Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Milarepa
chi_solas
Colin
Pandora
8 posters

New start tomorrow!

Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

New start tomorrow! Empty New start tomorrow!

Post by Pandora Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:52 pm

I'm really looking forwards to tomorrow. I've got an induction day at my local hospice, where they have a team of complementary therapists. Most of us are volunteers but there's a couple of paid members of staff.

We are seen as the equals of the medically trained people and we all work as a team.

Therapists offer Reiki, crystal healing, reflexology and aromatherapy. I'm trained in all these so I hope to be in demand! There's also a team of spiritual healers, but they're all NFSH trained (and a bit exclusivist if I'm honest!).

It's not just those at the end of their lives I shall be working with. Therapies are offered to volunteers, staff, and carers as well as in-patients and day care patients. However, I've asked not to work with in-patients at the moment. I'm a touch squeamish, and also more than a little clumsy, and I have visions of that infamous scene in Airplane with a nun, a guitar and someone hooked up to a machine... What a Face

I've offered one day a week at the moment, but due to my personal circumstances they've asked if I can do on-call too. I'm amazed that they've asked me to do that, as I've not even started there yet!

They look after each other there too. I've already been offered two pamper parties, at which I can charge for my services. I can promote my practice if I like (and if I'd got a room at the moment I'd do that!), and I can book myself in for a treatment at anytime. They offer counselling if needed - obviously, because it's not yer average environment, their staff need that level of support. Training on other therapies is available, and there's a library I can access, and also a support group.

Reiki is very popular, apparently. However, the bodywork therapies are also popular, it's just that they don't get the volunteer therapists to do those, so I can see myself majoring on those at the moment.

I'd encourage people to volunteer, but I'm aware not every hospice has this facility. I'm very lucky to live where I do - and so are the people of Warwickshire!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

New start tomorrow! Empty Re: New start tomorrow!

Post by Colin Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:21 pm

That is great, Chris...it sounds like a wonderful opportunity for all concerned! Very Happy

Good luck...I am sure it will all go well!

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:04 am

Hospice can be rewarding. Knowing that you
    can help someone come to peace and accept
    their death. I've not worked at hospice but
    I have worked with dying cancer patients at
    the hospital.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:11 am

Topic moved to relvant section.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:02 pm

best wishes with this service pandora.....I struggled a little to get Reiki into a care home a couple of years back, but once there it was the most rewarding thing i had done.....

so many people offer these services voluntary.......hopefully one day it will be the norm to have a reiki practitioner alongside a physiotherapist in these homes and hospices....... Cool
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:31 am

Hi Pandora.

I think the path you are taking, that of providing Reiki through Hospice, is wonderful. If your experiences are anything like mine, being present with Reiki during one's dying process will be among the more transformative experiences in your life--at least they were in mine.

Shortly after I became a Certified Massage Therapist & Reiki Master in 1993 I began to volunteer both services through Hospice. Sharing Reiki hands-on while a patient died was truly an amazing experience that resulted in many personal transformations for myself. Sharing Distance Reiki to those while they transitioned proved to be equally transformative.

On a much more practical side, the communication training provided to Hospice volunteers (and staff) is among the most valuable skill any Reiki practitioner can possess.

I no longer volunteer through Hospice, but wanted you to know that I hold a tremendous amount of respect for you.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:12 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:best wishes with this service pandora.....I struggled a little to get Reiki into a care home a couple of years back, but once there it was the most rewarding thing i had done.....

so many people offer these services voluntary.......hopefully one day it will be the norm to have a reiki practitioner alongside a physiotherapist in these homes and hospices....... Cool

It is happening here. A hospital in Maine has
    hired Reiki Practitioners. Nursing homes are
    still looking for freebees as are many who seek
    Reiki services.Brigham & Womens hospital in
    Boston will train volunteers & attune folks to
    Reiki 11 Expenses for classes paid for by the
    Hospital. Its a pilot program.

Hospice is a wonderful program and folks who volunteer
    there offer a service that is pricless to all involved sunny
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:32 am

stephenbuck415 wrote:If your experiences are anything like mine, being present with Reiki during one's dying process will be among the more transformative experiences in your life--at least they were in mine.

I second that. When my father died, it was with my hands on his chest and shoulder. I also tracked his energy after that, and the experience was wonderful (in at least a couple of senses of the word.)

Bruce
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:42 am

Wow! Thanks for all your replies and good wishes.

My day at the hospice will be Fridays and I start as a general volunteer this coming Friday. This is so I can observe life in the hospice at first hand and get to know some of the staff.

I've also been asked to be the first therapist at the new drop-in treatment service opening at the brand new hospice centre close to where I live, on the same site as where my husband works, which is where I wanted to be anyway! I'm amazed they have such faith in me! That opens its doors on the 16th November, the the first drop-in session that Friday.

They've had a bit of a juggle too regarding the spiritual healers. The powers that be have reclassified all such therapies as "energy therapies", and they will be promoted as such. It will then be up to the individual therapist, in consultation with the patient, as to which energy therapy they offer (or a combination such as Reiki and crystals). I reckon that's progress.

I'm so looking forwards to Friday!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 am

Pandora wrote:

They've had a bit of a juggle too regarding the spiritual healers. The powers that be have reclassified all such therapies as "energy therapies", and they will be promoted as such.

Bridget & I had a semi-private chat today bout the classification of 'healers'. any idea why it was reclassified?
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    Pandora wrote:

They've had a bit of a juggle too regarding the spiritual healers. The powers that be have reclassified all such therapies as "energy therapies", and they will be promoted as such.

Bridget & I had a semi-private chat today bout the classification of 'healers'. any idea why it was reclassified?

