Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Milarepa
EzriReiki
6 posters

The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi

EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi Empty The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi

Post by EzriReiki Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 am

Hello

here is another interesting article, from the Fall 2009 edition of the Reiki News Magazine
    The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi By Marialle Streitch
    http://www.reikiforliving.com/pdfdownloads/Hayashi.pdf

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi Empty Re: The Story of Dr. Chujiro Hayashi

Post by Milarepa Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:00 am

thanks for that Ezri. With neither Takata sensei, nor Jikiden teaching chakras, although i was told that Jikiden used to. i'm unsure of the correlation that Hayashi did. And wonder how come chakras aren't taught.

One thing i'd obviously agree with is CKR being the source of Reiki. Well maybe not 'CKR' exactly. It's been mentioned on here by a far greater mind than mine though!

If i can just comment on this:

If Hayashi added it, he may not have
    taught it to everyone, explaining why Mrs. Yamaguchi did not
    have it, or he may not have developed the use of it until late in
    his career and gave it to Takata as one of the last teachers he
    trained prior to his death.

Chiyoko may not have been taught it cause Wasaburo mightn't have taught her it. Hayashi sensei never taught her master level.

If he developed it late in his career, then Chiyoko would have got the master symbol via her uncle. Since Takata sensei got taught Master level prior to Chiyoko. so that portion of text doesn't make sense.

This text:

The purpose of Reiki in Usui and Hayashi’s day was to heal
    physical illness.

This is the opposite of what Takata sensei said. In the history of Usui sensei, he was greatl troubled cause he was only healing folks physically, and they kept coming back. He feel into the mud sobbing. Saying that the temples were right, that the mind needed healing. enter spirituality in Reiki, and in Usui Shiki Ryoho (as it was Takata saying the story). The emphasis on gratitud, and the formation of the principles by Usui sensei, is the clear spirituality. It's this that balanced it out.

This text:

Several other techniques were used by Usui and Hayashi that
    were not taught by Takata. Yamaguchi quotes the Reiki Ryoho no
    Shiori (Reiki Treatment Guidelines) issued by the Gakkai: “Treatment
    is carried out by gazing at affected areas, blowing onto
    them, patting, rubbing or laying hands on them.”50 For instance,
    to treat burns, one first employed Gyo-shi (eye Reiki) by gazing at
    the affected area, followed by Ko-ki (mouth Reiki) blowing
    through pursed lips onto the burns.

Healing with the breath was taught to level 2 students by Takata sensei, (http://www.aetw.org/reiki_takata_taught.htm) .

As we're seeing in other topics, Takata sensei did come into contact with a person's body during treatments, in certain ways.

This text:

Yamaguchi was taught that it is best to have a photograph of
    someone you have not met.

don't forget Takata sensei thought this best also author! These are just a few quick points.

source for my quotes: http://www.reikiforliving.com/pdfdownloads/Hayashi.pdf

warmest wishes
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:27 am

Milarepa wrote:thanks for that Ezri. With neither Takata sensei, nor Jikiden teaching chakras, although i was told that Jikiden used to. i'm unsure of the correlation that Hayashi did. And wonder how come chakras aren't taught.

I actually emailed Marianne Streich, the author of this article, when I first read it in Reiki News because of the un-referenced mention that "The Gakkai placed emphasis on the navel and the Tanden as important energy centers, while Hayashi focused more on the meridian lines of acupuncture and the chakras."

Here is part of the reply I got:

A reference should have been given for the statement you mention; the omission was an oversight on my part. I don’t remember the source offhand. I moved house recently and my books and notes for the article are still packed away. I will try to find the reference and let you know, although it may not be soon!

Hayashi may not have used the term “chakras” or taught about chakras per se, but I believe he would certainly have been aware of them as energy centers and could well have emphasized their importance in transmitting Reiki energy.
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:04 am

Milarepa wrote:

One thing i'd obviously agree with is CKR being the source of Reiki. Well maybe not 'CKR' exactly. It's been mentioned on here by a far greater mind than mine though!

I noticed with interest the statement
    This article relies heavily on information made available by
    Tadao Yamaguchi through his book, Light on the Origins of Reiki

I have recently been given a copy of this, and have so far only really dipped into it, I'm now prompted to read it through in the next week or so. From what little encounter I have had with Jikiden, I believe they use a different version of the CKR than Takata did, not just the reverse version some people use? Though while they also teach things Takata did not (and vice versa) I personally feel it would also be interesting to explore the commonalities between USR and Jikiden.

Perhaps we could create some form of Commonalities list?

Milarepa wrote:

If Hayashi added it, he may not have
    taught it to everyone, explaining why Mrs. Yamaguchi did not
    have it, or he may not have developed the use of it until late in
    his career and gave it to Takata as one of the last teachers he
    trained prior to his death.

Chiyoko may not have been taught it cause Wasaburo mightn't have taught her it. Hayashi sensei never taught her master level.

If he developed it late in his career, then Chiyoko would have got the master symbol via her uncle. Since Takata sensei got taught Master level prior to Chiyoko. so that portion of text doesn't make sense.

