Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+3
o0wabi-sabi0o
Pandora
Reikijim
7 posters

The Business of Spiritualism

Reikijim
    Reikijim

The Business of Spiritualism Empty The Business of Spiritualism

Post by Reikijim Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:37 am

Hi Folks, Smile

I`m more than a little concerned with some, not all, of the advertisements I see offered on the internet regarding Reiki. They appear to me, at least, to be more business, than spiritual, or healing for that matter.

I treated people professionally, in Reiki, for a very short time, a few months. In that time I discovered some things. It became apparent that I could be successful in this, both in regard to the client`s state of health and well being, and in regard to my own sustenance. Some treatments were, focused in the physical, but the mental/emotional clients were showing up at my door in a constant stream.

Clients would report that treatments were very effective. So much so, that our interaction motivated them to consider making substantial life changes. Things like.... leaving their job, but not yet having a plan to satisfy the financial commitments of paying their mortgage, and putting food on the table for their loved ones. Things like....leaving their spouse, as the Reiki experience had led them to the “self realization” that their partner did not compliment their growth, or had prevented them from obtaining personal peace. Again, the realization of these situations that they perceived, as not serving them any longer, had serious ramifications for their family members, including their kids.

It would seem that Reiki, became an experience of self-realization. I felt this was treating the problem, and not the symptoms...I still believe this.

Self realization can become a serious situation, if one is not empowered, on certain levels, to support the changes required, which one may become aware of.

The choices are for the client to make. I would not be responsible, as I kept my mouth shut, treated them with Reiki and offered limited, objective, verbal support....limited, objective...I`m going to say it twice. When people are in this state of change, vulnerable, somewhat unsure of their path, one must be careful not to lead another, yet must not make the client feel abandoned at the same time. This is a fine line. There is an opportunity to make a mistake here, in regard to projecting, what from your perspective, is the right choice. Your perspective in this situation may have little place, or merit, as the consequences and benefits of change will not be realized by you.

So, I quit charging money for Reiki. I left the spa, worked with fewer people. I felt I need more time, more growth, and more wisdom, more...life experience.

We as Reiki, at times, are the facilitators of change. We do more than treat physical pain and suffering.
    As the facilitators of change, there is a degree of responsibility one cannot ignore in regard to our clients.

I feel Reiki is a spiritual path. This is a truth with me. Through this, we are blessed with abilities, to help others become closer to finding a life, where they realize more happiness and compassion...more peaceful co existence.

So....

How effective can we be in this, if we choose to teach Reiki through the internet, offering distance attunements, and contact through e-mail only?

How effective can we be, if we take all our attunements in three months and immediately hang out a shingle claiming to be able to heal people?

How effective can we be in this.....If we view it as a BUSINESS first, and a BLESSING second?

Who are we serving, ourselves, or our clients?

As a recipient of this blessing, do we have a responsibility to Reiki?

As facilitators of self-realization, do we not need to be aware and respectful of, the change we assist in promoting?

The internet is, at times, a damaging medium in regard to how Reiki is being presented. I see sites that claim great things, prices are first and foremost on the homepage, with little background and no investigation as to where a perspective client is at in life.
    In my opinion, this is an irresponsible method. It takes advantage of those who may be lacking direction, or those who are possibly in pain.

Some people come to Reiki, looking only for a new life experience, an opportunity to grow. Honestly people have come to me for attunements because they have heard it`s similar to getting “high’...great what ever...have a nice day with that line of thinking. I`ve got a website for you. Yet...some come to us in trouble, real trouble, mentally or physically. I just do not see how a business oriented web site can help these folks....business can be sincere...but at times it`s not.

Once again, I must offer, that there are sites offered by responsible people with the best of intentions, yet also, there are sites that are run by self serving individuals...I have a problem with the latter category. Furthermore, what i write here is directed at no individual that I know personally, or have communicated with. There are countless Reiki sites offering many things on the net...Some just seem to be irresponsible on a ridiculous level.

As per usual, I offer this in hopes of developing a clearer more positive, understanding of something which looks questionable. Please, agree or disagree, regardless...Let me know what you think.

