Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+3
Thaak
Milarepa
Pandora
7 posters

I have a question...

Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

I have a question... Empty I have a question...

Post by Pandora Sun May 24, 2009 7:14 pm

I think I have as a student someone who is more advanced than I am... he's a Buddhist and practises Tai Chi. My guides tell me he needs to be attuned to Reiki. As I passed his attunement yesterday, I began and then questioned whether I really needed to do this, and got the emphatic reply "Go right ahead - he needs you to do it!" and I noticed as I did so, he was shaking.

It's a very weird feeling. I think he'll probably do his Level 3 by the end of this year. In some ways I feel privileged, but mostly I feel confused. Any thoughts? confused
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

I have a question... Empty Re: I have a question...

Post by Milarepa Sun May 24, 2009 11:50 pm

Pandora wrote:I think I have as a student someone who is more advanced than I am... he's a Buddhist and practises Tai Chi.

More 'advanced' at what Chris? Although he's a background in other things, you're teaching him Reiki, Smile .

Pandora wrote:
    In some ways I feel privileged,

Yeah, it's always an honour to be a witness to someone beginning a spiritual path.

Pandora wrote:
    but mostly I feel confused. Any thoughts? confused

You're asking yourself if you needed to initiate him? Did he feel he needed to be initiated? Folks experiencing other things in spiritual paths do tend to want to expand their repotoire. Even folks within Reiki feel this way also. If that's what he felt he wanted, he'd know best, as far as that aspect is concerned.

Only thing i'd personally concern myself with, was whether i should teach any one person. As in, what kinda person they are, will they take the process, and path, sincerely. Smile .

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon May 25, 2009 2:33 am

Milarepa wrote:

Only thing i'd personally concern myself with, was whether i should teach any one person. As in, what kinda person they are, will they take the process, and path, sincerely. Smile .

Take care
    Wayne

My philosophy as a teacher is called Freirean, after Paulo Freire who was a Brazilian adult educator. He held certain beliefs about education: one was that teachers are not the fount of all knowledge, and learners are not empty vessels to be filled by the teachers (the "banking" theory of education, where teachers deposit knowledge in the students educational bank account). Rather, learners are responsible for their own learning, and as adults should decide what and how they learn. Teachers in this model are guides along the path that learners follow. It's therefore not up to me to be responsible for whether my student learns, but my student's responsibility. I just hold a key that they need.

Another of Freire's philosophies was that learners already have expertise in whatever, even if they don't know: even if they come to study a martial arts, they have expertise in life and being a human being. This needs to be taken into consideration. Following Freire's philosophy, one comes to realise that teachers have equal standing with learners: in fact, the learners have more of the power than the teachers as they are the only ones who can learn (assuming the teacher already knows, that is).

I think I might have received the student I need at this point in time...
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon May 25, 2009 3:25 am

My own opinion comes from an assumption of Usui sensei's attitude. The most likely reason that he taught so many level 1, but so few level 3, is along the lines of my above quote you've used.

Most notably, as a teacher, i'm responsible for the decision to take on any single student. With spiritual gifts, should come great responsibility. In fact, it's been said within certain spiritual paths, one is also karmically bound to their student.

IMO, of course, hehe.

Take care
    Wayne
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon May 25, 2009 3:39 am

Pandora wrote:
    I think I might have received the student I need at this point in time...

I personally believe that a true teacher is one that is willing to learn at all times.

A true teacher is one who doesn't seek to teach, but rather seeks to be what they know, and let their students learn in that fashion. In other words, it is a form of Ayni or transmission from teacher to student.

A true teacher is only a master when they realize they have as much to learn from their students as they have to teach.

You have realized the first thing on this path Pandora, that you have received a student who will be as good for you, as you will be for him.

You are being a true teacher for this student.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon May 25, 2009 6:27 am

In deed, Andy, Freire himself used to refer to the participants in his classes as "teacher/learners" - no distinction between teachers and learners, save the one that the teachers facilitated the learning of the students. The teachers were always learning about the students as well as how to teach them, and about the subject.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon May 25, 2009 6:33 am

I've had another conversation with my friend, and she was charged £250 for her Advanced Reiki Healer (Level 3a I suppose), and could be charged £700 for her Reiki Master Teacher (Level 3b) making a total of nearly £1000 for a Level 3. My friend does feel a little ripped off, particularly as it represents over twice as much as other RMs charge! Another friend has suggested her RM has quoted this so she will be put off and not take students away from her!

