Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+6
Pandora
chi_solas
Hazel
thehungrycaterpillar
JohnC
Milarepa
10 posters

'Moving' Reiki

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

'Moving' Reiki - Page 2 Empty Re: 'Moving' Reiki

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:58 pm

Thaak wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:When sending distant Reiki it works without being touched.

My dog was sensitive to Reiki touch. A Reiki friend suggested that I use distant Reiki. When in the same room I would connect with him using my eyes, he would also be looking at me we were about 5/6 feet a part in about 5 mins I could see him begin to relax the way you notice your client/recipient become more relaxed into the session.

I also had a client who came for Reiki sessions she did not want to be touched. She felt more comfortable sitting in a chair and I facilitated Reiki from a comfortable distance. When I go to hospitals sometimes a patient is hooked up to all kinds of machines and their feet or hands are the only available comfort zones that the patient can tolerate being touched.
    sunny

I was facilitating a Reiki session for a friend of mine. She has migraine headaches and I offered to help out a bit if I could. She has 3 parrots and a cat in a very small apartment. The birds were being noisy and the cat was lording herself over the room from the back of the couch.

When I started, the birds all got quiet and the cat became curious and came down to check me out. The room was ridiculously silent for about 20 minutes.
    Hmmm, sounds like a multi tasking Reiki session. 3 for 1 Sleep
    That brings a thought to mind, I wonder if there are any Reiki animal trainers out there. I know quite a few vets who are Reiki practitioners
    sunny
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 pm

Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Many are taught not to 'direct' Reiki, to let it do it's own thing.

How come then, in hatsurei ho, specifically Seishin toitsu, we 'breathe' in & out through our hands, to our seika tanden?

Is it 'Ki' we are moving, as some suggest? If so, that's weird, cause we are involved with REIki, not 'ki'. If it was 'Ki' we would not have the word 'Reiki' to describe it.

Perhaps we can move Reiki? Or perhaps, Hatsurei ho isn't a Reiki practice at all, but from another discipline involving just 'Ki'?

Take care
    Wayne

I think we discussed this sort of question back on Reiki-4-All... and my opinion is this:

Mikao Usui was Buddhist, and so it makes sense that his practice of energy healing would incorporate many Buddhist spiritual techniques. Indeed, the Seika Tanden is not specific to Reiki. It is a Japanese energetic organ derived from the 3 Dantien of Chinese origin. The three Dantien of which THE Dantien is where the Seika Tanden is located, are derived from the Hindu Chakra system.

I'm just saying...
    I read on a Reiki Forum (reiki4) that Usui was a teacher and not a Buddhist. It was during a discussion about him not being a "DR"
    sunny
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:37 pm

Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:
    My own opinion is Reiki only works via absent healing bcause of HSZSN. now, folks will say level 1 can do absent healing. so let's look at that.

Not all absent/distance healing is Reiki, for a start. Smile . Of course, one may assume it is if they are a Reiki practitioner.

I've a theroy that because (as is usual nowadays), folks initiate using HSZSN at level 1, they are in fact empowering that level 1 student to absent heal. Whether the teacher realises it or not. When a person experiences Reiki, the symbols aren't dormant just because a person never drew them. symbols are active.

Wayne

I'm not sure I fully agree with you Wayne. And I know this was a major discussion you and I have batted about before.

But I believe that the symbols are merely tools. It is possible to transcend the tools. It is also possible that someone has been attuned in other ways than through the traditional human to human initiation. Or that they were born attuned?

Just because they weren't taught under a Reiki flag, does not mean that Reiki does not work through them.

And just because they are only level 1 and have not been initated to HSZSN, does not mean that they cannot facilitate a distance session.

All the symbols and the initiation to the symbols does, is it gives us a spark from which to lite a fire. But if through spirituality and intent we already have an inferno within us, we don't necessarily need the spark.

I have always seen symbols as tools that set the tone within the realm of Reiki healing, they are reminders of the balance and harmony that we seek during the Reiki sessions.

