Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+5
chi_solas
Milarepa
Rlei_ki
Pandora
Reikijim
9 posters

Attunements for young people

Reikijim
    Reikijim

Attunements for young people Empty Attunements for young people

Post by Reikijim Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Hello Folks,

I recently met a Reiki Master who was conducting classes and attunements for little people between the ages of 9 and 13. It didn`t seem to make too much sense to me at the time.

I have met a few youngsters that have a particularly beautiful spirit and glow about them, yet for most of our young folks, I just can`t seem to understand the need.

I think what bothers me is the permanence of the initiation. I do not believe that this path of reiki to be for everyone, and should be entered into with some understanding of what one is deciding to undertake. Does a 9 year old have the ability to comprehend the aspects of this path?

I would like to hear the opinions/views from our members and staff regarding this sort of thing...Please enlighten me if i fail to see the benefit of such classes.

With much interest...

Smile RJ
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Attunements for young people Empty Re: Attunements for young people

Post by Pandora Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:46 pm

Well I don't see why they shouldn't be attuned, unless their parents don't want them to be. After all, if they don't use it they will lose it. Reiki can only do good.
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:54 pm

Pandora wrote:...After all, if they don't use it they will lose it.

some might disagree. Smile

The following is from John Harvey-Gray's newsletter, 'Hand To Hand', in which he presents extracts from a Q&A session with Takata-sensei:

Question: If for some reason one fails to do Reiki for a period of a month or so, does one lose the power?

Takata: That is a good question. No, once you have the “contact” through me [she was the only Master at that time], Reiki stays with you everlasting....
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:55 pm

Reikijim wrote:Hello Folks,

I recently met a Reiki Master who was conducting classes and attunements for little people between the ages of 9 and 13. It didn`t seem to make too much sense to me at the time.

I have met a few youngsters that have a particularly beautiful spirit and glow about them, yet for most of our young folks, I just can`t seem to understand the need.

I think what bothers me is the permanence of the initiation. I do not believe that this path of reiki to be for everyone, and should be entered into with some understanding of what one is deciding to undertake. Does a 9 year old have the ability to comprehend the aspects of this path?

I would like to hear the opinions/views from our members and staff regarding this sort of thing...Please enlighten me if i fail to see the benefit of such classes.

With much interest...

Interesting topic, Smile . I know someone whom attuned their 11 year old daughter. It was more out of a need for physical healing than anything else. The 11 year old is very mature, and quite spiritual anyhow. Whether a 9 year old is mature enough to understand, i guess that'll depend on what way the parent & Reiki teacher understand Reiki to be also, Smile.

I know my own two kids i have here, they're 6 & 7. They've wanted to be taught Reiki for near two years now. It's still far too young to me. I know some teachers whom teach special classes to kids from 5+.

Take care
    Wayne
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:03 am

Hi Pandora,

Pandora wrote: Reiki can only do good.

I think generally speaking, this is a true statement. Yet I`ve heard of a few cases where such was not the case.

We make many decisions for our children, and of course, gradually, over the years we expect them to take responsibility for themselves. If we are sensitive to who they are, our kids, as adults become happy in their own skin and can navigate in society in a productive, mostly joyous manner. Really though, I do not believe that everyone is destined to be spiritual, Honestly some of us are destined to drive bulldozers and drink a lot of beer....look around you. So...My point is....whats the point of predetermining/influencing a child in this manner, when quite possibly they need a little more time to grow and define themselves, in hopes that they expose their true nature.

Regardless, of this. thanks for your response!

Smile RJ
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:25 am

There are now Reiki books out for children
    my grandchildren are very much aware of
    Reiki since they were toddlers. One of my
    grandchildren when in Kindergarten would
    do Reiki on his class mates when they got
    injured. The only problem his mother had
    was that parents might be upset if a name
    like Reiki was used during this process.
    He is now in 4th grade I asked him a few
    weeks ago does he still do Reiki. He gave
    me his usual glowing smile and said no.
    His sister who is in the 6th grade and does
    horseback riding does use Reiki with her
    horses. Neither of them are attuned but they
    are both very much in-tune with their healing
    ability as is their younger brother. People
    who are not attuned to Reiki use Reiki every
    day. People who are attuned to Reiki are very
    much aware that Reiki is free, its our time
    and the tools we use to facilitate that's valuable.

children & animals are natural healers. Look at
    the smiles that animals & children bring to the
    forefront. Nursing homes always welcome animals
    & children they sure add another demension to a
    lonely environment. sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:52 am

chi_solas wrote: People
    day.

If this was the case, Usui sensei wouldn't have needed to have his expereince on Kurama Yama, Smile .

