

Thanks for the info! Very Happy
    Stardust
    Stardust

The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.  Reiki  Segment Empty Re: The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010. Reiki Segment

Post by Stardust Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:42 pm

This is fantastic.

I just love Dr. Oz. I hope I find this show somewhere on the net.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:19 am

Stardust wrote:This is fantastic.

I just love Dr. Oz. I hope I find this show somewhere on the net.

Hi Stardust good to see you back.

You can go to his website lots of
    great stuff. The Dr.Oz show should
    get you there. Lots of quick little
    videos. He has a way of talking about
    issues in layman terms and engages his
    live audience in dialog even if the
    issues are embarrassing he treats all
    issues as matter of fact. It was no
    surprize to me to learn that his wife is
    "Reiki" sunny
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:43 am

Hi chi_solas,

I delurk once in awhile. Razz

I think it's exciting his wife is involved with Reiki. He is cool and reasonable about health and I wish I had a doctor like him. I will definitely check out his website.

Thank you for sharing the info.
    fshortt
    fshortt
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by fshortt Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 am

chi_solas wrote:This should be an interesting show

Check DoctorOz.com

from Pamela Miles

Dear bridget,

Increasing public and health care interest in Reiki is a great gift to all of us, and I'm thrilled to announce that public interest is about to receive a big booster shot.

Yesterday we taped a Reiki segment for The Dr. Oz Show that will air in January 2010.

You'll see Mehmet mention that his wife is a Reiki master, how he and I worked together in the O.R., and his vision of Reiki as the next frontier of medicine. Reiki--and the public-- couldn't have a more impressive, more sincere advocate.

Check my website for the air date, or look on DoctorOz.com. And for anyone who isn't yet a fan, Mehmet Oz is a renowned cardiac surgeon who has supported the use of complementary therapies long before it was fashionable, appearing on the cover of the July 30, 1995 NY Time's Sunday Magazine. He catapaulted to fame when he became a regular guest on The Oprah Winfrey Show, and continues to empower viewers to take better care of themselves through his own show.

Good developments from the health care side as well. The current research initiative of National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) is pain management. NCCAM is well aware of Reiki, having already funded five studies.

Pamela and drOZ should definately talk to Dr.Melinda Connor at University of Arizona who had together with her team (inc. Dr. Gary Schwartz) who have been doing studies for NCCAM and NIH - with quite a bit of their work white-papered by NIH. Also Dr. Allan Sweeney is getting 99.something% cure on ADHD/ADD with reiki and complimentary methods - no drugs.

have been following Pamela´s work for a while now, think if we could bring these people together they would all benefit and so would we all Smile

great stuff as always Bridget

f
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:10 pm

fshortt wrote:

Check DoctorOz.com

from Pamela Miles

Dear bridget,

Pamela and drOZ should definately talk to Dr.Melinda Connor at University of Arizona who had together with her team (inc. Dr. Gary Schwartz) who have been doing studies for NCCAM and NIH - with quite a bit of their work white-papered by NIH. Also Dr. Allan Sweeney is getting 99.something% cure on ADHD/ADD with reiki and complimentary methods - no drugs.

have been following Pamela´s work for a while now, think if we could bring these people together they would all benefit and so would we all Smile

great stuff as always Bridget

f

Thanks, I checked out their sites
    and bookmarked for future reference study
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 pm

sunny Reiki on Dr.Oz this Wednesday

I've just heard that the Reiki segment on Dr. Oz' show is supposed to air this Wednesday, January 6.

Dr. Oz is an enthusiastic booster of Reiki, so it'll be worth tuning in to see.
    For Portland, Maine folks that's 2 p.m. on Channel 6 - NBC. Pass it on!
    www.jeffreiki.com/eldersbloom.html
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:08 pm

Check DoctorOz.com

from Pamela Miles

[. . . .]

Bridget,

Where can we see the results of the studies?

Bruce
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:40 pm

Bruce wrote:

Check DoctorOz.com

from Pamela Miles

[. . . .]

Bridget,

Bruce

bruce I don't have that info Maybe Pamela does
    this was the last email I got from her.

Dear Bridget,

Reiki concludes the alternative medicine segment on this Wednesday's Dr. Oz Show (3PM on Fox, January 6).

