Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+7
Reikijim
Bruce
Shakti ~ Rising
Thaak
Milarepa
chi_solas
Pandora
11 posters

What am I doing?

Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

What am I doing? Empty What am I doing?

Post by Pandora Sat May 09, 2009 9:48 pm

Hi folks

Discussions here and in another place have led me to question what I am actually doing when I say "I do Reiki".

I describe myself as a Reiki Master and Spiritual Healer, and view the two as being fundamentally different, with Reiki involving attunement to the Reiki and Spiritual Healing involving attunement to the client before invoking the healing energies. Yet I am now being told that the boundaries are blurred and I can't see how.

I don't follow the traditional Japanese Reiki, with the Japanese names for techniques, and the strict forms, hand positions - except when I'm teaching people, of course! I believe that I am not Japanese and I don't have the cultural background that Japanese people have, so I don't follow what is being described as "traditional", or "Japanese", or even "true" Reiki.

I come to Reiki from a Western, vaguely Christian metaphysical background, with my own spirituality and teachers. So when the Reiki principles tell me to "honour my teachers" I honour both Usui, Hayashi and Hawayo Takata but I also honour my spiritual healing teachers and my religious teachers.

Can what I'm doing still be described as Reiki? I am convinced that I give Reiki when I intend to give Reiki, and spiritual healing when I intend to give spiritual healing, but am I mistaken?

I'm not looking for yes/no answers here, I'm looking for a discussion about what I'm going through!
    study

Last edited by Pandora on Sat May 09, 2009 11:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : remembered Mrs Takata's name at last!)
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

What am I doing? Empty Re: What am I doing?

Post by chi_solas Sat May 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Pandora; I hear folks express the same feelings
    that you write about here. It seems to me that
    the Reiki System has many symbols,attunements,&
    techniques that add a reverence to help practitioners
    focus on ULFE. Many Reiki teachers have adapted
    their own Reiki practice to being more western
    thinking and breaking away from Japanese rituals
    even though they do teach/pass these techniques
    along to their students.
    sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun May 10, 2009 12:05 am

Hi Chris,

Pandora wrote:
    I describe myself as a Reiki Master and Spiritual Healer, and view the two as being fundamentally different, with Reiki involving attunement to the Reiki and Spiritual Healing involving attunement to the client before invoking the healing energies. Yet I am now being told that the boundaries are blurred and I can't see how.

i'm not trained to be a spiritual healer, so can't comment on it specifically, although i feel a bit of understanding of very basics of Reiki, Smile.

In a Reiki treatment, we're utilizing our own divine spark, our own spirit, to illicit a response (Reiki) in another. In an attunement, we're confering a part of our divine spark by way of a spiritual empowerment, onto another. These processes are somewhat unique, although not exclusive to Reiki.

The process, experience & response of spirtual healing may be somewhat different to say Quantum Touch, Pranayama, Qigong, etc. So, at what point does something cease to be all things, but come into a class of it's own? That's whay maybe we should all ask ourselves, Smile.

The boundaries are blurred for folks who see all healing or spiritual paths as the same. There's nothing 'wrong' with that. Though, like i try to further identify items beyond a 'catch-all' term like 'food', likewise, i find that useful in other things. Being specific, Smile.

Pandora wrote:
    ...so I don't follow what is being described as "traditional", or "Japanese", or even "true" Reiki.

I found out to my cost, those three above terms mean zilch, and merely mean 'authentic' to whatever they are currently teaching, Smile.

Pandora wrote:
    I come to Reiki from a Western, vaguely Christian metaphysical background, with my own spirituality and teachers. So when the Reiki principles tell me to "honour my teachers" I honour both Usui, Hayashi and Hawayo Takata but I also honour my spiritual healing teachers and my religious teachers.

Can what I'm doing still be described as Reiki?

Most definitely, Smile. The principles are to be applied to our lives, of which, your spiritual healing is a part.

Pandora wrote:
    I am convinced that I give Reiki when I intend to give Reiki, and spiritual healing when I intend to give spiritual healing, but am I mistaken?

Not at all. When i do Quantum Touch, it's QT. When i do Pranayama, it's Pranayama. Hatha Yoga is Hatha yoga. Kuji-in is Kuji-in. Qigong is Qigong. Perhaps with the slight exception of Kuji-in, for anyone who has studied the rest, it's pretty obvious, via the processes, what is being accessed (it is all the same), this is taking all aspects into account. With Reiki it is all different, this is taking all aspects into account.

Perhaps it is the same with spiritual healing?

Pandora wrote:
    I'm not looking for yes/no answers here, I'm looking for a discussion about what I'm going through!
    study

Really useful topic!

