Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

"Origins" of Denju

Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

"Origins" of Denju Empty "Origins" of Denju

Post by Lambs-Wool Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:36 am

reference to an interesting thread named "what would happen if you did not get the symbols quite right" http://www.reikilearninglounge.com/the-reiki-symbols-f6/what-would-happen-if-you-did-not-get-the-symbols-quite-right-t885.htm#12535 , i have picked an important question put forward by Frank, for general discussion here in this independent thread :

Frank wrote:
    Lambs-Wool wrote:
    he certainly seems to have 'revealed' symbols at a later stage to convert his system from 'transmittory' (i.e., reiju) to 'initiatory' (i.e., denju)...

In 1915 he already used the mantras (jumon). In 1923 he introduced the symbols.
    As far as I now Usui gave reiju, not denju. Some believe he didn't even need a physical ritual to be able to do it (I believe that's true, because when giving reiju it is not about the physical movements, it's about the spiritual and energetic mechanism).

Where did you find that Usui-sensei certainly used symbols in some initiatory ritual at some point?

Introducing symbols (1923) for students to work with doesn't necessarily mean that Usui-sensei used them in reiju/denju.

hi Frank Smile

i m not good at history of reiki and given my highly hectic work/professional routine, i wish but haven't yet succeeded squeezing due time to pick up on the history research, so i mostly try to speculate in a manner like : 'what must have had happened' ? Smile please correct me as soon as you feel i m going against the accurate facts....

as you said that Usui Sensei introduced symbols in 1923, we have to see for which reason he might have needed to introduce symbols : i can gather that there are two possiblities, one would be 'to serve as training wheels' for students who had been facing troubles connecting to reiki energy, and second 'as a quick fix' for the needs of potential students who didn't have time to go through long process of getting reiki ability through reiju and this would be seen as Usui's desire to see his system propagting forwards and onwards'

if we limit our supposition that Usui introduced symbols but didn't use them for any initiatory ritual, then we are left with only one possibility that for Usui, the use of symbols was to strengthen the reiki ability of students who already had got reiki ability through regular reiju sessions... my mind wonders that if he didn't intend symbols for initiations (and for that matter the denju system), then why did he invented the 'first add-on' in reiki by himself ? was his system incomplete without symbols? was his reiju insufficient to cater the needs of students ? and if he would have thought that symbols will enhance reiki ability of particularly those students who were unable to receive reiju regularly from him, then this raises a very possible locus of looking around that why he would not invent a system for such students that would be based on something like getting reiki ability not directly from Usui, but from people who were directly trained by Usui... so if Usui was so concerned to augment reiki ability for those students who could not afford to see him regularly, cannot we suppose that he was equally concerned that there must be some mechanism through which reiki ability could be acquired by people who had never met him in person ?

lets see all this from another angle... different styles of reiki have different take when we talk about Takata Sensei... some would say that she changed system for some practical reasons, etc. etc. but there are not too many differences of opinions as far as Hayashi Sensei is concerned... while many would believe that Hayashi Sensei added his medical wisdom to the reiki system inherited from Usui, there are lesser debates around the possibilities that Hayashi Sensei took away anything from original system (contradistincitvely seen as in Takta's case)...

so if Hayashi passed on reiki system to people onwards, from where would he got the ability to do so... was the 'initiation ritual' his invention ? and did he only got confirmation of Usui sensei afterwards after having made this invention.....

there is some catch Frank, but i can't locate where it is... how do you see all this ?

Smile

take care

salman

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:06 am