Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Anata
LightBody
6 posters

YouTube videos in posts

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

YouTube videos in posts Empty YouTube videos in posts

Post by LightBody Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am

Hi everyone.

You may or may not know that during these last few months of 2012 I have been taking several college courses. Those courses involve teaching me how to write professionally for magazines, and how to produce two types of magazines as well (one contemporary lifestyle, the other literary). These courses have consumed most of my time, which is why I have not been available to participate in discussions.

However, all of that changes tonight. Tonight is my last final exam (it's going to be easy and is stress free), and then I'm free to begin actively participating here as is my norm... but the new year is just around the corner, and the new year is always a time for new beginnings.

This next year, I want to experiment doing something "new", and that is reply to some posts by way of a YouTube video rather than just by typing. Some time ago I acted on impulse and replied to a post from a new member in that way, and we haven't seen anything from him since... I don't want to make that mistake again, so that's why I'm advising you of my intent.

I'm not going to create video replies to all posts, but once in a while for the sake of variety (and the sake of giving my fingers a rest from the keyboard), I may do so.

If you have any objections or concerns, please feel free to send me a private message or reply in public here.

Love & Light,
    Kiyo

Anata
    Anata

YouTube videos in posts Empty Re: YouTube videos in posts

Post by Anata Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58 am

Several years ago my classmate whom I had not seen for about twenty years found me in a social net. He sent me a message, I answered him. Suddenly I realized that he was online. I sent him a message immediately with my phone numbers and said: “We have not seen each other for ages, it is too much to write, let’s talk alive.” Do you know his reaction? He disappeared!
    The same story was with some other people.
    But… There were people who were calling me or sent their phone numbers in the same situations and we had very interesting long conversations. I even visited some of my University mates whose contacts were lost many years ago!

Lightbody, I do not think that the person whom you answered disappeared because of “something new”.
    If you look on the forum you can notice easily that it is full of unfinished stories.
    For example, people ask how to open their Reiki practice but nobody writes about the result.
    People ask: ”Do I need reattunement as I have not practiced Reiki for more then a year?” They get a reply and… Nobody is writing if they started practicing or not…
    Your case could be one of these “unfinished stories”.

And there is another sore point about the Internet.
    Sometimes it is much easier to communicate with somebody unknown, with somebody who hides behind his avatar then with a real alive person.
    I think you can try posting your video answers but find the words for them carefully. May be you should even write a draft of your speech on a piece of paper.

Well, it a wellknown fact: if we type and if we write the different parts of our brain are involved in the process! Idea
    osamenor
    osamenor

Post by osamenor Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:06 am

One concern: posting videos will make your posts, and possibly the whole threads, inaccessible to some people. If anyone has a slow internet connection, the video may not load, and it may interfere with loading the rest of the thread as well. And people who don't have sound, or are in a situation where they can't use sound, or are deaf, won't be able to hear your posts, so that would limit their participation in the discussion.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:55 am

A way around it would be to place text alongside the youtube video. Or, Kiyo, we could see/trial a new section dealing with forum discussion by that media. I'm definitely a supporter of the forum trying new things!
    Lolo_Reiki
    Lolo_Reiki
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Lolo_Reiki Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:09 am

Anata, I haven't reached the post limit to send you a private message yet, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to write such a kind and wise post to Kiyo. Your words are very true. I've found myself "disappearing" at times, and now I'm pondering that.

Kiyo - I am always very interested in video pertaining to Reiki. I'm very new, so I only know what my RM, my classmates (2), and what I do. (And books, etc.)
    Anata
    Anata

Post by Anata Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10 pm

Dear Wainy,
    you’ve written nearly the same words which I was planning to add to this topic! I think a phrase like this can be added to any video reply: “ Let me know if you can not watch this video due to technical or other reasons. I am ready to leave my answer in a written form here.”
    There is another tip for Kiyo and for other people who might be using video. Please keep in mind that there are people who are not native speakers of English. It is important to avoide collocvial words and speak clearly.

I think video carries more information than words. Sometimes it is very important to see WHO is talking with you. Eyes, the voice, the intonation tell something important too.

Let me deviate again. Smile
    There is a fantastic film “Young at heart” which was shown on Russian TV several years ago. This film is about a quire in America in which eldery people aged 60, 70 and even more are singing. They sing different pop songs. And these songs sound very different! “We can, can, can, we must have can…”- I would not even mind to listen to these words sung by a young boy. But when you hear it from an eldery person you feel that this plain and may be stupid words get enormous power! “Should I stay or should I go…” This phrase sung by a nice 18-years old girl would not force me to think about something serious. But when this phrase is sung by an eldery lady it changes the meaning of the song completely. You realize that if she does not have enough love now she might go into ANOTHER world…
    I recommend everybody to watch this film. I’ve just found this link to it. I am planning to see it once more. Smile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uOOhm8Fj8
    I have to correct my post as I put a wrong link first. I leave a new link here. I am sorry for the bad quality of the video. May be somebody else can find a better link. At least it is a chance to start watching the film and get interested!
    http://www.1-film-online.com/?p=18246

Lolo Reiki, thank you for your words.

Last edited by Anata on Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong link)
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:59 am

Anata, Excellent Thanks for sharing.
    Your right, seeing the action /tone
    makes a difference. sunny

I just signed on to skype its fun
    talking with my grandchildren. Arrow flower

Anata wrote:Dear Wainy,
    you’ve written nearly the same words which I was planning to add to this topic! I think a phrase like this can be added to any video reply: “ Let me know if you can not watch this video due to technical or other reasons. I am ready to leave my answer in a written form here.”
    There is another tip for Kiyo and for other people who might be using video. Please keep in mind that there are people who are not native speakers of English. It is important to avoide collocvial words and speak clearly.

I think video carries more information than words. Sometimes it is very important to see WHO is talking with you. Eyes, the voice, the intonation tell something important too.

Let me deviate again. Smile
    There is a fantastic film “Young at heart” which was shown on Russian TV several years ago. This film is about a quire in America in which eldery people aged 60, 70 and even more are singing. They sing different pop songs. And these songs sound very different! “We can, can, can, we must have can…”- I would not even mind to listen to these words sung by a young boy. But when you hear it from an eldery person you feel that this plain and may be stupid words get enormous power! “Should I stay or should I go…” This phrase sung by a nice 18-years old girl would not force me to think about something serious. But when this phrase is sung by an eldery lady it changes the meaning of the song completely. You realize that if she does not have enough love now she might go into ANOTHER world…
    I recommend everybody to watch this film. I’ve just found this link to it. I am planning to see it once more. Smile
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3uOOhm8Fj8

Lolo Reiki, thank you for your words.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am