All healing isn't Reiki, as in interacting with our own divine spark, particularly in the way it does in Usui Reiki. Usually, it takes many, many years of diligent practice to be able to access our divine spark in such a way as in the Reiki expereince, without Reiki initiation.

As Usui sensei had a divine expereince, he was able to use his knowledge, and have the ability, to access and pass on this blessing. Without this, the experience would not be as comnmon as might be presumed, Smile . And was surely why he felt he needed to do this in the first instance.

take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:07 am

Reikijim wrote:Hi Pandora,

I think generally speaking, this is a true statement. Yet I`ve heard of a few cases where such was not the case.

We make many decisions for our children, and of course, gradually, over the years we expect them to take responsibility for themselves. If we are sensitive to who they are, our kids, as adults become happy in their own skin and can navigate in society in a productive, mostly joyous manner. Really though, I do not believe that everyone is destined to be spiritual, Honestly some of us are destined to drive bulldozers and drink a lot of beer....look around you. So...My point is....whats the point of predetermining/influencing a child in this manner, when quite possibly they need a little more time to grow and define themselves, in hopes that they expose their true nature.

Smile RJ

Well I'd love to know how Reiki has harmed people...

and I drink a lot of beer and build beer festivals...

I was a spiritual healer as a child. I used to lay my hands on my friends and they'd ask what I was sending them, and tell me that my hands were hot. I remember putting my hands on my mom's broken washing machine, which sprang into life!

I think if Reiki had been available to me when I was a child it may have helped me integrate this ability better. I found it very, very unsettling and confusing. My mom was suspicious (even if she was a devout Christian) and told me at one stage it was evil and I was not to use it. Luckily for me, I was going through my rebellious phase so I ignored her - at least until I witnessed a miracle happen in front of my eyes, and I was so blown away I ran from everything spiritual.

I think everyone is here to be spiritual. We are spiritual beings having a physical experience. If Reiki does anything, it unlocks the spirituality, which can only be a good thing.

To answer James's point about it always being there, I liken it to not using your left arm. It will gradually wither and become useless, but will still be there.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:14 am

Pandora wrote:

yes. but what we all want to know is..

do you also drive a bulldozer? lol!

P.S. how did you Reiki class go?
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:17 am

[quote="Milarepa"]
    chi_solas wrote: People
    day.

If this was the case, Usui sensei wouldn't have needed to have his expereince on Kurama Yama, Smile .

That's because we are mixing the Reiki system with ULFE
    My grandchildren were using ULFE not Reiki as in Usui Reiki
    I do not use spiritual/divine when using the Usui Reiki system.
    I was drawn to Reiki because it had no Religious/spiritual
    trappings. Divine spark is a new term to me. Since I became
    a RMT many people do consider it to be Religious/spiritual or
    divine. Our ability to tap into the same energy that Usui tapped
    into is always there. Innate /natural healing works even when we
    are unaware of it's dormancy. Usui Reiki assists us to go deeper
    into our most inner self. When we find our inner self that's when
    healing happens, often its refered to as a miracle.

If you think about your hands and their ability to help sooth a
    sick child,comfort a friend, and so on. People have been doing
    that since the beginning of time. Like Pandora said she was doing
    it since she was a child, like many others they did not have a
    name for this strange ability. Usui put a name to what we do and
    he developed a system for its use. Even today some will call Reiki
    snake oil healing. I like other Reiki practitioners know better we
    have experienced finding our inner self in different subtle ways
    that's what Usui Reiki is all about.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:14 am

Pandora wrote:

Well I'd love to know how Reiki has harmed people...

Well....as a representative of Reiki, and a claimed natural healer....I think quite possibly, you might want to do some research to find out.

I actively look for information that I may not agree with, as it enlightens me, and helps me to grow. Some cannot handle differing opinions with much tact or acceptance...it`s about personal attachment....this is part of my path in growing....

I`ve read all your posts, and from that, I believe that we will disagree on many things.

Let`s keep it friendly. Shall we?

Pandora wrote:

That`s great, and I bet it`s quite a bit of fun too...

I`ve worked in construction since I was 17.....met a considerable number of beer drinking, bulldozer drivers. Funny thing, they never impressed me as being that interested in spiritual enlightenment or Reiki for that matter,generally speaking, but yes there can be isolated exceptions.

My reference was an attempt at humor, nothing more. I hope I didn`t offend any beer drinking bulldozer operators.

Smile RJ

Last edited by Reikijim on Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:17 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : bad vbb code...and spelling)
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:15 am

Reikijim wrote:Hello Folks,

With much interest...

Smile RJ

I think you are dwelling too much on the term "permanence".

If a child's parents deem their child mature enough to handle Reiki, then I see no problem in initiating them to it if the child wants it.

