Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+7
Lambs-Wool
Dragonfly
Violet Rose Reiki
Thaak
chi_solas
Milarepa
Colin
11 posters

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

JohnC
    JohnC

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

Post by JohnC Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:54 am

Violet Rose Reiki wrote:Exactly my point, reiki is non-religious, so why the denouncement?

Reiki may be considered non-religious, but that's irrelevant to whether it's a threat to the church. Many of the issues may relate to new age add ons, but just take a look at the discussions in this group and tell me that these are not firmly entrenched in the Reiki community.

Christian dogma states that the human soul is unique and personal - this does not allow for the concept of Universal Life Force Energy.

Christians don't invoke "God Consciousness" (Panentheism) rather they believe in the Holy Trinity.

In Christian circles, the invocation of spirit guides or calling upon spirits is considered very dangerous.

Channeling and other associated psychic practices are considered very dangerous by Christians - where did your Reiki system originate. Mine is Tera Mai...

Check this out if you want to read a less considered view...
    http://www.christianreiki.eu/Page1_eng.htm

Regards,

JohnC
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy - Page 2 Empty Re: Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:24 am

JohnC wrote:
    Violet Rose Reiki wrote:Exactly my point, reiki is non-religious, so why the denouncement?

Reiki may be considered non-religious, but that's irrelevant to whether it's a threat to the church. Many of the issues may relate to new age add ons, but just take a look at the discussions in this group and tell me that these are not firmly entrenched in the Reiki community.

Christian dogma states that the human soul is unique and personal - this does not allow for the concept of Universal Life Force Energy.

Christians don't invoke "God Consciousness" (Panentheism) rather they believe in the Holy Trinity.

In Christian circles, the invocation of spirit guides or calling upon spirits is considered very dangerous.

Channeling and other associated psychic practices are considered very dangerous by Christians - where did your Reiki system originate. Mine is Tera Mai...

Check this out if you want to read a less considered view...
    http://www.christianreiki.eu/Page1_eng.htm

Regards,

JohnC

John is absolutely correct here in what mainline Christians have been taught to believe. And if Christians are practicing Reiki and doing these practices that are not supported by the dogma of the church, then they are not following what they have been taught to follow. It's a conflict of religious belief and practice. I think the reason this came to a head was because some Catholic health care institutions were allowing Reiki to be done in their hospitals and it came under scrutiny. So the Church had to make a decision about what was appropriate for their care providers to allow in their institutions, based on their beliefs. I don't think the Church is saying Reiki should be banned everywhere. It's just saying it's not appropriate for their church and its followers.

Now, whether or not we Christians should just follow everything our churches tell us to is another issue altogether and it's a very personal one. Obviously, I'm not following it. No human being has the right to tell me what path God has intended for me to take.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:29 am

Oh, and John, that is a very disturbing website! I have yet to meet anyone who does Reiki that became possessed by devils. Interesting, though, because the Pentacostals generally believe they can be overcome by the Holy Spirit and do things like speak in tongues, handle snakes and other spiritual phenomena...
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:07 am

[quote="Dragonfly"]
    JohnC wrote:Check this out if you want to read a less considered view...http://www.christianreiki.eu/Page1_eng.htm

Ah, the Fear Factor again, but by another group. This can spin on forever.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:31 am

My daughter wanted to sing a spiritual at
    her grandmothers funeral mass. The choir
    master told her she could not sing it,
    because it did not have the word God in it.
    A grieving granddaughter was denied taking
    part in the funeral Mass. I no longer do
    Reiki in a Catholic hospital. The list goes
    on.It is sad that they continue to ostracize

sunny
    Violet Rose Reiki
    Violet Rose Reiki

Post by Violet Rose Reiki Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:44 am

Yes, and one of these days they will ostracize themselves out of followers.
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:47 am

In the interests of balance, I bring you these links to show that not all Christians disapprove of Reiki:
    http://www.katherineepperly.com/reiki/
    http://www.lancasterseminary.edu/153410127201459383/site/default.asp
    Rlei_ki
    Rlei_ki
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by Rlei_ki Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:52 am

[Just noticed Pandora's post as I was about to hit the 'send' button]

so, here are some more links...

