Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual)

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual) Empty A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual)

Post by LightBody Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:08 am

I wanted to ask everyone what you know about the book writing process.

If you are not sure how to respond, here are a few questions to stimulate your mind:

Do you know what's involved when an author writes a book?
    Do you know how the author gets their content?
    Do you know the proper way for an author to get their content?
    Do you know the improper way for an author to get their content (James, please give others a chance to respond before you reply to that one... many of us know why but there are a few newbies here who may not have all of the Reiki history in that respect)?

Last edited by Buck on Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : modified title to include "Writing A Reiki Manual".)
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual) Empty Re: A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual)

Post by chi_solas Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:20 pm

First you have to have an idea
    then you start to put together
    your idea from the knowledge you
    have gathered/experienced.Plan
    to make many drafts, re-reading
    what you've written. Hopefully
    get someone or many to read your
    drafts. You do not want to copy
    other peoples ideas. Don't write
    when your tired like I am right now Sleep
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual) Empty Re: A general question about the writing process (or Writing A Reiki Manual)

Post by Colin Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi Buck

No, I don't know much about the book writing process apar from the fact it looks like it would be a huge task to which you have to devote lots of time and patience.

However, I would be pleased to see information about this as I, like probably many others, have an idea in the back of their minds that they would like to write a book - but don't really know where to start!
    Smile
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am

Hi Buck,

While this might not be the answer you are looking for at least it will be..the simplest way to do it. Here it is: You hire a ghost writer and well than you hire somebody to edit it and ….oh..you need a publisher as well ( I assumed you want to publish your book). :-))

On more serious note I do not know much about book writing but e-book would be much simpler (maybe you could start with e-book to test it). Also they have some WSO or whatever they call it so you can publish at Amazon.

I wish I could be more of the help.

Regards,

Resko

Discover How Learning Reiki Can Change Your Life.
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi Bridget, Colin, Resko (and all other Reiki-Readers).

I have a fairly lengthy response that I have posted here:
    http://bit.ly/9u7gqx

It is also posted below:

Formerly in a previous career life I was a full time Certified Massage Therapist . I knew that Reiki was an important part of my life, and with respect to the transformational struggles I went through (described here http://www.reikilearninglounge.com/welcome-new-members-intro-f3/buck-s-intro-t521.htm) and some comments made to me on AHR (alt.healing.reiki) around the year 2002, I decided to rekindle my interest in creative professional writing. During that time, a couple very interesting problems began to emerge in the world of Reiki.

James Deacon and Rick Rivard were among the first to begin publishing their findings about Reiki openly on the internet on their websites (as early as 1996), and William Rand began to publish articles shortly thereafter. Vincent Amador probably was the first who published his Reiki manual on the internet and made it freely available to everyone who could visit the site.

During the late 1990's and into the early 2000's, people did not have an understanding (or respect of) copyright laws and it was largely believed that if someone wrote a sentence on the internet, that sentence could be copied and pasted into a book and claimed as one's own writing. I recall that one author had copied word-for-word some 40(?) pages of original writing by James Deacon and published it as their own in a printed book. Rick Rivard experienced something similar when one of his students gave their username and password to two friends who copied one of Rick's manuals, removed his copyright notices, and distributed it as their own while leaving the images of Rick attuning his wife and Rick's text unaltered. I believe that Vincent altered his manual so that the copyright appeared at the beginning of the text on each page, and at the end of it as well (eventually Vincent stopped putting effort into maintaining that website and it now only exists on archive.org). Plagiarism in that time was at its height in the Reiki world.

The problem of plagiarism has been addressed as best it can by the Reiki community overall, but not without repercussions. I feel that the need to educate everyone in the importance and morals of respecting copyrights has unintentionally stifled the creative writing process of some potential contributors in the forum. My fear is that the concerns of plagiarism may hold a person back from contributing in a forum such as this one.

My rekindled interest in creative professional writing led to classes in English grammar, which eventually led to a college level certification as an editor (for me it was just common sense that if I was going to write professionally, then I should at least be able to write properly, and if I was going to write properly, I may as well have a certificate that says I can write well). Once my grammar was up to speed, I then began to practice and study writing story--and it was in those classes I learned some things that were so new and so obvious that they were completely unexpected.