My first introduction to rituals that I can remember was when I got confirmed and the Bishop gave me a tap on my face with his ring to show that life can be tough and this holy Sacrament makes you a strong and courageous Christian.
    My opinion of rituals /icons started way back long before I was able to think for myself. I do see the need for Reiki symbols to give formality /respect to the ceremonial aspect that creates a healing of the mind /body /soul.
    sunny
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    thehungrycaterpillar wrote:
    (also about how many we can do in a row...) Once I felt so drained just doing 2 in a row!

Hiya THC,
    Going over this topic agian, i wanted to mention this, as it may be important, Smile .

In an absent treatment, we don't also 'benefit' from Reiki. Only the recipient. Even with that, one shouldn't feel 'drained'. Maybe if the practitioner was already feeling a bit tired that day, i dunno, been out shooping all day or something. Then again, i've never had a problem treating 40 folks at a mind/body/spirit fair, as i recieve Reiki also via the treatments. To do maybe an hour or two without the possible rejuvination of Reiki as well, may make one tired.

Using personal energy can make us feel this way also. Not saying that's what happened, just an exmaple.

take care
    Wayne

I don't agree at all with this Wayne. I think when we tap into Reiki, whether it be for a face to face or a long distance treatment, we receive benefit from it.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:44 pm

chi_solas wrote:

I think we discussed this sort of question back on Reiki-4-All... and my opinion is this:

Mikao Usui was Buddhist, and so it makes sense that his practice of energy healing would incorporate many Buddhist spiritual techniques. Indeed, the Seika Tanden is not specific to Reiki. It is a Japanese energetic organ derived from the 3 Dantien of Chinese origin. The three Dantien of which THE Dantien is where the Seika Tanden is located, are derived from the Hindu Chakra system.

I'm just saying...
    I read on a Reiki Forum (reiki4) that Usui was a teacher and not a Buddhist. It was during a discussion about him not being a "DR"
    sunny[/quote]

Perhaps not a Buddhist monk, or even lay practitioner... but I believe his spiritual and philosophical path was as a Buddhist.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:04 pm

Hiya THC,
    Going over this topic agian, i wanted to mention this, as it may be important, Smile .

That happened only once and the 2nd recipient was suffering from chronic depression.
    All through the session I kept seeing fast moving pictures like a photo slide show, not a continuous movie.
    The it finally stopped at one and it didn't make sense to the both of us but the recipient got a validation later from another person!

My question on the side would be , is it possible to pick up 'energies' from the recipient even with all the prayers in place?

Thanks,
    Hamsa
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:44 pm

Thaak wrote:
    Perhaps not a Buddhist monk, or even lay practitioner... but I believe his spiritual and philosophical path was as a Buddhist.

However, it should perhaps be pointed out that there is no more solid evidence to support claims that Usui-sensei was a Buddhist, than there is to support claims he was a Christian.

Smile
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 pm

Thaak wrote:

The three Dantien of which THE Dantien is where the Seika Tanden is located, are derived from the Hindu Chakra system.

I'm just saying...

Hiya Andy,
    Even if they where, so what,? Smile .

take care
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:31 pm

Thaak wrote:
    I'm not sure I fully agree with you Wayne.

that's cool, Smile .

Thaak wrote:
    But I believe that the symbols are merely tools.

that's cool also. For someone viewing the symbols as tools, that's all they'll ever be. They'll never care nor try to look for the deeper meanings. That's an individual's right, but hardly means there isn't deeper meanings to said symbols.

Thaak wrote:
    It is possible to transcend the tools.

It's easy to get away from something one doesn't view as important, yes.

Thaak wrote:
    It is also possible that someone has been attuned in other ways than through the traditional human to human initiation. Or that they were born attuned?

Attuned to what? Smile

Thaak wrote:
    Just because they weren't taught under a Reiki flag, does not mean that Reiki does not work through them.

'Reiki' as in what exactly?

Thaak wrote:
    And just because they are only level 1 and have not been initated to HSZSN, does not mean that they cannot facilitate a distance session.

