Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

How much Reiki History do you know?

Poll

How much Reiki history do you know.

[ 2 ]
    How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_left20%How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_left0%How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_right [0%] 
    [ 8 ]
    How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_left80%How much Reiki History do you know? Bar_right [80%] 

Total Votes: 10
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

How much Reiki History do you know? Empty How much Reiki History do you know?

Post by chi_solas Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:31 am

When it comes to Reiki History how much
    do you as a Practitioner really know. Arrow
    catsquotl

How much Reiki History do you know? Empty Re: How much Reiki History do you know?

Post by catsquotl Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:03 am

I guess none...
    It seems the history as thought by the reiki alliance in the old days was more made of of stories to teach concepts..
    The true history is slowly comming to be known to people outside japan since the work of frank petter..

But there are also loads of so called channeled info with reiki having its roots in ancient egyptian, tibetan, lemurian and alien times....

I am pondering though as i am thinking about teaching in the near future.
    What is important to know as a student.. What is added and beneficial. how do I discern what may work.

For now I am thinking along lines of teaching/sharing the frank petter history. Discuss the value or lack thereof of added insights, channeled info etc. ANd sort of grow towards Reiki in the here and now.

What does Reiki do for you
    How does it affect your life
    etc..

WIth Love
    Eelco
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

How much Reiki History do you know? Empty Re: How much Reiki History do you know?

Post by Colin Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:28 am

Sorry, Bridget, I can't select just one option in the vote because I would have to select all three options!
    Very Happy

I have studied Reiki History in depth for years!
    I have been to Japan to learn more about Reiki (don't know why I would need to go to Tibet to learn about Reiki though Evil or Very Mad )
    I am still learning about Reiki history!

Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:19 am

Colin wrote:Sorry, Bridget, I can't select just one option in the vote because I would have to select all three options!
    Very Happy

I have studied Reiki History in depth for years!
    I have been to Japan to learn more about Reiki (don't know why I would need to go to Tibet to learn about Reiki though Evil or Very Mad )
    I am still learning about Reiki history!

Smile

Thanks Colin. This is my first time doing a poll
    I know there should be "Other" There's always other.

I mentioned Tibet cause I've heard it mentioned
    in Reiki share circles. I'm still in the learning
    process. How does one find the true history.

I've read Helen J Haberly's "Hawayo Takata's Story",
    she claims to be Takata's friend/student.Her books
    8th printing is 1997 & she mentions that Usui spent
    time in the US. I was taught that this information
    was not correct. Yet reading a personal account of
    Takata's life from her friend/student that mentions
    Usui's US Travel's would give me the impression that
    this info is true sunny
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 am

Hi Bridget

I too believe that Usui may have spent some time in America - it even says so on his memorial stone, erected in 1927 by his students! Smile

So, did he attend Chicago University, as Mrs Takata told her students? Why is there no record of a Mikao Usui studying there? Well, like many Japanese people who went to America (and as I think as has already been mentioned on here somewhere) he could well have changed his name to make it easier for Westerners to pronounce or may have Westernised it altogether or taken on a sponsor's family name. I doubt that we will ever know for sure!

I also says on his memorial that he visited Europe and studied in China as well, so he would very probably have studied the roots and spread of Buddhism and this would have included Tibetan Buddhism. Smile

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:24 pm

catsquotl wrote:I guess none...
    It seems the history as thought by the reiki alliance in the old days was more made of of stories to teach concepts..
    The true history is slowly comming to be known to people outside japan since the work of frank petter..

But there are also loads of so called channeled info with reiki having its roots in ancient egyptian, tibetan, lemurian and alien times....

I am pondering though as i am thinking about teaching in the near future.
    What is important to know as a student.. What is added and beneficial. how do I discern what may work.

For now I am thinking along lines of teaching/sharing the frank petter history. Discuss the value or lack thereof of added insights, channeled info etc. ANd sort of grow towards Reiki in the here and now.

What does Reiki do for you
    How does it affect your life
    etc..

WIth Love
    Eelco

Embarassed what happened my response disappeared affraid
    I'll give it another try later when I have time to re-group
    my thoughts. bounce
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:13 am

catsquotl; Reading/hearing many versions
    from different cultural pespectives can
    be confusing.I often wonder if,the Usui
    Reiki system has been integrated into
    other cultural energy systems over time
    creating Usui's history to get lost in
    that process. I understand that Usui's
    decendents have not contributed to making
    clarifications about his life. They would
    be the folks who can help complete the
    missing details of Usui's life history.
    Researching family history can be quite
    complicated, not all families are ready
    to do that.study

I agree that teaching Reiki History when
    teaching the Reiki system needs careful
    thought to how its presented. I like
    your idea of the here and now. I teach
    with an open style giving students the
    information that I have and encouraging
    my students to seek/access futher Usui
    information that continues to surface. How much Reiki History do you know? 850837
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:19 am

Colin wrote:Hi Bridget

I too believe that Usui may have spent some time in America - it even says so on his memorial stone, erected in 1927 by his students! Smile

So, did he attend Chicago University, as Mrs Takata told her students? Why is there no record of a Mikao Usui studying there? Well, like many Japanese people who went to America (and as I think as has already been mentioned on here somewhere) he could well have changed his name to make it easier for Westerners to pronounce or may have Westernised it altogether or taken on a sponsor's family name. I doubt that we will ever know for sure!

