Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Colin
Rlei_ki
6 posters

How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki....

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki.... Empty How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki....

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 am

I thought some folks might be interested in this .pdf file version of a Reiki News article (2007):

How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki

by Marianne Streich

Smile

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki.... Empty Re: How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki....

Post by Colin Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 am

Rlei_ki wrote:I thought some folks might be interested in this .pdf file version of a Reiki News article (2007):

by Marianne Streich

Smile

Yes, nice post, James. I remember reading it in Reiki News. Marianne has written another article in the current (Fall 2009) Reiki News called The Story of Dr Chujiro Hayashi, which is generally quite informative but also includes the (unreferenced)statement: "The Gakkai placed emphasis on the navel and the Tanden as important energy centers, while Hayashi focused more on the meridian lines of acupuncture and the chakras! (!) affraid

I intend to email her for a reference for that statement. Smile

Meanwhile, back on topic, here is a link to another article - an interview with Mrs Takata, from the Honolulu Advertiser in 1974:
    http://www.reiki.org/reikinews/reikin7.html

Very Happy
    Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki.... Empty Re: How Hawayo Takata Practiced and Taught Reiki....

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I would just like to point out that, while Marianne's article is generally a very good concise intro to Takata-sensei's approach to Reiki, there are one or two points of contention with the piece.

Firstly, Marianne states that "Kokiyu-ho is the dry bathing technique"
    As we know, this particular technique is Kenyoku-ho
    Kokiyu ho is actually the 'breath empowerment' practice.
    The term kokiyu - or as it's more commonly transliterated: kokyū [kokyuu] - implies breath/breathing, and also refers to a secret or special knack of doing something...

Another that perhaps needs to be commented on is the nature and number of hand positions described.
    Over the years, it seems different Master's trained by Takata-sensei claimed to have been taught slightly differently.
    For example the hand positions as passed down through several Takata lineages number 12 in total: 4 on the front, 4 on the back, and 4 on the 'head' (actually, three on the head - plus one on the throat).

However, as Marianne says
    "We must rely on the memories and writings of the twenty-two Masters.... [Takata]
    trained and on her Level I and II students to reconstruct her methods of practicing and teaching."

Smile
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:46 pm

Colin wrote:...Marianne has written another article in the current (Fall 2009) Reiki News called The Story of Dr Chujiro Hayashi, which is generally quite informative but also includes the (unreferenced)statement: "The Gakkai placed emphasis on the navel and the Tanden as important energy centers, while Hayashi focused more on the meridian lines of acupuncture and the chakras! (!) affraid

Interesting that the Hayashi Treatment Guidelines focus primarily on the head, spinal column and internal organs...

more interesting still that the Usui Treatment Guidelines (which some suggest was actually compiled by Hayashi-sensei on Usui-sensei's behalf) place a reasonable degree of emphasis on the treatment of the Lumbar, Thoracic & Cervical vertebrae....

Smile
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:38 pm

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Interesting that the Hayashi Treatment Guidelines focus primarily on the head, spinal column and internal organs...

more interesting still that the Usui Treatment Guidelines (which some suggest was actually compiled by Hayashi-sensei on Usui-sensei's behalf) place a reasonable degree of emphasis on the treatment of the Lumbar, Thoracic & Cervical vertebrae....

Smile

...and that Mrs Takata's 'Foundation Treatment' focuses primarily on the head, internal organs and endocrine glands and finishes with the Nerve stroke down each side of the spinal column. Still no mention of the 'c' word though! Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 am

course, some would say that the 'c' are actually based on the endocrine glands, ahem.. Very Happy
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:46 am

Putting my "adult education" teacher's hat on here...

It appears that there was very little standardisation, if any, in what Mrs Takata actually taught her students. It seems a bit like Chinese (Japanese?) Whispers! How can her syllabus be reconstructed accurately if there were no notes? There is a transcription of a tape of one of her classes. But each of her classes were different!

Perhaps - and this is a very important point for people who think we should stick to what she taught - she changed what she taught to suit her students? If that is the case, then that reinforces my thought that it is the students experience of Reiki that is what is important, not what is taught to the students.

It seems to me that the only standard things were:

1. Hand positions. She seems to have admitted to changing them - simplifying them - to suit the needs of her Western students.
    2. Reiki principles.
    3. Symbols - but we know that their appearance changed, in part due to the "Chinese Whispers" mechanism. How do these changes amend the effect of the symbols? (I nearly typed "system" instead of "symbols" there. OK - how do these changes amend the effect of the system?)
    4. 4 attunements at Level 1.

