Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+7
Bruce
JohnC
Thaak
papakeri
thehungrycaterpillar
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
11 posters

Reiki practitioners do not diagnose...

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki practitioners do not diagnose... - Page 2 Empty Re: Reiki practitioners do not diagnose...

Post by chi_solas Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:15 am

chi_solas wrote:.... and how much was changed
    by "Takada" and others..

Wayne when you chop out words that I wrote it takes on a different tone Evil or Very Mad

what was changed by Takata sensei? She always said she taught as she was taught by Hayashi sensei.

Of course, for the 'originality' experts to have any kinda 'authority', it must be spread that Hayashi sensei & Takata sensei changed things. There's no evidence Hayashi sensei changed things, on the contrary actually. And Takata sensei did teach over an extraordinary time-frame, it's not surprising her students may have recalled different things. In an largely oral teaching, how easy is it to remember what happened 10 or 20 years ago?

What people say and what they do can be very different. Folks are still sifting through past documents and coming up with what they think is true.History changes according to who's writing it. What I have read it seems as though Reiki did have a diagnostic theme. I prefer to not present myself as a medical authoritarian out side the medical professional.

Like dragonfly and others who practice Reiki we do have our moments when a client validates what we sense (rather than diagnose)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Reiki practitioners do not diagnose... - Page 2 Empty Re: Reiki practitioners do not diagnose...

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:18 am

chi_solas wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:.... and how much was changed
    by "Takada" and others..

Wayne when you chop out words that I wrote it takes on a different tone Evil or Very Mad

That's done Bridget, Smile . I dunno why that happens, it's happened to me a couple times also.

take care
    wayne
    KelleyB
    KelleyB
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by KelleyB Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:16 am

chi_solas wrote:[History changes according to who's writing it.

to sort of 'quote' another thread: HISTORY = ≠ his-story What a Face

Fantastic debate
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 pm

KelleyB wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:[History changes according to who's writing it.

to sort of 'quote' another thread: HISTORY = ≠ his-story What a Face

Fantastic debate

LOL - good point! bom

I was surprised that the more I read about the history of Reiki in the West how much of it differed based on the account and sources. But I think in actuality that anyone who teaches over a period of time will alter things based on different things they learn from practicing a technique over and over, and even based on what their preferences are. The essence of what Mrs. Takata taught is valid and honestly, that's really what's important to me. I don't believe in one Absolute Truth.

The fact that Mrs. Takata was teaching a Japanese-based healing technique in the U.S. at a time when my country did not look so favorably upon those of Japanese descent - and she was establish the Reiki tradition here with all of the potential prejudices and issues she might have been subjected to - is astounding to me.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:44 pm

I read somewhere that Mrs Takata represented Reiki
    as a religious system so it would be accepted in
    the US during the wartime hardship of the Japanese
    people.
    Neutral
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:43 pm

Takata sensei never taught it as a religious system, Smile. She did emphasise God, though as we all can see, God existed before religion, and no one religion has claim over him, irrespective of what they think.

It was spirituality that was emphasised.

Also, the assumption Takata sensei made certain 'aspects' of things up to be more palatable to US citizens doesn't make sense when looked at closely..

It has been suggested that Takata-sensei made up the story about Usui-sensei being a Christian (actually, there is still no 'hard' evidence to prove he wasn't a Christian! [3] ) in order to make the idea of Reiki more palatable to Americans who were potentially still Anti-Japanese as a result of the Pacific War - and supposedly wouldn't accept the idea of Usui-sensei being a Buddhist?[4]

But is there actually any logic in this? Especially when we consider that at the time Takata-sensei was introducing Reiki to an American audience, Buddhism - in one form or another - was becoming very popular. Japanese Buddhism, primarily represented by the Zen school, was particularly 'big' at the time...