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sun May 10, 2009 2:11 am

Pandora wrote:Hi folks

Discussions here and in another place have led me to question what I am actually doing when I say "I do Reiki".

I don't follow the traditional Japanese Reiki, with the Japanese names for techniques, and the strict forms, hand positions - except when I'm teaching people, of course! I believe that I am not Japanese and I don't have the cultural background that Japanese people have, so I don't follow what is being described as "traditional", or "Japanese", or even "true" Reiki.

Can what I'm doing still be described as Reiki? I am convinced that I give Reiki when I intend to give Reiki, and spiritual healing when I intend to give spiritual healing, but am I mistaken?

study

I don’t believe Reiki and spiritual healing are mutually exclusive when you are in the process of facilitating a healing session. When you are allowing yourself to “be attuned to your client” with spiritual healing, I’d wager that Reiki assists the process.

And when you are letting Reiki flow, you are, in a way, attuning to your client.

Actually, Reiki, in my mind, can become a form of spiritual healing in and of itself. It certainly doesn’t necessarily start out that way to the beginner. But when you take it to a certain level, it ceases to become an outside force that you channel upon your client.

It is no longer part of separation consciousness. And that, I feel, is the whole basis of spiritual healing.

I think the blurring of the line… what you are going through… is essentially your “aha!” moment with what Reiki can actually be. That isn’t to say that what you have already been doing isn’t profound, potent, powerful, and pure.

But I think we can all agree, that as soon as we think we’ve “got” something, we learn that we don’t really. That there are always deeper levels to everything and we can explore those if we wish.

I think what you are going through, is one of those moments where you can luxuriate in exploration and learning something new about life, Reiki, spiritual healing, and yourself.

Enjoy it Sister!

Love and Light,
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sun May 10, 2009 2:15 am

Milarepa wrote:Hi Chris,

Not at all. When i do Quantum Touch, it's QT. When i do Pranayama, it's Pranayama. Hatha Yoga is Hatha yoga. Kuji-in is Kuji-in. Qigong is Qigong. Perhaps with the slight exception of Kuji-in, for anyone who has studied the rest, it's pretty obvious, via the processes, what is being accessed (it is all the same), this is taking all aspects into account. With Reiki it is all different, this is taking all aspects into account.

Perhaps it is the same with spiritual healing?

I'd like to comment on this.

I think that Reiki can and will flow (unless you specifically intend for it not to, and then sometimes I don't think you have a choice) no matter what system you are using. Reiki can and will assist other systems, and other systems can assist Reiki. They can all be used in synergy.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun May 10, 2009 3:16 am

Thaak wrote:

I think that Reiki can and will flow (unless you specifically intend for it not to, and then sometimes I don't think you have a choice) no matter what system you are using. Reiki can and will assist other systems, and other systems can assist Reiki. They can all be used in synergy.

Yeah, this may be true for folks who think the above, i.e. sometimes one has no choice. Then by that very belief, it's self-fullfilling, no choice = not doing anything about it. Smile .

That's not my own experience. If say, i'm sitting beside my missus, and i feel the familiar warmth in my hands, and she doesn't wish for Reiki, a simple internal 'no' stops it. Bearing in mind, any sensation we associate commonly with Reiki, doesn't mean Reiki is already 'flowing' anywhere. It doesn't 'go' anywhere anyhow. Free will works fine for me though, i've never experienced once not being able to do that.

Bear in mind though, 'Reiki' is 'emanating' (if i can use that term) outward form us at all times in all directions, this is why we are always protected incidentally. To a degree, we may affect others around us, as all humans do, even sitting in front of a PC all day does. The issue of how far we take this, bears on our responsibility, and leads obviosuly to permission.

Thaak wrote:
    no matter what system you are using..

Like i tried to illustrate before, all spiritual or healing systems are not neccessarily accessing what Reiki Ryoho does. QT, Pranayam, Qigong (initially), we access from without, Reiki is accessed from within.

Thaak wrote:
    Reiki can and will assist other systems, and other systems can assist Reiki. They can all be used in synergy.

Yes, this may be true if one wants this. This issue is though, whether this happens without one's knowledge. It doesn't for me. I guess it is to do with mindfulness also for me, which i'm kinda into, hehe. Like i indicated earlier, when i do one spiritual or healing modality, i'm solely doing that one, attempting to be fully in that path or technique. It's quite straight-forward for me, i'm expereincing Reiki when i fully wish to, i'm in total control. And why not, it's my life after all, hehe, Smile .

