Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Rlei_ki
Milarepa
thehungrycaterpillar
Thaak
8 posters

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread)

Thaak
    Thaak

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: Martial Arts stuff (from different thread)

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 12:47 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Rlei_ki wrote:
    Bruce wrote:...In the same way that I'd have to disagree if someone claiming to be a martial practitioner said that he used the chakras instead of the dan tian (tanden), but that it doesn't matter.

Unless perhaps, he was a student of Kalari payat, or some other Indian art...

Kind of like an Indian version of Kung fu? Looks like Kung Fu a bit (and aspects of capoeria), they use animals as basis of art also. It's said Kalari payat is one of the oldest arts. I wonder, would there have been any link between Kalari & Kung fu, via those that travelled East?

take care
    Wayne

Ok, finally found a definitive reason why my dojo uses the term Karate.

bout National Karate
    {Previous Page}
    BRIEF HISTORY OF NK

In 1973, our first school opened in Minneapolis, Minnesota under the direction of Grand Masters and 8th Degree Black Belts, John Worley and Larry Carnahan. With 24 locations in Minnesota and 4 in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, NK has become the largest martial arts organization in the Midwest. NK has taught over 60,000 people and currently has over 6,000 active students.

The professional instructors at NK are among the best in America. They are highly skilled martial artists, as well as effective communicators and leaders. All NK instructors are certified Black Belts who are committed to excellence and promise to provide the best Martial Arts training available anywhere.
    NK'S MARTIAL ART STYLE

The expert instructors at NK are continuing to refine Korean Tae Kwon Do and Japanese Karate by adding techniques and theory relevant to the modern American lifestyle, while preserving the traditions and philosophy of its Eastern heritage. Using the best aspect of Korean Tae Kwon Do and Japanese Karate, NK is considered an American style of Karate. This blend of East and West makes NK a truly unique martial art system.
    THE INDOMITABLE SPIRIT OF A BLACK BELT

One of the most important qualities in successful people is the possession of an unquenchable drive and determination. A spirit that never gives up, that never quits, and always keeps fighting. National Karate has been developing this indomitable spirit in people since 1973. That is why we are so proud of the men, women, and children who have achieved one of the most coveted and respected accomplishments in life...the rank of Black Belt!

Would you like to begin the exciting journey to developing an indomitable spirit and earn a Black Belt? All glory comes from daring to begin!

Additionally

, and I can’t find it now, but last night I was reading some online (take the credibility of it for whatever it is having been an unverified/able online source) stuff on the history of Shotokan Karate. Part of the history went back to Karate’s foundation in Chinese Boxing and Kung Fu. So it also gave a brief history of Kung Fu.

Bottom line, a Buddhist Monk from India who brought Chan (Zen) Buddhism to the Shaolin Monks in China also brought a martial art and trained the Monks in such. This eventually became the Shaolin Kung Fu we see today.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 Empty Re: Martial Arts stuff (from different thread)

Post by Milarepa Sat May 16, 2009 12:58 am

Thaak wrote:

bout National Karate
    {Previous Page}
    BRIEF HISTORY OF NK

In 1973, our first school opened in Minneapolis, Minnesota under the direction of Grand Masters and 8th Degree Black Belts, John Worley and Larry Carnahan. With 24 locations in Minnesota and 4 in the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago, NK has become the largest martial arts organization in the Midwest. NK has taught over 60,000 people and currently has over 6,000 active students.

The professional instructors at NK are among the best in America. They are highly skilled martial artists, as well as effective communicators and leaders. All NK instructors are certified Black Belts who are committed to excellence and promise to provide the best Martial Arts training available anywhere.
    NK'S MARTIAL ART STYLE

The expert instructors at NK are continuing to refine Korean Tae Kwon Do and Japanese Karate by adding techniques and theory relevant to the modern American lifestyle, while preserving the traditions and philosophy of its Eastern heritage. Using the best aspect of Korean Tae Kwon Do and Japanese Karate, NK is considered an American style of Karate. This blend of East and West makes NK a truly unique martial art system.
    THE INDOMITABLE SPIRIT OF A BLACK BELT

One of the most important qualities in successful people is the possession of an unquenchable drive and determination. A spirit that never gives up, that never quits, and always keeps fighting. National Karate has been developing this indomitable spirit in people since 1973. That is why we are so proud of the men, women, and children who have achieved one of the most coveted and respected accomplishments in life...the rank of Black Belt!

Would you like to begin the exciting journey to developing an indomitable spirit and earn a Black Belt? All glory comes from daring to begin!

Additionally

, and I can’t find it now, but last night I was reading some online (take the credibility of it for whatever it is having been an unverified/able online source) stuff on the history of Shotokan Karate. Part of the history went back to Karate’s foundation in Chinese Boxing and Kung Fu. So it also gave a brief history of Kung Fu.

Bottom line, a Buddhist Monk from India who brought Chan (Zen) Buddhism to the Shaolin Monks in China also brought a martial art and trained the Monks in such. This eventually became the Shaolin Kung Fu we see today.

I'm wondering Andy, as this could explain our difference of opinion..

