Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+6
Dharma
Colin
midwayislander
Milarepa
Shakti ~ Rising
chi_solas
10 posters

Making Reiki a full time job

Dharma
    Dharma

Making Reiki a full time job - Page 2 Empty Re: Making Reiki a full time job

Post by Dharma Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:07 am

[/quote]

It's interesting if you step out
    of the box and look around the
    possibilities that are available.
    I had a hairdresser offer me a
    small room ajoining her main space.
    I looked at the possibilities and
    evaluated the pro's and con's. The
    space was ideal,the environment was
    not conducive for Reiki.sunny[/quote]

I know what you mean, their are many opportunities that can come your way, and not all will be right for the work we do, it has to be right for you, the room I spoke of was perfect, it was a very relaxed space with wonderful energies, other spaces I was offered for example in busy holistic salons in busy city centers seemed like good places to work, but like you when I looked at it more closely were not right for the work I do. For me it was about building upon the client base I already had and indeed bringing the healing to many different people in different communities, ten twelve years ago Reiki was still relatively unkown and by renting a few select spaces in different areas and communities, I could build towards getting healing into communities and make a living doing what I loved.
    Many blessings to you lovely xxx
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:21 am

Count me in for a spanish reiki retreat !! afro

actually i was gonna suggest an annual reiki learning lounge meeting in the UK somewhere, so we could all meet up face to face and offer reiki to each other, but spain sounds nice too ( hehe your gonna wish you never mentiond your place now dharma)

and getting back to the business side of Reiki....thinking of Reiki as a business just doesn't feel right to me ( just my personal feelings no reflection on other perspectives) I don't 'do' anything.......I simply be, and allow Reiki to do it's thing....when it comes to reflexology or Indian head massage I charge, because I am putting a lot of personal effort and energy into it.......with Reiki, there is no effort involved....it's just so simple it feels so wrong to ask for money as a reward for doing nothing.....I've been involved in healing for more than ten years..........and i've never been comfortabkle with accepting money for this service...I have been paid but it really hasn't sat well with me..... and another reason, some people are more more receptive to healing than others....I would be gutted for someone to feel they haven't received there monies worth....now this isn't a reflection of my confidence levels in the Reiki I offer....but more a conclusion based on the experiences of a variety of people....The most profound healings I ever received from healers were free......and the most profound healings clients of mine have experienced have been free also...... I think money and the expectations ascotiated with it can actually get in the way a bit...but again this is simply my point of view based on my personal experiences.....

and do I value my time?? well not really, my time spent offering Reiki is some of the most precious moments in time...it has no financial value for me,it does however have deep spiritual value...I would offer as much of my spare time as possible in the hope that others may experience Reiki fo Reiki's sake and for their spiritual upliftment, not for lining my pockets...
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:48 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:Count me in for a spanish reiki retreat !! afro

actually i was gonna suggest an annual reiki learning lounge meeting in the UK somewhere, so we could all meet up face to face and offer reiki to each other, but spain sounds nice too ( hehe your gonna wish you never mentiond your place now dharma)

and getting back to the business side of Reiki....thinking of Reiki as a business just doesn't feel right to me ( just my personal feelings no reflection on other perspectives) I don't 'do' anything.......I simply be, and allow Reiki to do it's thing....when it comes to reflexology or Indian head massage I charge, because I am putting a lot of personal effort and energy into it.......with Reiki, there is no effort involved....it's just so simple it feels so wrong to ask for money as a reward for doing nothing.....I've been involved in healing for more than ten years..........and i've never been comfortabkle with accepting money for this service...I have been paid but it really hasn't sat well with me..... and another reason, some people are more more receptive to healing than others....I would be gutted for someone to feel they haven't received there monies worth....now this isn't a reflection of my confidence levels in the Reiki I offer....but more a conclusion based on the experiences of a variety of people....The most profound healings I ever received from healers were free......and the most profound healings clients of mine have experienced have been free also...... I think money and the expectations ascotiated with it can actually get in the way a bit...but again this is simply my point of view based on my personal experiences.....

and do I value my time?? well not really, my time spent offering Reiki is some of the most precious moments in time...it has no financial value for me,it does however have deep spiritual value...I would offer as much of my spare time as possible in the hope that others may experience Reiki fo Reiki's sake and for their spiritual upliftment, not for lining my pockets...