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sun May 10, 2009 3:52 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:

Yeah, this may be true for folks who think the above, i.e. sometimes one has no choice. Then by that very belief, it's self-fullfilling, no choice = not doing anything about it. Smile .

That's not my own experience. If say, i'm sitting beside my missus, and i feel the familiar warmth in my hands, and she doesn't wish for Reiki, a simple internal 'no' stops it. Bearing in mind, any sensation we associate commonly with Reiki, doesn't mean Reiki is already 'flowing' anywhere. It doesn't 'go' anywhere anyhow. Free will works fine for me though.

Thaak wrote:
    no matter what system you are using..

Like i tried to illustrate before, all spiritual or healing systems are not neccessarily accessing what Reiki Ryoho does. QT, Pranayam, Qigong (initially), we access from without, Reiki is accessed from within.

Thaak wrote:
    Reiki can and will assist other systems, and other systems can assist Reiki. They can all be used in synergy.

Yes, this may be true if one wants this. This issue is though, whether this happens without one's knowledge. It doesn't for me. I guess it is to do with mindfulness also for me, which i'm kinda into, hehe. Like i indicated earlier, when i do one spiritual or healing modality, i'm solely doing that one, attempting to be fully in that path or technique. It's quite straight-forward for me, i'm expereincing Reiki when i fully wish to, i'm in total control. And why not, it's my life after all, hehe, Smile .

Take care
    Wayne

Absolutely Wayne!

Mindfulness is very useful to the path to enlightenment.

Being fully present in the moment, and fully aware of what you are doing, is very useful to the path to enlightenment.

Just practicing these two things can bring so much joy, experiential beauty, and wonderment to one’s life. It can ultimately bring peace and happiness.

If your path to enlightenment, in collecting/realizing your own power, is to create a space of non-separation or reciprocation (Ayni) and oneness (Munay) by focusing on a single healing system at a time and fully enveloping yourself in it, then that is a beautiful thing.

On the other hand, I have chosen to release that particular control in my life, and let the lineage’s speak through me. This is not a release of mindfulness or being fully present. But rather not allowing myself to try and control the destiny that I have summoned.

EDIT: I didn't want to forget to mention that both ways are equally sound.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:11 am

oh my goodness....why do some folks feel that Reiki and spiritual healing are two seperate things????

please break down the word REIKI........what does this mean to you????
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:32 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:oh my goodness....why do some folks feel that Reiki and spiritual healing are two seperate things????

I don't think they are two separate things. Once you've read more of my posts, you'll see where I'm coming from.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:50 am

my post wasn't directed at you hehe.. it's clear that you see no seperation....
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:04 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:my post wasn't directed at you hehe.. it's clear that you see no seperation....

Ah, ok. Just checkin... hehe
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:44 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:please break down the word REIKI........what does this mean to you????

"Spirit air." Now, break down the word KAMIKAZE. What does this mean to you???? sunny

Bruce
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:19 pm

Well...ok

We perceive "one" and "separate" in different ways possibly, and again, it`s a different perception when viewing different objects...

The Universe in "one thing" yeah... I know what this means...on one level, or many....

My brain and spirit have the ability, together, or separately, for this interpretation. I can even experience all the elements at once, with out division, and still see them as individual....But I`m allowed to catagorize to enable a more detailed experience in my perception of it

Spirit is a general term that can mean different things...we all know this..

The air we breathe is defined as one thing, but "air" is composed of different elements that can be identified.

I believe spirit to be the same way...

There is spirit...and there is spirits...as in, one spirit, can reach out and connect with you....or you can reach out and connect with all, or just one teensy, weensy element of spirit

A generalization...spirit or energy...

Catagories..., for a deeper interpretation, Reiki, Pranic healing, spiritual healing...then oh,... lets go the personal route...Um...Shen, Qi, Jing, or if one prefers,..Ki...now lets really generalize...life force...

It`s mostly about the one perceiving the object, and to what depth they choose to dive...lol

Please...lets hear my fault in reasoning....I`ve been in this one before...this topic unravels like a wool sweater...lol

Smile RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Sounds good bro!

i think i'll go have a bag of potatoes for a snack. Wait! I mean, a bag of french fries! No, a bag of potato chips/crips! Damn it, i'll just go into the shop and ask for a bag of potatoes, after all, it's all potatoe anyhow!

What am I doing? 134201
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 pm

Bruce wrote:
    Shakti ~ Rising wrote:please break down the word REIKI........what does this mean to you????

"Spirit air." Now, break down the word KAMIKAZE. What does this mean to you???? sunny

Bruce

a small camel-loo geek
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:
    Bruce wrote:

Bruce

a small camel-loo geek

Huh? What's a camel-loo?

