Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

3 posters

Reiki Evolutions of Thought

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki Evolutions of Thought Empty Reiki Evolutions of Thought

Post by LightBody Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:53 am

INTRODUCTION

I read a thread about "using Reiki for bigger breasts" thread in another forum, and it gave me reason to reflect back on the history of Reiki... or perhaps that is better said the Evolutions of Thought in Reiki.

A historical timeline of Reiki can be found on James Deacon's website here http://www.aetw.org/reiki_history_tl.html and on Wikipedia here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Reiki_history.

EVOLUTIONS OF THOUGHT IN REIKI

1980's

One popular story circulated by Reiki teachers was that if you wore a watch during a Reiki treatment, the watch may stop working.

Analogies to The Force of the movie Star Wars were at their height.

Reiki was a means to cure disease.

Reiki Attunements are taught to be permanent, one done can never be lost by the practitioner.

Iris Ishikuru and Arthur Robertson began integrating aspects of Tibetan mysticism into Reiki.

PatrickZ's SKHM symbols became the rage.

1990's

A debate within the hospice community emerges: if the hospice patient doesn't pay for the Reiki treatment, is it Reiki???

The cost of the Reiki Master attunement began to drop from $10,000 to something more affordable for most, with some providers charging $5,000, $3,000 and even as low as $800.

Internet newsgroup AHR (alt.healing.reiki) emerges.

Era of The Reiki Wars begins.

Free Distance Reiki attunements emerged around 1996 (internet newsgroups).

Reiki schools with a large student base began to emerge (Kathleen Milner, Diane Stein, William Rand, Rick Rivard).

A few Reiki Masters begin to provide Reiki Grandmaster Attunements, and providing certificates bearing that title to their students.

Some Reiki Masters begin to undo or remove Reiki attunements from students who did not complete their payments to the Reiki Master.

The Reiki Alliance attempts to trademark the word Reiki.

Some Reiki Alliance Masters and many Independent Reiki Masters begin to declare attunements of others "not Reiki," and in some cases even harmful.

Light & Adonea's free Geocity webpages become essential resource guides to many.

Internet forum Reiki-4-All emerges.

2000's

Massage schools begin to add Reiki as an additional class they offer their massage students.

Reiki Grandmaster Attunements become popular.

Japanese forms of Reiki become popular.

Several Japanese men emerge, claiming direct lineage to Usui that did not include Takata.

An Australian group of Reiki Masters circulates one of Rick Rivard's attunement manuals that includes photographs of him demonstrating an attunement on his wife as their own.

Some Reiki practitioners/teachers claim Japanese Reiki is more valid than Takata's Reiki.

Vincent Amador emerges, publishing the first Reiki Manual freely available on the internet (now only available through archive.org).

James Deacon creates All-Energies Therapies Web (AETW) to provide free Reiki articles and information to all.

Online Distance Reiki Attunements become more popular, emerging on e-Bay and other online sources.

Era of Reiki Wars ends.

The general health industry begins to notice Reiki.

Some Reiki practitioners stop promoting Reiki as a cure to disease and approach it as a spiritual practice of healing.

Online attunements begin to lose their appeal. A trend towards learning Reiki in person in a live group setting begins.

Internet forum Reiki-4-All simply disappears.

"Everybody" begins to create their own Reiki Facebook group.

The Reiki Facebook groups are not as popular as their creators hope.

Wayne Harrison creates the Reiki Learning Lounge.

Distance attunements are generally acknowledged by Reiki practitioners, but there is a greater tendency to prefer experiencing Reiki training in person.

A new trend in Reiki emerges, that of using Reiki to accomplish specific goals. While charging a car battery seemed to be a cute and funny idea in the 1990's, in 2011 Reiki practitioners seek to use Reiki from increasing business to even increasing the size of their breasts.

Another new trend in Reiki emerges. Practitioners begin to openly share the troubles in their life that they had to overcome, and how Reiki helped them emerge through those troubles.

Some people begin to attribute problems in their life to Reiki, believing the person providing them Reiki also provided them negative energy.

Any additions or corrections?

Last edited by LightBody on Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:33 pm; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated introduction.)
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Reiki Evolutions of Thought Empty Re: Reiki Evolutions of Thought

Post by Rlei_ki Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:24 am

Buck wrote:
    Any additions or corrections?

Hi Buck,

Iris Ishikuru and John Robertson began integrating aspects of Tibetan mysticism into Reiki.

Shouldn't that be Arthur Robertson?

Japanese Reiki becomes more valid than Takata's Reiki.
    Shocked

Perhaps, in an attempt to avoid opening up a new era of Reiki Wars, this statement could be reworded along the lines of
    "Japanese Reiki is claimed by some to be more valid than Takata's Reiki." Laughing

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:32 am

Hi James.

Thanks, I made the corrections you suggested, and made an addition to 2011 (practitioners sharing the troubles they ovecame with Reiki).

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:51 am

Buck wrote:Hi James.

Thanks, I made the corrections you suggested, and made an addition to 2011 (practitioners sharing the troubles they ovecame with Reiki).

How about mention of the rise in popularity of the title "Reiki Grandmaster" [used particularly in India] for teaching masters - and also the creation of the numerous additional "Grandmaster" levels (18, I think, at last count)

silent
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 am

Very good, thank you. I've added "Some Reiki Masters begin to provide Reiki Grandmaster Attunements, and providing certificates bearing that title to their students." to the 1990's (I don't think that trend started in the 80's).

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:09 am

Buck wrote:Very good, thank you. I've added "Some Reiki Masters begin to provide Reiki Grandmaster Attunements, and providing certificates bearing that title to their students." to the 1990's (I don't think that trend started in the 80's).

[Replied to this earlier but the forum seems to have eaten my post!]

Should this perhaps be under the 2000's heading ?
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:40 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Buck wrote:...Reiki Grandmaster Attunements....

Should this perhaps be under the 2000's heading ?

I thought about that, but believe I recall seeing ads for it around 1998 on AHR, but you are right, in the 2000's it became even more popular.

I'll ask Garry when the first time is that he recalls seeing Grandmaster Attunements.

Thanks
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:44 am

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:32 pm

Well remembered!
    BTW, I notice the post also mentions Joe Sparti (Shadowolf), now there's a 'blast from the past!

Very Happy
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Shadowolf

Indeed he does bring up many memories! I still remember when both of us got scolded for arguing with each other... we were scolded because we were arguing against each other but saying the same thing (and others just got tired of the arguments).

He also represents an evolution of thought that seems to have passed away with him... it was his "oneness" attunement, which was all three attunements at once... oh, and that's another evolution of though... the division of attunements (and I noticed that there are some 18+ levels of the Reiki Grandmaster Attunement).

And thank you for serving as such a wonderful impetus!

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:45 am

I also remember Shadowolf very fondly! Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm