Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+2
Shakti ~ Rising
Dragonfly
6 posters

My healing story

Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

My healing story Empty My healing story

Post by Dragonfly Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:20 am

Here's how I ended up finding Reiki.

I went to India on business with my husband in Jan/Feb of 2006. At the hotel where I was staying, there was a Pranic Healing conference. I had heard of energy healing before but had never actually met anyone who did energy work. One morning, after breakfast, my husband and I were walking around the hotel and saw that the Pranic Healers had tables set up where they had books, CDs etc for sale. So we walked over and started talking to them. I spoke with a lovely Indian woman who is one of their master healers. At some point, she looked at me and said, "Is there any part of your body that is causing you pain right now?" My neck and shoulder was killing me from the long flight and hauling luggage, so I indicated where. She stood maybe several feet away and kept on talking as she began moving her hand to channel energy to me. I didn't really know what to think about it, although I did notice a tingling sensation running from my elbow up to my shoulder, kind of like when you hit your "funny bone." We talked for a few more minutes, I bought their manual out of curiosity and went on to work.

It wasn't until I was sitting at my laptop in the office that I realized my neck and shoulder no longer hurt at all. Now, I have had neck and back pain on and off for years. And never does it just resolve like that. I was very impressed. But I didn't have the mind-blowing "catalyst" moment until I had gotten back to the hotel from the office. For a couple of months, my mid-back would get really stiff and uncomfortable to the point where I would have to take a shower each night and stretch in order to get some relief. So, I was back at the hotel and told my husband I was going to take a shower. I got into the shower, started stretching...and realized I had NO pain, no stiffness and my back was completely loose and supple. How I had not noticed that earlier is beyond me. I stood there in the shower saying, "I MUST learn how to do that!!"

I got back to the U.S. and was searching for Pranic Healers, but there were none in my state. Eventually I located one in Chicago and since I did travel on business there, I planned to attend training several months later. In the meantime, I kept searching because I wanted to learn energy work very badly at this point. I found my teacher's Reiki site and it immediately appealed to me. I had practiced zazen for years at a local zendo, and was familiar with some of the concepts. And I liked that my teacher seemed very grounded and willing to share information. So, I went to him for a Reiki session and it was amazing. I just felt so different, so calm and peaceful afterwards. It was something I needed even more than relief from physical pain.

So, I took my Reiki training from my teacher and fairly soon, I noticed something interesting. For the past 6 years I had suffered from Interstitial Cystitis, which is a very painful inflammation of the bladder wall lining. I was taking 4-5 different medications each day to manage the symptoms. Over time I had experienced some improvement, so I was able to reduce some of the dosages I was taking, but was still on these medications. These medications were expensive, fairly toxic to the liver and had a number of unpleasant side effects. I have holes in my memory from the first year or so of taking the meds. I also had a situation where the meds one doctor prescribed interacted with ones I was taking for someone else and I was barely able to function.

After practicing Reiki for a month or so, I realized that I was no longer having the symptoms at all that I had been experiencing. I decided to wean myself off the medications completely to see what would happen. I was fine. I haven't taken any medications for my bladder since the mid-part of 2006 and I consider myself to be healed. This is amazing, since very few people with IC or pelvic pain syndrome ever experience that degree of improvement. That summer, I became pregnant with my daughter and experienced none of the discomfort I expected with my bladder during or after my pregnancy. I even had an indwelling catheter for about 5 days after my daughter was born because of post-partum complications (if only I'd had someone in the hospital then who could have done Reiki!) and didn't have any issues with it later, which is often a problem for anyone with bladder issues.
    Shakti ~ Rising
    Shakti ~ Rising

My healing story Empty Re: My healing story

Post by Shakti ~ Rising Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:30 am

what a lovely story, thanks for sharing..... flower
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:24 am

Dragonfly wrote:Here's how I ended up finding Reiki.

I went to India on business with my husband in Jan/Feb of 2006. At the hotel where I was staying, there was a Pranic Healing conference. I had heard of energy healing before but had never actually met anyone who did energy work. One morning, after breakfast, my husband and I were walking around the hotel and saw that the Pranic Healers had tables set up where they had books, CDs etc for sale. So we walked over and started talking to them. I spoke with a lovely Indian woman who is one of their master healers. At some point, she looked at me and said, "Is there any part of your body that is causing you pain right now?" My neck and shoulder was killing me from the long flight and hauling luggage, so I indicated where. She stood maybe several feet away and kept on talking as she began moving her hand to channel energy to me. I didn't really know what to think about it, although I did notice a tingling sensation running from my elbow up to my shoulder, kind of like when you hit your "funny bone." We talked for a few more minutes, I bought their manual out of curiosity and went on to work.

It wasn't until I was sitting at my laptop in the office that I realized my neck and shoulder no longer hurt at all. Now, I have had neck and back pain on and off for years. And never does it just resolve like that. I was very impressed. But I didn't have the mind-blowing "catalyst" moment until I had gotten back to the hotel from the office. For a couple of months, my mid-back would get really stiff and uncomfortable to the point where I would have to take a shower each night and stretch in order to get some relief. So, I was back at the hotel and told my husband I was going to take a shower. I got into the shower, started stretching...and realized I had NO pain, no stiffness and my back was completely loose and supple. How I had not noticed that earlier is beyond me. I stood there in the shower saying, "I MUST learn how to do that!!"