Christianity and Reiki - some positive approachs:

http://areikihealer.tripod.com/christianreiki.html

http://www.christianreiki.org/

http://catholicreiki.com/index.html

Cool
    JohnC
    JohnC

Post by JohnC Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:19 am

And respecting the origins of this thread, I'd like to add further balance to the debate with an opinion from a scientist...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/04/the_irony_is_so_bad_im_having.php

On a personal note, I consider myself a Christian, and like the vast majority of the Ireland I make my own pragmatic decisions rather than blindly taking the advice of the clergy. It's difficult to respect the opinions of an organisation with such a chequered history...

JohnC
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:02 am

Many churches are facing decreased membership and commitment (financial or otherwise) from worshippers. This is one of the reasons why you have seen a shift towards "contemporary" worship services and in the Christian community, there has been a grassroots movement called "Emergent" that is trying to find different ways to worship outside of the usual confines of church. So, while you are seeing some backlash against "New Age" practices and beliefs from some segments of the religious community, that doesn't mean that all of them are going to follow suit.

Where there is a group of people anywhere, there will always be the need for power and control that is fear-based. It has even infiltrated the Reiki community in its history. Obviously, some of us have been very wounded by negative experiences in our religious communities of origin. One year for Halloween, I dressed up as a nun (my husband at the time was a monk.) Everyone thought he looked just so cool while everyone came up to me, pouring out stories of the trauma that was inflicted upon them by some evil, habit-clad nun. And while it is true that the pain people have experienced is real, we need to remember that some of the people responsible for causing this pain are not necessarily any more enlightened or closer to God just because their job is to work on His behalf. My husband and I were actually not treated very well by the people in the Session at the church where he was a member, and we no longer go there. It happens because people are insecure, uninformed and make emotional decisions that really has nothing to do with God.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:11 am

Pandora wrote:In the interests of balance, I bring you these links to show that not all Christians disapprove of Reiki:
    http://www.katherineepperly.com/reiki/
    http://www.lancasterseminary.edu/153410127201459383/site/default.asp

Ah, thanks for these! I noticed that Dr. Epperly says in her site that she "teach[es] Reiki as a form of intercessory Christian prayer in which one holds an intention for healing for another while praying for oneself to be opened as a channel for God’s healing Spirit." She is framing Reiki in a way that is more compatible with Christian dogma on the charism of healing.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:13 am

Dragonfly wrote:....(my husband at the time was a monk.)

He was a monk for halloween, or one in real life?

Hehe, sorry, couldn't resist, Smile .

take care
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:17 am

JohnC wrote:And respecting the origins of this thread, I'd like to add further balance to the debate with an opinion from a scientist...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2009/04/the_irony_is_so_bad_im_having.php

JohnC

The comments were even more entertaining than the original blog post!
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:19 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Dragonfly wrote:....(my husband at the time was a monk.)

He was a monk for halloween, or one in real life?

There are prohibitions against that sort of thing, you know. tongue That gave me a good laugh!!
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue May 19, 2009 8:30 am

A Response to the Bishops’ Statement on Reiki

Recently a committee of Catholic bishops wrote a statement saying that Reiki is based on superstition and Catholic’s shouldn’t use it. More specifically, they said it shouldn’t be used in Catholic hospitals, health care centers or by Catholic chaplains. The statement was based on misinformation.

Read my response to this statement
    http://www.reiki.org/reikinews/ResponseBishopsStatement.html

William Lee Rand
    The International Center for Reiki Training

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Tue May 19, 2009 8:53 am

Thanks for posting that Bridget. At the risk of going severely off-topic in this thread, i'm prob gonna make a new topic about a contrary view i have to aspects of 'facts' he's alluding to. Smile.
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:56 pm

Wasn't sure if this fits this thread or not, feel free to move to another location.
    I received this email today and thought it worth sharing as I'm sure
    many folks who do volunteer Reiki in certain hospitals,assisted living,
    nursing homes will be affected by statements made. scratch

sunny

Dear Bridget,

Bishops Syndrome is sweeping the Reiki community. Perhaps you or someone you know has been infected by it.

This unfortunate malaise is marked by the following symptoms, each of which develops quickly into the next:

incomplete information
    inadequate investigation
    illogical conclusions
    finger-pointing
    arbitrary lines drawn in sand.