Well, obviously folks can do absent/distant healing in other ways, like i already mentioned i think, Smile . I do it myself in QT.

All things are not Reiki. As in the experiental aspect.

Reiki is something precise, and as i am attempting to show, is not the same as Ki. It is REIki. Perhaps that should be explored more...

Thaak wrote:
    All the symbols and the initiation to the symbols does, is it gives us a spark from which to lite a fire.

That's a big simplification, hehe. For someone who cares to look a bit further & deeper, there's more to be discovered. And, ime, a deepening of spirituality & relationship with Reiki can occur.

I was also one of the folks who thought the symbols were tools. I was a big believer in it. Obviously i had to experience something else to change my stance...

Thaak wrote:
    But if through spirituality and intent we already have an inferno within us, we don't necessarily need the spark.

Well, hehe, i know folks like to think that. This 'spark' you're speaking of was the culmination of a lifetimes study and spiritual practice, that probably would make you & I both look like idiots. At the pinacle of it, one man went up a sacred mountain, and undertook a rigourous spiritual practice.

I havn't heard of many using their 'spiritual intent' to go do the same, or similar. The gift such as Usui sensei got, isn't one that is common place. And most certainly isn't a gift that is recieved without some effort & sincerity. Smile .

Take care
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 pm

chi_solas wrote:
    Thaak wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Many are taught not to 'direct' Reiki, to let it do it's own thing.

How come then, in hatsurei ho, specifically Seishin toitsu, we 'breathe' in & out through our hands, to our seika tanden?

Is it 'Ki' we are moving, as some suggest? If so, that's weird, cause we are involved with REIki, not 'ki'. If it was 'Ki' we would not have the word 'Reiki' to describe it.

Perhaps we can move Reiki? Or perhaps, Hatsurei ho isn't a Reiki practice at all, but from another discipline involving just 'Ki'?

Take care
    Wayne

I'm just saying...
    sunny

Well, he was named as Dr. Usui on a certificate signed by his student. Smile.

take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:33 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    Thaak wrote:

The three Dantien of which THE Dantien is where the Seika Tanden is located, are derived from the Hindu Chakra system.

I'm just saying...

Hiya Andy,
    Even if they where, so what,? Smile .

take care
    Wayne

The point I'm making is that many of the techniques, meditations, philosophies, energy organs, et. al. that are part of the Reiki Healing system are not exclusive to Reiki. Indeed those things existed before Reiki did, and are part of the the general or prevalent Japanese spirituality.

It makes sense that Mikao Usui would incorporate his own spirituality into the healing system.

What doesn't make sense is assuming that you can't do Reiki without that particular brand of spirituality.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Thaak wrote:
    The point I'm making is that many of the techniques, meditations, philosophies, energy organs, et. al. that are part of the Reiki Healing system are not exclusive to Reiki. Indeed those things existed before Reiki did, and are part of the the general or prevalent Japanese spirituality.

It makes sense that Mikao Usui would incorporate his own spirituality into the healing system.

Of course, Smile . It's his system after all.

Thaak wrote:
    What doesn't make sense is assuming that you can't do Reiki without that particular brand of spirituality.

What particular brand of spirituality? Smile
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:47 pm

I tell my clients I do not need to know their medical history nor do I need to know where their pains/aches are cause they are in charge of moving their energy. I'm just a facilitator. I debunk that I have power/ knowledge over them..... however I am compassionate about listening to their health issues and relating what works for me so they have a better understanding of how to empower themselves. They are their own healer.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:50 pm

Thaak wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

I'm just saying...
    sunny

Perhaps not a Buddhist monk, or even lay practitioner... but I believe his spiritual and philosophical path was as a Buddhist.[/quote]
    Yes I agree. sunny
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:04 am

Wayne,

I’m at work, so I’m not going to try and do in-line commentary right now.

But I did want to make a couple comments.

First, I think, and please correct me if I’m wrong, you consider Reiki the Energy and Reiki the Healing System irrevocably intertwined—essentially synonymous with one another. So if you are not using the Healing System, you cannot possibly be using the Energy.