I got back to the U.S. and was searching for Pranic Healers, but there were none in my state. Eventually I located one in Chicago and since I did travel on business there, I planned to attend training several months later. In the meantime, I kept searching because I wanted to learn energy work very badly at this point. I found my teacher's Reiki site and it immediately appealed to me. I had practiced zazen for years at a local zendo, and was familiar with some of the concepts. And I liked that my teacher seemed very grounded and willing to share information. So, I went to him for a Reiki session and it was amazing. I just felt so different, so calm and peaceful afterwards. It was something I needed even more than relief from physical pain.

So, I took my Reiki training from my teacher and fairly soon, I noticed something interesting. For the past 6 years I had suffered from Interstitial Cystitis, which is a very painful inflammation of the bladder wall lining. I was taking 4-5 different medications each day to manage the symptoms. Over time I had experienced some improvement, so I was able to reduce some of the dosages I was taking, but was still on these medications. These medications were expensive, fairly toxic to the liver and had a number of unpleasant side effects. I have holes in my memory from the first year or so of taking the meds. I also had a situation where the meds one doctor prescribed interacted with ones I was taking for someone else and I was barely able to function.

After practicing Reiki for a month or so, I realized that I was no longer having the symptoms at all that I had been experiencing. I decided to wean myself off the medications completely to see what would happen. I was fine. I haven't taken any medications for my bladder since the mid-part of 2006 and I consider myself to be healed. This is amazing, since very few people with IC or pelvic pain syndrome ever experience that degree of improvement. That summer, I became pregnant with my daughter and experienced none of the discomfort I expected with my bladder during or after my pregnancy. I even had an indwelling catheter for about 5 days after my daughter was born because of post-partum complications (if only I'd had someone in the hospital then who could have done Reiki!) and didn't have any issues with it later, which is often a problem for anyone with bladder issues.

Dana, sharing your experience is very insighful
    and a reminder that we should research medications
    before we take them. There is consumer reports on
    items that we buy such as cars,homes,furniture etc;
    We want to know that our money is not being spent on
    duds. Who wants to take medications that would heal
    one part of the body and do damage to another part in
    the process.

I appreciate your detailed medical procedure to help us
    understand the depth of your health problem. It is not
    always easy to put out your most personal medical
    ordeals in public.

The use of Reiki's ULE every day does help
    to keep us Balanced & harmonized sunny
    vijaybali
    vijaybali

My healing story Empty healing

Post by vijaybali Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:26 am

hai,

great, tx for sharing,

vj
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:46 am

chi_solas wrote:
    the process.

ordeals in public.

Until I went through the 6 years of agony trying to heal my bladder, I had complete faith in Western medicine. I come from a family where a number of people have chronic medical issues, and this approach of taking medications seemed normal. But after having surgery on my bladder, and going through the interactions with the medications I was taking, I finally realized there has to be more to healing than what I was getting from the medical establishment. Medication has its place and I would not discourage someone from seeking medical attention, but I am definitely proof that the body can heal itself in time.

I have learned to be more comfortable talking about my medical history because I know there are people suffering out there with similar issues, and if I can help spare at least one person some of what I went through, all the better. I have a family member now going through something like what I did, and I've been able to help guide her through the medical establishment process to make sure she is getting the requisite medical attention. (Still working on the Reiki part, though. All good things in time.)
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:57 am

Dragonfly wrote:
    chi_solas wrote:
    the process.

ordeals in public.

Until I went through the 6 years of agony trying to heal my bladder, I had complete faith in Western medicine. I come from a family where a number of people have chronic medical issues, and this approach of taking medications seemed normal. But after having surgery on my bladder, and going through the interactions with the medications I was taking, I finally realized there has to be more to healing than what I was getting from the medical establishment. Medication has its place and I would not discourage someone from seeking medical attention, but I am definitely proof that the body can heal itself in time.

I have learned to be more comfortable talking about my medical history because I know there are people suffering out there with similar issues, and if I can help spare at least one person some of what I went through, all the better. I have a family member now going through something like what I did, and I've been able to help guide her through the medical establishment process to make sure she is getting the requisite medical attention. (Still working on the Reiki part, though. All good things in time.)

I'm with you on assisting others through relating my
    own medical experiences so they can prevent the same
    happening to them. Some folks tell me it's my responsibility
    to get my healing story out there. I do understand that
    not everyone is ready to share their personal medical
    experiences. I'm sure they have good reasons. In today's
    world of keeping a job or getting medical insurance plays
    a big part on what personal information your willing to share
    with others. Once your in the medical records you are already
    labeled. I don't like being labeled. Arrow
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:35 am

I hope that coming forth with personal stories that involve healing will begin to become more popular in the Reiki communities. Reiki, after all, is a journey of healing.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:32 pm

Buck wrote:I hope that coming forth with personal stories that involve healing will begin to become more popular in the Reiki communities. Reiki, after all, is a journey of healing.

Absolutely, Buck. And I think that people will put more trust in you as a facilitator if they understand the healing journey you experienced. For me, having come from a situation where I was in chronic, sometimes agonizing pain (I remember so many nights curled up in a ball, crying) to being symptom-free is nothing short of miraculous. The emotional changes I experienced as a result of Reiki, of feeling like I could love more fully with less fear, was also life-changing. When people hear our experiences, they feel encouraged to pursue their own path to healing too.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:32 pm

Fantastic for sharing that Dana. First time i'd sat down to really digest that. did you evewr go ahead and learn Pranic healing anyhow? Kinda weird though, perhaps it could be suggested in a roundabout way, God was utilizing the existence of a modality (Pranic healing), certianly not synonymous with Christianity, to lead you into discovery of Reiki.

Which, i know we both know, really accentuates our relationship with God!

BTW, yeah, agree with you & Buck, more folks should come forward here, and share some stories.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:55 am