Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+7
Lambs-Wool
Dragonfly
Violet Rose Reiki
Thaak
chi_solas
Milarepa
Colin
11 posters

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy - Page 3 Empty Re: Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

Post by chi_solas Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:57 pm

check out this info that I came across on SRI Website
    Pope John Paul II Officialy Blessed Reiki.

Basketball

http://www.reikilinetour2009.com/poland-history.html

sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy - Page 3 Empty Re: Guidelines for Evaluating Reiki as an Alternative Therapy

Post by Milarepa Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Oh, that's a superb link Bridget! Many thanks for that, it's actually cheered me up a bit!

Just read your link also Colin, another excellant piece! Paul's obviously in a position to give a valid view.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm

bounce
    Wow that is a great site - check out some of the other links for some great early Reiki stories and even photos of Shinobu Saito another of Hawayo Takata's Master Students who I have never seen a photo of before!

Thanks, Bridget!

Ai to Hikari
    Colin

http://www.reikilinetour2009.com/poland-history.html

sunny
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:44 am

Maybe a bit late in the day but I've only just come across it is Phyllis Furumoto's response to the US Catholic Bishop's article. Note that this response was sent to the Reiki teacher who brout the article to Phyllis' attention rather than the Bishops themselves.

http://www.usuishikiryohoreiki.com/blog-with-phyllis/48-general/81-ncr-41709

It offers a slghtly different view to many of the other resposes.

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:43 pm

I like her approach. sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:45 pm

what an excellant response of Phyliss. clearly showing the 5 principles, imo.
    fshortt
    fshortt
    Senior member/Forum Promoter
    Senior member/Forum Promoter

Post by fshortt Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:18 pm

might be a bit late in the thread now, but just wanted to say that my grand-uncle was a irish catholic priest from his youth.
    He received reiki treatments from me for different conditions, and studied and practiced buddhist meditation.
    There was no conflict with his catholic point-point-of-view so to speak.
    As he said they were all good teachings that we can learn a great deal from.
    None of the priests that gathered at our house from time to time for discussions etc. had any objection to these studies but were themselves engaged in similar study.
    Worth mentioning though, was that this was under the last pope... Smile

f
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:29 am

The priests are the closes to the flock.
    They understand the daily grind of the
    ups/downs of life. bounce

The Bishops are competing for higher office
    so they need to make brownie points to advance
    to a higher office. Disputing Reiki makes them
    look like they are guarding the churches principles study
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:08 am

Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Great, Bridget! Thanks for posting this!

Very Happy

Ai to Hikari
    Colin
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:56 pm

Months go on, just when you think
    the issue has died down. It pops
    up again..........reikimedicine.org

Reiki & the Bishops in the Boston Globe

Posted: 25 Sep 2009 06:32 AM PDT

Bishops Syndrome has made it to the Boston Globe.

A colleague from the North Shore sent me an alarmed email, referring to it as a “horrid article.” I respectfully disagree.

There are only minor inaccuracies: depicting Usui as a doctor who developed the practice at the turn of the century (he was not a physician and it was the 1920s), saying Reiki came to the U.S. in the 1940s (it was the late 1930s), and saying Takata taught Reiki “to a handful of Americans” (I don’t know of any data on this but Takata trained 22 Reiki masters, and since, like Usui and Hayashi, she reserved such training for a very few of her students, she clearly trained far more than a handful of Americans).

Of course a Boston Globe reporter would reach out to local hero and early proponent of mind-body medicine Herbert Benson, even though Reiki is not mind-body medicine. It would have taken a bit more digging to find a medical expert qualified to comment on Reiki, someone such as the NIH’s Ann Berger. Benson clearly is not well-versed in Reiki; he’s much more of a placebo kind of a guy, so it’s no surprise that he brought placebo into his comments. But it’s a valid point, one that many discerning minds would raise.

The overall evenness of the article is evidence that Reiki practice now has enough mainstream recognition to be taken seriously, regardless what the Catholic Bishops think. Remember the first rule of advertising: no publicity is bad publicity. Although I feel for the patients who are being denied care as a result of the bishops’ pronouncement, it sparked a fire of public interest in Reiki that’s warming this practitioner’s heart. Bishops’ Syndrom is raising Reiki’s profile, and in a sympathetic context, no less (public perception of Catholic bishops vs. patients in pain?–my money’s on the patients).

