Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration Empty My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:52 am

Check us guys out, The Martial Arts Show, Birmingham, England, 2010!

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration Empty Re: My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration

Post by Colin Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:45 am

Well done, Wayne! It looks quite brutal - but then again so are some people, I guess!

Neutral
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration Empty Re: My first Personal Protection/ Martial Arts Demonstration

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:04 am

thanks buddy! it's different from martial arts. martial arts is training in a safe environment, with many co-ordinated scenarios. complex moves, that take up to years to be effective in high stress situations.

we deal with what goes on in the street. attacks are very brutal, very fast, very unpredictable. so we train as we'd encounter in reality. anything from training in ordinary clothes, to training against real baseball bats, and using our ordinary shoes. if we teach folks under the banner of realistic self defence, and their training isn't realistic, then we've actually endangered students. so from the start we train in high stress situations, in as simple moves as possible to keep ourselves safe.

Our demos' that you saw, got a lot of praise from many existing martial artists, for being so realistic. it's just the normal way we train though.

Being a personal protection system/self defence system, we don't want to fight. it's not for fighting, it's for safety. difference being, we'll run away if we can. if we cant escape, we'll, we'll be as brutal as it takes to avoid attacks, Smile.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 am

cool! how long u been doin this Wayne?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:35 am

hiya benni, been doing it since september last year. took the level 1 instructors course then. halfway through my level 2 now, i'll finish it this week maybe, as my Grandmaster is coming back to stay with me. so i'll be senior intrcutor then! whooop!!!
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:48 am

wow! Smile nice one bro! any martial arts experience prior to the self deffence? Smile
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:53 am

yeah, been doing bits & pieces over last 12 years : http://www.csdnottingham.com/About_Me.html

thing is, a martial arts background can be a disadvantage to this system. Self defence, as street self defence is much different from martial arts. different concepts, so a martial artists tends to have a mental block when it comes to our kinds of systems. that maybe sounds weird, but all combat isn't appropriate for all situations, facing all threats.
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:57 am

for sure!!... I dont think I'd wanna mess around with someone's gun pointing in my face hehe....
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 am

i've i get a choice, me neither!
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:11 am

depends on how much money is in the wallet I guess and how much ur "life" depends on that wallet.....Razz but depends on how serious this dude is and if u think he'll shoot u anyway for laughs n giggles.... hard to say adrenaline would be running high... and ur survival instinct may kick in..... or ur ur stomach might try to make an emergency exit without u....lol
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 am

nothing is worth more than human life. and we'll nevewr know how serious a person is, until they show it. and by then, we could be dead. Safety's always paramount, the preservation of our life, or someone else's is the only justifyable reason for violence. It's also fully supported under UK self defence law, and i'd expect international law, to one degree or another.

re: adrenaline & survival instinct. It varies of many factors. The person, the desperatedeness they see the situation, etc. In Ireland i'd an encounter about, erm, 9 years ago. Over religion really, my fiance is from the 'other side', lol. So 4 guys came into a house party, one had a handgun. They started to interogate me, i gave falsa name, but they found out who i was. That's fine, except i knew myself who these guys where, and 3 of them had already served lenghty prison sentences for killing someone, whilst they were on drugs. So i look at their eyes, see they're on Pluto, and think, 'well, i'm basically screwed here'. I had a freind, it was his house. They were also interogating him. I thought well if i do nothing i'm dead. I wasn't being brave, i was scared for sure, but it was pure survivial instinct. We suprise ourselves what we're willing to do in such situations. Anyhow, i don't wanna go on bout it here, it's not appropriate for a spiritual forum, hehe. We'll maybe hook up soon on skype benni, since we're from the same island, it's just another tale to us! Smile.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    LuvSoulJah
    LuvSoulJah

Post by LuvSoulJah Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:31 am

well I'm glad u did whatever it is ya had to do.... Would have been a terrible waste otherwise.... catch ya on skype some time Smile
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:36 pm

Hello Wayne,

I would like to ask question. Early in the first video there is a knife attack, the defender performs a take-down and forces the attacker to drop the knife, then as the defender is walking away the attacker gets up, picks up the knife and attacks again. In CSD training is there no teaching the students to secure the weapon after disarming an attacker? (I did 'street-wise protection' training with my ex husband and also years of Ving Tsun before that)

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:52 pm

EzriReiki wrote:Hello Wayne,

I would like to ask question. Early in the first video there is a knife attack, the defender performs a take-down and forces the attacker to drop the knife, then as the defender is walking away the attacker gets up, picks up the knife and attacks again. In CSD training is there no teaching the students to secure the weapon after disarming an attacker? (I did 'street-wise protection' training with my ex husband and also years of Ving Tsun before that)

EZRI

Hiya Ezri,
    Ever the eye for detail, like someone else you know very well, lol!