There's the question of accreditation of what is taught which is a hot potato in the UK at the moment, with no real sign of an agreement on what should be taught, let alone how it is marked or assessed. I wonder if we have others here with more up to date knowledge of what's going on than I have?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon May 25, 2009 7:14 am

Pandora wrote:
    There's the question of accreditation of what is taught which is a hot potato in the UK at the moment, with no real sign of an agreement on what should be taught, let alone how it is marked or assessed. I wonder if we have others here with more up to date knowledge of what's going on than I have?

Havn't been following all the developments. The Reiki Regulatory Working Group, is a personal joke to me, hehe. Sorry, i should say - The Reiki Council, as it's now called.

With a wry smile, i look to Section 1, part E, of their Codes of Ethics. Then think of certain individuals heavily involved in their decision making, and think, oh my god! They should sort their own 'house' out, before trying to sort ours, hehe.

Take care
    Wayne
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Pandora,

Just putting in my two cents here as a teacher (and forever student!).

I usually keep time frames between my classes as in 3 mos. between Level 1 and 2, six mos. between Level 2 and 3 etc. I had one student who was a very spiritually elevated person and after his Level 1 class and learning about him and who he was and where he was at in that particular moment I decided that there was no need for him to wait the full 3 months. He was eager to learn and move to the next level in sincerity and with all his heart. Within 2 mos. he received his Level 2 certification. He's a great practitioner and is in no rush to move to Level 3 but has expressed a desire some day to do so.

I also have another student who is a martial arts practitioner; does tai chi and qi gong on a daily basis along with meditation. I must say that teaching him and attuning him to Level 1 was a unique experience for me. He just absorbed the reiki energy like a sponge. He was so easy to teach. I never had to repeat a thing and it went so smoothly and quickly it was like skating across perfect ice! Zoom! I'm gathering that all the other energy practices kind of opened the door for reiki. After his Level 1 class he came to me for a reiki session and the movement of reiki through his body was incredible; he even commented on how he had many sensations and experienced different subtleties and changes in the energy in his body(s).

It's amazing, no two students are alike, no two sessions are a like ever. Reiki is almost akin to snowflakes; no two processes are ever the same. And, I feel because of thise we, a practitioners, teachers etc. are always learning, growing and progressing. bounce

Love, light & healing,
    Rose
    Flamel

Post by Flamel Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:36 am

Personally i teach reiky for free [i've started attuning some friends of mine saiyng me "it's too expensive (here some masters, fortunally not all, ask 300 euro for first, 650 for second and 3500 for third level part first) for us going to learning it to someone please attune us", then some friends of my friends comes to me, and going on]. If someone insist i ask for a charity fee for all he want. That's enought for me.
    But it doesn't mean i attune everyone everytime.
    For example i've attuned only one master until now, because i'm very very very very strict about this "is not question of time, it's question about you". I attune someone only when he say he's really really sure about what is doing. The same for passing from first to second. I can do this because i know people who comes to me, and because before passing from a level to another we have a little conversation about what's reiki for him, his spiritual path and similar "stuff" and i ask for the "why you are going on".
    I've had a case where a friend of mine, a my big friend, takes the 1 level, and the 2 level and she's a very good healer, very stronger, but she doesn't want to take mastery becasue she doesn't feel ready. I offered here a lot of time but she doesn't want it for now.
    Ending, for me is not about time, it's about he inner feeling of eachone.
    =)
    i hope to be clear in my 6 children age english and helpful!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:56 pm

Flamel wrote:Personally i teach reiky for free [i've started attuning some friends of mine saiyng me "it's too expensive (here some masters, fortunally not all, ask 300 euro for first, 650 for second and 3500 for third level part first) for us going to learning it to someone please attune us", then some friends of my friends comes to me, and going on]. If someone insist i ask for a charity fee for all he want. That's enought for me.
    But it doesn't mean i attune everyone everytime.
    For example i've attuned only one master until now, because i'm very very very very strict about this "is not question of time, it's question about you". I attune someone only when he say he's really really sure about what is doing. The same for passing from first to second. I can do this because i know people who comes to me, and because before passing from a level to another we have a little conversation about what's reiki for him, his spiritual path and similar "stuff" and i ask for the "why you are going on".
    I've had a case where a friend of mine, a my big friend, takes the 1 level, and the 2 level and she's a very good healer, very stronger, but she doesn't want to take mastery becasue she doesn't feel ready. I offered here a lot of time but she doesn't want it for now.
    Ending, for me is not about time, it's about he inner feeling of eachone.
    =)
    i hope to be clear in my 6 children age english and helpful!

I do a lot of volunteer Reiki.
    When it comes to teaching Reiki
    I never do it free. study
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:22 am

chi_solas wrote:
    I do a lot of volunteer Reiki.
    When it comes to teaching Reiki
    I never do it free. study

thats a good approach Bridget Smile

it works!!

Smile

Salman

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 pm