Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki?

thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki? Empty What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki?

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:21 am

Hi Everybody,

I hear the word 'Surrendering' used in Reiki.
    What does it really mean?
    Where do I Start?

What are all the things I can follow that will assist me with that concept?

Thank You!

THC
    Thaak
    Thaak

What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki? Empty Re: What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki?

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:35 am

For me, it entailed me reaching a crisis point in my mental/psychological and spiritual life. I've dealt with depression (unmedicated and not diagnosed) in the past, and had other issues.

The crisis point wasn't particularly dangerous. But allowing myself to trust that I don't need all the information now (I have in the past tended to be a bit impatient), and that I am on the right path, and everything is ok, has allowed me to simply live in the moment more than I have in the past.

I described the Dancing with the Jaguar journey I took, and that was a very poignant moment in my life.

Another entailed (and I might have posted this already, I don’t remember) coming off my shamanic workshop last October. I was told by my Shaman that I was approaching things with my mind too much, and not my heart. I was trying to intellectualize things too much. I came back and I was lost and upset and didn’t know where to go. It was a huge crisis moment for me, and this was after 3 years of training with her and training in hands-on energy work. Tuesday after the workshop, before I went to bed, I screamed as loud as I could in my head (not out loud) that I was lost, I didn’t know what to do, and to help. And then I just sat there.

Not 10 minutes later my anxiety, fear, and the feeling of being lost calmed down significantly, and I got the message (don’t know if it was a voice or just a knowing—definitely not audible though) to wake up in the morning with the intent to approach my day with an open heart, and go to bed every night with the intent to dream with an open heart. I asked if it was that easy. I got a resounding loud YES in my head.

That has helped tons.

So surrender can be a long drawn out process where you eventually arrive at that conclusion and action. Or surrender can be a conscious decision in a moment of despair as I described above. I’ve experienced both within the last 3 years.

Surrender is the most self-empowering thing one can do.

There are exercises one can do to help reach that point. Things like writing down all your fears, attachments, prejudices, titles, teachers, etc. that have affected your life both positively and negatively. Then creating a little ceremony where you release these items from your life and throw the list into a fire you have built for just this purpose. And do this with the intent that you are surrendering yourself to the will of the universe. Then the universe becomes your playground.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki? Empty Re: What role does 'Surrendering' play in Reiki?

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:45 am

Andy,

I am touched by your response! Cool Sad

Thank You for sharing!

You have answers for everything! Smile I can't even recognise where I am resisting and when and if I am surrendering,.. not even for a handful of examples!! Smile

One order of Brain Soak salts Please!

I am going to see if I can recognise anything and will post soon..
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:51 am

Thanks Andy sharing your personal experiences helps me put my finger on issues that sometimes has no name... If I try it and it works then I accept it ...learning to open up your heart is a great lesson to pass on to others.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:55 am

I would simply say to stop looking for where you are resisting. Part of surrendering is ceasing all action. Just accept that you are resisting somewhere, and that you can surrender through simple intent.

Now please don’t take this next part the wrong way. There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with being curious and asking questions. Being Voracious even. I personally know the drive to know. To have the information laid out before me so that I know where to go and what to do, how to do it, and why I’d do it that way.

But part of surrender is trusting that you don’t need to know. That you know all that is necessary, and when you need information it will be there for you in the moment you need it. Surrendering is Trusting.

Now please don’t let this stop you from asking questions. Its healthy to ask questions if you don’t know something and are curious or unsure of yourself.

But when the overwhelming drive to have answers dies down because you realize that you will know when its appropriate. That’s when you know that you have finally started to surrender.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:08 am

I am stunned again b'cos this is what I have been thinking too....

I , 100% agree,

Excuse me, while I go bawl!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:11 am

Andy,

I used to get the above thoughts and then I'll let it go....I never made the connection.......

I can't write anymore,

Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:17 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:I am stunned again b'cos this is what I have been thinking too....

I , 100% agree,

Excuse me, while I go bawl!