True. from reading on line, it is clear Takata has completed her master training before Mrs Yamaguchi began her training, so if anything it was the teachings received by Mrs Yamaguchi that were the "modified" ones (I hope I do not offend anyone in saying this) Though both Takata and Mrs Yamaguchi maintained that they Taught exactly what they had been taught by Dr Hayashi.

Milarepa wrote:
    This text:

The purpose of Reiki in Usui and Hayashi’s day was to heal
    physical illness.

This is the opposite of what Takata sensei said.

Well, perhaps the author is meaning this in the context of "as opposed to using Reiki for fixing your car, charging batteries, finding parking spaces, sneding into the future to ensure you make a success of that job interview ( or any of the other non-therapeutic uses more latterly divised for Dr Usui's gift)

I believe most Reiki therapists are aware of the reference to Reiki being for "Shin Shin Kaizen", the improving of Mind and Body

Milarepa wrote:

As we're seeing in other topics, Takata sensei did come into contact with a person's body during treatments, in certain ways.

There is no denying this. Reiki was an almost totally hands-on practice for Takata. From what has been passed down, we know she considered non-contact treatment to be something only for use where there was a good reason not to touch, such as open wounds, burns, or privacy issues. We have the instructions for the Reiki finish, being carried out most of the time on bare flesh, and know that she often suggested rubbing the client's back at the end of a treatment also.

Milarepa wrote:
    This text:

Yamaguchi was taught that it is best to have a photograph of
    someone you have not met.

don't forget Takata sensei thought this best also author!

yes, one of what I expect are many commonalities between the two styles. I see also , for example, Mrs Yamaguchi was in agreement with Takata that
    The symbols and methods of attunement were not written down but
    were passed as an oral tradition by both Usui and Hayashi

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Hiya Ezri,
    Yeah a commonalities list would be good. I'd heard that at least in the early days, Chiyoko taught the oral way?

warmest wishes
    Wayne

Edit: You'd mentioned Shin Shin Kaizen. Any theories why the notary certificate doesn't mention these words (or their english meaning), and neither did Takata sensei in naming the style in the 1979 audio?
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:38 pm

Hello Wayne

Milarepa wrote:Hiya Ezri,
    Yeah a commonalities list would be good. I'd heard that at least in the early days, Chiyoko taught the oral way?

If you mean, as an anecdote-rich "oral tradition", I have begun to read the Yamaguchi book but there has been no mention of this in it so far.

Milarepa wrote:
    Edit: You'd mentioned Shin Shin Kaizen. Any theories why the notary certificate doesn't mention these words (or their english meaning), and neither did Takata sensei in naming the style in the 1979 audio?

Should it? I have not really given it any thought.

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 pm

EzriReiki wrote:

Should it? I have not really given it any thought.

EZRI

Well i dunno, just what was the style called?
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Post by EzriReiki Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:12 am

Milarepa wrote:

Well i dunno, just what was the style called?

Which style?

EZRI
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:15 am

that Hayashi sensei taught.
    Dokasan
    Dokasan

Post by Dokasan Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:47 am

Hi Learning Lounge members. cheers
    I'd like to add a wrinkle into this conversation.

We all know that Hayashi was a member of the Imperial Navy of Japan.
    The latest (2010) information I have from Hyakuten Inamoto is that he entered the Navy in December 1899 and graduated in Dec 1902.
    If we think about how long it takes for a person to become a medically trained Doctor, three years is not enough time.
    Therefore, Hyakuten feels that Hayashi Sensei was not a medical doctor he would have had to go to the Imperial Navy Medical school to do this. Hayashi is a retired Imperial Navy Captain.

With regards to the style Hayashi taught.
    His school as we all know was called Hayashi Reiki Kenkyu Kai.
    Hayashi Shiki (style) Usui Reiki Ryoho.

Thanks for posting.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 am

Dokasan wrote:...I'd like to add a wrinkle into this conversation....
    The latest (2010) information I have from Hyakuten Inamoto is that he entered the Navy in December 1899 and graduated in Dec 1902.

Actually, these details were first circulated about a decade or so ago.

And just to add another 'wrinkle'...

According to more recent hands-on research by Reiki master Duane Flowers (who lives in Japan):

Thirty-eight(?) individuals graduated from the Imperial Japanese Naval Academy in December 1902, yet apparently, none of the graduates listed in the Naval records was named Hayashi.....

Surprised Shocked silent

BTW:
    Dokasan wrote:
    With regards to the style Hayashi taught.
    His school as we all know was called Hayashi Reiki Kenkyu Kai.
    Hayashi Shiki (style) Usui Reiki Ryoho.

I don't believe the name "Usui" appeared in the title of the style.

As I recall, even Mrs Yamaguchi mentioned the name as being "Hayashi Shiki Reiki Ryoho"

But of course, she could have been mistaken silent
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

Well, the name of the style on the certificates I have seen that are signed by Chujiro Hayashi and also those signed by Chie Hayashi, is Shin Shin Kaizen Usui Reiki Ryoho, which, to me would indicate what he was teaching.

