Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Milarepa
CpillaYogaReiki
Carina_NZ
prd
8 posters

Preparation for Treatment

prd
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Preparation for Treatment Empty Preparation for Treatment

Post by prd Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:54 pm

I am interested to hear everyone's ideas on how they prepare themselves and the room for a Reiki treatment. Also, what instructions do you give the client? What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment? Also, how do you end the session? How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client? How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end? I hope that isn't too many questions at once. I would love to hear about everyone's different styles. Thanks
    Carina_NZ
    Carina_NZ

Preparation for Treatment Empty Re: Preparation for Treatment

Post by Carina_NZ Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:58 pm

i expected that there would be more replies!

i will tell you what i do for someone that hasn't had a reiki session (with me) before,
    and one that has.

how they prepare themselves and the room for a Reiki treatment.
    - i wash my hands and face and clean my teeth. i use deoderant and make sure my clothes are clean.
    for the room - i light a candle, and using my rattles i go through a medicine woman/shaman chant to open sacred space. (happy to expand on this if you ask)
    i use symbols on the walls (my teacher does it in the corner) and the floor and ceiling. sometimes i place them on the table and in the chairs. then i put on some music, maybe light some incense and sit channeling reiki to me for a few minutes before the client arrives. i have a glass of water for them handy, and a tissue. on the wall is 2 signs one says "a reiki session is typically done in silence, but if you feel the need to speak you are welcome to" and another one that says "please do not get up until you are ready. there is no hurry. take your time"

Also, what instructions do you give the client?

for a client that hasn't come before, we chat first so they're comfortable with me as a person. we talk about why they've come and what they expect. as well as how i work. i say to lie on the table and ask them to say (outloud or to themselves) why they want reiki today. i tell them that i will work on their energy centres and give quick demo on my own body, from top to hips. then i say that i may do their knees and their feet. when i'm done they'll feel me squeeze their ankles.
    for a client that has come before i ask if they had any issues with the last one, and get them to jump on the table. and reaffirm what they want it for today (each time is different)

What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment?
    - if i see someone struggling to relax, i give them a breathing exercise. it might be about breathing slow, or deeply, or breathing through cycles of colour. depends what i'm guided to say. i find if i make my breathing slightly louder, they relax along with it. also, remember i have soft music playing...

Also, how do you end the session?
    - i stroke their legs from the knees downwards to the feet three times and squeeze their ankles. i do this to ground their energy as well as let them know i'm done. and then i place my hands together in gratitude.

How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client?
    - the space is set - there is no protection required. the shaman opening i talked about has a closing to it. that is the cleansing for afterwards.

How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end?
    - i give the water and ask how they're feeling. they usually start talking about how it was, or start of askign me what was going on when.... i tend to follow my intuition here about how much to share and how much not to. the reality is that it doesn't matter what i saw - the energy has shifted and balanced. but the stories can be amazingly accurate when described and helpful to take away too. once or twice i've had someone get up and go thanks - and leave. that was weird for me, but perfectly fine at the same time. it is what it is.
    CpillaYogaReiki
    CpillaYogaReiki
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by CpillaYogaReiki Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:06 am

Carina_NZ, that's really useful information!

I especially like how you end your session, and the signs you have on the wall. Those are things I have struggled with finding a harmonic way of doing/explaining. What you've done is so simple.

I am curious a bit about the shamanic opening and closing that you use. I'm just now beginning to get into shamanism and would love to hear more about how you use it with Reiki.

Thank you so much! bounce
    Carina_NZ
    Carina_NZ

Post by Carina_NZ Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am

my friend started on this path and recommends this book
    Shaman, Healer, Sage. the opening txt is in that book. available here

i listened, felt and watched and sort of made up my own copy.
    it's about calling in the spirits from all 4 directions, understanding their purpose in holding the space. and invoking the Mother Earth and The Great Spirit with honour and gratitude. it's quite a cool feeling once you say it all out loud and jsut stand with eyes closed in the magnificence of the room.