I've been there felt those feelings and have
    come to terms with it's OK to charge for my
    time. I also let my client know before they
    commit to a Reiki session that I am not a
    healer. Yes I did heal my-self IMO every one
    has that ability. Reiki is a tool that helps
    you reach into your inner self. When a client
    connects with me, they will learn that Reiki
    is not an instant cure all. Each person has
    accumulated their own physical,emotional,and
    spiritual baggage over the years. How long it
    takes to peel the layers, depends on each
    person. Some people are just not ready to do
    that. While Reiki is simple, non-invasive, much
    is happening. When a client comes to see me for
    the first time they may be anxious about what this
    Reiki stuff is all about. When the session is over
    there is a sigh of Wow! that was wonderful. How many
    doctors hear their patients say that.

When it comes to monies worth I believe that
    Reiki clients/recipients leave with more than
    what money can buy. sunny
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:38 am

precisely....its a gift beyond financial value....
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:03 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:precisely....its a gift beyond financial value....

Reiki Energy is free.Teaching and
    facilitating Reiki is like any other
    alternative business, it comes with
    a fee. The time I spend with a Reiki
    client is equally as valuable as the
    time I spend teaching another client
    how to "Prepare for Surgery" or
    participate in visualizations. sunny
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:21 am

Fair enough rendeer
    Dharma
    Dharma

Post by Dharma Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:13 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:Count me in for a spanish reiki retreat !! afro

Haha my lovely your welcome to chill with us anytime....as long you don’t mind 3 year olds 6 year olds 12 year olds dogs & cats..... you are such a sweetheart....but....what if you are stopping the flow of helping others by not offering a chargeable service, not everyone wants and appreciats a service that is without charge...I spend a good 30-40% of my time healing for no payment it is part of the work, and like you a part that I truly love, just to be able to help, but their are those that need and want to pay, and that brings balance to my life and services. many blessings to you with much love and light xxx
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:22 am

Those who want or need to pay will....and i will accept their payment...
    Stardust
    Stardust

Making Reiki a full time job - Page 2 Empty In a rut or something ....

Post by Stardust Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:51 pm

Right now I am sitting in the position to start a small, part-time Reiki practice:

* I am certified.

* I have a treatment table and accesories.

* I have a working area in an extra room a friend's place that is only a 30 sec. walk away from where I live. The cost of the room is very little and we're trading for that.

* I have business cards, brochures, price lists ...

* I have put up flyers around town.

* I have a pool of people I have treated before during my training period, but they're not so interested in having free treatments much less paying. Strange, too, because some of them had amazing results.

* Even offer if a person has a Reiki demo, where I talk about Reiki a little and share Reiki (10 to 15 min.) with each participant there(up to five of them), the host/hostess receives a free full treatment.

* I am willing to trade services as I can: hairdresser, seamstress, a driver, etc.

Since the end of November I have not had one paying customer. I did have one demo and the participants seemed very appreciative and receptive, but I didn't get any leads.

I know I need to get out there more, but I just don't have the funds to advertize and not get any results. Due to health problems I am not able to go to the town square and hand out handbills. I feel like I am stuck.

I keep thinking the clients will come, but they're not. I don't have a large network here and I don't work. I tried working a couple hours a day at a school for four months last term and it was too much for me. Doing Reiki doesn't affect me like that, thank goodness.

I did make a contact while working with a teacher that also has a Bed and Breakfast. She said they were going to remodel their basement into a day spa and would be interested in having someone to call in to do Reiki for those who wanted it. She has all my information. Just waiting to hear from her. She told me to come for a tour anytime, so now that weather is better, I may just go visit and see if they have started remodeling yet.

I would be happy with 6-10 clients a week. That would be just wonderful for me and maybe in the future I could handle more. I would love to be able to offer Reiki free to one or two cases as I could to help them out.

I am not giving up. I am hanging in there for my break.

The Spanish Reiki Retreat sounds like a winner.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:38 am

Hi Stardust, it does take time.
    public playground bulletin boards,
    public library are good places to
    leave flyers/brochures.

It looks like you have some great
    possibilities. You seem to be doing
    a lot getting your cards & brochures
    table and space ready. At this time,
    It Is What It Is. It's been a tough
    winter world wide & economics play a
    big part in what happens. If your
    located in a working class area you may
    want to reach out to other locales.

I feel like I am stuck.
    I keep thinking the clients will come, but they're not. I don't have a large network here and I don't work. I tried working a couple hours a day at a school for four months last term and it was too much for me. Doing Reiki doesn't affect me like that, thank goodness.