All the above symptoms were first evidenced by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB), whose Committee on Doctrine issued a statement last month with this conclusion:

"Since Reiki therapy is not compatible with either Christian teaching or scientific evidence, it would be inappropriate for Catholic institutions, such as Catholic health care facilities and retreat centers, or persons representing the Church, such as Catholic chaplains, to promote or to provide support for Reiki therapy."

WHAT'S A REIKI PRACTITIONER TO DO?

I propose seeing this apparent obstacle as a call to arms--or hands--and creating a Bishops Relief Effort--a community-based effort to relieve the suffering related to Bishops Syndrome.

A comment in the bishops' statement speaks to all of us:

"While sometimes people fall into superstition through ignorance, it is the responsibility of all who teach in the name of the Church to eliminate such ignorance as much as possible."

Those of us who teach in the name of anything--church or Reiki--have the responsibility to eliminate our own ignorance before we set out to eliminate that of others. The bishops failed to do this, therefore their statement is misguided. If Reiki practitioners can avoid making the same mistake, we can capitalize on the bishops' error.

What if each of us who practice Reiki committed ourselves to eliminating ignorance about our practice? We could start by examining the accuracy of the "facts" we share about Reiki, and evaluating the skill and clarity with which we represent our practice to the public.

THEY USED OUR OWN WORDS AGAINST REIKI

The bishops' statement was built from information that has been circulated about Reiki by the Reiki community itself. Many of the rebuttals to the bishops' statement repeat the inaccuracies seen in the Catholic document. This doesn't make for an effective counter-campaign, does it?

Rather than waste time in outrage, we can accept that it was just a matter of time before something like this happened. In fact, this is evidence of the rapidly growing popularity of Reiki practice, an uneducated power response to how deeply Reiki has already been embraced by mainstream health care. We can use this to move forward.

Beware apathy: Bishops Syndrome is spreading. Some hospital Reiki programs have been pulled. We need to engage.

Skillfully. And now.

Let's continue the conversation on my blog, and look at how we can construct reasonable arguments to contain this influence. I look forward to reading your comments.

Reiki blessings,

Pamela

At the end of June, I'll be at Tai Sophia Institute, near Baltimore, MD for 2 events:

3 Secrets of a Medical Reiki Master, Friday, June 26, 6:30-8:30 PM

Communicating Reiki Workshop, Saturday, June 27, 10 AM-5:30 PM

I would love to meet you and your friends there.

Pamela Miles | Reiki in Medicine | New York, NY

This email was sent to info@reiki-support.com. To ensure that you continue receiving our emails, please add us to your address book or safe list.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Thanks for sharing that Bridget
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

Your welcome Milarepa. the above article
    does bring about an important part of how
    Reiki has evolved and is being used within
    many different groups that have changed its
    original system to enhance/promote their own
    business. sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 pm

I defintely wasn't aware that Reiki had been pulled from certain hopsitals.

To do that, is even more crazy, imo.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:38 pm

And the rebuttals still keep coming! Smile

Here are the comments of Frans and Bronwen Steine on the "Catholic Bishops Reiki Guidelines" article.

http://shibumireiki.org/index.php/blog/article/reiki_and_catholic_bishops

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:16 am

thanks for sharing that Colin.

It was a well written piece. Although in the main i like what Frans & Bronwen do, and have found Brownen in particular helpful, i feel that in actual fact, some of what they themselves teach is what helps create the environment for this situation.

In their Reiki Wiki group last year i saw they'd made comments about Reiki & Islam. In that there's no conflict between both. I can't seem to find that topic anymore. Anyhow, they had also made a topic entitled 'Amida Nyorai and the system of Reiki'.

I personally didn't see how that could be helpful in making Reiki appealing to the world, and after trying to reassure a fellow Reiki4All muslim member for the previous 3 weeks, that Reiki isn't Buddhist, i could forsee issues this subject may cause.

Read: http://www.reiki-wiki.com/thread/1559261/Buddhist+Dieties+%26+non-religion+within+Reiki.?mail=1131 . I'm 'Reiho'.

