Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Pandora
Bruce
6 posters

martial arts and healing arts

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

martial arts and healing arts - Page 2 Empty Re: martial arts and healing arts

Post by Milarepa Mon May 25, 2009 11:52 pm

How about looking at it from the opposite angle? In, how has Reiki helped a person's martial art?

check out :- http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Reiki-Tummo-Improved-my-Martial-Arts .

For an interesting viewpoint.

And after all, what's the ultimate goal of martial arts?

"The ultimate goal of studying the arts of war is not to harm but rather to heal, enhance, and preserve life "
    ~ From 'Way Of The Warrior ', Chris Crudelli

Sounds similar to something else..
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Tue May 26, 2009 2:51 am

Milarepa wrote:How about looking at it from the opposite angle? In, how has Reiki helped a person's martial art?

check out :- http://hubpages.com/hub/How-Reiki-Tummo-Improved-my-Martial-Arts .

For an interesting viewpoint.

Nice article, but . . . . The author talked about Empowerment v. Enlightenment, with Empowerment being ego-based and Enlightenment meaning relinquishing ego. There's as much ego in the healing arts as there is in the martial arts.

On the other hand, he mentions conflict dissipating around him in his job as a bouncer, after he became involved in reiki tummo. Robert W. Smith's baguazhang (pa kua chang) teacher Paul Kuo mentioned the same sort of thing from martial training, saying he felt that "the boxing spoke through him" and dispersed near-riot situations in his job as a police officer. (See Smith's classic book, Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods.)

So far as I know, aikido is the martial art that most explicitly talks about extending ki. Any aikidoka out there able to address whether reiki or similar practices have helped?

After I was introduced to energy healing, I began to believe (but can't prove) that the striking methods of the internal martial arts were shaped with the idea of projecting energy. I especially notice it in xingyiquan (hsing-i ch'uan). (An external type of strike feels like a stronger version of a hard push, and often leaves a bruise on the surface. An internal type of strike generally doesn't bruise the surface, but the recipient feels as if something is exploding deeper inside his body.)

And one of my taijiquan students, who is a gifted healer, introduces her own taijiquan students to the push-hands exercises of taijiquan by having them feel her sending qi into them. She says it's worked well. And she's moved them off-balance just by sending qi into them through a light touch while keeping her hand still. (FWIW, I had her try it out on me, but it didn't work -- I noticed that I was automatically sinking my qi into my root to compensate. But I think it's still a good intro for students, so that they understand it's not about muscling their way through.)

On the flip side, one of my taijiquan-and-qigong teachers, when asked about qi in fighting, said there's "an evil qigong" that involves drawing qi out of the opponent. I didn't know what to make of that, until experiencing something similar some years later. But flipping it again, that sort of ability is useful when treating conditions of congested energy.

And after all, what's the ultimate goal of martial arts?

"The ultimate goal of studying the arts of war is not to harm but rather to heal, enhance, and preserve life "
    ~ From 'Way Of The Warrior ', Chris Crudelli

Sounds similar to something else..

Some of Crudelli's episodes are pretty silly, but I agree with that quote, at least as applied to the state of the martial arts after firearms became prevalent.

Bruce
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue May 26, 2009 3:07 am

Bruce wrote:

So far as I know, aikido is the martial art that most explicitly talks about extending ki. Any aikidoka out there able to address whether reiki or similar practices have helped?

Buck might be able to help with this, he does Aikido.

Bruce wrote:
    On the flip side, one of my taijiquan-and-qigong teachers, when asked about qi in fighting, said there's "an evil qigong" that involves drawing qi out of the opponent. I didn't know what to make of that, until experiencing something similar some years later. But flipping it again, that sort of ability is useful when treating conditions of congested energy.

I can semi-apprecaite this. I'd some non-martial art 'training' with a person who's quite high in various Japanese martial arts. We got side tracked, an he told me of something, very simple, that can be done with the eyes, to 'weaken' another person. I saw him actually do this to a person whom was having a disagreemnt with him. ANd, whilst i was having a disagrement myself with him, i saw him doing the same with me. Both times, it took the wind outta our sails. In fact with me, the suddent change within myself, was quite amazing. From fighting my own corner, and being very confident, i suddenely became quite 'malleable'. Apparently this guy has also showed this technique in various courses, as i've researched him & it on the internet.

Not sure if this is exactly the kinda thing you're talking about, but it sure as heck worked on me & others.

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue May 26, 2009 4:11 am

Bruce wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:Sorry Bruce if I strayed flower

Sorry if I sounded grumpy. In my experience of being around judges, the sort of discursive analysis that they do just doesn't develop energy access. Writing lots of judicial opinions -- and I wrote quite a few of 'em in the times that I worked as a judicial clerk -- doesn't enhance healing ability. If anything, it distracts from the flow of healing energy. Commenting on what someone else observed, I don't know why some forms of dance, but not others, would help to develop energy access.

Bruce

Judges? Another great spiritual teacher (and Reiki practitioner?) said "Judge not that ye be not judged". Every day I prove the truth of this.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Tue May 26, 2009 4:43 am

Pandora wrote:
    Bruce wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:Sorry Bruce if I strayed flower

Sorry if I sounded grumpy. In my experience of being around judges, the sort of discursive analysis that they do just doesn't develop energy access. Writing lots of judicial opinions -- and I wrote quite a few of 'em in the times that I worked as a judicial clerk -- doesn't enhance healing ability. If anything, it distracts from the flow of healing energy. Commenting on what someone else observed, I don't know why some forms of dance, but not others, would help to develop energy access.

Bruce

Judges? Another great spiritual teacher (and Reiki practitioner?) said "Judge not that ye be not judged". Every day I prove the truth of this.

And yet there's the biblical book of Judges. And the story of the Last Judgment. Hey, do you think that the courts should be dismantled? That would go a ways toward not judging, eh?

I'll start a new topic about the courts, to clear this sort of thing out from the current discussion thread.

Bruce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 pm