RJ Smile

Last edited by Reikijim on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my smiley was messed up)
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

The Business of Spiritualism Empty Re: The Business of Spiritualism

Post by Pandora Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Firstly, Jim, I'd be happier if you changed the title to "The Business of Reiki". Spiritualism in the UK at least is a religion and is not related to Reiki - indeed, some Spiritualists have the same attitude to Reiki as the RC Church does!

Secondly - and you may view this as a contradiction to what I've written above, however I am not a spiritualist. I am, however, a spiritual healer, teacher and assessor for an organisation in the UK, and our syllabus covers all the sorts of support, counselling and life coaching that your post refers to. None of which are covered at all in any of the syllabuses that I've seen for Reiki teaching.

Over the past year I've had a student who asked me to teach her in both healing modalities, and it's given me the same sort of insight as I think you're getting at. Combining the two means - to me - that the Reiki tuition is enhanced, while the spiritual side is enhanced by the practice (and protection etc) of Reiki.

I'm envisaging writing a combined syllabus, but I've shied away from it because (a) I don't think I'm in the right place at the moment (but I now have a being at my shoulder telling me "pull the other one"!) and (b) I'll upset the Reiki community and I think I might upset the spiritual healing organisation, which I really don't want to do as they accredit the SH course and provide my insurance.

Reiki changes lives and situations, and I can attest to that (have posted in another place on here as to how). Reiki Masters have some form of responsibility for this, but I have yet to come across any form of Reiki, Traditional or otherwise, that is explicit about that. While I accept that we cannot be responsible for the spiritual growth of our students - only they can do that - we can be responsible for how we support our students along their spiritual path. This will definitely be different for Western students, as it will be different for Japanese students, for Indian students, because of the cultural differences, and that's one reason why I don't feel traditional Japanese Reiki systems are entirely appropriate for Westerners to follow.

Thanks for the post Jim, you're a catalyst in more ways than one!
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 am

How effective can we be in this, if we choose to teach Reiki through the internet, offering distance attunements, and contact through e-mail only?

Let me put it this way: I would have NEVER heard about Reiki if not for the internet. I would have NEVER been Attuned if not for the internet. My only source of information thus far, in Buddhism, spirituality in general, and Reiki, has been the internet.

Why? I have extremely bad Body Dysmorophic Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder. I was completely housebound. I even avoided my family, didn't want them to see me, and I had lived with them all my life... Reiki has helped me in this.

All the ways I've grown in the past 7 or so years, since I was 13 and first came across a Buddhist forum, have been because of the internet.

I've learned so much from various teachers online, not just in Reiki.

And as you know I DO offer Distance Attunements. Precisely for this reason. There are so many people who CAN'T get Attunements where they live, for various reasons, from geography to Social Anxiety Disorder.

If I did not feel it was effective I wouldn't do it. But as I've experienced spirituality facilitated by various online teachers, and experienced Reiki firsthand through Distance...

One of my best friends I've only ever spoken to through e-mail. Spiritual connections don't require face-to-face contact. That's something we learn in Reiki. Smile

How effective can we be, if we take all our attunements in three months and immediately hang out a shingle claiming to be able to heal people?

Now you see, this is the issue with most online Attunements. Sometimes people are doing this for free, or for hundreds of dollars. But this happens in real life too, doesn't it? Weekend Reiki retreats and the like. Suspect

Admittedly one of my teachers taught me NOTHING. He sent me a manual and Attuned me without ensuring I read it. Luckily I understood the responsibility and chose to keep studying rather than go out and use Reiki right away. Because I strongly feel that "Attunements" refer not only to the Attunement ritual but to the studying/training involved as well, and once you're Attuned, you have a responsibility to keep on studying.

Personally in my courses, it would be impossible to complete in three months. I have each section of my manual divided into lessons, with "homework" at the end which often includes firsthand practice that must be documented. There are certain requirements before going on to the next level, and requirements before even being Attuned to the level they're taking.