Flu shots are also permanent. And yet parents subject their children to them all the time without the child's permission.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:16 am

Pandora wrote:Well I don't see why they shouldn't be attuned, unless their parents don't want them to be. After all, if they don't use it they will lose it. Reiki can only do good.

They won't lose it. It will just not grow if they do not use it.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:18 am

Reikijim wrote:Hi Pandora,

And I would argue it was not Reiki that caused the harm. No matter how the story is described.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:21 am

Reikijim wrote:

Smile RJ

Is it ok for a Parent to subject their child to a Religion? That seems to be a very common choice. And in some religions, if you find a significant other (and god forbid if it is a homosexual relationship) not of that faith, they frown at it and sometimes will excommunicate you.

Additionally, I've met many folks who have been attuned to Reiki who I wouldn't consider overly spiritual either.

All an attunement is is a seed. An initiation. It is up to each individual on whether they nurture that seed and allow it to grow.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:26 am

chi_solas wrote:
    I was drawn to Reiki because it had no Religious/spiritual
    trappings. Divine spark is a new term to me.

Are you saying that ULFE is not part of Divinity? ULFE essentially is that energy that is in everything, is part of everything, and is ultimately creation energy. If that isn't Divine, then I don't know what is.

The term divine doesn't have to mean Religious. And spiritual discussion doesn't have to be Religious either. Religion is man's creation of dogmatic practice to control the general masses in the name of spirituality. That isn't to say that going to church and being a "good Christian" isn't spiritual. It certainly can be. And for many, they get what they need from it.

But to lump the term divine into religion is a misrepresentation of the term divine.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:38 am

Thaak wrote:

Is it ok for a Parent to subject their child to a Religion? That seems to be a very common choice. And in some religions, if you find a significant other (and god forbid if it is a homosexual relationship) not of that faith, they frown at it and sometimes will excommunicate you.

Additionally, I've met many folks who have been attuned to Reiki who I wouldn't consider overly spiritual either.

All an attunement is is a seed. An initiation. It is up to each individual on whether they nurture that seed and allow it to grow.

I agree with everything you`ve said here Andy.

Yet....whats the point of attuneing someone if they do nothing with it?

The attunements I had, especially the initial ones, changed my way of thinking, therefore my life...For some, attunements have more impact than for others.I went through a period of about 6 months where I didn`t practice Reiki, but the changes in perception never left me. My hands and feet still tingled, I still felt the energetic signatures of everyone I came into contact with....For me it was okay....Would it be fair to conclude that result for everyone? Hence why i would be hesitant to attune some who`s still in an infant stage of defining who they are in this realm.

Smile RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 am

This is interesting the way the chat is developing. Andy is making a valid point, in that a flu jab is permanent, what about the MMR (measles, mumbs, ruebella) jab also. The comparison to a Reiki initiaiton can be seen.

I've a question for Reiki teachers though. It's one thing a parent deciding something permanent for a child, but (depending on the teachers own perception of Reiki), just cause a parent says their (in UK) 5+ child may be initiated, does that automatically mean we, as Reiki teachers should do that?

Course, this only applies in as far as the parents aren't Reiki themselves. If not, should the Reiki teacher not know better? There's only so much one can articulate to a non-initiated parent.

any thoughts?
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:38 am

Reikijim wrote:

Because you don't know they will do nothing with it at the time of the attunement?

I try not to approach my healing work with assumptions.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:41 am

Milarepa wrote:This is interesting the way the chat is developing. Andy is making a valid point, in that a flu jab is permanent, what about the MMR (measles, mumbs, ruebella) jab also. The comparison to a Reiki initiaiton can be seen.

I've a question for Reiki teachers though. It's one thing a parent deciding something permanent for a child, but (depending on the teachers own perception of Reiki), just cause a parent says their (in UK) 5+ child may be initiated, does that automatically mean we, as Reiki teachers should do that?

Course, this only applies in as far as the parents aren't Reiki themselves. If not, should the Reiki teacher not know better? There's only so much one can articulate to a non-initiated parent.

any thoughts?

As a teacher I'd want to have a frank conversation with the child first. Chances are, if a parent has not be initiated into Reiki, and they are approaching you about an attunement for their child who is younger than 10, they are extremely open minded about alternate spiritual practices and you can have an open and frank conversation with them. Otherwise, I doubt very highly that a non-initated parent would approach someone for their child.

If I felt intuitively that it was right for me to attune the child, and it was truly their choice, then I would do it.

If I felt at all, any hesitation, then I would not. That probably goes for adults too though.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:51 am

another interesting part is..

Some folks regard every act within Reiki as a spiritual act. The reasons are slim, where a person has a right to enter into a spiritual act with/for another, if they aren't fully aware of the responsibilites/ramifications.