From the book:
    I’ll delve deeper into each direction in later posts, but here is a little appetizer:

The winds of the South teach us to shed the past the way the Serpent sheds her skin. We must let go of ideas, imprints, programs, and other wounds so that we can then experience a rebirth, allowing us to then fill the void with healing, compassion, love, and our lost power.
    The winds of the West teach us how to heal and become luminous warriors, protected by Mother Jaguar. We step beyond our fear, and learn the way of peace, to live impeccably upon the Earth.
    The winds of the North, Hummingbird, bring us wisdom from Grandmothers and Grandfathers, the Ancient Ones. We are not alone in our endeavors, and we honor those who have come before us, and those who will come after us.
    The winds of the East teach us to fly with the Eagle, Condor, showing us the world as we have never seen it before, opening our eyes to the bigger picture (literally, a bird’s eye view!).
    Mother Earth nourishes and grounds us, in all that we endeavor, and connects us to all of our relations, whether they are stone, plant, finned, furred, four-legged, or two-legged.
    Father Sun, Grandmother Moon, and the Star Nations shine their light on us, guiding and helping us connect with the Great Spirit, the unnamable One, the infinite divine.

i do this so that even meeting, talking can have a sacred space to effect changes (comes in handy with the life coaching). i notice the healings aren' quite as 'cool' if i dont do this (for whatever reason)

Last edited by Carina_NZ on Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:13 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add excerpt from the book/website)
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:18 am

Warm welcome to the forum!

prd wrote:I am interested to hear everyone's ideas on how they prepare themselves and the room for a Reiki treatment.

I don't do anything! Used to do everythng!!!!

prd wrote:
    Also, what instructions do you give the client?

Just to relax, sit still, maybe close eyes, and they may feel heat or coolness.

prd wrote:
    What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment?

they can think whatever they like.

prd wrote:
    Also, how do you end the session?

Taking their cash and shoving them out the door...

Haha. No, i just stop doing the treatment.

prd wrote:
    How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client?

Reiki gives all the protection. Not that I really need protecting from anthing. Except maybe myself!!!!

prd wrote:
    How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end?

I dunno. maybe just listen and chat with the person.

prd wrote:
    I hope that isn't too many questions at once. I would love to hear about everyone's different styles. Thanks

Questions are good.

Sometimes, well often, we lump too many things, often not neccessary, in with anything we do in life. Smile .

Warmest wishes

Wayne
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

Milarepa wrote:Taking their cash and shoving them out the door...

What - you mean you don't ask for payment up front?! ... Shocked

Laughing
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:33 pm

good topic Smile

if the session involves a money consideration, i have to create an environment in which an incoming new client gets a better feeling that he is getting something in return of what he is paying for... a thoughtful arrangement of the reiki room, silence, incense and light music, my serious (and sacred) gestures during the treatment, etc. contribute greatly in making the impression

once set, i gradually come to my intuitive natural style of treatment in next consecutive sessions... whenever i feel, i obtain guidance from reiji... sometime i gently tap on the problematic area... sometimes i will blow out on the diseased area like knees or ankles.. sometimes i will put my hands slightly above the troubled area (in the air) and let things to happen... sometimes i will talk freely with client about how they feel, sometimes i will create an artificial silence in which client feels like telling me what he is feeling, but cannot, due to the silent atmosphere, but in this restriction, he keeps his focus on himself and on his feelings as would promote during the session...

my personal opinion is that when we automate the reiki session by following a 'set of instructions' in a 'what to do' like fashion, we are taking away the beauty of reiki session... reiki session is not like a cook-book thing in a recipe... it is intuition, love, feelings, compassion, and concern...

when you hold the healing space, have compassion and right attitude, all that needs to be set, is already set for the reiki session...

