Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

3 posters

Accuracy of Usuis memorial stone?

Erik Jögimar
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Accuracy of Usuis memorial stone? Empty Accuracy of Usuis memorial stone?

Post by Erik Jögimar Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:36 pm

I've been printing just about every page i could find over at AETW, and am wondering if anyone here knows how accurate the information given om Usui senseis memorial stone is. Is it worth taken it into consideration, or should one assume that it is strongly biased as his students wrote it?

Anyone have any ideas?
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Accuracy of Usuis memorial stone? Empty Re: Accuracy of Usuis memorial stone?

Post by Colin Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:41 am

Erik Jögimar wrote:I've been printing just about every page i could find over at AETW, and am wondering if anyone here knows how accurate the information given om Usui senseis memorial stone is. Is it worth taken it into consideration, or should one assume that it is strongly biased as his students wrote it?

Anyone have any ideas?

Hi Erik

I think one of the main "problems" with the Usui Memorial stone is that it is inscribed in Old Japanese, which makes it difficult for many people to translate into modern Japanese let alone into English! I would imagine it is a bit like trying to translate Shakespeare (or maybe even Chaucer) into modern English and then into another modern language...not easy to do an accurate job unless you are a trained scholar!

Also, yes, I think the information on the stone may be biased towards the work Usui did with his later students - the ones who were actually around when the Gakkai was formed. I believe the stone was erected against the wishes of the remaining Usui family and this is what actually caused, or contributed to, the rift between the Usui family and the Usui Reiki Ryoho Gakkai (which resulted in his descendants not wanting talking about Mikao Usui and Reiki).

However, it is really the only concrete evidence we have about the life of Mikao Usui, so until some other real evidence appears which contradicts what is said on the memorial stone, I feel happy to believe what is written there - perhaps allowing for some exaggerations and flattery by students for their sensei! Smile

Unless, of course, you are one of the Reiki conspiracy gang, who believe that the Usui memorial is a hoax and was erected in the 1980s by a certain Reiki school in Japan that wanted to "prove" their particular version of the history of Reiki! Cool

Rolling Eyes

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Erik Jögimar
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Erik Jögimar Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Colin,

Thanks for your reply! I had never considered the memorialstone as a cause of rift between Usui family and the Gakkai. I have another question however regarding one of the accomplishments of Usui-sensei. The stone says that he assisted after a great earthquake. Are there any proof for this taking place, or another smaller exaggeration?

Arigatou Gozaimashita

Erik
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:15 pm

Erik Jögimar wrote:Colin,

Thanks for your reply! I had never considered the memorialstone as a cause of rift between Usui family and the Gakkai. I have another question however regarding one of the accomplishments of Usui-sensei. The stone says that he assisted after a great earthquake. Are there any proof for this taking place, or another smaller exaggeration?

Arigatou Gozaimashita

Erik

Hi Erik

Well, the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923 certainly took place! You can see lots of photographs here,

http://www.japan-guide.com/a/earthquake/

showing the utter devastation and loss of life - much of which was aggravated by the use of wood burning hibachi stoves, which created lots of fires. Sad

As to whether Usui sensei went to help? Well I can't imagine a man such as him not helping! I am sure he would have felt compassion for the people affected by this terrible event and would have offered to help in whatever way he could.

There are stories of him healing five people at once (one person with each hand and foot, and another using his eyes to give Reiki!) Now that may (or may not!) be a slight exaggeration! Smile

It is also possible that his experience of treating so many homeless and sick people eventually became the story/parable which Hawayo Takata set in the Beggar's Quarter, in Kyoto.

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:40 am

Colin wrote:

Unless, of course, you are one of the Reiki conspiracy gang...

you mean there's more than one! jeepers! send me the membership forms please! Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 5:49 am