Watch out for the messages your giving yourself
    "i feel like I'm stuck " not a good message.
    "I don't "needs to be eliminated from your
    vocabulary.Give out positive messages to the Universe
    and see what happens. That's what Reiki is all about sunny
    midwayislander
    midwayislander

Post by midwayislander Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 am

Staardust, I agree that you need to watch what you're saying to youself! I was taught by my Tui Na instuctor the theory of Shen Chi Jing: what you think, so you become. As soon as I adjusted my thoughts to a more positive form, I started having fantastic things happen to me.
    A lot of people here in California seem to be afraid of Reiki for themselves! But they will glady call as ask me to offer Reiki to their pets!! I have one client now who was a total basket case about her dogs. She called me and asked me to offer them Reiki. I did it first at distance then follow-up with hands on. Now she's a client, too! Today, I went to a gem show. I wanted to get a geode of apophyllite for my Reiki room at home plus some smaller geodes to take with me on out calls. I found the perfect geode! A huge 14-pound apophyllite!! While at the booth, a woman asked me about the apophyllite (it's a great enhancement crystal for Reiki!), I explained to her about it. She asked me about Reiki, I explained and gave her my business card which has a description of what Reik is on the back. She may or may not call me but at least my card is out there. I'm keeping my business cards and brochures with me at all times. When I can work Reiki into the conversation, I do. If they seem interested, I give them a brochure and business card. If I'm in a physician's office or at a store, if a worker asks me about the Reiki, I give them an ink pen with my advertisement on it. I made the business cards and brochures myself on my computer. The pens came from VistaPrint and cost about 75 cents a pen.
    You mentioned that you are not well. Do you self Reiki? I always offered Reiki to others but never thought to do it on myself until this past week when I ended up with a horrible muscle spasm. I had to actually get a pain pill from the doctor so I could move (he gave me a script for 20 pain pills; I only took one!). As soon as I could move my arms enough to touch my back,I did. During the night, I woke with tingling from the top of my head, all the way down to my sacrum, and out through my ribs. The tingling turned to fire.....then the muscle spasm and pain I'd had went away and never came back again! It wasn't the pill I had taken that did it; it was the Reiki! Very Happy sunny
    Stardust
    Stardust

Post by Stardust Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi Chi_Solas and Midwayislander,

I certainly have become Miss Negativity and did not realize it. I'm usually an upbeat and positive person. I guess I'll blame in the lack of sunshine and tons of snow for three months, my two kids and I being sick with colds and flu most of Feb. and I just slipped into a negative frame of mind. It's time to shake it off.

I use the opportunities that arise to share about Reiki. I love to share and I really want people to experience it. Midway, I love the way you use the in of pets. It's wonderful. I share in a way that I am not pushing, because the last thing I want is people seeing me and running from the crazy Reiki-lady.

I have been thinking about making a page on Facebook and a website. I need to work out what information I want to include on them.

I also have to remember that I have only lived here about 9 years and have only worked four months of that time. My network here is not as large as it is in the States, so it's going to take more work and I have to be patient. (Note to myself: Be patient.)

As for my illness, Dercum's Disease, it is what brought me to Reiki finally. I had an interest in Reiki since the late 80's an in 2007 I experienced Reiki. The first two treatments gave me so much relief by taking away the pain in my shoulders and ankles that I just knew I had to be able to self-treat, too. I took the class in Feb. 2008.

To handle my health challenge, I self-treat with Reiki every day as much as I can, participate in Reiki shares, treat others, receive Reiki treatments now and then, guided meditation, eliminate trigger foods from my diet, take supplements, use some Nikken magnetic products, and keep my ear to the ground for other things to try that are within our budget. The quality of my life has improved and the disease has not progressed, so that's enough to keep me going. It's my choice not to give up and I can be quite determined. I think I found something positive to apply it to.

As far as traveling to another town to set up shop would prove challenging for me at this time due to not having a car, traveling on public transit and the walking involved would take it's toll and I have two young children, 8 and 5 years old, that need me in the afternoons. Who knows what can happen in the future, though.

Some could wonder why I would even want to start up a Reiki practice. How could I not? Reiki is too wonderful to keep under wraps. I like helping others and doing Reiki sessions makes me feel better. I have a nice little location with very low overhead, no cost until I do a treatment.

Thanks Midway and Chi_Solas for for your advice. I am listening.

ps Midway, where are you from in California? I'm originally a California girl.
    midwayislander
    midwayislander

Post by midwayislander Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:23 am

Stardust, I must admit, I'd be a bit negative, too, if I was living in a load of snow and cold weather on top of having colds, flu, and kids to worry about!!! Oh my God! And on top of all of it, Durkum's Disease. I haven't read the article you kindly attached yet (only the first couple of lines), but I put it into my bookmarks so I can read it when I get home from my class today.