As I noted on a previous message board:
    Kami = spirit. Kaze = wind. Reiki = spirit. Ki = air, which is the substance of wind. So then kamikaze must be reiki in motion, right??? At least by the sort of literal translation that you seem to think proves something. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Or maybe you now realize that it doesn't, after all.

Bruce
    vijaybali
    vijaybali

What am I doing? Empty what am i doing

Post by vijaybali Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 pm

hia,

all spritiual technic working for one concept and that is to knew who i am So i don't feel it is matter if we mixup, basically target is same so it is not matter what we are using. It is as same as we see i am indian,pakistani, U.S.A, england etc but when come on this site we feel we are one and forget all other thing. Same thing happend in spritiual path and our motive to help mankind may be whatever technic we used.

So forget all thing just continue on your mission to knew "who i am" and only those knew who help others, spread love, give happiness and this all thing common in all spritiual technic.... and we are also working for same.

thanks and love.
    vj
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:30 pm

nice to see you're still a condescending egomaniac! Very Happy

to me Bruce the literal translation of the word REIKI means divinely guided life force energy.....this translation proves accurate to my deepest levels of being.... which means everything to me.

re-read my initial post ' please break down the word REIKI, what does this mean to you?' breaking down a word has deeper implications than just the literal...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:48 pm

Good to continue to see some great individual personalities! Laughing
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:53 pm

makes life interesting! afro
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:55 pm

OMG! It's Jamie Affro from 'X Factor'! WHHHHHHHHHHOoooooooooooo
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:01 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:oh my goodness....why do some folks feel that Reiki and spiritual healing are two seperate things????

why would you want to break one perfectly good whole word into two (or more) different words?

Reiki' is one complete word in its own right.

Yes, in order to write our word 'Reiki' [there are many differentJapanese words pronounced "Reiki"], we use the two kanji which in isolation represent the words Rei, and Ki respectively - though Reiki is not 'Rei Ki'...

It is a common belief that, by breaking a thing down into its component parts, we may better understand it - yet here we may also encounter confusion...

Imagine someone who has been attempting to teach themself English as second language.

While they already have a substantial vocabulary, they have heard the following words, but do not know what they mean:

Antelope
    Legend
    Idealist
    Father
    Gauntlet
    Target

They decide that the easiest way to grasp the meaning of these words is to break them down into – as they see it – their component parts, and then simply combine the meanings of these parts

and so they begin:

"Antelope? Ant-elope... 'Ant' & 'Elope'!
    OK, I know these words. Now, just combine the meanings, and... wow, that was easy!"

"Antelope: an insect who runs away with their beloved"

and so, they begin to work their way through the remainder of the words:

Legend – 'Leg' & 'End'

Idealist – 'Idea' & 'List'

Father – 'Fat' & 'Her'

Gauntlet – 'Gaunt' & 'Let'

Simple, really!

Neutral
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:07 am

so what does the whole word REIKI mean to you ?
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:25 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:nice to see you're still a condescending egomaniac! Very Happy

to me Bruce the literal translation of the word REIKI means divinely guided life force energy.....this translation proves accurate to my deepest levels of being.... which means everything to me.

re-read my initial post ' please break down the word REIKI, what does this mean to you?' breaking down a word has deeper implications than just the literal...

It's nice to see that you're still resorting to pouting and ad hominem attacks when the holes in your "reasoning" are exposed. James explained on reiki-4-all and on this forum that rei is more likely to refer to an individual spirit. Why do you think that it means "divinely guided?" Just because it feels like it to you? Can you see how much error would result if all translation were done that way??? Rolling Eyes sunny

I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't take. Apologies if my reposting results in redundancy.

Bruce
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:30 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:so what does the whole word REIKI mean to you ?

The word Reiki for me represents a system that uses ULFE.
    That is the natural air that we breath to stay alive. We
    take our first breath by ourselves when the DR smacks us at
    birth. what a way to be welcomed into the world sunny

Penelope Jewell breaks the word down to

Rei = ULFE - brought through
    ki = Personal energy - for the purpose of healing

I like the way she interprets the Japanese Rei characters
    The first character REI is rain under the heavens
    2nd characters that's the 3 little little squares
    represents praying And the 3rd character is magic
    under heaven the energy comes down to earth. She is
    more detailed

The Ki characters 3 lines are clouds absorbed by earth
    the long heavy line represents tree and grass growing up
    through the earth, the cross with 4 dots represents the
    farmers seeds with harvest-sheaf. Like I say she goes into
    more detail around the characters.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 6:43 pm