Whether a symbol used to represent something, doesn't mean it still does, or still should. I don't think the nazi's where hindus (swastika). It's another problem with single source Reiki contacts, this time, the Tendai 'connection' is via Chris Marsh (Tendai Buddhist) and an elusive aging Buddhist nun.

When folks in the Reiki world portray Reiki as using symbols that actually represent Buddhist dieties, then of course other organised religions will have issues. It's not rocket science.

entirely unrelated, but this illustrates another part of the issues, imo....

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy - Page 2 Chrism10

Source: http://www.aetw.org/reiki_suzuki_san.htm .
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:56 am

Milarepa wrote:thanks for sharing that Colin.

It was a well written piece. Although in the main i like what Frans & Bronwen do, and have found Brownen in particular helpful, i feel that in actual fact, some of what they themselves teach is what helps create the environment for this situation.

In their Reiki Wiki group last year i saw they'd made comments about Reiki & Islam. In that there's no conflict between both. I can't seem to find that topic anymore. Anyhow, they had also made a topic entitled 'Amida Nyorai and the system of Reiki'.

I personally didn't see how that could be helpful in making Reiki appealing to the world, and after trying to reassure a fellow Reiki4All muslim member for the previous 3 weeks, that Reiki isn't Buddhist, i could forsee issues this subject may cause.

Read: http://www.reiki-wiki.com/thread/1559261/Buddhist+Dieties+%26+non-religion+within+Reiki.?mail=1131 . I'm 'Reiho'.

Whether a symbol used to represent something, doesn't mean it still does, or still should. I don't think the nazi's where hindus (swastika). It's another problem with single source Reiki contacts, this time, the Tendai 'connection' is via Chris Marsh (Tendai Buddhist) and an elusive aging Buddhist nun.

When folks in the Reiki world portray Reiki as using symbols that actually represent Buddhist dieties, then of course other organised religions will have issues. It's not rocket science.

Hi Wayne

Yes, I agree. It is unfortunate when some Reiki teachers connect a Reiki symbol directly to a Buddhist deity. Although the origin of the SHK may be the kriku(hrih) seed syllable (bija) used to connect to the Amida Buddha, the very stylized version used in Reiki could also be said to represent or be linked to the quality of compassion.

Qualities such as compassion are universal and therefore above individual religions. As the other poster in the link you gave for the Reiki Wiki discussion says: "In Usui Sensei's "Explanation of Open Teaching" deities were not mentioned". This is as it should be and allows Reiki teachers and students to be able to understand and connect to the quality of compassion in the way they feel fits best for them, without limiting it to one particular belief system.

Ai to Hikari
    Colin Smile
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:35 am

Colin wrote:

Qualities such as compassion are universal and therefore above individual religions.

Or, encompassing all religions, Smile .

Colin wrote:
    As the other poster in the link you gave for the Reiki Wiki discussion says: "In Usui Sensei's "Explanation of Open Teaching" deities were not mentioned". This is as it should be and allows Reiki teachers and students to be able to understand and connect to the quality of compassion in the way they feel fits best for them, without limiting it to one particular belief system.

Something i've been hinting at, and actually saying for a while, is that perhaps the reason why Reiki fits so easily with all beliefs is because the founder himself may have been like this.

We already know it's quite common for Japanese folks to follow more than one religion at once. We know, as sure as if it's set in stone, that Usui sensei travelled, and studied widely. And we know he was interested in spirituality.

It's a small step to then assume Usui sensei may have followed various religions, or, may have been a member of one of the new Religions that arose. Omoto Kyo, for example, took aspects of Buddhism & Christianity.

It doesn't make sense he would feel the need to travel to Europe & USA, if all he was interested in was Buddhism.

Perhaps the reason why Reiki fits so well with ny belief sytem, is cause the founder had a spiritual path with origins in many belief systems. Maybe it's only when we try to curb the spiritual comprehensivness of Reiki, that the 'seeds' for issues such as this topic are sown. From all sides, Smile .

take care
    Wayne
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:23 am

Here is the response sent by Paul Mitchell (one of Hawayo Takata's Master students) to the US Catholic Bishops (and also the Reiki Digest)

http://reikidigest.blogspot.com/2009/06/reiki-pioneer-paul-mitchell-responds-to.html

It relates how Mrs Takata thought about Reiki and is also a well written piece.

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:35 pm