Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+6
Dharma
Colin
midwayislander
Milarepa
Shakti ~ Rising
chi_solas
10 posters

Making Reiki a full time job

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Making Reiki a full time job Empty Making Reiki a full time job

Post by chi_solas Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:11 am

If ULFE is free,how much is your
    time worth to become a full time
    paid practitioner? I like to re-visit
    old articles and remember how much
    I have grown since I became a Reiki
    practitioner. Making Reiki a full time job 850837

Editor's note: If you practice Reiki professionally, full time, you're among the rare few. If your professional practice hasn't reached that point yet, Reiki Master Teacher and holistic business coach Jenn Givler of createathrivingbusiness.com has some ideas about how to achieve that goal. This article is excerpted from her newsletter, Mindful Marketing.

By Jenn Givler

I see it all the time. Healers who are carrying a full-time job along with their healing practice. The healing practice doesn't bring in enough financially to support the needs of the practitioner, so the full time gig is necessary.

I've had healers tell me that they can't let go of the full-time job for a variety of reasons.
    Some tell me they don't feel right charging for their service. That it's a gift and they are here to share it.

Some tell me that they've tried to get the practice up to full time income, but anything they've tried hasn't worked.

Still others tell me that they feel that when the time is right, the practice will just take off, and clients will find them.

Your practice can make full time income

Now, I'm not going to tell you to do something very radical or irresponsible and quit your full-time job right now.

But I am going to tell you that your practice can — and absolutely should — make full time income if that's what you want to do.

You've got this amazing gift to share, and share you should. And you should be supported for sharing it — including financial support.

Money is energy. It's the energetic exchange that we use to buy something of value. Your practice is valuable to those you serve.

And in order for you to be secure, and keep doing the amazing work you're doing, money should be part of the equation.

What has to happen to create full time income

1. Realize you are in business. I know, we hate to think of ourselves as "business people." But in order to create a full time income that can support you, you will have to take on the mind-set of a business person.

And there is a way to balance that. You don't have to be Donald Trump. But you do have to learn the pragmatic pieces of running a business. Those include business planning, marketing, bookkeeping, and strategy.

2. Focus on what you want and pour your energy in that direction. Focus is essential to creating a thriving practice. You need to decide what you want your practice to look like, who you want to work with, and what you want to accomplish and then spend your time doing things that support that vision.

Once you've created your vision, take some time to discover which activities take you in the direction of your vision, and which activities take you away from, or scatter your focus.
    Fill your schedule with those activities that take you toward your vision — and let go of the rest. And this is not an easy process. But if you want to achieve your vision, it's necessary.

3. Learn how to promote yourself. There is a right way, and a wrong way to promote yourself.

Being aggressive or manipulative — not the right way!
    Being in service to those that need you — right way!

In order for your practice to thrive, you absolutely must engage in active marketing activities. All the hope and wishing in the world won't bring you clients. You definitely must take charge and drive the train on your promotional efforts.

However — that does not mean you have to be overbearing and sell to everyone you meet (whew!). But you do need to choose some marketing activities that get you out into the community of people you want to serve.

4. Get help. Bottom line, we can't do it alone. Nor are we meant to. If we were meant to get it right all by ourselves, we would be born, be isolated, do our thing, and then go back to source.
    We are human. We need other humans to help us and support us in our journey.

I have no doubt that you are really, really good at what you do. I know you're an expert — I am too Smile But none of us should try to go it alone.

We all need support and guidance. I work with a coach, and I also have a great Master Mind Group. I love having that support. Because sometimes, I need to be vulnerable too. Sometimes I get hurt, or angry, or frustrated — and I can't see the solution to my own situation. It helps to have outside perspective and motivation.

You can create full time, supportive income from your healing practice. You need to be supported in the work you're doing and part of that support can and should be monetary. You may have to shift your thought processes, and step into being a business person for a bit each day, but it'll be one of the best shifts you can make
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Making Reiki a full time job Empty Re: Making Reiki a full time job

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:53 am

I would love nothing more than to offer Reiki 24/7......but practicalities won't allow that. Do remember we are in a recession......for those of us lucky enough to have their own premises specifically appointed for holistic therapies......then they are on a winner......I live in a tourist area and all premises in this are are well and truly covered by hotels, cafes, outdoor clothing shops etc.....there used to be a great little holistic centre in town with a variety of therapists in there, and even that couldn't make a do here....I went from receiving clients at home ( just in my front room as we have no spare rooms), hiring rooms and going to client's homes on a professional basis, to offering Reiki voluntary in a residential care home.......it was more regular practice and so much more rewarding...I haven't been to the care home in over a year as I dont have the spare time that I did back then...I've been to college again( teaching course) and am working much more in other areas......