And that is it - that is what her teaching boils down to.

Anything else, it is just not possible to be certain of.

So, if this is all that is taught, that makes Reiki far too simple! Wink

Everything else - the breathing exercises, for example - seem to have been taught differently at different times by her. Are they really part of Reiki?

I'm presently reading Frank Arjava Petter's Usui Manual, with the 3 pillars of Reiki - gassho, reiji, hand positions. Did she teach gassho and reiji?

If Mrs Takata changed what Usui taught and still called it Reiki, why do people look down on others who do that?

confused
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:51 am

Milarepa wrote:course, some would say that the 'c' are actually based on the endocrine glands, ahem.. Very Happy

Hehe..sorry, Wayne, I couldn't help but put a little bait out there for you!
    Laughing

One can almost hear the phrase: "A rose by another other name..." Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am

Colin wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:course, some would say that the 'c' are actually based on the endocrine glands, ahem.. Very Happy

Hehe..sorry, Wayne, I couldn't help but put a little bait out there for you!
    Laughing

One can almost hear the phrase: "A rose by another other name..." Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

yeah and i grabbed it 'hook, line & sinker'!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:34 am

Pandora wrote:Putting my "adult education" teacher's hat on here...

It appears that there was very little standardisation, if any, in what Mrs Takata actually taught her students. It seems a bit like Chinese (Japanese?) Whispers! How can her syllabus be reconstructed accurately if there were no notes? There is a transcription of a tape of one of her classes. But each of her classes were different!

The differences may be in part down to memory of Master students, Smile . Any good teacher may explain certian things within a class setting slightly different, to accomodate the students, the core syllabus will stay the same. You know this but Chris, Smile.

Pandora wrote:
    Perhaps - and this is a very important point for people who think we should stick to what she taught - she changed what she taught to suit her students? If that is the case, then that reinforces my thought that it is the students experience of Reiki that is what is important, not what is taught to the students.

How much really was changed though? And yeah, the students expereince is very important.

Only reason why i think a person should stick to what she taught is if they try to say it's the system Takata sensei actually taught. By saying it's Usui Shiki Ryoho.

Pandora wrote:

1. Hand positions. She seems to have admitted to changing them - simplifying them - to suit the needs of her Western students.
    2. Reiki principles.
    3. Symbols - but we know that their appearance changed, in part due to the "Chinese Whispers" mechanism. How do these changes amend the effect of the symbols? (I nearly typed "system" instead of "symbols" there. OK - how do these changes amend the effect of the system?)

The way the initiations where performed. And very important techniqes also.

If i initiate you with a swastika, or the symbols for plutonium, for sure, as i have the Reiki connection, there'd be some effect. We can do this once we're empowered, i feel. however, it won't be the symbols Usui sensei choose for us. He didn't pick them, empower them, cause he liked the shapes, Smile . Other things in Japan, like Kuji-kiri, are basically drawing shapes in the air, that bring certian results. Kinda interesting that. Yet, they are set shapes, drew in a certain way.

Pandora wrote:

I've been interested in getting Takata sensei's teachings for about two years now. Some is in the public domain, but a lot isn't. So there's more to this, Smile . If it's worth it, a person will work hard for it. Isn't that a principle? Hehe.

Pandora wrote:

Initially, it may seem that way. Although, Takata sensei's Reiki 1 classes were only a few hours per day anyhow. This is the entry into Reiki. What a student can do after that, is diligently practice techniques, and experienc einsights about the techniques.

I know why you're mentioning this, Smile. A student will want value for their money. It's a reason why folks felt they have to bulk Reiki up. If we first place great importance on the initiaitons in Level 1, really, this alone is worth far more than any Level 1 full course price. If we can properly relay how special, how much of a blessing this is, to be possibly permanetely have the ability to expereince an aspect of the divine. Jeepers, it's fantastic! Then, post-class, a teacher can have set 'modules' for the student to complete. Becoming familiar with techniques, concepts, terms. And come back and see the teacher after a time. All included in thhe price.

Pandora wrote:
    Everything else - the breathing exercises, for example - seem to have been taught differently at different times by her.

Were they?

Pandora wrote:
    Are they really part of Reiki?