At what point is a child able to fully make their own mind up, about what they should expereince spiritually? This has a bearing on how well a child can understand it properly.

An example of when a child can understand things.. It was, only about 15 years ago at the latest, under UK Law, a child under the age of 10, couldn't get convicted of a criminal offence. They were deemed to not have developed siffieciently, to be able to fully comprehend the law.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:03 am

Thaak wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:

Because you don't know they will do nothing with it at the time of the attunement?

I try not to approach my healing work with assumptions.

Then you won't include attunements as 'my healing work'. since one can't assume what the student will or won't do with Reiki, so providing an attunement isn't neccessarily healing anyone.

Unless of course, it's Willie Rand's 'healing attunement', hehe.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:20 am

Milarepa wrote:This is interesting the way the chat is developing. Andy is making a valid point, in that a flu jab is permanent, what about the MMR (measles, mumbs, ruebella) jab also. The comparison to a Reiki initiaiton can be seen.

any thoughts?

I can understand how those who have parents initiated into reiki may do better than kids with parents who know nothing...

One of the last people I talked with at Remy`s site was a young lady of 17 who was having considerable trouble after experiencing a Kundalini Reiki attunement. Her parents branded her schizophrenic. Their solution was psychotherapy and drugs...She quit communicating....I never heard from her again...and I felt very bad for her.
    Possibly this young lady had issues to begin with, but I do not know.
    Or, the attunement she experienced may have dialed things up a notch or two regarding her pre-existing challenges...

So one could look at this two ways...a Reiki attunement caused harm....Or Reiki brought to the fore front a problem that she needed to address.

Really, from my point of view. If this young lady had pre-existing issues, the Reiki master failed in any kind of screening process to address the possibility of complications for her. Therefore, it was the Reiki master that caused harm. Some may not believe this, as some are firmly rooted in the belief that Reiki harms no one....But it happened, and I`m relaying the events exactly as they presented themselves.

I`m very thankful I found this wonderful path....But be "mindful" a term I associate with Usui-sensi

There are few safe generalizations in the world of Reiki...It most assuredly becomes an individualistic experience.

Neutral RJ
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:21 am

Milarepa wrote:

Then you won't include attunements as 'my healing work'. since one can't assume what the student will or won't do with Reiki, so providing an attunement isn't neccessarily healing anyone.

Unless of course, it's Willie Rand's 'healing attunement', hehe.

come on now... chuckle...

I feel that any attunement is its own healing blessing regardless of whether the seed is allowed to grow or not.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:29 am

Reikijim wrote:
    I can understand how those who have parents initiated into reiki may do better than kids with parents who know nothing...

One of the last people I talked with at Remy`s site was a young lady of 17 who was having considerable trouble after experiencing a Kundalini Reiki attunement. Her parents branded her schizophrenic. Their solution was psychotherapy and drugs...She quit communicating....I never heard from her again...and I felt very bad for her.
    Possibly this young lady had issues to begin with, but I do not know.
    Or, the attunement she experienced may have dialed things up a notch or two regarding her pre-existing challenges...

So one could look at this two ways...a Reiki attunement caused harm....Or Reiki brought to the fore front a problem that she needed to address.

Really, from my point of view. If this young lady had pre-existing issues, the Reiki master failed in any kind of screening process to address the possibility of complications for her. Therefore, it was the Reiki master that caused harm. Some may not believe this, as some are firmly rooted in the belief that Reiki harms no one....But it happened, and I`m relaying the events exactly as they presented themselves.

I`m very thankful I found this wonderful path....But be "mindful" a term I associate with Usui-sensi

There are few safe generalizations in the world of Reiki...It most assuredly becomes an individualistic experience.

Neutral RJ

There is a thing called a "healing crisis" which is what you may be describing here. A situation where an existing condition worsens before it gets better.

Additionally, many psychotic type disorders can be attributed to a person having an awareness or sensitivity that they are unable to deal with. With Reiki having the potential to open ones sensitivities further, sometimes to extremes, this person, who may already not have been able to deal with their sensitivities, may have had a psychotic crisis over this.

Although you did mention kundalini Reiki, which really isn't using energy the same way Reiki does. Or at least the attunements don't just plant a seed for growth. Rather there is such a thing as a Kundalini Crisis, in which a person has what appears to be psychotic breaks because of a Kundalini awakening they were not ready for. I don't know exactly what this entails, as I've been attuned to Kundalini Reiki, but I did not experience any breaks.

Either way, there can be physical and mental health issues around receiving Reiki healings and attunements. But I would say they are not Reiki itself causing harm, but rather the individual's response or resistance to the healing or increased sensitivities. Subtle maybe.

But still an important difference.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:45 pm