There are forums and Youtube videos and the like offering free Attunements. SOME toss a manual at you and HOPE you read it. The thing is, these people see what they're doing as being kind and generous... what they don't realize is that if you're going to do Reiki for free you still have to be willing to take each student on as a STUDENT, to guide them and ensure they know all they need to know, to help them develop... but now there are people coming to these forums every day, saying "I'm Attuned, now what?" and it makes me a very sad panda. Sad

Now the funny thing is... up until the past week I've only ever taught people and done Reiki for free. The only thing that's changed that is that I have a baby on the way and am THIS close to being homeless, so I charge an incredibly small fee for my TIME (if you've seen my manuals/courses you'll know I feel a lot of responsibility for each student and put a lot of effort into what I do), because, well, I do need to make a living. Yet I still explain on my website NOT to turn away if they can't afford it, because I'm a stupid sap who could never turn it into a proper business. lol! Ironically I've yet to charge anyone but have received unexpected and generous donations from quite a few of my students after the course/Attunement.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:04 am

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:

Why? I have extremely bad Body Dysmorophic Disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder. I was completely housebound. I even avoided my family, didn't want them to see me, and I had lived with them all my life... Reiki has helped me in this.

Please post you're journey in Reiki catalyst' section please?
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:35 am

Mmm perhaps. Gotta make manicotti first. lol!
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:03 am

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:How effective can we be in this, if we choose to teach Reiki through the internet, offering distance attunements, and contact through e-mail only?

Let me put it this way: I would have NEVER heard about Reiki if not for the internet. I would have NEVER been Attuned if not for the internet. My only source of information thus far, in Buddhism, spirituality in general, and Reiki, has been the internet

All the ways I've grown in the past 7 or so years, since I was 13 and first came across a Buddhist forum, have been because of the internet.

I've learned so much from various teachers online, not just in Reiki.

And as you know I DO offer Distance Attunements. Precisely for this reason. There are so many people who CAN'T get Attunements where they live, for various reasons, from geography to Social Anxiety Disorder.

If I did not feel it was effective I wouldn't do it. But as I've experienced spirituality facilitated by various online teachers, and experienced Reiki firsthand through Distance...

One of my best friends I've only ever spoken to through e-mail. Spiritual connections don't require face-to-face contact. That's something we learn in Reiki. Smile

Ah...It all makes sense now...I mean, how you present yourself. I felt you, as a very well studied, very intelligent, relatively young, individual....You seem to be very sure of what you say, and, at times, in my opinion, do not seem to consider others viewpoints with much depth or time invested. People will challenge your perceptions at this site, it`s another avenue of learning, and why we are here. I sense defensiveness in your post...

"Spiritual connections do not require face to face contact"...your words...

But they are enhanced by them...

Considering what Reiki teaches us...Distance attunements work, although I`ve never experienced one. Personally, I think an attunement in person, to be more desirable.

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:How effective can we be, if we take all our attunements in three months and immediately hang out a shingle claiming to be able to heal people?

Now you see, this is the issue with most online Attunements. Sometimes people are doing this for free, or for hundreds of dollars. But this happens in real life too, doesn't it? Weekend Reiki retreats and the like. Suspect

Admittedly one of my teachers taught me NOTHING. He sent me a manual and Attuned me without ensuring I read it. Luckily I understood the responsibility and chose to keep studying rather than go out and use Reiki right away. Because I strongly feel that "Attunements" refer not only to the Attunement ritual but to the studying/training involved as well, and once you're Attuned, you have a responsibility to keep on studying.

I do not remember saying that irresponsible teachers were restricted to the internet medium only. Unmotivated teachers are everywhere, on the net, and next door for that matter.

You might want to re-read some of my post...As I said...It was not directed to any individual i`ve had personal communication with...I`ve had personal communication with you...that`s a fact. Yet your comments read to me like i have directed this post to you...that`s an error in perception, either on my part or yours...no big deal...yes?
    I was invited here to be a moderator. One of my responsibilities is to stimulate conversation...Another responsibility is to keep it friendly and respectful. I attempt to get people to bring their ideas and opinions forth...Sometimes with this, comes misinterpretation and hurt feelings...never my intention, but it happens. I try and solve this in a reasonable manner, if/when it may occur.

The finer points of communication can be/are lost, through the internet. Disagreements abound... The tone of voice, body language and energies radiated, all play a role in how we perceive another`s attempt at communication. Not everyone has the ability to write in a manner that projects exactly what their intention was in the communication. This also plays a role in the limitations of teaching Reiki on line...

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    Personally in my courses, it would be impossible to complete in three months. I have each section of my manual divided into lessons, with "homework" at the end which often includes firsthand practice that must be documented. There are certain requirements before going on to the next level, and requirements before even being Attuned to the level they're taking.