I am in the process of getting my insurance for this year again, and will go back to regular voluntary work when time allows..last week in Asda I bumped into a client from the care home, he looked great!! he said he lost my number in the move from the home to a different address and would like me to come and offer reiki again...I was delighted to see him as our sessions together were extremely enlightening for both of us..out of all the people I have ever worked with he was the most receptive and had so much going on ( he is in a wheelchair and has very limited mobility) during our times together he told me I had changed his life........infact his experiences and mine during our sessions together, changed MY life!.....I can't wait to work with him again.... he said he'd pay me.... but I don't want financial reward, if he would cover my petrol that would be cool, but other than that the experience of offering him Reiki is reward enough..... I love you
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:57 am

Really good tale there at the end sharon! It's real nice when we see how Reiki has changed/helped others lives. Makes it all worthwhile!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:07 am

Shakti even though we are in a recession
    and for some depression, it is noteworthy
    that some folks who say they can't afford
    to pay for a Reiki session or squabble
    about the price for a Reiki class often do
    not bargain with their hairdresser,cell phone
    company Etc; Priorities come at different
    levels scratch

Meeting your former wheelchair client must
    have been a shot in the arm for you. It is
    rewarding to work with folks in the nursing
    homes as one woman said to me. When your
    elderly its a lonely place to be and it
    feels so good to have someone touch you. I'd
    never given it much thought until then that
    a friendly hug is all some nursing home folks
    want. heart smiley
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:11 am

Really good point bout hairdressers, etc!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:32 am

Milarepa wrote:Really good point bout hairdressers, etc!
    Making Reiki a full time job 850837
    I had been told by alternative folks
    way back when i first became involved
    with Reiki. To never give free sessions.
    The reason they gave was if you offer a
    service your time is valuable, to not
    acknowledge that is to lessen the value
    of your service. They said take note that
    the person your giving this free service to
    does not ask other professionals to give free
    acupuncture, karate, or not pay co-payments
    for regular Dr visits not to mention Black-
    berry and cable TV. You get the picture. I
    did not follow that advise way back then.
    Even though I had the understanding that Usui
    experienced the same issue of giving.....Embarassed

He wanted to use these abilities to help others, he spent the next seven years in the beggars section of Tokyo healing the poor and sick people there, sending them to a priest to assist finding them employment, and elevating them out of poverty. After the seven years he noticed familiar faces, those of people whom he'd healed long ago who were back again. Asking them, they complained that life outside beggartown was too hard and that it was much simpler to beg for a living. They had thrown away the gift of health, as if it had no value, to return to the supposed comfort of the life they knew.

This threw Usui into a quandary and he returned to the monastery. From this he realized he hadn't taught gratitude along with the healing. That he'd focused on the physical ailments without dealing with the spiritual matters. The people did not understand the value of the gift he gave them.

Dr. Usui returned to the Monastery for further reflection and planning. After some time in the monastery he developed precepts. In this new plan he traveled around the countryside from village to village. In each one he stood in a public place during the day holding aloft a lit torch. When people told him he didn't need a torch in daylight, he answered was he was looking for the few who are interested in improving themselves. In this way he traveled around teaching and healing, working both with the spiritual healing as well as physical healing.
    heart smiley
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:37 am

what way do you feel now? for myself, the issue of giving Reiki & training for free has been real. There's been a decidedly lack of interest & respect to the path, imo, for distant students i tried to help. Some folks i gave freely distant stuff i'd to pay for with Taggart King (i got his permission), and they wouldn't even do the course!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:54 am

Milarepa wrote:what way do you feel now? for myself, the issue of giving Reiki & training for free has been real. There's been a decidedly lack of interest & respect to the path, imo, for distant students i tried to help. Some folks i gave freely distant stuff i'd to pay for with Taggart King (i got his permission), and they wouldn't even do the course!

We have to begin to see ourselves as professionals.
    We need to show confidence in the area of facilitaing
    healing.