Takata sensei taught as Hayahsi sensei taught her. And, Hayashi sensie being a man of honour, he taught a system he credited as being Usui senseis'. So yeah, they are a prt of Reiki, Smile . Well, Usui Shiki Ryoho.

Pandora wrote:
    I'm presently reading Frank Arjava Petter's Usui Manual, with the 3 pillars of Reiki - gassho, reiji, hand positions. Did she teach gassho and reiji?

Gassho is a gesture. I Dunno if she taught Gassho Meisho, etc. Which is a meditiation.

She taught Reiji Ho.

Pandora wrote:
    If Mrs Takata changed what Usui taught and still called it Reiki, why do people look down on others who do that?

confused

What did she change? Like is said, the changes could very well be down to the students. Some folks aren't good at note-taking. I've been to a few oral classes in things, it's not easy! And if one doesn't take notes, it's not easy tryng to remember things. Sometimes slight inacuracies become commonn practice, and before long, a perosn doesn't realise the mistake.

Takata sensei always said she taught as Hayashi sensei taught (course, we gotta gve her the same luxury all teachers get, having the authority to subtly change things to suit different classes or individuals perhaps). The most important thing, irrespective of what many might think is true (not suggesting you are one, Smile ), is that Takata sensei had no competition in Reiki. There was no-one even close to being competition. Takata sensei had no reason to lie about anything.

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:01 am

Milarepa wrote:
    What did she change? Like is said, the changes could very well be down to the students. Some folks aren't good at note-taking. I've been to a few oral classes in things, it's not easy! And if one doesn't take notes, it's not easy tryng to remember things. Sometimes slight inacuracies become commonn practice, and before long, a perosn doesn't realise the mistake.

If I'm not mistaken, and it is very possible I am, didn't Takata disallow note taking?
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:23 am

Hi Chris cheers

Pandora wrote:Putting my "adult education" teacher's hat on here...

There are also at least a couple of sets of notes written by some of her students, (presumably just after the actual class) which also provide pieces to the jigsaw and some snippets/quotes in various books about Hawayo Takata.

2. Reiki principles.

Anything else, it is just not possible to be certain of.

Just one element (techniques/meditations) short of the Steines' Five Elements of Reiki! Smile

Correct! Reiki should be simple to learn but it can be difficult to master! Very Happy

Everything else - the breathing exercises, for example - seem to have been taught differently at different times by her. Are they really part of Reiki?

Well Hawayo Takata was certainly taught a breathing technique, which she calls 'kokiyu ho' in her diary and she also mentions Leiji Ho (which is how Reiji ho may sound when spoken by a Japanese person) in the same entry.

In another diary entry she says: "Sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, concentrate on (y)our thought and relax. Close your hands together and wait for the sign." This sounds a lot like gassho. But whether she actually taught other people these techniques is another question! Neutral

confused

Maybe because some people add extra bits into the system that were not originally there and forget to let their students know that these parts are add-ins but Mrs Takata may have left out some parts or "simplified" the way she taught and I think that makes a difference. Also, I would imagine that most good teachers will adapt the way they teach to the most appropriate learning style of their students and this may mean giving the same or similar information in different ways, which could be perceived as changes.

Anyway, it seems Wayne has jumped in above me because my evening meal was ready in the middle of my writing this post so I hope I am not duplicating too much here! Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 am

Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, and it is very possible I am, didn't Takata disallow note taking?

No, she didn't allow taking down of symbols. note-taking wasn't prohibited in of itself, although she preferred students not to take notes. they were free to take notes after class. some did.

I know myself, in classes i was allowed to take notes in, it's hard enough, never mind taking notes after class!

take care
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:53 am

Colin wrote:

Anyway, it seems Wayne has jumped in above me because my evening meal was ready in the middle of my writing this post so I hope I am not duplicating too much here! Smile

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

aha! i was waiting on my missus coming back so we can order a takeaway, so i worked ahead on my new super-computer. Called WOPR. I use it only for certain topic. Rolf! lol!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Rlei_ki wrote:I thought some folks might be interested in this .pdf file version of a Reiki News article (2007):

by Marianne Streich

Smile

Thanks James. I just picked up a book by Helen Haberly
    "Hawayo Takada's Story" in it she talks about Takata's teaching
    style. It's interesting and similiar to M. Streich's writing

Barbara "Lincoln" McCullough I was unable to trace her cause I
    did not have her middle name. Once I added Lincoln I was able
    to follow the rest of the folks in my lineage. sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:13 am