There are forums and Youtube videos and the like offering free Attunements. SOME toss a manual at you and HOPE you read it. The thing is, these people see what they're doing as being kind and generous... what they don't realize is that if you're going to do Reiki for free you still have to be willing to take each student on as a STUDENT, to guide them and ensure they know all they need to know, to help them develop... but now there are people coming to these forums every day, saying "I'm Attuned, now what?" and it makes me a very sad panda. Sad

Now the funny thing is... up until the past week I've only ever taught people and done Reiki for free. The only thing that's changed that is that I have a baby on the way and am THIS close to being homeless, so I charge an incredibly small fee for my TIME (if you've seen my manuals/courses you'll know I feel a lot of responsibility for each student and put a lot of effort into what I do), because, well, I do need to make a living. Yet I still explain on my website NOT to turn away if they can't afford it, because I'm a stupid sap who could never turn it into a proper business. lol! Ironically I've yet to charge anyone but have received unexpected and generous donations from quite a few of my students after the course/Attunement.

My friend...

It would seem that you present your teachings in a responsible manor. It would seem that you do take what you offer seriously...this is impressive, and as it should be. If you offer "the goods", and support your students with as much time, effort and knowledge as possible, then I would not think twice in charging more for what you offer. Reiki is a valuable thing...always...
    Separately...If one teaches responsibly, it does Reiki a service. I would rather see a responsible teacher charge more, and continue teaching, than starve and go back to a different way of generating income.

I do appreciate your input in this. I know there are people who offer a great service in teaching through the internet. And yes, this medium can get to those who are isolated for various reasons. All good stuff...and I`m glad that you are here and share your experiences and ideas with us. As I said above, you have studied hard and have much to share.

I look forward to talking with you more...

with respect...

Smile RJ

Last edited by Reikijim on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : my smily ws messed up again!)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:45 am

Just one point to make, about prices.

I think it's always best to not to lower prices. I know, practitioners can feel awkward bout money, but really, a person is paying to avail of a skill, as much as time itself. Even in martial arts, ewtc, we're taught not to ever lower the price, but to keep it the same as others, or, increase it.

It's a fact, if i could afford a $1000 watch, i'd buy it any day, over a $50 one. People do associate quality with price. Not suggesting Wabi's course is crap, i don't know that at all. Reading wabi's dilemma about prices, we can all appreciate. However, we all got a right to live. And since time immemorial, folks have gave others value for their skill. Especially in wabi's situation, this seems more valid than ever, Smile.

I've took, what i feel personally, is one of the best distancs courses on the interent, notwithstanding i don't agree with the content a bit, Smile. I'm more than happy to share the whole thing with you Wabi, it might give you some useful ideas on how to make your courses better than they already are, Smile.

Personally, i don't feel any kind of distance training is preferable to in-person training, although you're (wabi) trying your best to help your situation. If this little gesture helps you, it'll help you're students, and the whole thing will be cool. I've got full permission to share the stuff, i ask that no plagerism occurs, even unwittingly. All the info is in the public domain anyhow. His teaching format is what may give you some ideas, i think.

Let me know,
    Wayne
    o0wabi-sabi0o
    o0wabi-sabi0o

Post by o0wabi-sabi0o Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:10 am

I've took, what i feel personally, is one of the best distancs courses on the interent, notwithstanding i don't agree with the content a bit, . I'm more than happy to share the whole thing with you Wabi, it might give you some useful ideas on how to make your courses better than they already are, .

Wayne, if you'd be willing I'd love to hear any input... I'm in the middle of rewriting my manual right now in fact. What IM service do you use?

You seem to be very sure of what you say, and, at times, in my opinion, do not seem to consider others viewpoints with much depth or time invested. People will challenge your perceptions at this site, it`s another avenue of learning, and why we are here. I sense defensiveness in your post...

I'm sorry but I don't understand why this is being brought up again? I was asked to let it go. I have no problem with my views being challenged as that is how I've learned so much. I said in one of my first posts here, that I've learned so much from this forum through hearing other's ideas and views - i.e. considering others viewpoints with MUCH time invested and MUCH openness.