One of the first things I was taught and encouraged to do in a creative writing class was to join a local writers club. That seemed to make good sense, so I did. Not knowing what to expect, I imagined that a writers club was a group of writers who would talk about writing in such a general way that no one could plagiarize their work. Plagiarism, of course, was a very big concern on the top of my mind. Surprisingly, I discovered that the local writers club was where a group of writers of all levels (newbies and even published authors) would gather together, read an excerpt of their work to the others, and then receive constructive criticism of the piece.

The writers did not simply talk about what they were working on in an abstract, general way, that kept it secret and sacred (much like the Reiki forums that insist everything be kept private within the group) but instead they read pages of their material word for word, and frequently distributed copies of those pages to everyone in the group (to take home and keep). This act of freely sharing one's work put me into a state of shock that lasted about three meetings, and then I began to settle into the situation and become comfortable with it.

The more we openly shared the details of our work with each other, the more it improved, and the more our skills as writers improved as well.

If you are teaching Reiki, you may one day wish to write a Reiki manual as a handout for your students, or reach a greater audience with it in the form of a book (printed or electronic). Reiki forums such as The Reiki Learning Lounge provide a wonderful means to improve your skills as a Reiki writer. Plagiarism should not be a barrier to your writing process, but rather an impetus to release your creative writing energies.

It's common to write a Reiki manual that simply repeats what is on the websites of James Deacon and Rick Rivard, it's another thing to write a Reiki manual that expresses your creative self and helps you along your path to become who you need to be.

If you are writing a Reiki manual, the improper way to get material for it is to go to James site (or any other site for that matter), copy his writing, paste it into your word processor, and publish it as your own. It's wrong to do it that way, however citations within reason are permissible.

The proper way for the author of a Reiki manual to get content for it is to research what other authors are writing, re-write it into a unique way, and add something new.

Adding something new is very important because it will make your Reiki manual unique among the others. Right now, there is simply too much Reiki material that is read and regurgitated and just plain boring. There is less than a handful of Reiki authors who have made a significant difference in the lives of their readers because they put something unique into their writing. They were able to open the Reiki channels of creative writing and allow greater healing energies of Reiki to flow through and inspire the spirit of the readers in such a way healing energies continue to expand and grow. You have it in you to do the same.

The process of writing a Reiki manual or book is work, work, and more work that involves writing, re-writing, and more re-writing. In 2006, I knew that I had a Reiki manual in me and formally began the writing process. It has been an incredible learning experience that not only involves the technology of word processors, but of self discovery as well. Is writing easy? No. The first sentence is seldom perfect as it is, and more often than not concepts are not in the best order.

For myself, learning how to balance these creative Reiki writing energies has been quite a transformational challenge. I crashed and burned a few times along the way, but the inspiration to continue in spite of the failures allowed more personal transformations to occur, and awakened creative energies that are new to me.

Reiki is a powerful healing force that facilitates personal transformation, personal healing, in ways unique to each practitioner. Writing may be one way that helps facilitate and invite the flow of Reiki through you.

The Reiki Learning Lounge is a wonderful healing Reiki space where you can explore a variety of Reiki energies. Creative Reiki writing may be one of those energies!

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:51 am

Thanks Buck, for sharing your
    heartfelt thoughts on writing.

I'm sure we will always find
    people who will copy and use
    others writings/words. I have
    come to a point of trying to
    understand & not take on other
    people's anger or bad behaviors
    in a judgmental way...........
    The internet makes it easy for
    people to cut/paste & steal other
    peoples work. Unfortunatly its
    the same when you don't lock your
    car some folks feel they have a
    right to take it.

I don't have the answer /solution
    for this kind of behavior. I do
    know that posting your thoughts on
    this issue does bring awareness to
    folks who view Reiki forums. study
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:58 am

Hi Buck,

Well based on what I just read there is no the slightest doubt in my mind that you will become very accomplished writer no matter is your topic Reiki or anything else.

Please subscribe me for your first book!! (You know early bird discount is what I am after Smile

Good Luck Buddy!

Regards,

Resko

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:41 am