I'm figuring that getting into a University
    would mean speaking American English. In my
    younger years going to college meant studying
    or speaking French/Spanish/Latin as a 2nd
    language. Do we know if Usui spoke more than
    1 language. Razz

Immigration debunks the name changes happening
    by them when someone entered the US even way
    back in Usui's day. Name changes might have
    happened when a person volunteered to change
    their own name when joining social groups.
    Folks still do that today not because the
    government says they have to. I understand
    that Immigration policy was/is to check the
    list of incoming passengers that had to match
    the passport of arriving passengers. They did
    not have to pronounce the names just match them. Arrow

I also says on his memorial that he visited Europe and studied in China as well, so he would very probably have studied the roots and spread of Buddhism and this would have included Tibetan Buddhism. Smile

Thanks for this info. Have you posted
    pictures of your travels to Japan on RLL sunny
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Here's some interesting info..

Another look at some elements of the 'new' History of Reiki. ... terms with these - as some saw it - serious errors in the account of the History of Reiki. ...
    www.aetw.org/reiki_japanese_christianity.htm - Cached

Is it possible that Usui-sensi may have been known by another name in the US:

[from REIKI HISTORY AND REIKI MYTH: Another look at some elements of the 'new' History of Reiki...]

"In the years immediately following the reopening of Japanese ports to foreign trade, it was still very difficult for Japanese citizens to get permission to leave the county, yet in 1864, a 21 year old samurai named Niijima Jou (1843-1890) secretly found passage on a ship to the U.S. (via China) with the intent of studying Christianity and science

Settling in Massachusetts, he attended Amherst College and Andover Theological Seminary; eventually, in 1874, becoming ordained as a Protestant minister.

However, at the time, had you contacted either Amherst College or the Andover Seminary enquiring as to whether or not an individual named Niijima Jou had attended their establishment, you may well have received an answer something along the lines of the one William Rand received from the University of Chicago, concerning Mikao Usui (see above)

i.e., that their records did not indicate that Niijima Jou ever attended the establishment.

And the reason for this?

In the US, Niijima Jou, had adopted the name Joseph Hardy Neesima. (Jou became Joe became Joseph, Niijima became Neesima, and as to the middle name, Hardy, this was the surname of the people who sponsored his stay in the US)

And in taking a westernised name, Niijima Jou / Joseph Hardy Neesima could perhaps be seen to have set a precedent.
    For, over the years it became a not too uncommon practice amongst Japanese students travelling to western countries to adopt western names (or at very least, westernised versions of their original Japanese names) [9]

[Which begs the question: Could it be that when Usui-sensei went to the US [10] he had also adopted this practice?[11] ]

For some, like Neesima, the westernised name was a baptismal one[12] - an outward sign of the individual's Christian faith[13], for others, taking a western name was simply part of their immersion in western culture, part of their desire to 'fit in'.

On returning home, some kept their western names (a statement of their westernisation/modernisation), some did not.

Niijima Jou, on returning to Japan in 1874, retained the westernised name Joseph Hardy Neesima.

In 1875, he opened his own Eigakko (Academy) in Kyoto.

Initially having only eight students, Neesima's academy steadily grew into an important centre for education, and by 1920, had evolved into a full-blown, private Daigaku (University) - yet it still bore its original name: Doshisha."

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Yes, that is the story that I was referring to when I mentioned that when Usui went to America to study, he may well have changed his name, which makes it difficiult to find a record of him being there.
    Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 am

I usually refer to James Deacon's site
    for historical Reiki info. I direct my
    students to his site........

James Deacon does not necessarily endorse the methodology, techniques or ...
    www.aetw.org/james_deacon.html - Cached - Similar

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:20 am

Colin wrote:Yes, that is the story that I was referring to when I mentioned that when Usui went to America to study, he may well have changed his name, which makes it difficiult to find a record of him being there.
    Smile

I am left to think, did he
    legally change his name confused
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:16 am

who james? dunno, haha!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:22 am

Milarepa wrote:who james? dunno, haha!

If not James then Usui confused

Researching history and obtaining recorded
    documents can be time consuming and many dead
    ends occur. At times we end up relying on oral
    recollections handed down through each generation. Arrow
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:36 am

chi_solas wrote:

i thought James, was Usui! scratch
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:56 am

Milarepa wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

i thought James, was Usui! scratch

If that's true, mystery solved. Cool

That would make James the longest
    living spiritual leader lol!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:07 am

lol!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:31 am

Most Reiki teachers seem to convey a quick
    standard version.Depending on what style
    of Reiki you are initiated into there may
    be long detailed versions or short versions
    with a time line............... Neutral

Mikao Usui was born on August 15th 1865.
    In 1920 Dr Usui's 21 day meditation on
    Mount Kurama brought about an enlightened
    experience for him that helped him create
    a self-healing system that we know as Reiki.
    Usui spent years traveling Japan not only
    giving healings, but teaching and traveling.study

DR. Usui initiated/passed his natural healing
    experience onto Chujiro Hayashi (1878 - 1940)
    who initiated Hawayo Takata (1900 - 1980) who
    initiated twenty-two teachers. Reiki began to
    spread rapidly in the West and East and is now
    practiced throughout all parts of the world.
    There are now tens of thousands of Reiki Masters
    and millions of people practicing Reiki throughout
    the world. Arrow

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:10 am