If the above, when they mention Taekwondo, actually talking about Jhoon Rhee, who taught Tang soo do, which, as i pointed out is one of 9 Kwans of TaeKwondo, but on it's own is regarded as Korean Karate, and resembles it as such. This would explain how easy it was for NK to merge it into Karate, and still retain keep the name 'Karate' viably.

Tang soo do, was one of the 9 kwans amalgamated by the Korean taekwondo assocoiation, who later joined the WTF.

At the end of the day, the TaeKwondo differences initially arose outta with polics. The ITF (which Gen. Choi created, and i 'assume' Jhoon rhee is a part) has it's unoffical headquarters in Pyongyang, North Korea. Whilst, Kukkiwon/WTf has it's headquarters in South Korea. Quite often the two don't even recoqnise each others existencve.

Take care
    Wayne

P.S. i've also read of martial arts roots coming from India. Stories of 'fighting monks'. I think i mentioned before, there's a strong opinion, in certain circels, that most of humanities knowledge comes from India, and the Vedas.

Last edited by Milarepa on Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Sat May 16, 2009 1:24 am

Thaak wrote:

That's the legend, and it might or might not be true -- at this point, nobody knows for sure -- but it shouldn't be uncritically accepted as fact. A version of the Bodhidharma (Damo) story also says that he fell asleep during meditation and was so upset about it that he tore off his eyelids and threw them to the ground, where they transformed into tea plants, the leaves of which were subsequently used by the monks to stay awake during meditation. I doubt that's the way it happened, though.

Bruce
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Sat May 16, 2009 1:32 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Bruce wrote:...In the same way that I'd have to disagree if someone claiming to be a martial practitioner said that he used the chakras instead of the dan tian (tanden), but that it doesn't matter.

Touche. Does kalari payat teach the practitioner to use chakras in martial applications? And if it does, then is there a fundamental difference in movement when compared with arts that place emphasis on the lower dan tian?

Bruce
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 1:54 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

Huh??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

Kalari???????????
    I L O V E Kalari!!!
    One of the hottest Martial Arts!

Goddamn it,

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 396901

I want to do martial arts now....
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat May 16, 2009 3:38 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    What about the Western arts?

For example, the UK's home-grown art of E-T:
    "The Ancient Lancastrian Art of Self-defence"

Eee by gum, lad there's nowt like it, tha knows!
    Not to mention the Salford Kiss Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 396901 (like the Glasgow kiss but without the kilt!)
    Not so subtle energy!

Laughing
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Last edited by Colin on Sat May 16, 2009 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Sat May 16, 2009 3:42 am

Bruce wrote: Does kalari payat teach the practitioner to use chakras in martial applications?

I'm not personally aware of such a specific direct application of Chakra theory in Kalari (of course it's not an art I have had first-hand experience of training in)

I do know the chakra system is a focus of several meditation practices dealing with energy-cultivation; also chakra-balancing is part of the heavily massage-centred therapeutic practices associated with Kalari.

There is also a lot of focus on energy meridians (nadi) and presser points*(marma) both for therapeutic and offensive usage; so I would speculate that as nadis, marmas and chakras all inter-relate, it is quite possible that at some level of training, Kalari may possibly teach some sort of offensive use of chakras (or rather, chakra force)

_______
    EDIT: for some unknown (Freudian?) reason my subconscious prompted me to write 'presser points' when of course I meant to write 'pressure points'. I was going to correct this, however, as it has already been quoted in two posts, I'll just let it stand.

On second thoughts, though, maybe its a sign
    - I could probably make a fortune teaching my amazing new "Presser-point therapy"
    Kerchinng! Laughing

Last edited by Rlei_ki on Sat May 16, 2009 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat May 16, 2009 4:07 am

Colin wrote:Not to mention the Salford Kiss ...

ah yes, an elegantly simple technique, closely related to the "Norris-Green Nut"...

Both techniques of course usually being executed by alcohol-fuelled practitioners, in the appropriate 'social' setting, at the appropriate nocturnal hour, and only after engaging in the customary two-part ritual:

the first part being the formal exchange of derogatory remarks, and insinuations concerning for example, ones virility, ones parentage, etc

and the second part being the 'kotodama'-like intonations of one's companion to the effect of:
    "kuh mon, lee vit, ees noh wur tit!"

Laughing
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 5:50 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Colin wrote:Not to mention the Salford Kiss ...

ah yes, an elegantly simple technique, closely related to the "Norris-Green Nut"...

Both techniques of course usually being executed by alcohol-fuelled practitioners, in the appropriate 'social' setting, at the appropriate nocturnal hour, and only after engaging in the customary two-part ritual:

the first part being the formal exchange of derogatory remarks, and insinuations concerning for example, ones virility, ones parentage, etc

and the second part being the 'kotodama'-like intonations of one's companion to the effect of:
    "kuh mon, lee vit, ees noh wur tit!"

Laughing

HarHarharhar......harharhar.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 564490

Oh James, you are killing me!!!!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 5:57 am

I do know the chakra system is a focus of several meditation practices dealing with energy-cultivation; also chakra-balancing is part of the heavily massage-centred therapeutic practices associated with Kalari.

