Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

5 posters

Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata?

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata? Empty Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata?

Post by Colin Mon May 09, 2011 5:42 am

Hi All

I just received this from a facebook friend who thought I might be interested. She had seen it as a Note on someone's Profile. It is apparently sourced from Kathleen Milner but it is a bit out-there even by her standards! affraid

I am away for a few days so I don't have time to really go to town and dissect all the untruths and misunderstandings but I thought I would post it here so people can see what some people (Reiki practitioners at that!) are saying:

DR. USUI & TAKATA

Was it Takata who gave the world Reiki? Because there is absolutely no evidence that a man or a monk named Dr. Usui ever existed.

1. The University of Chicago, where Usui was supposed to have graduated from, has no record of anyone with that name or any similar name even attending.

2. The Buddhist temple, where Usui was supposed to have been a monk, has no record of anyone with that name or any similar name even visiting.

3. The tombstone honoring Dr. Usui suggests that a half million Japanese people were initiated into Reiki. However, the tombstone is modern. It is laser cut. In addition to that, land in Japan is expensive. How would a Tibetan monk afford a large, elaborate tombstone? And would a Tibetan monk do such a thing?

Unlike China, where spiritualism is closed and guarded, Japan is open and eclectic.

1. If what has been said about Dr. Usui was true, Dr. Usui would have become legendary. There would be many legends about him and his followers. There would be stories written about Dr. Usui and his students in books. There are NONE.

2. If what has been said about Dr. Usui was true, Reiki would be practiced today in both Shinto and Buddhist temples. It is NOT.

3. If there were healers, whose lineages dated back to Usui through someone other than Takata, and they were alive in 20th or 21st century Japan, they would NOT be a secret.

4. The symbols used in Reiki fit into the Japanese text. However, HON SHA ZA SHO NENE is Mandarin Chinese. In addition, there is no letter "R" sound in the Japanese language. And would a Japanese Tibetan monk name a healing system, Usui Shiki Ryoho, after himself?

Takata was a Japanese-American woman and a practicing Buddhist after World War II.

1. There is no question that Takata was able to facilitate healings. A documented, witnessed story of Takata's raising a woman from the dead is included in Hawayo Takata's Story ISBN 0-944135-06-04, written by Helen J. Haberly, and published by Archedigm Publications.

2. DID TAKATA INVENT DR. USUI SO THAT HEALING WOULD GET INTO THE WORLD? What if Takata went to Japan prior to World War II and came across a Buddhist monastery where a minor initiation began the process of opening her to her own healing channels and connection to Source? Did Takata receive the initiations that she passed on in a consciousness-raising experience? She would have also realized that at that time, Americans would not accept Reiki if they knew it came from a woman or a Buddhist.

3. USUI SHIKI RYOHO, appeared at the top of all of the Alliance Reiki certificates. Takata's original, or Alliance, Reiki Masters referred to themselves as Usui Reiki Masters. To complicate matters further, Takata never trademarked any part of the phrase or even the word, Reiki. So, many people made up initiations and named them Usui Reiki, or gave them other names.

There are people who ignore these facts and at the same time, turn Reiki and healing into a headtrip. If you want to know the Truth, look to see where real healings are happening.

Sourced from Kathleen Milner Founder of Tera Mai Reiki.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata? Empty Re: Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata?

Post by LightBody Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 am

Well, as you mention it is a bit dated as far as discussions are concerned.

What troubles me is that I see so many Reiki practitioners leaping over the fence to greener pastures (trying to validate Usui, trying to figure out who he got what from, and so on and so on), rather than cultivating their own land.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata? Empty Re: Is Mikao Usui an invention of Hawayo Takata?

Post by Rlei_ki Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 pm

Buck wrote:What troubles me is that I see so many Reiki practitioners leaping over the fence to greener pastures (trying to validate Usui, trying to figure out who he got what from, and so on and so on), rather than cultivating their own land.

What troubles me is that so many folks end up leaping over the fence out of sheer desperation.

Many have indeed cultivated their own land - they have tilled the soil, planted and watered the seed - only to find that in so many cases, the seed they had received was not what they had contracted to purchase - and so, after patiently and diligently nurturing what had been planted, they became disheartened when, instead of the expected crop of 'wheat and barley' (or meadow of lush green grass), all they ended up with was a field of weeds...

The grass is not always greener over the fence, but when it is, the wise look to what they are doing wrong, and if there is nothing remiss, they must necessarily look to the quality and nature of the seed they have acquired - and maybe try to find a better source ...
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue May 17, 2011 1:16 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Buck wrote:What troubles me is that I see so many Reiki practitioners leaping over the fence to greener pastures (trying to validate Usui, trying to figure out who he got what from, and so on and so on), rather than cultivating their own land.

What troubles me is that so many folks end up leaping over the fence out of sheer desperation.

Many have indeed cultivated their own land - they have tilled the soil, planted and watered the seed - only to find that in so many cases, the seed they had received was not what they had contracted to purchase - and so, after patiently and diligently nurturing what had been planted, they became disheartened when, instead of the expected crop of 'wheat and barley' (or meadow of lush green grass), all they ended up with was a field of weeds...

The grass is not always greener over the fence, but when it is, the wise look to what they are doing wrong, and if there is nothing remiss, they must necessarily look to the quality and nature of the seed they have acquired - and maybe try to find a better source ...

Thats a wise response! Cool
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue May 17, 2011 4:52 am

Rlei_ki wrote:...The grass is not always greener over the fence, but when it is, the wise look to what they are doing wrong, and if there is nothing remiss, they must necessarily look to the quality and nature of the seed they have acquired - and maybe try to find a better source ...

Like Dogen.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue May 17, 2011 5:12 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

I seem to remember you telling me something along those lines, what, 3 or 4 years, and quite a small fortune (to me) ago. From experience, you're quite right.

Re: the topic. Much as i'd love to exalt Takata even further in my mind, how shall i put it, i'll try my usual diplomatic way - the author of that piece has made some very wonky assumptions.

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Tue May 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    I seem to remember you telling me something along those lines, what, 3 or 4 years, and quite a small fortune (to me) ago. From experience, you're quite right.

Wayne, I think just in case anyone is wondering, it should be made clear that the "small fortune" you mention was NOT paid to me! Laughing

Milarepa wrote:
    Re: the topic.... the author of that piece has made some very wonky assumptions.

Indeed. Though "Aunty Kathleen" also raises a couple of interesting points...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 2:05 am