DISCLAIMER :
    at your own risk please Smile

take care

salman

Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki

Post by Rlei_ki Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 pm

prd wrote:...how they prepare themselves

Stop what I was doing. Breathe. Take a moment to re-focus my attention from what I was doing, to the state of "sharing Reiki".

prd wrote:...and the room
    The room should be 'welcoming' for the client - nothing distracting to the senses.

Beyond that: There is no room, there is only the client

prd wrote: Also, what instructions do you give the client?

Be comfortable - relax as much or as little as you wish.

prd wrote: What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment?

There in so need to 'do' anything, except perhaps, Enjoy.

prd wrote:Also, how do you end the session?
    Depends on the individual client and how the session progressed.

The nerve stroke, perhaps. Often, a couple of moments focussing on the tanden.

(or, to help re-focus the client's attention outwards towards the 'world' once more - shouting: Oh heck! Quick! Spider!! Twisted Evil )

prd wrote:How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client?

I protect myself by sharing Reiki with them
    I protect the client by sharing only Reiki with them

prd wrote:How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end?

As with all things about the session, this depends on the client.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:23 am

affraid what happened to my post scratch
    Preparation for Treatment 850837 I'll have to come back
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:24 am

Rlei_ki wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:Taking their cash and shoving them out the door...

What - you mean you don't ask for payment up front?! ... Shocked

Laughing

Ya know, it's been that long since I treated anyone other than myself (i'm a shellfish bugger) I can't remember!!!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:08 am

prd wrote:I am interested to hear everyone's ideas on how they prepare themselves and the room for a Reiki treatment.

If possible create a sacred place that
    is free from distraction like phones/TV
    Some folks will cover up TV'S if that's
    the only room they have available. Using
    lavender/sage creates a calmness. Its
    helpful if the practitioner wears calming
    colors. Preparation for Treatment 850837 sunny

Also, what instructions do you give the client? What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment? Also, how do you end the session?

First you welcome your client and
    in keeping with the calm space you
    created, your client will feel welcome
    and ready to relax on the massage table
    with a light blanket covering, as a
    client relaxes their body temperature
    drops, so make sure they are warm.
    You can explain the simple hands on
    and that if they feel heat/cold or
    twitching that's the Reiki Energy at
    work and reassure your client that at
    anytime they feel the need to stop the
    session that's OK. Also ask them if it's
    OK for you to lay hands on. Most folks
    will welcome hands on. I have had a few
    clients who preferred no touching.Same
    with music its the clients choice. Very Happy flower

To start a session you might want to guide
    your client in a soft voice to think of a
    peaceful place they like to go to. Tell them
    to go there and start your session, as you
    come to the closure of the session tell you
    client in a soft voice, with your hands on
    their shoulder, "its time to come back from
    your peaceful place, knowing you can go back
    there anytime you want to" dis-connect your
    hands give your client a few minutes then
    tell them to slowly sit up and offer them some
    water. sunny

How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client? How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end? I hope that isn't too many questions at once. I would love to hear about everyone's different styles. Thanks

Because you have created a sacred safe place
    there is no need to debrief. Some practitioners
    do what's called raking. It's sweeping your hands
    from your shoulders down your arms and flicking
    your hand in a motion like shaking stuff off. affraid sunny
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:33 am

I particularly liked waynes answer number 5 and james' number 6!!

Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 am

for me preperation of the room depends on where I'm offering the treatment, if I'm going to a clients home, hotel room or working in a care home where clients might be wheelchair bound or bed bound with lots of medical machinery around the bed, then it's not always so easy to 'create' that special environment one can when one is working from their own room.

So I've learnt to be extremely adaptable to the set of circumstances I find myself in.