You're a California girl??!!!! What on earth took you to Europe? I've been lucky enough to go to Europe once -- in 1986 -- and would love to go again. Yeah, I'm a California native. Born and raised --and still live in San Diego. In fact, I'm in the Pacific Beach area of San Diego, about a mile from where I grew up! Talk about a rut!! Laughing

We've been "suffering" with cold (65 degrees) weather and rain about every week for the past couple of months. Compared to the weather you get where you are, that's like being in Springtime. Nonetheless, I find myself complaining because I'm not enjoying my usual Souther California weather. Guess I should take some of my own advice about negativity!

Don't worry, Honey. Things will start looking up for you soon. I just feel it. I love you
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 am

I am still not practicing and teaching Reiki (and life coaching) full-time, but business has been getting steadier over the past two years, now that I'm establishing a solid client base. I have many years' experience in the corporate world, so I understood at a fundamental level about starting up and managing a small business. What's hard for people starting out is the realization that you have to spend money to make money, primarily in rent (if you are unable to work out of a dedicated space in your home) and advertising. I get a lot of my business through my website, but I bit the bullet this year and paid for monthly print advertising in a local natural health magazine.

I try to offer reasonable prices for my sessions and training because I understand that paying for healing work can end up being expensive for people to do regularly. I will occasionally run specials or do reduced pricing for established clients on an individual basis. I also do a monthly donation clinic, where people can try Reiki or get mini treatments and pay what they can afford. There are many ways you can develop a profitable business, yet stay true to your principles. However, my business costs me time, money and also means time away from my family (which can be stresseful for them) so yes, I do expect to be compensated for my time, attention and skill. I occasionally trade services with other professionals such as massage therapists, but that is our agreement and we are trading complementary services.

Also, remember that although ULFE is "free", not everyone chooses to channel it to themselves. If that was the case, there would be no need for energy healers. There are many people who would prefer to simply receive from someone else, and you are doing them a loving service by being able to make that available to them. And in many cases, we are not just offering Reiki, but we are also offering a compassionate and safe place for them to unburden themselves.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:33 pm

excellent point Dana.sunny

And in many cases, we are not just offering Reiki, but we are also offering a compassionate and safe place for them to unburden themselves
    brightspark
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by brightspark Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:47 am

I too would book to go to the Spanish Retreat.
    I enjoyed reading all the comments.
    Very interested to read about trying to get clients for Reiki sessions. I have been very busy networking, giving out flyers etc. It all sounded very easy especially as I have a therapy room in my house. What could go wrong?
    The phone remained silent. I tried to imagine people rushing in the door - being very positive minded.
    I received a phone call asking me if I wanted a room in a lovely salon in the middle of the city. A leap of faith but I accepted the offer (very nervously I might add). I love working there.
    Suddenly the phone at home has started to ring. I have several clients for Reiki 1. Today I've been offered a larger room for teaching at the salon if I want it.
    I've also been asked to do charity work. How good is that!
    I love Reiki and hopefully can pass the passion on to others.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:42 am

Brightspark that's wonderful.
    The Universe is answering your
    call sunny
    May the Universe bounce Force
    be with you. flower Making Reiki a full time job - Page 2 850837
    brightspark
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by brightspark Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:52 am

Thank you. I did put my thoughts out to the universe.
    flower
    I felt a bit fearful for a few minutes today. You know the, "what have I taken on"?
    I had to myself that this was the ego talking and that I was not alone. I've had amazing experiences and there is no reason to imagine that the future will be any different and more wonderful experiences are before me.
    Thank you for being there.
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:29 pm

brightspark wrote:I too would book to go to the Spanish Retreat.
    I enjoyed reading all the comments.
    Very interested to read about trying to get clients for Reiki sessions. I have been very busy networking, giving out flyers etc. It all sounded very easy especially as I have a therapy room in my house. What could go wrong?
    The phone remained silent. I tried to imagine people rushing in the door - being very positive minded.
    I received a phone call asking me if I wanted a room in a lovely salon in the middle of the city. A leap of faith but I accepted the offer (very nervously I might add). I love working there.
    Suddenly the phone at home has started to ring. I have several clients for Reiki 1. Today I've been offered a larger room for teaching at the salon if I want it.
    I've also been asked to do charity work. How good is that!
    I love Reiki and hopefully can pass the passion on to others.

hi BrightSpark Smile

congratulations for daring the step of opening practice cheers

may you have all the success! your passion is providing me warmth to do similar!

best care

Smile

salman
    brightspark
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by brightspark Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 am

Thanks Salman

Just for today I am not afraid.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:03 am

Keep us posted by sharing
    your experiences Making Reiki a full time job - Page 2 158903

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:21 am