Yes. People weren't very happy with being offered "spiritual healing" or "Reiki", it wasn't within their comfort zone. (You have to remember we are generally talking over-65's here.) The phrase "energy therapy" seemed to be more attractive to people: it doesn't carry the baggage that "spiritual healing" has, and it's an English phrase as opposed to Japanese. Plus the fact that people who are at a low ebb may think they need more energy! Whatever, takeup has increased since the rebranding.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:28 pm

Really interesting this! I'd assumed that the older one gets, the more spiritual they may be inclined to be.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:04 pm

I know plenty of people who have 'lost their faith' as they have aged.....

and your last post makes perfect sense Pandora....so many people are afraid of the connotations to the word 'spiritual'... some people understand the concept of accupuncture and the increase in energy flow around the body this can bring.....they feel more comfortable with a similar description of Reiki...

But when I offer Reiki I state that it is spiritual healing...but sometimes use the concept of accupuncture to help them place it within their limited perceptions.....

But as we all know Reiki speaks for itself and after receiving a few sessions people start to understand the deeper work at play..... I love you

and WOW chi solas on your last post..(I tried to quote you earlier but it didn't work)... this is progress! I love you
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:48 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:I know plenty of people who have 'lost their faith' as they have aged.....

as in Religion? Wasn't talking bout that really. I've known plenty of older folks whom tend to look more to the meaning of life, and certainly give the impression of outwardly showing spiritual aspects, even if they wouldn't agree.

Kinda to illustrate, my best friend, (whom actually is member here), doesn't believe in a creator of any kind, would tell you he's not spiritual, yet he's the most spiritual person i know! It's not what 'they say', it's the 'way the are'.

In fact, Robert Atchely author of 'spirituality & ageing' (John Hopkins press) tells us in his 20 years of studying 1,200 over 50's, he found that hi sresearch points to the connection betweern spirituality & time.

He ends with a quote:
    “millions of aging people in America, perhaps a billion or more throughout the world, are aiming to live a more integrated spiritual life, one in which spirituality . . . can flourish as a centerpiece of values and behavior.”

Take care
    Wayne
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:56 pm

when I said faith I meant any kind of spirituality...... we assume the older one gets the wiser one gets and the more one connects to a deper spiritual meaning to life......but that isn't always the case I know quite a few people who have had such difficult cards dealt to them in this 'game of life' and as a result........have come to the conclusion that there is NO god..... and we assume that old people are more accepting of death and ready for the 'crossover' but the truth is many old people are scared to death of dying and have no belief in anykind of afterlife......
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:03 pm

Cant' doubt your personal expereince. I was definitely assuming, though it was based on research others have done, Smile.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:55 am

Milarepa wrote:Bridget & I had a semi-private chat today bout the classification of 'healers'. any idea why it was reclassified?

It could also have something to do with legal issues:

Remember the EU 'Unfair Commercial Practices Directive' which came into force on 26th May 2008?

Schedule 1 of the Directive lists, amongst other practices that are deemed unfair:
    [ Item 17:]
    "Falsely claiming that a product is able to cure illnesses, dysfunction or malformations."

(for 'product' also read 'service')

It can be argued that use of terminology including 'healer' and 'healing' can be seen to imply specific outcome; whereas use of terminology such as 'Energy Therapy' / 'Energy Therapies' does not - these latter simply reference the modality, and can not be seen to guarantee an outcome (i.e 'healing')

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:00 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Bridget & I had a semi-private chat today bout the classification of 'healers'. any idea why it was reclassified?

It could also have something to do with legal issues:

Remember the EU 'Unfair Commercial Practices Directive' which came into force on 26th May 2008?

Schedule 1 of the Directive lists, amongst other practices that are deemed unfair:
    [ Item 17:]
    "Falsely claiming that a product is able to cure illnesses, dysfunction or malformations."

(for 'product' also read 'service')

It can be argued that use of terminology including 'healer' and 'healing' can be seen to imply specific outcome; whereas use of terminology such as 'Energy Therapy' / 'Energy Therapies' does not - these latter simply reference the modality, and can not be seen to guarantee an outcome (i.e 'healing')

As in Hospice are we healing or helping with a transition.
    In Reiki I prefer energy therapy. I would never personally
    claim to be a healer. I facilitate Reiki sessions. sunny
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:04 am

chi_solas wrote:

Bridget, what's the difference between those two states? (I'm asking because I don't see any conflict between them.)

Bruce
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:35 pm

Bruce wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

Bridget, what's the difference between those two states? (I'm asking because I don't see any conflict between them.)

Bruce

Bruce, a person contacted me in
    August long distance, she wanted
    to self heal. She had been given
    2/3 years to live. She was excited
    to embark on her own healing. She
    visited her oncologist to tell him
    she was going to try self healing

I don't know why her DR's did a biopsy
    but during that process she hemmoraged
    and was hospitalized for a week packed
    in ice followed with chemo/radiation.
    She was then placed in Hospice care and
    died within a few weeks.

Her hospice care was a place to relieve
    her pain and help her come to terms with
    her death. They were not trying to cure/heal
    her. They were using sympton control, no false
    hope or resuscitation was part of her care it
    was an end of life care.

I guess you could look at hospice from many
    different angles. Where's there life there's
    hope. I don't think Hospice looks at it that
    way.

What do you think you've had personal experience
    at Hospice are they healing or just helping with
    transition. Its open to interpretation.

scratch
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Hi, Bridget,

Thanks for your response. I think that healing can include the experience of transition (death), so I don't see "healing" and "transition" as opposed to each other. As for the views of hospice workers, they vary. Some are concerned only with pain relief (which is no small thing, notwithstanding the word "only"). Others might take a broader view, even though hospice is formally set up as palliative care.

Bruce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:50 am