Also, if - as we are expected to believe - Takata-sensei was responsible for 'reworking' the Reiki Story to make it more acceptable to supposed American sensitivities, why then labour the point that Usui-sensei had no success in uncovering the secrets of healing ability in Western religions, philosophies or related spiritual practice (which, according to the Reiki Story, he is said to have studied in America)?
    And why also labour the point that, on returning to Japan, he eventually discovered the 'secret' (:a formula for accessing healing - not the Reiki symbols, as some seem to believe) in Buddhist Texts - and that he was gifted with the Reiki Phenomenon while undertaking meditative austerities of a particularly Japanese nature, on a holy Japanese mountain sacred to both Buddhists and followers of Shinto alike?

Reading between the lines of the Reiki Story, it seems to me that, rather than having been reworked by Takata-sensei for an American market, the Reiki Story may have existed in this form for quite some time before she herself learnt it from Hayashi-sensei.
    Is it possible that, rather than being reworked so as to be acceptable to potential Western students, the Reiki Story was actually intended for the Japanese 'home market' as it were?
    Could it be that there is in fact a subtly anti-western sentiment to the tale?
    That it speaks to the belief held by many Japanese even during the early decades of the 20thC, that the Japanese people should 'stay within their own culture' - that there was little to be gained from the gaijin (foreigners) and their ways?

Afterall, is not the sub-text of the Reiki Story (at least of the first part of the story) the account of a Japanese minister of a gaijin religion (i.e. Christianity), who, on being challenged by some of his students to demonstrate the healing abilites he believed Jesus and his disciples possessed, was unable to fulfil their request (in itself, something that would entail a degree of 'loss of face', and possibly reflect poorly on his Christian faith)?
    And who, in setting out on a quest to find the way to manifest this 'New Testament' healing ability, was unable to discover how to do so - even in the great America?
    How, after studying the Christian faith more deeply in America, he had even searched for the secret of healing in the writings of the other great religions of the West - yet to no avail?
    And that it was only on returning to his homeland - and searching amidst the spiritual traditions of his own culture, that he eventually discovered a 'secret formula' - a Buddhist, rather than Christian, formula which would enable him to manifest a great healing gift?

Source: Excerpt from : - http://www.aetw.org/reiki_myth.htm

take care
    Wayne
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:53 pm

She may have promoted what was more popular
    within that time period to fit in.

Today I find most Reiki Practitioner to have
    had a religious base but have pulled away from
    organized religions. They see their world as being
    spiritual/not religious others see themselves
    as humanist,naturalist or atheist. Which ever
    they choose to live by ULFE works for all.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 am

And who, in setting out on a quest to find the way to manifest this 'New Testament' healing ability, was unable to discover how to do so - even in the great America?
    How, after studying the Christian faith more deeply in America, he had even searched for the secret of healing in the writings of the other great religions of the West - yet to no avail?
    And that it was only on returning to his homeland - and searching amidst the spiritual traditions of his own culture, that he eventually discovered a 'secret formula' - a Buddhist, rather than Christian, formula which would enable him to manifest a great healing gift?

OK, as an American, I find this section both funny and perplexing. Americans do not have the sole and final word on Christianity. Usui-Sensei could have very easily gone to many countries in Europe where Christianity has flourished for centuries longer than in the U.S.!

There are some "charismatic" Christian sects in the U.S. that do believe in faith healing and hands-on healing through prayer. But they are not mainstream Christian faiths.

And really, who "owns" this "secret formula" for healing? The Buddhists? The Christians? Anyone? It comes from God. The Buddhist flavor of Reiki comes from the culture in which Usui-sensei lived, just as if God imparted me with this spiritual knowledge and I decided to teach it, my methods would probably reflect my culture and religious upbringing. I think there are/were a number of "secret" Christian teachings on healing and other esoteric practices (see the Gnostic Gospels) but either some of them have been lost or are are highly guarded. Jesus had the gift of trasmitting healing ability to his disciples and I bet they were able to transmit as well too. We just don't have enduring documentation of what the disciples did after a certain point in time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 9:18 pm