Let me put it this way: my opinion and personal experiences were repeatedly challenged seemingly for the sake of it, to have me question my own beliefs. It was entirely one-sided and extremely exhausting. I challenge my own beliefs every day. I'm challenging my own beliefs simply by discussing Reiki with others and reading other theories and continuing to practice myself. I flat out said that "I don't claim to -know- much of anything" and "I've explained that what I believe contradicts everything I was taught (and believed), contradicts nearly every standard piece of dogma associated with Reiki, and that I came to my conclusions through personal experience. Does that mean I interpreted it correctly? Not necessarily. I imagine, as always, my perspective and understanding will continue to shift."

I do not understand how this would suggest I do not consider others' viewpoints with much depth. On the contrary, I am constantly interested in hearing others' views and challenging my own. I REQUESTED another's views... But I was not being offered another's views, and often denied them flat-out...

Wayne and I have talked since and the issue is past. We are BFF. lol! To me there was nothing personal to begin with.

My first post in this Thread wasn't defensive at all. This one admittedly is, because I now feel I have to: I shared a rather personal experience and recieve a response "ah, that's why you're so *insert various negative adjectives and personal criticisms*." Neutral

I do not remember saying that irresponsible teachers were restricted to the internet medium only. Unmotivated teachers are everywhere, on the net, and next door for that matter.

I never said you did. I was simply making an observation.

The finer points of communication can be/are lost, through the internet. Disagreements abound... The tone of voice, body language and energies radiated, all play a role in how we perceive another`s attempt at communication. Not everyone has the ability to write in a manner that projects exactly what their intention was in the communication. This also plays a role in the limitations of teaching Reiki on line...

They are indeed. And my post above had absolutely no defensiveness, no maliciousness, or anything similar.

You might want to re-read some of my post...As I said...It was not directed to any individual i`ve had personal communication with...I`ve had personal communication with you...that`s a fact. Yet your comments read to me like i have directed this post to you...that`s an error in perception, either on my part or yours...no big deal...yes?

I never suggested it was directed at me. But as I offer online courses I felt I could offer another perspective. No big deal, yes.

I think I'm going to take a break from here for a while, guys. It's clear there's some bias towards me atm and I'd just rather not get involved in this sort of thing. I'll observe from a difference.

Take care~
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:38 am

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    Wayne, if you'd be willing I'd love to hear any input... I'm in the middle of rewriting my manual right now in fact. What IM service do you use?

I got Yahoo messenger. skype is good for what we gotta do though. MSN is crap for the files!

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    Wayne and I have talked since and the issue is past. We are BFF. lol! To me there was nothing personal to begin with.

This is true, Smile.

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    I think I'm going to take a break from here for a while, guys. It's clear there's some bias towards me atm and I'd just rather not get involved in this sort of thing. I'll observe from a difference.

that's fine if you wish, Smile. I wish you would stay though. I know how easy it is to feel on forums there's bias against onesself, i felt like this many times also.

I know for a fact there's none agaainst you, Wabi. you're very welcome here. In fact, and i hope the staff don't mind me saying this, it was actually ReikiJim whom first approached me about the way it was looking in my chat to you, Smile. Another admin has also been of the same opinion.

You bring a passion, and an ideal to the forum that i personally resonate with. and i'm not trying to be patronising when i say this, but i don't know how long you have been on forums, folks know i've been on them a heck of a lot, and am experienced in that respect. What i mean is, i see so much of the way i've been, in the past, in you, that resonates with me. i'm talking about that single-pointednes, focus, yearning to know.

RLL has always wanted to be unique. In-depth debate is a very important aspect of this. However, so is all members feeling comfortable. The skill needed, is that we need to be able to let debaters, and folks wishing light-chat, to feel they are equally welcome. Of late, i know i personally haven't came up to the mark with that. It's the job of the staff to make all feel comfortable, and we have all been talking in private about this today.

you're VERY welcome here Wabi, Smile.

Take care
    Wayne

Last edited by Milarepa on Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:21 am

o0wabi-sabi0o wrote:
    I've took, what i feel personally, is one of the best distancs courses on the interent, notwithstanding i don't agree with the content a bit, . I'm more than happy to share the whole thing with you Wabi, it might give you some useful ideas on how to make your courses better than they already are, .