Hospitals are picking up on Reiki as a healing tool. IMO
    it will become dominated by hospitals with restrictions
    on who can and can't become Reiki practitioners affraid

Last edited by chi_solas on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
    midwayislander
    midwayislander

Post by midwayislander Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:05 am

I'm still ery new to all of this but please bear with me.
    I worked as a hairdresser for several years before I went back into the medical field as my late husband's office manager/assistant. When I was in hairdressng, nobody ever questioned my prices. Working in my husband's office (he was a family practice MD), I had people try every single day to get me to give them lower prices. My pat answer was "We're not trying to be the cheapest physician's office nor are we trying to be the most expensive. We are, however, trying to be the best and we deserve to be respected and paid what's fair."
    I've been going to school now to become a holistic health practitoner. While working at the school massage center, I was asked (me! At the age of 59!!) to give a happy ending and was also asked if I could lower my fee. My answer to both questions was "no".
    I personally am planning to open a full-time Reiki service. I'm licensed and have my DBA. I have everything in place except the clients. They will come. I know they will. I believe with all my heart that I can do well offering Reiki. I know I will be able to make a decent living doing this. I may not make a fortune but I will be able to pay my bills and still be able to take regular vacations and live the kind of life I want. And when I'm asked to lower my fees, I'm going to give the same answer I gave in my husband's office.
    This is not to say that I won't do charity cases! I already do that by volunteering for a local hospice center. I love to do that. But this is a business and I am a professional business woman. I expect to succeed and I expect to be respected.
    With the ecconomic situation the way it is, I may have to work a little harder and struggle a little longer, but I will make Reiki my full-time job and my full-time love.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:11 am

chi_solas wrote:
    We have to begin to see ourselves as professionals.
    We need to show confidence in the area of facilitaing
    healing.

Hospitals are picking up on Reiki as a healing tool. IMO
    it will become dominated by hospitals with restrictions
    on who can and can't become Reiki practitioners affraid

This is happening in the UK. Here are the basics of the Core Curriculum for Reiki:

Core Curriculum – main requirements

It is important to note that neither the Core Curriculum nor the NOS refer to any one level of Reiki nor any particular style. The requirements of both is that a minimum standard is reached and it is acknowledged that many teachers will teach above that standard. Context under which the training is undertaken:

1. Face to face attunement
    2. Students to give a minimum of 75 full treatments in person and, these should be recorded. Five of these should be supervised by a competent Reiki practitioner or teacher.
    3. Training period to be no less than nine months
    4. Minimum total of 140 hours, 45 of which should be “in person”. See table for suggested study hours.

Topic InPerson Contact Distant Total
    Reiki Theory and Practical skills15 35 50
    Practitioner Skills20 40 60
    Practice Management 10 20 30
    Total 4595 140

National Occupational Standards

These are made up of three competencies, each of which has to be achieved. They are:

CHN1 Explore and establish the client's needs for complementary and natural healthcare

CHN2 Develop and agree plans for complementary and natural healthcare with clients

CHN12 Provide Reiki to clients

A full set of the standards are available for download from the Skills for Health website at http://www.skillsforhealth.org

The Core Curriculum can be purchased from the Reiki Council at
    http://www.reikicouncil.org

Plus, it is recommended that you belong to a professional Reiki organisation e.g. UK Reiki Federation or Reiki Association, for which a requirement of membership is now to achieve and keep a written record of at least 12 hours Continuing Professional Development (CPD). You can also get insurance through UKRF.

Plus if you want to be on a National Register of Reiki practitioners you also have to join one of the Federal Regulators e.g. General Regulatory Council for Complementary Therapists (GRCCT) - another fee and also CPD requirement!

It all seems so complicated! affraid
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:53 am

Good god, hehe! I see the 'masters master' is really master of the universe now. in a Reiki council page a certain someone says there's 6 traditional symbols. 3 at level 2, one at level 3, and a masters master symbol! i thought it was a typo, till i realised it was the 'masters master' writing the piece, Laughing
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:05 pm

