Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

5 posters

Usui Shiki Ryoho Trademarked!?

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Usui Shiki Ryoho Trademarked!? Empty Usui Shiki Ryoho Trademarked!?

Post by Colin Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Hi All

As part of a discussion I was having elsewhere, I heard that the phrase "Usui Shiki Ryoho" has now been successfully trademarked!

I know that Phyllis Furumoto made a failed attempt at something similar a few years ago but now it looks as though she may have succeeded. Have a look at her new website:

http://www.usuishikiryohoreiki.com/

You can see the TM after the phrase in the banner at the top of her page.

I don't know how far-reaching this trademark is internationally but presumably this means that certain Reiki teachers will have to be very careful what they call the style of Reiki that they teach!
    Shocked
    Silverbolt
    Silverbolt
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Usui Shiki Ryoho Trademarked!? Empty Re: Usui Shiki Ryoho Trademarked!?

Post by Silverbolt Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:52 pm

Are there more reiki styles than Usui Shiki Ryoho?
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:47 am

Yes, there are now over 100 different Reiki styles, most of which can trace their origin back to the founder of Usui Reiki Ryoho, although many have evolved considerably from the original style because of teachers adding in various beliefs and techniques that were not taught originally.

None appear to be more effective than any other but it does mean that if you have a particular affinity to dolphins, angels, crystals, extraterrestrials, Atlantis, Lemuria,, Runes, Celtic Mythology, Buddhism, Kabbalah etc. then you can probably find a style of Reiki that includes it! Or you can find a style that is close (but not necessarily identical) to what was originally taught in Japan or when it was first introduced to the West by Mrs Takata (not easy because some of her students already began to add things when they started to teach!) Smile
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:41 am

Remember William Rand was the hero of the day several years ago (or was that before your time?). Rand promoted the movement against Phyllis's first attempt to trademark the word "Reiki."

The Trademark office did not do their research. This can be disputed by practitioners who are using the title writing to the office, including a copy of their certificate containing the title, and placing a formal letter of complaint.

Usui Shiki Ryoho has been in widespread use by too many others for her company to trademark the title.

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:48 am

If it's a US Trademark, it can be searched here:

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4001:gisecp.1.1

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:03 am

Thanks, Buck. Yes I remember the earlier attempt but I can't find anything when I search for Usui Shiki Ryoho from that link. Maybe it is the artwork on her page that is trademarked? I notice that there is no tm after Usui Shiki Ryoho where it appears in the main text of her webpages.

So this is probably a false alarm. Embarassed
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:23 am

Well, Usui Shiki Ryoho is a term that is been in widespread use on the internet as long as I've been involved in Reiki (1993). My earliest Reiki certificates contain the printed term "Usui Shiki Ryoho."

The term Usui Shiki Ryoho should not be able to be trademarked on account of that usage.

This affects the rights of many others who have freely used the term for ages.

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:13 am

i havn't looked at it. i guess she might have an arguable case by virtue of where the term 'Usui Shiki Ryoho' came from. Itd be stronger than a case for 'Reiki'. Such an generic term anyhow. Was never going to succeed.

It could be like colin says via art. If she's got some specific image maybe. Yet, it'll depend on the words 'Usui Shiki Ryoho' also. If the artwork is witihn some sign or banner with those words, and yet they feel they cant trademark the words to prevent confusion they'd maybe not go ahead with the TM. perhaps asking the words changed. It cant give the assumption the words are trademarked if they are not. It leads to false advertising.

Oh, just looked at the page. if it's personal caligraphy this may be possible. though i stil stand by my above paragraph. something in my mind is saying this.

anyhow, i'm sure they know what they're doing. Long in the tooth and all that. Out of curiosity, i might drop an email tomorrow and ask. thanks for highlighting this colin.

and oh... Colin. Are you moonlighting as an Usui Shiki Ryoho teacher? Or coming back to the dark side...

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Interesting. Smile

Of course, there is one way to clarify the situation:

write to the OGM and ask.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 am

The People (Reiki practitioners of all systems and levels anywhere in the world) can provide a NOTICE OF OPPOSITION to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office on account of widespread CONCURRENT USE.

Last edited by Buck on Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:03 am

will do Buck. I just ate loadsa pasta, roasted vegetables & tomato sauce. So me & the kids are goin for a cuddle on top of bed. Will send the email in an hour or so.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:11 am

I have used the contact form on their website to ask about the TM. I will keep you up to date if I get a response.
    Smile
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:21 am

Wow! I have already received a reply from Phyllis herself!

Dear Colin,

The trademark, as with many of them these days, is about the style and way of writing Usui Shiki Ryoho in combination with the logo.  

Usui Shiki Ryoho is a common Japanese phrase and of itself, is not able to be trademarked.  This was a ruling in Germany and the UK and in the United States some years ago....because it is a simple description of the practice.   If we were to use it to identify a computer printer...then the phrase could be trademarked.  Interesting?  

To trademark a practice is difficult and usually not enforceable.  

As for as comparing the many variations of the practice using Usui Shiki Ryoho..this is only interesting, I believe, if it pertains to your own practice.  Most of the time, the question about lineage is another way to narrow down the practice form.  If they recognize the spiritual lineage of Mikao Usui, Chujiro Hayashi, Hawayo Takata, and Phyllis Furumoto, this is one step closer to the system I teach.  After this....you end up comparing practice, which is delicate and not necessary unless you have a personal motivation.  

Wondering what is motivating your questions....

trusting this answers your questions....

Phyllis Furumoto
    interesting...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:55 am

Thanks Colin. I ended up sleeping a little with the kids, hehe.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:01 pm

Phyllis has certainly been through the grinding mill over the years, perhaps more than a few times.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:06 am