Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
LightBody
vijaybali
chi_solas
Pandora
Shakti ~ Rising
9 posters

what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future??

Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future?? Empty what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future??

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 am

okkee dokkeee dohkkee.........new here just finding me bearings and can see there are a lot of threads on individual books....but sometimes it works better to have one thread with everyone sharing their current read and hopeful future read..then individual threads can sprout from really great books that have a shared interest.....

Im currently reading
    Dharma, Colour and Culture
    new voices in western buddhism
    edited by Hilda Gutierez baaldoquin

really enjoying it, I don't know a great deal about buddhism.. but this is an insight to which I can totally relate!!

recent past reads that I have thoroughly enjoyed and which I highly recommend...

Bones of The Master
    George Crane.....
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future?? Empty Re: what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future??

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:47 am

planning to read in the future??....absolutely loads!! but I can't recall them all right now, it's time for me bed!!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future?? Empty Re: what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future??

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:23 am

picked up
    Wild Ivy
    the spiritual autobiogrpahy
    of Zen Master
    Hakuin

browsing in a second hand shop...
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:12 pm

I'm currently trying to read "F**k it: the ultimate spiritual way" by John C Parkin.

It seems a really good book. However, I'm also trying to knit a serape and I find myself doing that more than reading!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:58 pm

reading is very time consuming...but I'm lucky in that I work in a very peaceful art gallery and get to catch up on a lot of reading... I love you

what is a serape?
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:46 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:reading is very time consuming...but I'm lucky in that I work in a very peaceful art gallery and get to catch up on a lot of reading... I love you

what is a serape?

lol... I knew someone would ask that!

It's a sort of wrap that is split down the front and you wrap it around yourself.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:10 am

a fancy word for shawl.. ahaha
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:45 am

I thought the book your reading
    was suppose to have humor in it.
    It sounds like its not holding your
    interest over the knitting sunny

A Mexican poncho /shawl
    Interesting word "serape"
    for me the word "rape" was
    very visual over the whole
    word "serape" also spelt "sarape" study
    vijaybali
    vijaybali

what are you reading??....plan on reading in the future?? Empty future

Post by vijaybali Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:36 am

hai friends,

i have plan to start to reading Srimad Bhagavad-Gita , i little bit explain about this.

" The Bhagavad- Gita is considered by eastern and western scholars alike to be among the greatest spiritual books the world has ever known. In a very clear and wonderful way the Supreme Lord Krishna describes the science of self-realization and the exact process by which a human being can establish their eternal relationship with God. In terms of pure, spiritual knowledge the Bhagavad- Gita is incomparable. Its intrinsic beauty is that its knowledge applies to all human beings and does not postulate any sectarian idealogy or secular view. It is appproachable from the sanctified realms of all religions and is glorified as the epitome of all spiritual teachings. This is because proficiency in the Bhagavad- Gita reveals the eternal principles which are fundamental and essential for spiritual life from all perspectives and allows one to perfectly understand the esoteric truths hidden within all religious scriptures. Many great thinkers from our times such as Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi and Albert Schweizer as well as Madhvacarya, Sankara and Ramanuja from bygone ages have all contemplated and deliberarted upon its timeless message. The primary purpose of the Bhagavad- Gita is to illuminate for all of humanity the realization of the true nature of divinity; for the highest spiritual conception and the greatest material perfection is to attain love of God".
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:16 am

vijaybali wrote:i have plan to start to reading Srimad Bhagavad-Gita , i little bit explain about this.

Hi vijaybali.

I read a Bhagavad-Gita some 20 years ago, probably in 1985 or so.

This week I finished two books:
    Breath: A Novel, by Tim Winton and
    Unaccustomed Earth, by Jhumpa Lahiri.

Breath is the coming of age tale of a teenage surfer-boy set in Australia. Unaccustomed Earth is a set of eight short stories about the life of a Hindu woman growing up in America. Both are excellent and I will be re-reading them sometime again next year.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:43 am

vijaybali wrote:hai friends,

i have plan to start to reading Srimad Bhagavad-Gita , i little bit explain about this.