midwayislander wrote:I'm still ery new to all of this but please bear with me.
    I worked as a hairdresser for several years before I went back into the medical field as my late husband's office manager/assistant. When I was in hairdressng, nobody ever questioned my prices. Working in my husband's office (he was a family practice MD), I had people try every single day to get me to give them lower prices. My pat answer was "We're not trying to be the cheapest physician's office nor are we trying to be the most expensive. We are, however, trying to be the best and we deserve to be respected and paid what's fair."
    I've been going to school now to become a holistic health practitoner. While working at the school massage center, I was asked (me! At the age of 59!!) to give a happy ending and was also asked if I could lower my fee. My answer to both questions was "no".
    I personally am planning to open a full-time Reiki service. I'm licensed and have my DBA. I have everything in place except the clients. They will come. I know they will. I believe with all my heart that I can do well offering Reiki. I know I will be able to make a decent living doing this. I may not make a fortune but I will be able to pay my bills and still be able to take regular vacations and live the kind of life I want. And when I'm asked to lower my fees, I'm going to give the same answer I gave in my husband's office.
    This is not to say that I won't do charity cases! I already do that by volunteering for a local hospice center. I love to do that. But this is a business and I am a professional business woman. I expect to succeed and I expect to be respected.
    With the ecconomic situation the way it is, I may have to work a little harder and struggle a little longer, but I will make Reiki my full-time job and my full-time love.

It's all about the right attitude flower
    I get most of my clients word of mouth.

I remember the most difficult part of starting
    out,there was no clear articulation to explain
    what Reiki was. You don't sound professional
    when you have to stumble with words and umm's
    let me give you a "treatment" and you'll under
    -stand what Reiki is. scratch IMO words like
    treatment needed to be changed to session. The
    person coming for a session should be referred
    to as a client. A Reiki A-Z vocabulary would help.
    Don't know if James Deacon's website has a Reiki
    vocabulary list. It's confusing to refer to Reiki
    as a treatment or session when it's really a system
    that uses ULFE. Arrow
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:20 pm

I was very lucky when i started to offer Reiki i was already working as a healer, psychic Channel and spiritual columnst, the addition to my healing practice was wonderful so and well received, but...then i left my practice and moved countries, having to start again was very difficult, much more so than i had imagined, i then had two more children, which slowed down the proccess off building my practise back up, and all with such a small english speaking population, it is very difficult, but last year i was blessed with new premises, a beautiful yoga studio right on the beach, and have such amazing terms with the onwer i pay a percentage of what i make.....this for her is much better than the space lying empty, which to me means that i can teach, give healings and also run shares and circles, it is still frustrating to me that the population is very small, but hold much hope that i will build this practise into one that helps many....
    with love and light to all xxx
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 pm

You're living in spain now? what's the tourists trade like where you live? You could advertise aimed at the UK tourist trade. Instead of local adverts, get into contact with UK Yoga magazines, spiritual magazines, etc. Perhaps kinda team up with a local guesthouse where you are, and incorporate a spiriutually orientaed holiday on those lovely warm beaches. Advertise that in Uk?

I remember when i was hitch-hiking through europe bout 14 years ago. Eating some freshly baked bread, washing it down with a bottle of water, sitting on my sleeping bag on the beach, watching the sun come up with the mediteranean lapping at my feet at 6 am, fantastic! Heck, i'm coming over myself! Cya soon!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Milarepa wrote:You're living in spain now? what's the tourists trade like where you live? You could advertise aimed at the UK tourist trade. Instead of local adverts, get into contact with UK Yoga magazines, spiritual magazines, etc. Perhaps kinda team up with a local guesthouse where you are, and incorporate a spiriutually orientaed holiday on those lovely warm beaches. Advertise that in Uk?

I remember when i was hitch-hiking through europe bout 14 years ago. Eating some freshly baked bread, washing it down with a bottle of water, sitting on my sleeping bag on the beach, watching the sun come up with the mediteranean lapping at my feet at 6 am, fantastic! Heck, i'm coming over myself! Cya soon!

Warmest wishes
    Wayne

Haha yes im in Spain San Javier right on the edge of a beautiful salt water lagoon..."Mar Menor" little sea...my friend that is a good idea...im in the process of....getting my website finished its only taking ...forever...and then will try and syndicate my present column for small fee or advertising in the publication...so im hoping that will increase the flow...but yes getting in touch with guesthouses etc is a good idea...we have been thinking of running Spiritual holidays here ourselves..maybe in a year or two.. we have wonderful natural muds here on the edge of the lagoon, beautiful beaches mountains crystal mines and caves..and your welcome anytime!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:03 am

Dharma wrote:
    Haha yes im in Spain San Javier right on the edge of a beautiful salt water lagoon..."Mar Menor" little sea...my friend that is a good idea...im in the process of....getting my website finished its only taking ...forever...and then will try and syndicate my present column for small fee or advertising in the publication...so im hoping that will increase the flow...but yes getting in touch with guesthouses etc is a good idea...we have been thinking of running Spiritual holidays here ourselves..maybe in a year or two.. we have wonderful natural muds here on the edge of the lagoon, beautiful beaches mountains crystal mines and caves..and your welcome anytime!