I encourage you to read the article. When a story on Reiki receives a lot of public response, it signals the media that Reiki is a topic of interest, which leads to more stories on Reiki. If you take the time to comment on the Globe’s site, and to compose your comment carefully, all the better. Self-righteous Reiki practitioners leaving poorly thought out comments gives evidence to support the bishops’ prejudice. It’s much more effective for people to simply share brief personal stories of how Reiki benefited their loved ones.

That’s what I think of Reiki in the Boston Globe. What do you think?
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:51 pm

There are only minor inaccuracies: depicting Usui as a doctor who developed the practice at the turn of the century (he was not a physician....

....That’s what I think of Reiki in the Boston Globe. What do you think?

I think, there's no evidence to prove Usui sensei wasn't a physician. In fact, there'd be more 'proof' he was, than to the contrary, Smile .
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:57 am

Another month has passed and Christian Reiki......
    its all about attitude sunny

Reiki in the Name of Jesus
    by Pamela Miles

Posted: 29 Oct 2009 10:30 AM PDT

The intersection of Christianity and Reiki has gotten a lot of press this year, starting in response to the American bishops’ pronouncement last March, and taking an unexpected turn when, contrary to the debunking by historians in recent years, the Reiki Digest unearthed evidence that Usui may have been involved with Christianity after all.

How does all this controversy play out in clinical practice? Case by case.

A hospital Reiki practitioner, a professional of many years, recently asked my advice after receiving a request for Reiki treatment that came with an unusual condition. The prospective client—we’ll call her Agnes—wanted a Reiki treatment done “in the name of Jesus.”

Reiki practitioners are sometimes put off by such a request, but not me. I liked that Agnes was giving deep thought to her healing choices. Agnes’s concern could be used as common ground from which to help her explore whether this would be a meaningful and safe healing connection—for her.

In this case, I knew that both the practitioner and the clinic were safe and nurturing. I also knew that even a stellar situation will not be the best match for everyone at any given time.

When we receive a request with a religious component, it’s wise to keep in mind that the person asking this question might be a diehard religious fundamentalist. In that case, an appropriate response would be either “Yes, that’s how I practice,” or “No, it’s not.” A fundamentalist is not interested in our interpretations.

But as practitioners, we want to avoid jumping to conclusions and preemptively closing the door to care, even while remaining mindful that Agnes might have a black-and-white perspective. Our responsibility to and care of our clients start long before we place our Reiki hands.

People often seek Reiki treatment because they are not feeling well. People who aren’t feeling well are often anxious, and anxiety is expressed obliquely at times. As practitioners, our job is to give prospective clients the facts while compassionately reaching out so they know that we care about their well-being, whether or not they choose to work with us.

Here’s what I wrote back:

Why don’t you have a conversation with Agnes, either on the phone or when she comes, to learn specifically what she has in mind. If you consider yourself a Christian, that may be all she needs. Perhaps she’s been told that asking for Reiki in the name of Jesus is how to make sure you’re not doing “devil” Reiki. But be very careful to let Agnes explain herself, and to express how you practice honestly, so that she can make an informed choice. If you reconfigure your approach in any way to make Reiki more appealing to Agnes, it could backfire.

What was the outcome?

In a follow-up conversation, the practitioner said that although she was originally uncomfortable with Agnes’s request, she felt very different once they met.

Agnes was not opposed to Reiki. What Agnes wanted was reassurance that the practitioner was not opposed to Christianity. She requested a few minutes to pray before and after the treatment, but showed no interest in having the practitioner join her in prayer. After speaking with the practitioner, Agnes felt that she could “accept Reiki from the practitioner and heal with Jesus.”

In the month since her initial request, Agnes has been returning for weekly Reiki treatment. She does not discuss her experiences with the practitioner, but her calm demeanor after each treatment speaks volumes.
    email2friend
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:44 pm

Almost a year later................

February 12, 2010 ~ Reiki and the Catholic Church | Religion ...
    Feb 12, 2010 ... SISTER MADELINE GIANFORTE (CORE/El Centro): As a practitioner, ... LAWTON: But the US Catholic bishops say Reiki is superstition, ...
    http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/february-12-2010/reiki-and-the-catholic-church/5683/
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Does anyone have information regarding
    the continued/non-continued use of Reiki
    within the Catholic healing hospitals.
    It seems that this issue has disappeared
    from the lime light of news media.scratch

Holistic nursing practice/support Reiki
    as an energy therapy.The practice of
    holistic nursing is not subject to
    regulations by religious organizations
    such as the Catholic Church. study

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:35 pm