After demonstrating therapies such as alternate nostril breathing and cupping, Mehmet turns to Reiki. He says, “The next [alternative remedy] I’m going to talk about is one of my favorites. We’ve been using it in the Oz family for years...” And it gets better from there.

Having Reiki make even a brief appearance on a mainstream health show is a significant step forward. Yes, Dr. Oz is a populist, but he is first of all a renowned cardiac surgeon at one of the top teaching hospitals in the world, and he would not give his attention to anything risky or without merit.

We are fortunate indeed to have such a credible, sensible, well informed, and popular advocate (need I mention totally charming and adorable?).

HELPING OZ HELP US
    Now let's help Dr. Oz help us. This is our chance to let the producers know the public wants more information like this.

How can we do this?

Simple--watch the show, and invite your community to watch it. If you are part of an internet Reiki meetup group, post a notice there. Email your Reiki circle, your clients, your students. Email Uncle Harry. Post it on Facebook, on your page and share with any relevant groups you belong to.

The producers track the viewership for each program, and content that draws viewers is more likely to get featured again. If no one watches, they assume the public isn't interested.

READY TO STEP FORWARD?
    This is also an opportunity for Reiki professionals to step forward in your own community.

Communications expert Jonna Rae Bartges from Asheville, North Carolina suggests contacting "your local station that airs the Dr. Oz show, and pitching a local angle of the Reiki story by demonstrating how Reiki works. Dr. Oz gives Reiki great credibility, and you can give it the local practical application. The stations will also appreciate getting a 2-day head start on the story."

Some hospitals that offer Reiki are recording the segment to publicize their programs. What a good idea to share with anyone you know who practices in health care!

Many of you have been trying to start Reiki programs in various institutions. Let your contacts there know about The Dr. Oz Show.

Remember that public health care institutions are conservative. They don't want to be the first to do anything. Seeing Reiki on a mainstream health program gives them confidence that there is public awareness and interest.

THE SURVEY CONTINUES...
    Thank you to all who completed the survey telling me about your Reiki goals and how I can help you achieve them. I am studying your suggestions and feedback, and putting together training materials and an online class (this is what you asked for). Those who complete the survey will be informed first as these developments take shape. The survey is 3 questions short and it's not too late to fill it out; just click here now.

FACEBOOK ANYONE?
    Today I received an email from a Reiki master in England who was inspired by Reiki, Medicine and Self Care to start a Facebook page on which to interact with her students. I was so happy to read that. Students need mentoring and we all learn so much from one another. What's stopping you?

REIKI CENTRAL BLOG
    If you have a story of how your Reiki practice has brought peace to you, or enabled you to carry peacefulness into a tense situation, please share it with us under Peace Work. Healing MS tells how one smart, brave woman added Reiki and yoga to her conventional medical treatment with great results. And Toward a More Plausible Reiki Model continues to draw comments (53 at last count).

With Reiki getting so much mainstream attention, it's more important than ever that you practice your communication skills. You have something valuable to share. Stop by the blog or join the conversation on Facebook, but please, please, let your voice be heard...for everyone's sake.

Many Reiki blessings,
    Pamela
    Pamela Miles | Reiki in Medicine | New York, NY

This email was sent to info@reiki-support.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 am

[quote="chi_solas"]
    Bruce wrote:

Check DoctorOz.com

from Pamela Miles

[. . . .]

Bridget,

Bruce

chi_solas wrote:
    bruce I don't have that info Maybe Pamela does
    this was the last email I got from her.

At least some of the NIH's studies on reiki, qigong, and other CAM modalities were completed several years ago, but I haven't been able to find reports of the results. Does anyone here know about reports of the results?