Second, I think you are also saying that the Symbols are the System, and as such, you cannot use the system without the Symbols. And if the first statement above is true, you also cannot use the Energy without at least being initiated to CKR.

Thirdly, I think you are saying that only what Mikao Usui, and those of his lineage who remained true or pure to his teachings, taught can be legitimately called Reiki.

Am I right with the above statements?

If so, we have a fundamentally different belief on this. It is ok that we do have a different belief, and I believe it doesn’t necessarily make either of us wrong.

What I believe, fundamentally is this:

Mikao Usui grew up with a certain religious, philosophical, and/or spiritual belief system. He, over time, learned different alternative healing systems. Eventually he had his satori, and subsequently developed the Reiki Healing System.

Reiki is a term that existed before Mikao Usui tied it to his healing system. What its exact meaning prior to the healing system is ambiguous, but I think it stands to reason that he chose that term because it meant what he needed it to mean to attach to his Healing System. In other words, it didn’t mean anything much different then, than it means now in context of the Usui Healing System of Reiki.

Reiki has since become a generic term to mean any energy. Indeed my Reiki Master taught that Reiki is just a term for energy, and Mana in Hawaii, Prana in India, Chi, Ki, or Qi in China, all mean the same thing. This is a teaching I’ve seen prevalent more often than not from the Reiki Master Teachers that I have run into and spoken with. Indeed whenever someone comes up with a new healing system that they channeled or were gifted from spirit, they often attach the term Reiki to it, even if it is a different energy or vibrational frequency.

Many also believe and have reportedly channeled from spirit, that the energy behind Mikao Usui’s Reiki Healing System, under a different word, was used in ancient civilizations (Atlantis, Lemuria?) for healing purposes. That Mikao Usui, during his satori, merely rediscovered it. I believe this is true.

The symbols are representations of ideas, thought patterns, organized energy, entire philosophies all compressed into a narrow space. Usually this icon stands for something that we, as humans, in our current evolution, cannot wrap our intellect around… yet. So the symbols are a tool that allows us to use this icon. It gives us something tangible that we can actually use without having to understand a very difficult concept that can take an entire lifetime to fully realize. In the Bible, whenever Jesus performed a healing miracle, he used the “Word” of God. Indeed he gave this “Word” of God to his disciples so that they too could perform miracles, and the disciples did. This “Word” of God was the 32 AD version of Reiki Symbols. It was a way for the limited evolutionary intellect of the time to access a concept they had no way of understanding or realizing. So symbols are extremely important. And yes, they are much, much, much more than just a few graphite scratches on a piece of paper. They represent an entire spiritual and energetic concept. A concept that is very difficult for us to understand and articulate intelligently in the language that we currently use and understand. As such, they are a tool. Transcending the need for the tool means we can access that concept without having to use the tool.

So I agree with you that there is a huge meaning behind the symbols. And they are incredibly important. Indeed there are many tools, where the lack of existence would have meant something could not have happened. Computers, Lasers, Microscopes are all tools that helped us complete tasks that we would not have been able to without them. Indeed they helped us understand concepts that we didn’t even know existed until we used them. The same can be said for the Reiki Symbols.

So fundamentally, I think we disagree, but we do agree on the fact that there is more to it than the naked eye shows.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:15 am

chi_solas wrote:I tell my clients I do not need to know their medical history nor do I need to know where their pains/aches are cause they are in charge of moving their energy. I'm just a facilitator. I debunk that I have power/ knowledge over them..... however I am compassionate about listening to their health issues and relating what works for me so they have a better understanding of how to empower themselves. They are their own healer.

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE that! flower
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:20 am

chi_solas wrote:I tell my clients I do not need to know their medical history nor do I need to know where their pains/aches are cause they are in charge of moving their energy. I'm just a facilitator. I debunk that I have power/ knowledge over them..... however I am compassionate about listening to their health issues and relating what works for me so they have a better understanding of how to empower themselves. They are their own healer.