Yes, you're quite right. What you're seeing is actually two different secure weapon technqiues in that video. We put them together in order to make a flowing scenario. In the actual technique you speak of:

The defender, after throwing me to the ground, will either break my wrist (as he pretends to do in video), or twist my wrist to take the knife of me. Then walk away with the knife. This is the teaching technqiue.

In the later knife technique, where i attack once more, once he defends with one block to my knife hand, and then a kick to my knee to put me on the ground, then either a hammer blow to the wrist holding the knife, or place my arm maybe in an arm-bar, i drop the knife, and he then takes it.

For the benefit of the show, we had to show how two different technqiues could come together. In reality, in self defence, as i'm sure you'll know, it's highly advisable never to try to fight a person with a blade. That even the highly trained defender will probably get cut anyhow. a cut to a tendon in the arm, is serious impairment, for example. So if it was reality, with the space we even had on the tatami, the defender would have ran, moved in circles, not getting into a corner. That though, would have been much bland. And we were competing for attention with many others, lol! thanks for the proper question though!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:03 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Hiya Ezri,
    Ever the eye for detail, like someone else you know very well, lol!

Yes, Jay was a good instructor. He always says observation is the one of the keys to effective protection.

Milarepa wrote:
    In reality, in self defence, as i'm sure you'll know, it's highly advisable never to try to fight a person with a blade.

Or a person with a gun. Jay often used a blankfiring starter pistol in class demonstrations. It was a big reality-check for many defenders when they were accidentally 'shot' attempting to control and subdue the gun-pointing attacker – even though the attacker didn't intentionally squeeze the trigger

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:08 am

EzriReiki wrote:

Milarepa wrote:
    In reality, in self defence, as i'm sure you'll know, it's highly advisable never to try to fight a person with a blade.

Or a person with a gun. Jay often used a blankfiring starter pistol in class demonstrations. It was a big reality-check for many defenders when they were accidentally 'shot' attempting to control and subdue the gun-pointing attacker – even though the attacker didn't intentionally squeeze the trigger

EZRI

For sure, Smile. It's not really easy to see in those clips, but we train to attempt to de-escalate the confrontation first. If it's not possible, and we must do something, then to get the gun out of the line of fire is paramount, then dis-arm. often in CSD, one move does both.

Similar to your intructors gun technqiue, we use a 'bleeding-blade' scenario. We'll have foam knives, and put fake blood on them, then use our knife scenarios. In maybe 95% of cases, we'll have some marks on us somewhere. It's very sobering!

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:21 pm

Milarepa wrote:

Similar to your intructors gun technqiue, we use a 'bleeding-blade' scenario. We'll have foam knives, and put fake blood on them, then use our knife scenarios. In maybe 95% of cases, we'll have some marks on us somewhere. It's very sobering!

warmest wishes
    Wayne

The fake blood is very clever, that must really get the message home. Oh and I got a bit mixed up, about the pistol. Jay read what I posted and just reminded me, a blankfiring pistol was used in some demos, but not the demo about attempting to control and subdue a gun threat as blank cartridges are still dangerous. This demo used a replica gun that fired percussion caps.

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 pm

EzriReiki wrote:Jay read what I posted and just reminded me, a blankfiring pistol was used in some demos, but not the demo about attempting to control and subdue a gun threat as blank cartridges are still dangerous. This demo used a replica gun that fired percussion caps.

EZRI

Even so, i think it's still would have been great training. Some Krav Maga guys have practiced with real knives, with only paper sellotaped over the edges, lol. I havn't a clue how they still have insurance over that! We use, well, i use real baseball bats, particularly when i like the students to practice against me. And let the students put me on the ground full contact, but that's pushing it as far as our safety & insurance can go.

Like you & Jay are suggesting, it's one thing trying to be as realistic in training as poissible, but safety must be paramount with students.

warmest wishes
    Wayne

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 8:18 pm