Bruce

Last edited by Milarepa on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : fixing quotes)
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 am

Clinical Studies on
    the Effectiveness of Reiki

* Linda Haley's Rebuttal to Catholic Church Ban on Reiki

While Reiki is a common form of treatment throughout the world, its many benefits are only recently becoming recognized by western medicine. A number of national and international programs identify how Reiki can integrate into traditional medical treatments. Following are selected areas of research and reporting:

* The United States Army unveiled a $4 million program to mend the psyches of returning veterans through Reiki and other bioenergies [http://blog.wired.com:80/defense/2008/03/army-bioenergy.html.] The Department of Veterans Affairs uses Reiki in their Hepatitis C treatment program. Fort Bliss’ Warrior Resilience program — the same one Army Chief of Staff Gen. George Casey believes should be replicated throughout the military — uses it as one tool to help soldiers strengthen and recover following combat.
    Click here for more information

* Sensitive instruments have been developed that can detect the minute energy fields around the human body. Of particular importance is the SQUID magnetometer which is capable of detecting tiny biomagnetic fields associated with physiological activities in the body. This is the same field that sensitive individuals have been describing for thousands of years, but that scientists have ignored because there was no objective way to measure it. [http://www.reiki.org/reikinews/ScienceMeasures.htm]

* Reikimedresearch.org is dedicated to collecting, documenting and publicizing the information about medical effects of Reiki therapy. It is intended to promote Reiki use in hospitals and to connect Reiki practitioners of different lineages, their patients and physicians through summarizing and providing medical information about Reiki therapy.

* Reiki practitioners in Europe track the effectiveness of Reiki treatments on dozens of illnesses, reporting their findings in the site www.reiki-research.co.uk.

* The National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) at the National Institutes of Health notes that Reiki belongs to "Biofield Medicine, which involves systems that use subtle energy fields in and around the body for medical purposes". Refer to nccam.nih.gov/health/reiki/#. Some recent NCCAM-supported studies have been investigating:
    * How Reiki might work
    * Whether Reiki is effective and safe for treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia.
    * Reiki's possible impact on the well-being and quality of life in people with advanced AIDS.
    * The effects of Reiki on disease progression and/or anxiety in people with prostate cancer.
    * Whether Reiki can help control blood sugar levels or improve heart function in people who have nerve pain from diabetes.

* In January 2007, at Cranky.Com, a website devoted to interests of Baby Boomers, Reiki was the fourth most popular internet search in the U.S.

* The Cleveland Clinic announced receipt of a $250,000 study to examine the effects of Reiki on men with prostate
    cancer. The hospital currently incorporates Reiki into their treatments on a number of illnesses, ranging from
    depression to cancer (August 2004).

* Autonomic Nervous-System-Changes During Reiki Treatment: A Preliminary Study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine Volume 10, Number 6. This study revealed a significant reduction in diastolic blood pressure and heart rate in the Reiki group that didn’t appear in the placebo group or the control group, thus tending to indicate that Reiki created an important effect that was not caused by suggestion.

* The Reiki Research Foundation reports on a study using Reiki as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis: 90.2% Reduction of Lethargy; 87% Reduction of Depression; 78.7% Reduction of Cognitive Problems; 75.3% Reduction of Motor Problems; 73.5% Reduction of Pain; 70.2% Reduction of Fatigue; 69.1% Reduction of Urine Problems; 62.8% Reduction of Bowel Problems; 38% Reduction in Walking Time. [www.reikiresearchfoundation.org/msstudies.htm]

* The Clinical Center (Bethesda, Maryland) is a unique medical institution totally funded by Congress. As a research hospital affiliated with The National Institutes of Health, the Center has successfully demonstrated Reiki’s ability to integrate into even the most demanding medical settings. Diana Linnekin, Ph.D., a researcher at the National Cancer Institute, reports that “she was especially impressed with Reiki’s ability to fill the gap when medical interventions for pain had been exhausted.”
    Miles, P. “Reiki at the NIH’s Clinical Center.” This article is available at www.ReikiInMedicine.org

* NIH-supported clinical trials, which are currently recruiting patients, will test the efficacy of Reiki (including distant Reiki) in the treatment of Fibromyalgia at the University of WA - CFS/FM Research Center, Seattle, Washington, and Reiki in the treatment of patients with advanced AIDS will be performed at Temple University and Albert Einstein Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Planned study, which will be performed by Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio will test Reiki for prostate cancer [www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct/search?term=Reiki&submit=Search]

* There are ongoing clinical trials of Reiki healing techniques for diabetic peripheral vascular disease and autonomic neuropathy, carried out at the Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research in CVD, Adult Cardiac Surgery/Thoracic Transplantation and rehabilitation from stroke, spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury, carried out at the Center for Research in Complementary and Alternative Medicine for Stroke and Neurological Disorders at the Kessler Institute for Rehabilitation (West Orange, NJ)
    [The University of Michigan Taubman Health Care Center 2120, Box 0344, AnnArbor, MI 48109; www.med.umich.edu/camrc/research/reiki.html]

* The website Reiki in Hospitals (www.reikiinhospitals.org) “promotes the availability of Reiki in medical settings by providing a list of hospitals, medical clinics, and hospice programs where Reiki sessions are offered.”