LOVE, LOVE , LOVE that! flower

I also use a similar way of communicating with my clients. I really love empowering them. I find that so much more satisfying than just helping to alleviate a symptom.

EDIT: Not that my satisfaction has anything to do with it... I'm just saying.
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:25 am

OK, I have a huge problem, or .... NOT! Laughing Very Happy

I wholeheartedly agree with Andy and I wholeheartedly agree with Wayne.
    I believe both BELIEF system works. I don't think Reiki really cares, what, where and who,
    it's the Humans using Reiki who worry about right and wrong and other details!

Ultimately it is all about Compassion! Nothing else matters!
    I know both of you are loaded with it, therefore you both are correct, you both win!

cheers
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:35 am

Hiya Andy,
    First of, i'd like to say i appreciate your comprehensive reply, with you being at work, Smile .

Thaak wrote:Wayne,
    First, I think, and please correct me if I’m wrong, you consider Reiki the Energy and Reiki the Healing System irrevocably intertwined—essentially synonymous with one another. So if you are not using the Healing System, you cannot possibly be using the Energy.

Not at all, Smile. When i speak of Reiki, the experiental part that some refer to as 'energy', i've been very open in my use of 'divine' being my preferred way to describe it.

Within spirituality, all paths are valid. And i relay this even to all religions, i'm a fan of them all. It doesn't make sense i'd then beleive, or promote, there is one way to experience the divine.

We experience the divine in a certain way within the system of Reiki. Studying the initiation process helps show this. Although commonly an expereince of the divine can be had in many things, Reiki the system, is very specific in how this happens. This is what i always say when Reiki is specific, accessing something in a specific way. Smile .

Thaak wrote:
    Second, I think you are also saying that the Symbols are the System, and as such, you cannot use the system without the Symbols. And if the first statement above is true, you also cannot use the Energy without at least being initiated to CKR.

Yes, the symbols are the system of Reiki. If you came along, without having been initiated into anything Reiki-like, there is little liklehood you would initiate me into expereincing the divine as happens in Reiki(unless you had a great expereince similar to Usui sensei perhaps). How could you? you wouldn't have the symbols, placing them in certain areas.

Do you know why we place the symbols where we do? And what they do post-initiation? before something is dismissed, it's best knowing exactly what is being dismissed, hehe.

I don't remember mentioning CKR, maybe i did, i dunno. We aren't using 'energy'. We're experiencing an occurence, a phenomenon. Smile .

Thaak wrote:
    Thirdly, I think you are saying that only what Mikao Usui, and those of his lineage who remained true or pure to his teachings, taught can be legitimately called Reiki.

Am I right with the above statements?

No. Hehe. You see my signature? Usui Shiki Ryoho? I don't know what Usui sensei exactly taught. I have a belief who did. Takata sensei. Even that i havn't been fortunate enough to be taught. Yet i still use the term Reiki.

this is why i have made a statement that this forum is open to all styles. And most certainly would not have offered staff positions to friends whom i knew take different views than me. Not just you, but Admin also, Smile . There are many areas i differ with four of you in particular, and it was hoped the alternative inputs you guys give helps balance things out.

Hardly the actions of someone who feels only a certain way can truely be called Reiki. Eh?

Now that you've raised the point though.. I would personally prefer if folks who used the name 'Usui' at least attempted to teach what he may have taught, per the Japanese custom of teaching the named founders style accurately. Only my opinion though, hehe.

Thaak wrote:
    Reiki has since become a generic term to mean any energy. Indeed my Reiki Master taught that Reiki is just a term for energy, and Mana in Hawaii, Prana in India, Chi, Ki, or Qi in China, all mean the same thing.

They do? You could help me in the other topic then, bro, Smile . how come in Japan, Ki is called Ki, yet we experience REIki? any ideas what the Rei difference means?

Thaak wrote:
    Transcending the need for the tool means we can access that concept without having to use the tool.