When I work with any client I take a brief consultation ( taking down their medical history etc......but always keep it brief and let them know they need only share any information with me that makes them feel comfortable and any information they do shre is strictly confidential)

Last edited by Pachamama on Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:48 am

I then explain how I work and tell them where I might be likely to place my hands and ask them if they feel comfortable with me touching them or would they rather I work with my hands above the body......

some clients would rather be seated some enjoy lying down.......we establish which they would prefer. I explain about some of the feelings they may have and also tell them that on occassion they might feel a stirring of emotions and feel the need to laugh or cry.....( I try and cover all bases so as to make them feel as informed as possible.) I ask them if the would rather experience the session in silence or have a little music in the background....

when the client and I have established the preferred setting I proceed by simply standing either behind them ( I usually start at the head) or to the side depending on access..... I hold my hands in Gassho ( prayer position) close my eyes and ask that the Reiki flows for the greatest good and highest outcome for the client......if they have asked for a particular issue to be resolved, then I ask that the Reiki flows to this end.
    Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:58 am

( sorry posting in snippets, otherwise I may press something and lose the whole lot!!)

I then step to one side of myself, and let the Reiki do it;s thing, taking and leaving my hands only where I feel compelled to do so.

at the end of the session I go back to the head and consciously visualise energy coming up from the souls of the feet, then go down to the feet and consciously visualise energy flowing down from the to of the head.........when I can see in my minds eye and feel in my heart that the energy feels balanced..... I step to one side of the client and gently stroke down their aura ( energy field around the body) I imagine a beautiful bubble of energy around the client filled with the most beautiful vibrations of love and light, Sometimes I see lots of pink and silver when I do this sometimes I just feel it. Then I place my hands in Gassho again and thank the Reiki and the client and my 'healing friends in Spirit' do this silently in my head...then I gently tap the client on the shoulder and let them know the session has finished and tell them not to rush to get up..( they are usually quite zonked out by then but not always some people can be quite lively!)..then I go off to wash my hands come back and if the client has stirred and awakened enough we have a little chat.

Pachamama

Post by Pachamama Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:26 am

chi_solas wrote:

If possible create a sacred place that
    is free from distraction like phones/TV
    Some folks will cover up TV'S if that's
    the only room they have available. Using
    lavender/sage creates a calmness. Its
    helpful if the practitioner wears calming
    colors. Preparation for Treatment 850837 sunny

Also, what instructions do you give the client? What suggestions (if any) do you give the client about what to do/not do or think about/not think about during the treatment? Also, how do you end the session?

First you welcome your client and
    in keeping with the calm space you
    created, your client will feel welcome
    and ready to relax on the massage table
    with a light blanket covering, as a
    client relaxes their body temperature
    drops, so make sure they are warm.
    You can explain the simple hands on
    and that if they feel heat/cold or
    twitching that's the Reiki Energy at
    work and reassure your client that at
    anytime they feel the need to stop the
    session that's OK. Also ask them if it's
    OK for you to lay hands on. Most folks
    will welcome hands on. I have had a few
    clients who preferred no touching.Same
    with music its the clients choice. Very Happy flower

To start a session you might want to guide
    your client in a soft voice to think of a
    peaceful place they like to go to. Tell them
    to go there and start your session, as you
    come to the closure of the session tell you
    client in a soft voice, with your hands on
    their shoulder, "its time to come back from
    your peaceful place, knowing you can go back
    there anytime you want to" dis-connect your
    hands give your client a few minutes then
    tell them to slowly sit up and offer them some
    water. sunny

How do you cleanse/protect yourself and the client? How do you (if you do) conduct a debriefing at the end? I hope that isn't too many questions at once. I would love to hear about everyone's different styles. Thanks

Because you have created a sacred safe place
    there is no need to debrief. Some practitioners
    do what's called raking. It's sweeping your hands
    from your shoulders down your arms and flicking
    your hand in a motion like shaking stuff off. affraid sunny

Ken Yoku - dry bathing, I was taught this within Reiki and also taught a similar thing with spiritual healing I did prior to Reiki, I used to do this as part of my training years ago...but it has not felt necessary to me for quite a few years. I was also taught to put the symbols in the room prior to healing, visualise the symbols on my hands etc..... again I did this in the beginning, but it doesn't feel necessary ... I love you

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:10 am