You seem to be very sure of what you say, and, at times, in my opinion, do not seem to consider others viewpoints with much depth or time invested. People will challenge your perceptions at this site, it`s another avenue of learning, and why we are here. I sense defensiveness in your post...

I'm sorry but I don't understand why this is being brought up again? I was asked to let it go. I have no problem with my views being challenged as that is how I've learned so much. I said in one of my first posts here, that I've learned so much from this forum through hearing other's ideas and views - i.e. considering others viewpoints with MUCH time invested and MUCH openness.

Let me put it this way: my opinion and personal experiences were repeatedly challenged seemingly for the sake of it, to have me question my own beliefs. It was entirely one-sided and extremely exhausting. I challenge my own beliefs every day. I'm challenging my own beliefs simply by discussing Reiki with others and reading other theories and continuing to practice myself. I flat out said that "I don't claim to -know- much of anything" and "I've explained that what I believe contradicts everything I was taught (and believed), contradicts nearly every standard piece of dogma associated with Reiki, and that I came to my conclusions through personal experience. Does that mean I interpreted it correctly? Not necessarily. I imagine, as always, my perspective and understanding will continue to shift."

I do not understand how this would suggest I do not consider others' viewpoints with much depth. On the contrary, I am constantly interested in hearing others' views and challenging my own. I REQUESTED another's views... But I was not being offered another's views, and often denied them flat-out...

My first post in this Thread wasn't defensive at all. This one admittedly is, because I now feel I have to: I shared a rather personal experience and recieve a response "ah, that's why you're so *insert various negative adjectives and personal criticisms*." Neutral

I never said you did. I was simply making an observation.

They are indeed. And my post above had absolutely no defensiveness, no maliciousness, or anything similar.

I never suggested it was directed at me. But as I offer online courses I felt I could offer another perspective. No big deal, yes.

Take care~

You will perceive things as you will perceive them....That`s true in regard to all of us...

Personally I`m feeling like a "scape goat" and have had enough of this as well. When someone comes out very opinionated and then recoils into a victim role i have a habit of wondering as to what is really going on. I read every post you have made since coming to this forum. I do not feel that i personally attacked you. I was trying to point out how you appear to me.If you think I`m the bad guy i cannot change that.

If you had chosen to see any validity in the other comments, very positive comments, i might add, directed towards you, your post would have more validity to me at this moment.

I think it`s interesting that Wayne and I have both found ourselves in this position with you, considering that we talk with many, and this has not come to the fore front previously.

This place makes most question their own beliefs, including myself, I have learned much about myself and Reiki through interaction in forums, and I see nothing wrong with that. In a larger light, it`s how the human race and society in general evolve and learn. If you find my approach unpalatable, very well, I will no longer involve myself in conversations that you engage in.

All are welcome here...that`s for sure

The situation with you, Wayne and myself is dripping with drama that has no place at this site. I`m gonna let this post stand for a couple of days so all can read it then I`m going to delete it, as it has nothing to do with the topic at this point.

Possibly how I conduct myself is offending others as well, if so, please...all that feel this way, can send me a pm, in regard to their feelings.

The survival and success of this forum is the most important thing, as I feel,
    that sharing opinions and then to discuss,interpret, them to be important. I will withdraw as moderator if this is what is the right thing to do. I have no problem with that decision.
    Sorry, but I`m not gonna roll over and play dead...I have although, had enough of this situation

with regrets

RJ
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi Folks,

Pandora, Bridget and i got a little off topic...talking of the definitions of "spiritual/spiritualist, and organizations involved in these endeavors... So...I did my moderator thing...and moved the conversation to

www.reikilearninglounge.com/the-coffee-bar-f17/interesting-spiritual-spiritualist-organnizationscoffeebar-t469.htm

here!

have a look, and have fun Very Happy

Smile RJ

Last edited by Reikijim on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling...wish I could blame my eye sight,..... but no it`s my brain....)
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:12 am

Milarepa wrote:Just one point to make, about prices.

I think it's always best to not to lower prices. I know, practitioners can feel awkward bout money, but really, a person is paying to avail of a skill, as much as time itself. Even in martial arts, ewtc, we're taught not to ever lower the price, but to keep it the same as others, or, increase it.

