Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

4 posters

Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols".

Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". Empty Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols".

Post by Guest Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I've been scanning other REIKI forums and came across a very interesting topic: there are actually practitioners out there who are "AFRAID OF THE SYMBOLS". How is it possible that these people suspect the symbols to be linked to "sorcery"? VERY ODD. It contradicts everything I know about REIKI.
    EzriReiki
    EzriReiki

Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". Empty Re: Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols".

Post by EzriReiki Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:19 am

DameMantis wrote:I've been scanning other REIKI forums and came across a very interesting topic: there are actually practitioners out there who are "AFRAID OF THE SYMBOLS". How is it possible that these people suspect the symbols to be linked to "sorcery"? VERY ODD. It contradicts everything I know about REIKI.

Hello DameMaantis,
    A lot of devoutly religious people do have concerns about Reiki Ryoho when they hear the practice can involve the use of symbols, which is I suppose understandable, especially if they learn that the original symbols may have connections with other religions like Buddhism and Shintoism. I was told that some Christian Reiki practitioners substitute Christian symbols for the four familiar Reiki ones. Other members on this forum might know more on this. But do you mean the people on the other forum are concerned about the Usui symbols being linked to sorcery, or is it other newer symbols they are worried about?

EZRI

Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". Empty Re: Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols".

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:10 am

Hi EZRI:
    It's the (5)USUI traditional symbols they are worried about. I can understand the concern about the newer symbols: because there IS a trend towards FUSION with "cult" OR "occult"
    elements. For example, some WICCAN/ other Spellcraft sites; are offering "Reiki Healing", using symbols I never even heard of. Maybe those that are afraid of the traditional USUI symbols are linking them to "REIKI Helling, not REIKI Healing". Obviously, not EVERYONE is following the Traditional USUI path. Our Mentor, USUI, was not known to be a "Sorcerer".
    Personally, I picked this form of REIKI to become attuned to because I felt more comfortable with the Japanese Path (having been a ZEN meditation practitioner since I was only 14---and I'm 55 now). Perhaps I should go back there and clear up the "confusion" on those boards...I don't like misinformation spreading around like that. Someone strikes a "match" and the "fire spreads. The match is the false assumption and the fire is the fear factor spreading.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:36 am

Book burnings have that affect
    to kill off info. Evil or Very Mad Fires
    of hell a threat if you don't do
    it our way Twisted Evil

Occult to me is any religious
    or other organization that you
    have to go through rituals to join affraid

A cashier who was wearing a....
    Immaculate Conception medal
    necklace, looked at my St
    Bridget's cross necklace and
    asked what cult I belonged to.
    I was amused that she did not
    recognize my Celtic cross as
    Catholism. A cult indeed. Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". 850837

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:09 am

Lots of ignorance around...that's for sure. I'm also technically, a "Catholic" but chose to wear St. Michael's Medal around my neck instead of a cross. If these "Christian practitioners" who are afraid of the USUI SYMBOLS are using "Christian" symbols, what are they doing? (Switching the Japanese to crosses/ the "fish" symbol)? Reminds me when a couple of years ago I was asked by a woman in her early twenties if I was a"ghost-buster" of some kind because SHE recognized the Archangel's medallion. Oh well.... Rolling Eyes
    (from one cultist to another)
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:35 am

DameMantis wrote:Hi EZRI:
    It's the (5)USUI traditional symbols they are worried about.

(5) USUI traditional symbols? Shocked

Let's see, I've got CKR, SHK, HSZSN and DKM...nope, I've only got 4! affraid

have I been shortchanged all these years?!! Laughing

DameMantis wrote:
    Our Mentor, USUI, was not known to be a "Sorcerer".

Well, actually...

on the Usui Memorial, listed amongst his great knowledge it mentions, divination and incantation, which could be considered sorcery by some.

Also, if, as is suspected he was also a student of Shugendo (mountain asceticism/shamanism) it is likely that he practiced some magical practices, maybe deriving from Onmyodo (a old Japanese form of Taoist magic, based heavily on the Five Elements) and also Mikkyo or Esoteric Buddhism with it's many spells and charms - one of which, incidentally appears to be the source of HSZSN! affraid

I think it all comes down to perception, what your in-grown beliefs are and whether you consider that if something (or someone) appears to have something do with magic or sorcery then it (they) must be inherently evil (or not).

There is certainly something very magical about Reiki but I certainly would not say I was afraid of it or its symbols. Some people who do not appear to have a full understanding of the Reiki symbols and their origins may be helped in the relief of their fears by education while, unfortunately, others will always remain scared because they do not understand or because their own beliefs are so fundamental and inflexible.
    Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 am

Colin you are so wise beyond your years. farao

Colin you mentioned "In-grown beliefs"
    would that be, the family culture one
    is born into? flower

I learned 5 Symbols....The 4 you
    mentioned plus Raku, that Lifts
    and aligns the chakra's at the end
    of the atunement Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". 850837

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:31 am

That's right...it's the RAKU (the zig-zag line). Like a Star @ heaven
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:16 pm

It reminds me of a lighting bolt bounce
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:17 am

Yes, Raku is like a lightning bolt but it was not an original Usui Reiki symbol!