* Reiki is already used in several hospitals for cancer patients: Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (Lebanon, NH), Integrative Medicine Outpatient Center at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (New York, NY), Integrative Therapies Program for Children with Cancer at New York Presbyterian Medical Hospital (New York, NY), Metropolitan South Health Center (“ Direccion de Servicios Metropolitano Sur”, Santiago, Chile) Miles, P. True, G. “Reiki: A Biofield Therapy—Theory, History, Practice and Research.” Alternate Therapy Health Medicine, March/April 2003 9(2) 62-72. This is also available on Pamela Miles' website at www.ReikiInMedicine.org
    [Miles: www.alternativetherapies.com/at/pdfarticles/0103reiki.pdf]
    Used in conjunction with conventional cancer treatments, Reiki is reported to ease the side effects of chemotherapy and radiation, improve immune function, ease anxiety and enhance positive emotional attitude, decrease pain and promote relaxation.

* Both hands-on and distant Reiki treatments resulted in statistically-significant decrease in the symptoms of psychological depression and self-perceived stress, and the treatments had the long-term effect [Shore]. The nature of psychological effects arising during a Reiki session were studied, and anxiety was shown to reduce after treatments [Engebretson, Wardell]. Certain physiological changes were associated with receiving Reiki treat-ments, including decrease in systolic blood pressure, increase in salivary IgA levels and decrease in salivary cortisol after treatments, increase in skin temperature and decrease in electromyographic activity during treatments [Wardell].
    * Shore, A.G., "Long-term effects of energetic healing on symptoms of psychological depression and selfperceived
    stress", Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 10(3): 42-48 (2004)
    * Wardell, D.W., Engebretson, J., "Biological correlates of Reiki touch healing", J. Advanced Nursing, 33(4): 439-
    445 (2001)
    * Engebretson, J., Wardell, D.W., "Experience of a Reiki session", Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine,
    8(2): 48-53 (2002)

* Newsweek (April 24, 2004) notes that “For more and more Americans, complementary and alternative therapies are
    the way to go.” Dr. David Eisenberg, head of Harvard Medical School’s Osher Institute and director of a pilot program funded by the National Institute of Health, is currently studying nonsurgical alternatives at its new complementary medicine center.”

* Columbus Monthly (December 2003) reports that “Articles examining alternative modalities are appearing in the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association. Hundreds of medical schools across the country, including The Ohio State University College of Medicine, have added alternative medicine to their programs of study. The National Institutes of Health has created a National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) to conduct clinical trials.”

* Healthy Living, a newsletter for Ohio hospitals and clinics, reports that “Reiki is gaining acceptance in medical settings as a cost-effective way to improve patient care.” (July 2005).

* The International Center for Reiki Training surveyed “America’s Best Hospitals,” as ranked by U.S. News and World Report, to discover that 60% of them currently had a hospital-based Reiki program in place. Of those that did not, 50% reported that they would consider it.

* Prevention Magazine reports that “Many nurses and other practitioners are trained in Reiki and therapeutic touch, two gentle therapies. In a study of 230 cancer patients at the University of Minneapolis, healing touch therapies lessened fatigue while calming blood pressure and heart rate, not to mention the patients themselves.” (March 2005)

* Reiki therapy is safe and non-invasive. It is proving useful in hospices, nursing homes, emergency rooms, operating rooms, organ transplantation care units, pediatric, neonatal and OB/GYN units; facilitating relaxation and recovery and decreasing anxiety and pain; it can be a helpful addition to conventional therapy for HIV/AIDS and cancer patients [Miles: www.pamelamilesreiki.com]

To Top of Page

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:53 am

Here is the link to the segment on Reiki on Dr. Oz's show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPj2uuiReds

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 12:52 am