Hug
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 am

Hug

Oh, Thank You,

((Hugs)) back at you! Smile

Isn't forgiving also part of surrendering?
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:53 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:
    Hug

Oh, Thank You,

((Hugs)) back at you! Smile

Isn't forgiving also part of surrendering?

Yes, probably one of the most important parts. But rather than actively "trying" to forgive. Just intend that forgiveness be there, and it will. You may frequently have moments where bad thoughts about instances that required forgiveness will happen. Just be aware of the bad thoughts, but don’t be yourself up over them. Just process them, enjoy them, and let them move on. Part of forgiveness is allowing yourself to have emotions about things.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:01 am

But rather than actively "trying" to forgive. Just intend that forgiveness be there, and it will.

This is where my troubles kick in, Smile
    I am unable to do that...I tried, I can't..

.. but don’t be yourself up over them. Just process them, enjoy them, and let them move on. Part of forgiveness is allowing yourself to have emotions about things....

Isn't there a notion that we can't move on unless we are able to forgive? Only Forgiving can facilitate healing, therefore if I don't heal, I can't move on...
    I can't teach, I can't do nothing...?

??
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:15 am

But rather than actively "trying" to forgive. Just intend that forgiveness be there, and it will.

.. but don’t be yourself up over them. Just process them, enjoy them, and let them move on. Part of forgiveness is allowing yourself to have emotions about things....

Isn't there a notion that we can't move on unless we are able to forgive? Only Forgiving can facilitate healing, therefore if I don't heal, I can't move on...

??

Here is a moment of resistance for you.

A wise master once said, “Hmmph! No try, do, or do not!” Who can name that master? (CLUE TO ANSWER BELOW)

To forgive someone else, you must first forget yourself the transgression of having had bad feelings towards someone else. You have to truly WANT to forgive. By consciously announcing that you want to forgive, and simply being aware of every moment where that forgiveness lapses (without beating yourself up once again for not being in a forgiving state of mind), the forgiveness of the others naturally follows. Being aware of the moments you lapse is just like, oh hey, that’s not very forgiving of me, and then release the feeling and move on. Now this all sounds easier than it is. And there will be some things you can’t let go of right away. The key is:

BE AWARE

Be aware of when you have the bad thoughts. Explore those bad thoughts with an objective mind. Don’t judge yourself. Don’t judge the feeling. Don’t judge the other person. Just be aware of the feeling and explore it.

Simple awareness really does work. Sounds too simple. But it works!

CLUE: Just call me the Herald of Muppet Wisdom
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:46 am

Here is a moment of resistance for you.

A wise master once said, “Hmmph! No try, do, or do not!” Who can name that master?

Very Happy , yeah, the bad Yoda!

To forgive someone else, you must first forget yourself the transgression of having had bad feelings towards someone else. You have to truly WANT to forgive. Now this all sounds easier than it is. And there will be some things you can’t let go of right away. The key is:

BE AWARE

I have been in this stage for a few months now. I am intensely aware and have now 'accepted' the fact that the process need to begin.

Be aware of when you have the bad thoughts. Explore those bad thoughts with an objective mind. Don’t judge yourself. Don’t judge the feeling. Don’t judge the other person. Just be aware of the feeling and explore it.

Simple awareness really does work. Sounds too simple. But it works
    !

I am keeping this in mind,
    Basketball
    Thank You for breaking down the process for me, You often are told 'what' to do but 'the process' is never usually explained!

sunny
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:44 am

Learning to embrace forgiveness heals the hurt you feel. When you let go of your resentment that will lead to understanding,empathy & compassion for the one who hurt you. You can forgive the person without excusing the hurtful act. Forgiveness has many health benefits from lower blood pressure to improved psychological well being.
    sunny
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:00 pm

??