However, the name of the 'school' or society they chose to teach under was Hayashi Reiki Kenkyukai, which I have seen written on Reiju Kai attendance cards from the 1930s. Whether you choose to read that name as Hayashi Reiki - Kenkyukai or Hayashi - Reiki Kenkyukai can make a difference to whether you perceive Hayashi created his own Hayashi Reiki style or whether he just created a research institute or school through which he could research and teach Shin Shin Kaizen Usui Reiki Ryoho.
    Neutral
    Dokasan
    Dokasan

Post by Dokasan Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:10 am

Thank you gentlemen for the discussion.
    I did go to one of Duanes websites: http://totalreikimastery.com/reiki-history/dr-chujiro-hayashi.html
    Indeed he wrote in 2008 that he couldn't find any information to confirm that Hayashi graduated.
    Hoevever,we have the 1928 Mainichi article written by Shouh Matsui who mentions his teacher Hayashi was a captain.
    I am only repeating what I heard and took it at face value. It was spoken in the context of Hayashi not being a medical doctor due to training (as mentioned before).
    Hyakuten Inamoto claims he researches all his statements so his students know accurate information.

Another Japanese teacher is still claiming Hayashi was a Doctor based upon tax records from the late 1930-1940's. When asked for proof, this teacher suggests the person asking the question contact the tax office. In other words I or any member of this RRL could contact the tax office in Japan and ask for a copy of this tax record. As Japanese is not something I'm fluent in, nor am I at liberty to fly to Japan to conduct the manhours to do the research. This teachers comment will be labelled speculative until I see the data.
    (Reminds me of the Lama Yeshe/Richard Blackwell event)

Regarding the Hayashi Kenkyukai - and the inclusion of the word Usui.
    Mrs. Takata's reiki certificate mentions "the Usui system of Reiki healing" and no mention of the Hayashi Kenkyukai. Are we then lead to assume that the Hayashi Kenkyukai didn't exist just because it wasn't on Takata's certificate? No, I don't think so. Hayashi had his own reasons for not including that information on her certificate.

Blessings,
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 am

Dokasan wrote:...Indeed he wrote in 2008 that he couldn't find any information to confirm that Hayashi graduated. ...

or more specifically, that he couldn't find any information to confirm that Hayashi graduated in the class of 1902

Dokasan wrote:Hoevever,we have the 1928 Mainichi article written by Shouh Matsui who mentions his teacher Hayashi was a captain.
    I am only repeating what I heard and took it at face value. It was spoken in the context of Hayashi not being a medical doctor due to training (as mentioned before).

Yes indeed, Matsui clearly states that Chujiro was a Naval Captain; and interestingly, in further references to him, he refers to him simply as "Hayashi-shi" (MR. Hayashi), and not as DR. Hayashi.

Colin wrote:Well, the name of the style on the certificates I have seen that are signed by Chujiro Hayashi and also those signed by Chie Hayashi, is Shin Shin Kaizen Usui Reiki Ryoho, which, to me would indicate what he was teaching...

Yet Matsui makes no mention of "Shin Shin Kaizen", but simply speaks of "Reiki Ryoho"...

silent
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 am

Rlei_ki wrote:

Yes indeed, Matsui clearly states that Chujiro was a Naval Captain; and interestingly, in further references to him, he refers to him simply as "Hayashi-shi" (MR. Hayashi), and not as DR. Hayashi.

Colin wrote:Well, the name of the style on the certificates I have seen that are signed by Chujiro Hayashi and also those signed by Chie Hayashi, is Shin Shin Kaizen Usui Reiki Ryoho, which, to me would indicate what he was teaching...

Yet Matsui makes no mention of "Shin Shin Kaizen", but simply speaks of "Reiki Ryoho"...

silent

Maybe the Shin Shin Kaizen is simply a tag line to Usui Reiki Ryoho?

A bit like Microsoft Windows XP's "Do more with less" or Fairy Liquid's "Hands that do dishes"?

So the style is actually Usui Reiki Ryoho and the tag line is "Improve Your Mind and Body"

silent
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:03 am

Colin wrote:

...So the style is actually Usui Reiki Ryoho and the tag line is "Improve Your Mind and Body" ...

As they used to say in the Carlsberg ads:

"Probably..."

Laughing
    fshortt
    fshortt

Post by fshortt Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:05 am

...the best lager in the world!

Twisted Evil
    Dokasan
    Dokasan

Post by Dokasan Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

I would like to put forward a request to my esteemed colleagues who can read Japanese.
    In an effort to try and gain understanding as to who/whom Hayashi was I wrote to Arjava Petter and received this response yesterday (26Sept11).

"We did find all the info on Hayashi Sensei in Japan in the Taishu-Jinjiroku published in 1940. He graduated from the Japan naval Academy in 1902."
    I then asked him what the Taishu-Jinjiroku was and he said - "It is a biographical public dictionary, but I don't know if you can get a copy outside of Japan."

If anyone on RLL is able to find out what this dictionary says, I would be most grateful to know. sunny

P.S. Arjava indicated that the Hayashi Reiki Manual has a fair bit of information about him, and Arjava is coming out with a new book which may possibly have even more.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:18 pm