It's a fact, if i could afford a $1000 watch, i'd buy it any day, over a $50 one. People do associate quality with price. Not suggesting Wabi's course is crap, i don't know that at all. Reading wabi's dilemma about prices, we can all appreciate. However, we all got a right to live. And since time immemorial, folks have gave others value for their skill. Especially in wabi's situation, this seems more valid than ever, Smile.

I've took, what i feel personally, is one of the best distancs courses on the interent, notwithstanding i don't agree with the content a bit, Smile. I'm more than happy to share the whole thing with you Wabi, it might give you some useful ideas on how to make your courses better than they already are, Smile.

Personally, i don't feel any kind of distance training is preferable to in-person training, although you're (wabi) trying your best to help your situation. If this little gesture helps you, it'll help you're students, and the whole thing will be cool. I've got full permission to share the stuff, i ask that no plagerism occurs, even unwittingly. All the info is in the public domain anyhow. His teaching format is what may give you some ideas, i think.

Let me know,
    Wayne

you would buy a thousand pound watch over a fifty quid one!! are you stoopid?? scratch

what would a thousand pound watch do for you that a fifty quider wouldn't?? make the coffee??

I think it is a HUGE misconception to ascotiate higher pricing with higher/better quality.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:33 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:

you would buy a thousand pound watch over a fifty quid one!! are you stoopid?? scratch

If i could afford £1000 for a watch, then yeah, i'd be stupid and buy it, hehe. The craftmanship of the innerworkings, and perhaps the metals used also, provide a superior item.

I bet you're not sitting on a £50 sofa sharon. What would a £50 sofa do for you that a £700 one wouldn't? geek

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:
    I think it is a HUGE misconception to ascotiate higher pricing with higher/better quality.

At times maybe. I know when i buy primark shoes for my kids at school, they last weeks. buying more expensive ones last months. I bought a bleeding jacket outta primark for my daughter, zipper went 2nd day. I bought a pair of shorts for myself, crotch went first day. exhcanged them, went first day again.

if the world thinks this way about quality, and Reiki folks lower prices, there's a possiblity that a large majority will assume the course is inferior. It's basic marketing to usually at least offer what you're competitiors are.

I know someone wohm bought GHd staighteners. They are fake. Inside, any elctrician will tell you it's inferior components. They still work, but they wager the longevity is subtsantially less.

take care
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:55 pm

Pricing for Reiki services/classes can be tricky. I am personally of the viewpoint that I want to make my Reiki sessions/classes affordable because I want more people to have the opportunity to try it and benefit from it. I do a monthly donation-only clinic, in addition to my private practice, and also do a "Reiki Day" at the chiropractic office where I rent space during their office hours to allow their patients to receive short Reiki sessions at a very reduced price. I would never turn away anyone who truly needed the Reiki and I will work out pricing arrangements for people on limited income. I have often been surprised by unexpected generosity from people, which is truly a blessing.

Granted, I already have a day job and don't require the money I make from Reiki in order to pay for the roof off my head, but I know of plenty of Reiki practitioners in a similar position to me who charge quite a bit for their services. And even if I was doing this as my sole source of income I would still do the donation/free clinic model to allow people of limited financial means (or curiosity about Reiki) the opportunity to try it. My first experience receiving energy healing was free and I don't know that I could ever repay that gift - it was a profound experience.

As far as teaching goes, I am beginning to rethink my class syllabus and structure because I feel like my students can use even more time to practice and develop their sensitivity. I don't teach that often but part of that is because I felt like I needed to step back and just focus on practicing for a while. Teaching is such a huge responsibility, and I take it pretty seriously. I provide an open door for my students to always come back with questions or tell me about their experiences and I try to hold Reiki circles for my students to allow them time to practice in community with each other. But I only teach I&II right now - I am not yet ready to attune any Master students. I still have so much more to learn.

I had a potential Reiki student who made it clear from the get-go that he wanted to learn Reiki so that he could make money from sessions. I felt a lot of discomfort about it and I was frankly a bit relieved when he was frustrated that I could not teach him immediately (I did not have space reserved to do it as soon as he wanted to) and he went to another teacher I'd recommended. I have no grudge against someone who wants to pursue it professionally, but I feel like you can't take a class one weekend and then start selling your services the next. There is a spiritual aspect to Reiki that takes time to know intimately, and there's also the issue of practice.