Sounds idyllic! Very Happy

Who's up for a Reiki Learning Lounge Retreat? Laughing
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 am

a RLLR? that just RRRRRRRRRRRRRolls of the tongue!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:30 am

Congratulations! what an opportunity
    to set up shop and see your business
    grow.

My nephew owns a vacation home on the
    east coast of Spain.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:32 am

Colin wrote:
    Dharma wrote:

Will there be music there!
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:11 am

chi_solas wrote:
    Colin wrote:
    Dharma wrote:

Will there be music there!

Chillout beats in the sunset, hopefully! Cool
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:01 am

one can but dream! would be amazing though spritual retreats...we have most amazing stars and warm enough to sit with them! music galore....have to say though i get the feeling that a spanish year is more a kin the old dog years than ours! blessings to allxxx
    midwayislander
    midwayislander

Post by midwayislander Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:09 am

Gee, Can a kid from California get in on this retreat in Spain???? Wink
    I'm not real savvy with business set-up and all but, I do agree that we should refer to our services as "sessions" rather than treatments and "clients" rather than patients or customers. And, yes, we need to be able to explain what we do without stumbing and searching for words (I'm still practicing that!). At the present time, I'm working strictly on out-call and have a home-office. This is mainly because I don't think I can afford a true office/clinic at this time. But I do have dreams of how my office would be set up if I ever do get to that point!
    Did anyone here just make the leap of faith and immediately rent/lease/buy their office space?
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:49 pm

Sounds like Spain may become a
    favorite place for a Reiki retreat Rolling Eyes

I checked James Deacon's site he
    does have a Reiki glossary.

Setting up a business is easy.
    It getting clients and having
    them come back even after they
    have healed so they can maintain
    balance and harmony.

I notice in my community that folks
    are sharing space. Massage/Reiki.
    Some spa's are offering Reiki. Its
    possible to approach a health center
    and offer a proposal to share a space
    elephant alien
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

midwayislander wrote:Gee, Can a kid from California get in on this retreat in Spain???? Wink
    I'm not real savvy with business set-up and all but, I do agree that we should refer to our services as "sessions" rather than treatments and "clients" rather than patients or customers. And, yes, we need to be able to explain what we do without stumbing and searching for words (I'm still practicing that!). At the present time, I'm working strictly on out-call and have a home-office. This is mainly because I don't think I can afford a true office/clinic at this time. But I do have dreams of how my office would be set up if I ever do get to that point!
    Did anyone here just make the leap of faith and immediately rent/lease/buy their office space?

My first space in Scotland was a lovely one room (with a toilet) shop, by day the owner used the shop she was a lovely and kind beauty and massage therapist and by night I would be their healing and reading....not ideal in terms of times, but it was a start and you have no idea the clients you can generate by being somewhere like that, look for shops that are already working well has a nice energy about it and then offer them terms for times the space is not being used...say 20% of what you make, that is extra funds to them and also thier space is offering more....you can do this in a couple of different places, all the time building clients, until you are sure the flow to you good and strong, to set up your own space! many blessings to you and good luck whatever way you follow
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:53 am

Dharma wrote:
    midwayislander wrote:Gee, Can a kid from California get in on this retreat in Spain???? Wink

My first space in Scotland was a lovely one room (with a toilet) shop, by day the owner used the shop she was a lovely and kind beauty and massage therapist and by night I would be their healing and reading....not ideal in terms of times, but it was a start and you have no idea the clients you can generate by being somewhere like that, look for shops that are already working well has a nice energy about it and then offer them terms for times the space is not being used...say 20% of what you make, that is extra funds to them and also thier space is offering more....you can do this in a couple of different places, all the time building clients, until you are sure the flow to you good and strong, to set up your own space! many blessings to you and good luck whatever way you follow

It's interesting if you step out
    of the box and look around the
    possibilities that are available.
    I had a hairdresser offer me a
    small room ajoining her main space.
    I looked at the possibilities and
    evaluated the pro's and con's. The
    space was ideal,the environment was
    not conducive for Reiki.sunny

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content