Well to 'transcend', first it would help if we knew what we are 'transcending' from. Only then, can one make an informed choice. Smile

take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:37 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:OK, I have a huge problem, or .... NOT! Laughing Very Happy

I believe both BELIEF system works. I don't think Reiki really cares, what, where and who,

I know both of you are loaded with it, therefore you both are correct, you both win!

cheers

hehe... yes. You are correct. Just because we have differing belief systems does not mean either of us is wrong.

That's the beauty of metaphysicality. There doesn’t have to be a hard core write answer and wrong answer. Unlike most of the physical sciences.

And as for winning? Why, I think humanity wins when we have folks such as those on this board who care so much for one another that we are willing to have open, honest, and interesting discussion about how it all works.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:38 am

Thaak wrote:
    thehungrycaterpillar wrote:OK, I have a huge problem, or .... NOT! Laughing Very Happy

cheers

hehe... yes. You are correct. Just because we have differing belief systems does not mean either of us is wrong.

That's the beauty of metaphysicality. There doesn’t have to be a hard core write answer and wrong answer. Unlike most of the physical sciences.

And as for winning? Why, I think humanity wins when we have folks such as those on this board who care so much for one another that we are willing to have open, honest, and interesting discussion about how it all works.

Jeez, that's the first time we agreed on something today bro! let's not make a habit of it, we don't want the forum to get boring! lol!
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:17 am

Jeez, that's the first time we agreed on something today bro! let's not make a habit of it, we don't want the forum to get boring! lol!

On the contrary,
    Wayne, What you guys are talking about are facts that are all out there and TRUE! We need to hear it. I find it very educational! cheers

There is so much info out there that we are not exposed to and most of us are hearing first hand through you Guys!

I like that! Then it's up to the student what they want to do with the info, I like both systems and will take the best parts of both system that I find attracted to!

You guys haven't been Newbies in a long time , right?
    Life is tough for us.. Atleast you guys are slugging out Facts here, I've heard a whole lot of not -so -healthy ways of looking at Reiki , elsewhere.
    You have no idea how many closed, paranoid Reiki practitioners I've had the 'pleasure' of interacting with!

I want to write about it in another topic.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:35 am

Milarepa wrote:
    ... how come in Japan, Ki is called Ki, yet we experience REIki? any ideas what the Rei difference means?

A different perspective...

'Reiki' is one complete word in its own right

Yes, in order to write this particular* word 'Reiki', we use the two kanji which in isolation represent the words Rei, and Ki respectively - though Reiki is not 'Rei Ki'...

It is a common belief that, by breaking a thing down into its component parts, we may better understand it - yet here we may also encounter confusion...

Imagine someone who has been attempting to teach themself English as second language.

While they already have a substantial vocabulary, they have heard the following words, but do not know what they mean:
    Antelope, Legend, Idealist, Father, Gauntlet, Target

They decide that the easiest way to grasp the meaning of these words is to break them down into – as they see it – their component parts, and then simply combine the meanings of these parts

and so they begin:

"Antelope? Ant-elope... 'Ant' & 'Elope'! OK, I know these words. Now, just combine the meanings, and... wow, that was easy!"

"Antelope: an insect who runs away with their beloved"

and so, they begin to work their way through the remainder of the words:
    Legend - 'Leg' & 'End'
    Idealist – 'Idea' & 'List'
    Father – 'Fat' & 'Her'
    Gauntlet – 'Gaunt' & 'Let'

Simple, really!

Smile

______
    * There are several other Japanese words pronounced 'Reiki' which have totally different meanings.

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:39 am

Hi James,
    So, are you suggesting, it's maybe more worthwhile to get away from any 'Rei' & 'Ki', meanings, and instead, look to the word as whole, for a possible more precise meaning?

take care
    wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:43 am

You guys haven't been Newbies in a long time , right?

no, i still am. The more you think you know, the more you discover you actually don't, hehe. Well i do anyhow. Smile .

Being mistaken, fwiw, is more useful than being correct, ime anyhow. Only when i've been way of the mark have i had a chance to learn. Cause it's then i see clearly, there is something to learn. Smile .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:54 am