There is also a lot of focus on energy meridians (nadi) and presser points (marma) both for therapeutic and offensive usage; so I would speculate that as nadis, marmas and chakras all inter-relate, it is quite possible that at some level of training, Kalari may possibly teach some sort of offensive use of chakras (or rather, chakra force)

OMG,

I was going to ask Andy to teach me about the 'presser' points...
    hmmmm..........
    for self defense ofcourse, I may or may not need it in the future, it is not like I am going to use them on my guests or anything....

lol!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 6:00 am

Instructional Video 1

Instructional Video 1

Instructional Video 1

Hilarious!!!!!

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 158903
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 6:23 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:

OMG,

I was going to ask Andy to teach me about the 'presser' points...
    hmmmm..........
    for self defense ofcourse, I may or may not need it in the future, it is not like I am going to use them on my guests or anything....

lol!

I know a couple of the pressure points. But not real well, and probably not well enough to use in combat.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 6:31 am

I know a couple of the pressure points. But not real well, and probably not well enough to use in combat.

Teach me, teach me????

bounce

Very Happy

I'll improvise, I am thinking coconuts, if my pressure point techniques don't work!!!

Last edited by thehungrycaterpillar on Sat May 16, 2009 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 6:37 am

Milarepa wrote:

P.S. i've also read of martial arts roots coming from India. Stories of 'fighting monks'. I think i mentioned before, there's a strong opinion, in certain circels, that most of humanities knowledge comes from India, and the Vedas.

AaaaWoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 158903
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 6:40 am

Teach me, teach me????

bounce

Very Happy

Pretty hard via message board or email.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 6:42 am

Pretty hard via message board or email.

Uh oh!!

Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 6907

May be then, I'll make up my own??
    jocolor
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 6:45 am

there is one 1" below the ears???
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 7:23 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:there is one 1" below the ears???

yes, right behind the jaw bone. The TMJ is typically a very tender spot to touch.

Also one under the arms just below the arm pit.

In the meaty part between thumb and index finger.

anywhere between the bones in the and between fingers.

Forearm just below the elbow

Just above the knee along the outside of the thigh

Under the chin

but I like the Eyes, Nose, Throat, Solar Plexus, Groin, Knee as devastating targets to take your opponent out of the fight fast.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 8:02 am

Thaak wrote:

yes, right behind the jaw bone. The TMJ is typically a very tender spot to touch.

Under the chin

but I like the Eyes, Nose, Throat, Solar Plexus, Groin, Knee as devastating targets to take your opponent out of the fight fast.

'KEWL'!!!!!!!!! ( as in -45 degrees.....)

Now, if only somebody will agree to be my guinea pig.... Do sleeping participants count?? Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 78411

I am totally joking!

Thanks a million!!!!!!!! but what exactly do you do with those?? I have seen in the movies people using two fingers to jab?? what happens then??
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 8:04 am

Thaak wrote:

Under the chin

'KEWL'!!!!!!!!! ( as in -45 degrees.....)

Now, if only somebody will agree to be my guinea pig.... Do sleeping participants count?? Martial Arts stuff (from different thread) - Page 3 78411

I am totally joking!

Thanks a million!!!!!!!! but what exactly do you do with those?? I have seen in the movies people using two fingers to jab?? what happens then??

Some are jabbable. Those hurt and can cause numbness and even temporary paralysis or muscle spasm in the limb (or for behind the jawbone/under the ear can cause disorientation or loss of balance.) Unless you know what you are doing though, they mostly just hurt.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 8:11 am

Some are jabbable. Those hurt and can cause numbness and even temporary paralysis or muscle spasm in the limb (or for behind the jawbone/under the ear can cause disorientation or loss of balance.) Unless you know what you are doing though, they mostly just hurt.

ummm....
    I don't know if I can bring myself to do that to somebody...
    scratch
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat May 16, 2009 8:18 am

ummm....
    I don't know if I can bring myself to do that to somebody...
    scratch

chuckle... yeah, not something that you can easily find someone to practice with.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 am

chuckle... yeah, not something that you can easily find someone to practice with.

May be, I'll try it on myself first!!!!

lol!
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat May 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Thaak wrote:
    ... under the arms just below the arm pit.
    Under the chin
    but I like the Eyes, Nose, Throat, Solar Plexus, Groin, Knee as devastating targets to take your opponent out of the fight fast...

Some are jabbable. Those hurt and can cause numbness and even temporary paralysis or muscle spasm in the limb (or for behind the jawbone/under the ear can cause disorientation or loss of balance.)

Unless you know what you are doing though, they mostly just hurt.

I agree with the "mostly", though it is also true to say that unless you know what you are doing, striking at least a couple of the areas you mention can actually result in serious damage - often way beyond the intended level of incapacitation....
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Sun May 17, 2009 3:24 pm

Since we're discussing martial arts . . . .

Here's a nice depiction of martial spirit. It's vintage footage of Yip Man (who was Bruce Lee's wing chun teacher), demonstrating his art about a week before he died from throat cancer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbNETKezmns

Bruce

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:44 pm