It was added by a gentleman called Arthur Robertson, a student and friend of Iris Ishikuru, who developed a style of Reiki called Raku Kei Reiki, which also uses other introduced symbols (e.g. Tibetan Dumo Master Symbol, Fire Serpent (Nin Giz) and Antakharana) said to be of Ancient Tibetan origin, to fit in with his belief that Reiki was of ancient Tibetan origin. These symbols are also used in Usui/Tibetan Reiki which is taught through lineages with William Rand, which includes lots of Reiki Practitioners!

I don't see anything wrong with using Raku but just like people to be aware that it is not a traditional Usui Reiki symbol. Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 am

Thanks Colin. I've heard a lot about
    added pieces like crystal grids,
    feathers,pendulums and more. I was not
    aware that the Raku was also added. So
    then somewhere after Takata pieces must
    have been added or changed. Reiki Practitioners who are afraid of the "Symbols". 850837

Post by Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:57 pm

This all makes sense because it was through Rand's lineage that I got the Raku attunement. In my first experience with REIKI, it was the traditional USUI-REIKI (only the 4 symbols there).

Post by Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:05 am

Yep...Don't be frightened...it's only me and this avatar depicts (me) in a more "realistic light". I'm not some "knock-out looking babe" like that cartoonish character taken from the avatar gallery. I'm more like a seeker in the desert; tattered, torn; weary; but still seeking. I'll never stop seeking: just look at the long staff in my right hand. This means serious business! drunken
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:43 am

Barbara McCullough is the
    first name to show under
    Takata on my linage. Rand
    is not on my lineage.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:56 am

DameMantis wrote:Yep...Don't be frightened...it's only me and this avatar depicts (me) in a more "realistic light". I'm not some "knock-out looking babe" like that cartoonish character taken from the avatar gallery. I'm more like a seeker in the desert; tattered, torn; weary; but still seeking. I'll never stop seeking: just look at the long staff in my right hand. This means serious business! drunken

Great Avatar Smile

The TV series, "the seeker" is an
    interesting show a mix of everything
    the violence I can do without affraid
    I think it is shot in New Zealand flower

Post by Guest Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:57 am

I don't know this show that you are referring to. But then again, I don't watch T.V. a lot. Too busy with my "researches", finding them way more interesting. The "staff" in the avatar's hand is MY DREAM REIKI DEVICE. It's like a healing rod type of thing. I have no need of "weapons" since I took KARATE long enough to be able to defend myself if I have to.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:29 am

DameMantis wrote:I don't know this show that you are referring to. But then again, I don't watch T.V. a lot. Too busy with my "researches", finding them way more interesting. The "staff" in the avatar's hand is MY DREAM REIKI DEVICE. It's like a healing rod type of thing. I have no need of "weapons" since I took KARATE long enough to be able to defend myself if I have to.

I don't watch TV either.The story line is
    from the novel "The Sword of Truth" study

Self-defense,self-healing worthy skills sunny
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:17 pm

DameMantis wrote:Yep...Don't be frightened...it's only me and this avatar depicts (me) in a more "realistic light&quot".

I think some folks might perhaps be more frightened of the name rather than the image (or should that be "more frightened of the jumon rather than the symbol").

Afterall, when it comes to the Mantis, the female of the species does have a rather worrying reputation - like biting off their mate's head at a most in-appropriate moment

Laughing

BTW, just out of interest - which style of Karate?

Post by Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:25 pm

Shotokan style of Karate. Finally, someone said something about my choice of name. It's intended...I'm a voracious eater of research/knowledge/new information. I don't eat meat. In the vast scheme of things in this Universe, I might as well be an "insect"; and the title "Dame", well I earned that one for personal accomplishments.
    If people (specifically men) have any concerns about the "darker side" of the Mantis, so be it. There's a "clue" there, that I have a "fighter-possibly more dangerous" side to me.
    Twisted Evil
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:02 pm

DameMantis wrote:Shotokan style of Karate. Finally, someone said something about my choice of name. It's intended...I'm a voracious eater of research/knowledge/new information. I don't eat meat. In the vast scheme of things in this Universe, I might as well be an "insect"; and the title "Dame", well I earned that one for personal accomplishments.
    If people (specifically men) have any concerns about the "darker side" of the Mantis, so be it. There's a "clue" there, that I have a "fighter-possibly more dangerous" side to me.
    Twisted Evil

It would be nice if you added this info to
    "Avatars and forum names" in our chillout
    section study

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:49 am