Just my .02 cents!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Dragonfly wrote:
    I had a potential Reiki student who made it clear from the get-go that he wanted to learn Reiki so that he could make money from sessions. I felt a lot of discomfort about it and I was frankly a bit relieved when he was frustrated that I could not teach him immediately (I did not have space reserved to do it as soon as he wanted to) and he went to another teacher I'd recommended. I have no grudge against someone who wants to pursue it professionally, but I feel like you can't take a class one weekend and then start selling your services the next. There is a spiritual aspect to Reiki that takes time to know intimately, and there's also the issue of practice.

I agree with you Dana. Not sure if i mentioned in this thread, but i'd another Reiki teacher whom came ot see me the other week. A Kenyan guy. He said everyone in his class was there to make money, kinda put him off things. He was there to learn to help others.

Whether it was Reiki, yoga, and now self-defence classes for me, cahs isn't the primary aim. Having said that, what i've learned from James ray, is that there's nothing wrong with making cash, and trying to be succesful, i'm pretty comofrtable witht he idea of cash (or anything else), there was a time i was hugely uncomfrtable. I think we can all relate to that!

take care
    Wayne
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:22 pm

well it goes without saying that some things are cheap AND nasty.....clothes shoes furniture.....but you also get expensive and nasty.....price does not always reflect the quality ......Particularly when it comes to courses and therapies....

( the whole idea that more expense equates to better quality, is societal conditioning...and clearly it works 'cos people have become brainwashed!)

I have paid a lot of money for various courses over the years....and that money has in no way been a reflection of what was on offer!....was I left pissed-off??.you bet.

some of the most beautiful and profound healing experiences I have ever had have been for free.... FREE FREEEEE i tell ya!!
    Laughing

now I'm not suggesting that people should offer all their services for free, after all we all have to put bread on the table......but like dragonfly, I think its helpful to keep your prices down so as to benefit those that need it most..

I have offered holistic therapies at a VERY reasonable price because I want single mothers and those struggling a little financially to be able to have a good therapeutic pamper within their reach... I don't want to treat the worried wealthy.......I want to treat the needy paupers! flower

when it comes to Reiki I don't charge at all any more.....if people feel the need to offer me something in return then I'll glady accept..... I don't teach, but if I did I would definately keep the price within a realsitic and practical limit for those wishing to learn........

and what are you really teaching anyway??...its ,more of a wake-up call we are offering... we are helping to draw back the curtains on the windows to the soul.....

( I get cheesier by the day)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:48 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:
    I have paid a lot of money for various courses over the years....and that money has in no way been a reflection of what was on offer!....was I left pissed-off??.you bet.

totally agree with you. My own experience with the 'Masters Master' left me paying back a very substantial loan. For a completely useless course.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:53 pm

I almost borrowed 10 grand to do a healing course over over 4 years!!....thank goodness I saw the light after the first 1700 pound weekend course....EEK!

some people work from their pockets and NOT from their hearts.... sadly.. No
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:I almost borrowed 10 grand to do a healing course over over 4 years!!....thank goodness I saw the light after the first 1700 pound weekend course....EEK!

some people work from their pockets and NOT from their hearts.... sadly.. No

you talking bout Reiki Alliance? I'd really be interested in why you decided aginast it. Either on here, or in pm. I'm genuinely interested in others views on this.

Edit: if the weekend course was £1700 i doubt it was Alliance?
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:58 pm

no it was spiritual healing of a different lable....
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:59 pm

Can you say what? I'm rela curious now bout the price tag.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:03 am

I just wrote another post but it hasn't showed up......I won't diss the person who's course it was out here, but I'll explain a little in pm....have to do that later thoough I need to get some housework done now....grrrr
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:04 am

Ok, cool.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:02 am

I decided not to drop my prices, which (depending on your point of view) are either too much or too little! I did decide, however, to balance it out with my voluntary work at the hospice. And I'm getting money coming in whereas before I had none - go figure, as they say!
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:11 am

Pandora wrote:I decided not to drop my prices, which (depending on your point of view) are either too much or too little! I did decide, however, to balance it out with my voluntary work at the hospice. And I'm getting money coming in whereas before I had none - go figure, as they say!

i'd bet, with your academic background, your manuals etc, are pretty good?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 6:58 am