Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+4
Thaak
Reikijim
Shakti ~ Rising
chi_solas
8 posters

Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any Empty Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any

Post by chi_solas Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:12 am

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:I'm not suggesting that you did, merely commenting on my lack of reverence for the bible and christianity....seeing how you mentioned the biblical quotes putting you off..... Very Happy

I got involved in Reiki cause it was non-religious
    My Reiki Master Teacher who is a very devoted
    christian, was very clear that Reiki was not Laying
    on of hands or christian. It's my understanding that
    Takata was the person who implement the christianity
    theme into Reiki.

Last edited by chi_solas on Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:01 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Moved from another thread to start a history research topic)
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any Empty Re: Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:47 pm

chi_solas wrote:'Takata ws the person who implemented a christianity theme into Reiki'

....I wasn't aware that a christianity theme had been implemented.. Question
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any Empty Re: Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any

Post by chi_solas Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:02 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:'Takata ws the person who implemented a christianity theme into Reiki'....I wasn't aware that a christianity theme had been implemented.. Question

I had read about Takata’s teachings in America during the Pacific war between Japan & America. Being Christian was more popular than being Buddhist and that Christianity was worked into Usui's Reiki to make it more acceptable. scratch

I’m sure there are many Reiki stories out there that are in question. Some folks say Usui came to the US others say that's not true. The history of Reiki does get cloudy.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:31 pm

chi_solas wrote:
    Shakti ~ Rising wrote:'Takata ws the person who implemented a christianity theme into Reiki'....I wasn't aware that a christianity theme had been implemented.. Question

I had read about Takata’s teachings in America during the Pacific war between Japan & America. Being Christian was more popular than being Buddhist and that Christianity was worked into Usui's Reiki to make it more acceptable. scratch

I’m sure there are many Reiki stories out there that are in question. Some folks say Usui came to the US others say that's not true. The history of Reiki does get cloudy.

Hi Bridget,

Sometimes, I get the feeling that people want to down play the Buddhist influences in Reiki just to separate it from any religion, for whatever reason...Possibly, to try and prevent another religion from attacking it... Let me see, mostly accepted that Mikao Usui practiced Buddhism, although which sect he belonged to, and when, is debatable....There`s the distinct possibility that he may have been involved in a Buddhist meditation practice when he first felt Reiki...but this would no doubt be debated by those who claim to know....Then there`s that little mental/emotional symbol that bares a striking likeness to...Kiriku/Hrih....Hmmm

Frankly i do not care at this point, who says what about Reiki and any religious connection it may have through it`s founder. If some Christians need to attack it, or make it their own, great, they can have fun with that...I will still practice, regardless. Reiki is not a business for me, at this point in time. So...the masses will see the benefit of Reiki at one time or another, they will accept it`s benefits on an individual basis, when their time comes, if ever.

Really, considering that "religion" is man`s creation, and the experiences we realize through Reiki are not....What does it matter? Usui, I believe was a Buddhist, and may have realized Reiki through Buddhist practices...interpreted Reiki as a Buddhist mind would...But that does not mean that Reiki is Buddhist....That`s like saying "God is Catholic"...and that`s just WAY TO HILARIOUS to even consider...

Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any 564490

Smile RJ
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Reikijim wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

Hi Bridget,

Sometimes, I get the feeling that people want to down play the Buddhist influences in Reiki just to separate it from any religion, for whatever reason...Possibly, to try and prevent another religion from attacking it... Let me see, mostly accepted that Mikao Usui practiced Buddhism, although which sect he belonged to, and when, is debatable....There`s the distinct possibility that he may have been involved in a Buddhist meditation practice when he first felt Reiki...but this would no doubt be debated by those who claim to know....Then there`s that little mental/emotional symbol that bares a striking likeness to...Kiriku/Hrih....Hmmm

Frankly i do not care at this point, who says what about Reiki and any religious connection it may have through it`s founder. If some Christians need to attack it, or make it their own, great, they can have fun with that...I will still practice, regardless. Reiki is not a business for me, at this point in time. So...the masses will see the benefit of Reiki at one time or another, they will accept it`s benefits on an individual basis, when their time comes, if ever.

Really, considering that "religion" is man`s creation, and the experiences we realize through Reiki are not....What does it matter? Usui, I believe was a Buddhist, and may have realized Reiki through Buddhist practices...interpreted Reiki as a Buddhist mind would...But that does not mean that Reiki is Buddhist....That`s like saying "God is Catholic"...and that`s just WAY TO HILARIOUS to even consider...

Smile RJ

God is NOT Catholic I got to check that out study
    OK Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any 850837 I am Peter and upon this rock I shall
    build my church. So it's Peter who's Catholic scratch
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:43 pm

chi_solas wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:That`s like saying "God is Catholic"...and that`s just WAY TO HILARIOUS to even consider...

Smile RJ

OK Reiki System..Christian/ Buddhist..Takata's role if any 850837 I am Peter and upon this rock I shall

What's interesting, is the Christian God was defined by Jesus, who was a Jewish Rabi.
    Bruce

Post by Bruce Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:53 am

Reikijim wrote:Really, considering that "religion" is man`s creation, and the experiences we realize through Reiki are not....What does it matter? Usui, I believe was a Buddhist, and may have realized Reiki through Buddhist practices...interpreted Reiki as a Buddhist mind would...But that does not mean that Reiki is Buddhist....That`s like saying "God is Catholic"...and that`s just WAY TO HILARIOUS to even consider...

Smile RJ

I think it's more like saying "Gravity is Christian." (Isaac Newton was a Christian, and therefore . . . .)