One of the things that helped me was sending Reiki to situations in my past. After being attuned to Level 2 especially, I started to get flashbacks - memories of things, sometimes minor little things - from my childhood. I devised my own form of words, which went something like "I accept and send Reiki to that little girl". This all seemed to help. The intention was not to do anything except accept and send Reiki. That's why we have Reiki IMO - actually "doing" forgiveness is not the point. If we are Reiki people we have Reiki to send to past, present and future - "no past, no present, no future" or "all time is now". Sound familiar?
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:58 am

Pandora, it sounds like you've got a handle on the situation sunny
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:59 am

When you let go of your resentment that will lead to understanding,empathy & compassion for the one who hurt you. You can forgive the person without excusing the hurtful act. Forgiveness has many health benefits from lower blood pressure to improved psychological well being.

empathy & compassion for the one who hurt you?? Evil or Very Mad

That's a very tough one,
    tongue
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 am

I do want to say Wayne & Andy, You guys are cool!
    cheers

- for being able to talk about tender feelings on the net. If Wayne had not started it I would never have had the guts to do it.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:18 am

Chris and Bridget,

I agree with your outlook and advice and will definitely be suitable for a lot of situations,
    but in my case it is not one of those easier ones.. Neutral

Thanks , I appreciate your advice, I would definitely use them in my other situations!!! Smile
    I love you

flower
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:55 am

When you let go of your resentment that will lead to understanding,empathy & compassion for the one who hurt you. You can forgive the person without excusing the hurtful act. Forgiveness has many health benefits from lower blood pressure to improved psychological well being.

That's a very tough one,
    tongue

THC. It is a tough one. I would never suggest something that I have not experienced myself. It does not happen overnight there are exercises you can do to release the hurt feelings that you hang onto. I'm not talking about easy ones either. When you let them go you'll be surprized.
    cheers
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 am

THC. It is a tough one. I would never suggest something that I have not experienced myself. It does not happen overnight there are exercises you can do to release the hurt feelings that you hang onto. I'm not talking about easy ones either. When you let them go you'll be surprized.
    cheers

Hi Bridget,

REALLY? bounce I love you
    What kind of exercises?

XXX
    THC
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:09 pm

cheers

Hi Bridget,

REALLY? bounce I love you
    What kind of exercises?

XXX
    THC

THC, I know that issues can be to sensitive
    to put out here on a public forum. Lets start
    with one that can be adapted to most situations.

Using your own words........we need to forgive
    ourselves, when we are angry with ourselves
    for making poor choices.We can be our own harshest
    critic/ judge. “if only… . I should have…” The past
    is the past and hanging on to it, is to much baggage
    to carry around.

Write a letter to yourself.

Dear THC,

I forgive myself for..........
    I understand that mistakes are not failures
    if we learn from them. .......I am learning
    everyday as a result of this experience.....
    I release being critical & judging myself so
    that I may continue to go forward into my future
    without this baggage from my past.

Love, THC

You can then burn the letter as a symbol of releasing/letting go.

You can also journal .......
    I hold on to my baggage because:
    I have believed if I let go of my baggage it will mean:
    if I let go of my baggage it will help me in the following ways:
    I now choose to let go of my baggage:

I have taken folks through visualization to help them release their baggage.
    sunny
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:23 pm

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:I do want to say Wayne & Andy, You guys are cool!
    cheers

- for being able to talk about tender feelings on the net. If Wayne had not started it I would never have had the guts to do it.

You are very welcome.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:25 pm

That's a very tough one,
    tongue

One way to put this that has made a ton of sense to me is this:

If someone (or you) does something that negatively affects another person, and that other person responds with or harbors negative feelings, then it just exacerbates the situation.

The old adage of "two wrongs don't make a right" comes to mind here.

But, and even if it is hard, if you can say in the face of adversity, "You have hurt me, but I love you anyways." That will go a LONG way to changing the nature of the engagement.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:55 am

Lets start
    with one that can be adapted to most situations.

Using your own words........we need to forgive
    ourselves, when we are angry with ourselves
    for making poor choices.We can be our own harshest
    critic/ judge. “if only… . I should have…” The past
    is the past and hanging on to it, is to much baggage
    to carry around.

This is not the scenario in my case though!

You can also journal .......
    I hold on to my baggage because:
    I have believed if I let go of my baggage it will mean:
    if I let go of my baggage it will help me in the following ways:
    I now choose to let go of my baggage:

I have taken folks through visualization to help them release their baggage.
    sunny

I WILL most definitely use this one, most appropriate for me, for now, for what I am looking at!
    cheers

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 pm