" The Bhagavad- Gita is considered by eastern and western scholars alike to be among the greatest spiritual books the world has ever known. In a very clear and wonderful way the Supreme Lord Krishna describes the science of self-realization and the exact process by which a human being can establish their eternal relationship with God. In terms of pure, spiritual knowledge the Bhagavad- Gita is incomparable. Its intrinsic beauty is that its knowledge applies to all human beings and does not postulate any sectarian idealogy or secular view. It is appproachable from the sanctified realms of all religions and is glorified as the epitome of all spiritual teachings. This is because proficiency in the Bhagavad- Gita reveals the eternal principles which are fundamental and essential for spiritual life from all perspectives and allows one to perfectly understand the esoteric truths hidden within all religious scriptures. Many great thinkers from our times such as Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi and Albert Schweizer as well as Madhvacarya, Sankara and Ramanuja from bygone ages have all contemplated and deliberarted upon its timeless message. The primary purpose of the Bhagavad- Gita is to illuminate for all of humanity the realization of the true nature of divinity; for the highest spiritual conception and the greatest material perfection is to attain love of God".

Hi vj,

This sounds like something I would like to read...Thanks for bringing this info here to the forum...I was wondering if anyone knows how many times it`s been translated, and who`s translation is the best one to read?

Smile RJ

...nice profile pic Buck!!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 pm

I have a couple of versions also ( buried on my bookshelves somewhere)and an interesting wee book called The Yoga of the Bhagavad Gita by Paramahansa Yogananda...this book offers some interesting insights, you may find this helpful to read alongside what ever version you pick up RJ....

started reading DMT the Spirit Molecule, Rick Strassman yesterday...... I'm loving it... Cool
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:41 pm

I've got an early Christmas present thanks to the closing down of Borders bookshop. It's "A Course in Miracles", which I've been wanting to get since I first came across it about fifteen years ago. It's what I intend to read over Christmas. Anyone else read it?
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:44 am

heard of it, never read it.. you'll have to share your views when you've read it...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:50 am

Tried it last year, but since my ego thinks i'm so special already, i never carried on much, hehe.

I hear it's quite something though!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:23 am

thats the second time I've noticed you mention your ego today.....you battling with your different selves?? is your ego winning..or is your ego so sly that he can see that your spiritual self is rising so in order to stop it getting too attuned to its true nature is your ego telling you its your ego in order to use a bit of reverse psychology??.....ahahah...confused? i am
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:14 am

i'm wondering, is it my ego that's saying you're full of it, or is that merely my ego trying to disguise the fact that i'm the one full of it! Laughing most likely the latter!
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:50 am

perhaps a bit of both... Very Happy
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:52 am

Smile
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:27 am

started readin 2012 and beyond by dianna cooper today.....hmmmm mixed feelings from me some of the stuff resonates, but I seem to be shouting out bollocks quite a lot! ahahaha
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:30 am

ordered Cutting Through Spiritual Materialsim, Choygram Trungpa
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:40 am

what kinda 2012 stuff she say? Planet x/Nibiru? Cataclysms?
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:37 am

You can read some snippets online...she talks about alsorts Wayne, but in a very positive vein.....although again I kept getting the bollocks spouting going on......I was thinking about this book this morning.....There seems to be no real 'body' to it...I had the image of a wet lettuce leaf that was limp and wouldn't flutter on the wind.....there was so little of it's content to open my heart and get my excitement flowing...a dissapointment was what this book was....I have read some of her other books and absolutely loved them ( her fictional ones, with a spiritual theme) but this is the third book of hers now that I have read and felt spiritually deflated...I feel her view is narrowing as opposed to opening....for a start off I cannot stand names being given to guides, angels,'rulers of chakras' ect.....and I actually find her words rather leaning towards the christian and slightly partriachal way....they just don't resonate like I hoped they might....for someone of self-defined authority on certain subjects I feel she should go a little more indepth into the hows and whys of the things she claims to know....Quite frankly I could have wrote that book with my own knowledge based on research .......heheheh I'm not bitching , but it didn't cut the mustard.....no real deopth for me......

I started reading Physics of the Impossible by Mikio Kaku, now only a couple of pages in, my excitement is flowing already.... Cool
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 am

Just odered Beyond 2012 Geoff Stray perhaps this will have more body Very Happy
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:07 pm

OOh most certainly does, lots of interstings ideas in this book!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:37 am