Bruce
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:33 am

Thaak wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    Reikijim wrote:That`s like saying "God is Catholic"...and that`s just WAY TO HILARIOUS to even consider...

Smile RJ

What's interesting, is the Christian God was defined by Jesus, who was a Jewish Rabi.

I remember. INRI Jesus of Nazareth King of the Jews.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:48 am

Thaak wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:

Smile RJ

Although the Bible does say he was a jewish rabbi, The God that jesus defined was different from the Jewish one. This is quite clear in the difference between God in the first few books of the old testament, the Jewsih Torah, and, the new testament.

In fact, Gnostic teachings suggest that the God commonly referred to as the creator, is in fact only the creator of this existence. That there is in fact, a true over-all creator God. And, Jesus' message was the let humanity know. Hence the major differences in a vengeful, jealous God, and a God lf love.

Scolhars have linked Jesus to the essences, and they're linked to gnosticism.
    Reikijim
    Reikijim

Post by Reikijim Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:58 am

Milarepa wrote:

Scolhars have linked Jesus to the essences, and they're linked to gnosticism.

Hi Wayne,

Could you suggest something I could read in regard to the above quote?

thanks Smile RJ
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:02 am

Goggle 'jesus essene' bro. There's much there, Smile .
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:29 am

Jim, there's a really good Gnostic website - www.gnosis.org
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:45 am

i was just about to correct wayne and say its not essences, but theres an ironic pun in there somewhere....hehe

I read a beautiful book years ago about Jesus and the Essenes... so much of the content made sense to me....

and just to address some of the above posts...'God' ( apply appropriate personal term) has no religion....

and to get back to the initial theme of this topic, if Takata DID implement some christian elements, what were they and when did they become removed.....??
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:i was just about to correct wayne and say its not essences, but theres an ironic pun in there somewhere....hehe

I read a beautiful book years ago about Jesus and the Essenes... so much of the content made sense to me....

and just to address some of the above posts...'God' ( apply appropriate personal term) has no religion....

and to get back to the initial theme of this topic, if Takata DID implement some christian elements, what were they and when did they become removed.....??

There is so much out there that contradicts Usui's Reiki being Buddhism/Christian.

VirginiaBeachReiki.com.

Mrs. Takata stayed and worked in Dr. Hayashi’s clinic for a time gathering valuable experience before returning to her home in Hawaii in 1937. Upon her return to Hawaii Mrs. Takata set about spreading Reiki to her fellow Hawaiians by opening a clinic and giving Reiki treatments to clients. In order to have Reiki be accepted by Christian Hawaiians, Mrs. Takata embellished Reiki’s history with a story that Dr. Usui was a Christian school teacher trained in an American university which we now know was not the truth. In recent years Frank Arjava Petter, a German Reiki Master, living and teaching Reiki in Japan discovered the true history of Reiki. However in Mrs. Takata’s time her story was accepted as the true history of Reiki rendering Reiki non-threatening to American Christians.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

For sure, it's widespread apparent 'mistakes' & errors' in what Takata sensei said.

In 1972 the Christian population of Hawaii was 44.1%. 15.4% were buddhist, and 5.5% were Shinto. 31.3% were of no religion. Source: http://evols.library.manoa.hawaii.edu/bitstream/10524/240/1/JL07047.pdf

To tell lies about Usui sensei, to possibly appease less than half of the population, i dunno bout that.

I mean, you're a good person Bridget, We both expereince Reiki, as Takata sensei did, would we not speak the truth bout our teachers teachers. I know we would. Perhaps Takata sensei did say this, i can't say she didn't. Perhaps though, she was repeating what Hayashi sensei told her?

Edit: Actually scratch that, i know for a fact folks do lie within Reiki, hehe. My mistake! I'm not suggesting Takata sensei did this though!

We know it hasn't been easy to trace Usui sensei in the university, etc.

i'm getting off-topic here, apologies, Smile . For sure, Usui sensei's Reiki may not have been Buddhist or Christian. There's definitely elements of Buddhism in it though. One symbol prob is buddhist in nature. Interestingly, possibly, is an art in Japan, a part of esoteric buddhism called Kuji-Kiri. to explain it very crudely, it's the drawing in the air in a particular way, to bring about, well anything really. some might call it magic. It initially sounds so like drawing Reiki symbols doesn't it? I'm not suggesting it's the same (for any researcher reading).

I personally believe Usui sensei incorporated many religions in his life, and saw the universality in all. And took aspects from some for certain things.

I definitely think Reiki is non-religious, and should stay that way. In this way, it remains universally acceptable for everyone. I know, being a muslim myself (not a practicing one anymore), that doing anything from another religion is not permitted, for example. So, to align reiki with any one religion, would potentially exclude 1/5 of the world. and i did mention this in semi-public to a well known teacher myself.

I genuinely applaud your reasoning in your post Bridget, and think it's an important topic brainstorm over, Smile .

Take care
    wayne

Last edited by Milarepa on Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:12 pm

Shakti ~ Rising wrote:i was just about to correct wayne and say its not essences, but theres an ironic pun in there somewhere....hehe

hehe, i'm only getting that now you know! I think i'll have a sniff of God juice please... Suspect
    kiki da bei
    kiki da bei
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by kiki da bei Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 am

I am old enough to remember the movie "Oh God" with John Denver and George Burns. Denver plays a produce manager at a local supermarket and God seems to have selected him to be his spokesman. Denver finally meets God face to face on the 13 floor of a high rise building. Denver says to God:

"Why did you pick me? I don't even belong to the church."

God responds:

"Neither do I."
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 am

Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 6:58 am