Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

5 posters

Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation?

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? Empty Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation?

Post by LightBody Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Hello everyone.

Today I'm reviewing and rewriting another chapter in my manuscript. This chapter is about meditation. I have a question.

What's the difference between Reiki methods and/or techniques and meditation?

I think the two are one in the same.

chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? Empty Re: Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation?

Post by chi_solas Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:42 pm

Buck wrote:Hello everyone.

Today I'm reviewing and rewriting another chapter in my manuscript. This chapter is about meditation. I have a question.

Meditation,imo you are training the mind
    to slow down. The mind is very bossy and
    likes to be in charge. Hence the many
    interruptions during a meditation session.
    Some folks get frustrated trying to meditate
    and give up thinking that they are suppose to
    quiet the mind to become blank Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? 396901

Reiki is bringing the mind into awareness
    of what the body needs to balance and harmonize
    within. Again some folks give up thinking
    that Reiki is an instant push button healer Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? 850837
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:21 am

Buck wrote:Hello everyone.

I think that, ultimately, you are correct in that they are one in the same - certainly as far as the goal is concerned (to find peace and wholeness, becoming one with your original nature and the Universe). Cool

There are many different ways of achieving that goal, however, within both Reiki and meditation.

One difference is that while meditation is usually something to help oneself to progress towards the goal, Reiki Practice can help oneself and others to progress towards the goal. Very Happy
    LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:32 am

chi_solas wrote:Meditation,imo you are training the mind
    to slow down. The mind is very bossy and
    likes to be in charge. Hence the many
    interruptions during a meditation session.
    Some folks get frustrated trying to meditate
    and give up thinking that they are suppose to
    quiet the mind to become blank Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? 396901

Well I've met many people who have blank minds without the aid of meditation! DOH! I'm joking, I'm joking.

Speaking from the experience of having stared at a blank wall for many years, and sometimes returning to that practice (zazen), I know all to well where you are coming from.

I agree that the mind can be perceived as noisy and that the common belief, based on the feedback I've been given from my student base, is that the goal of meditation is to think of "nothing" or become "blank," but I also believe (from experience) that is not entirely accurate.

chi_solas wrote:Reiki is bringing the mind into awareness
    of what the body needs to balance and harmonize
    within. Again some folks give up thinking
    that Reiki is an instant push button healer Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? 850837

That almost sounds to me as if meditation is to give one a relaxed, blank state of mind, then Reiki helps one achieve a relaxed, active state of mind.

LightBody
    LightBody
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by LightBody Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:36 am

Colin wrote:One difference is that while meditation is usually something to help oneself to progress towards the goal, Reiki Practice can help oneself and others to progress towards the goal. Very Happy

Do you think that techniques such as Hatsureiho, Byosen, etc. are meditations? I do.
    Colin
    Colin
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by Colin Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:57 am

Buck wrote:
    Colin wrote:One difference is that while meditation is usually something to help oneself to progress towards the goal, Reiki Practice can help oneself and others to progress towards the goal. Very Happy

Do you think that techniques such as Hatsureiho, Byosen, etc. are meditations? I do.

Yes, I think that hatsurei ho is a meditation but a byosen is a phenomenon (an energetic imbalance). However, the act of detecting byosen (byosen reikan ho) could be seen as a meditation, I suppose. Smile
    Lambs-Wool
    Lambs-Wool
    Global Moderator
    Global Moderator

Post by Lambs-Wool Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:05 am

hi Buck Smile

meditation for the purpose of getting a 'blank' mind ? thats true, but maybe in the very initial phases of starting practices...

i would love a single-minded mind instead of a blank mind Smile like you said 'staring' a wall for hours, this controls the noisy, bossy, monkey nature of mind... and during classical hypnosis, dot gazing was the first exercise i was taught to start with... then during another course, i got introduced with candle gazing, and that is so involving, inspiring and intriguing Smile what i've felt that when we deeply concentrate we are not getting rid of noise, rather we are becoming 'indifferent' to whether there would be any noise... it would be technically inaccurate to say that when concentration and/or meditiaon deepens, mind goes blank, infact otherwise is true... mind becomes the rider of a light-speed shuttle, time flies like a bullet from a nozzel. i can testify that i once i had a two and a half hour session in candle gazing, that those 2.5 hours passed just like a wink... hell, if my mind was blank in those moments, i must have died sitting for those hours silently... infact mind becomes very fast during concentration....

it might be interesting to share that this deep concentration is sometimes an embarassement for me in daily life... when i m in a work, i m so much un-aware of my surroundings.... sometims dangerously unawre Smile!

back to the thread, reiki and meditation..... well, you are perhaps not talking about meditation of of beginners/newbies ? there is a difference between the meditation experience of starters and the experience of long buddies.... while beginners mostly try to calm mind, the experienced one often 'travel' and make 'leaps' within meditaion spells Reiki Techniques vs. Meditation? 850837

talking generally, i feel that reiki experience exists within meditative states, and not outside.... the symbol HSZSN has been said to be a 'call to mindfulness', and HSZSN is often activated within in-person healings also, even in self-healings too....

the difference between meditations and reiki might be very refined... within meditations generally, we have to 'do' something to get into meditative state... within reiki, we drift into meditations not because of our 'intent' for meditation as such, but because of reiki symbols working within us...

i had to say more, but after dinner, maybe:cheers:

take care

salman
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:50 am

There are as many different styles of
    meditation as there are Reiki. Some I
    find fascinating, especially "maum" Arrow

Reiki I find to be more on the hypnotic
    level. drunken
    rzukic
    rzukic
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by rzukic Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:34 pm

While I am not expert in none of above disciplines it seems that this is rather too broad question. In addition just as with reiki it seems that there is no universally accepted definition of meditation.

I agree with Selman “single-minded mind” definition and I assume he refers to so called concentration meditation while so called mindfullnes meditation focus on scanning our thought without analyzing it.

It seems to me, generally speaking that difference lies in the form itself, the goal and the method of respective disciplines.

I agree also with Salman that reiki happens within meditative state but as he noted this was by-product in the lack of better word while “pure meditation” has to be self induced. So, I do not see the both to be the same. However, they could produce some similar result if we were to measure brainwaves I am sure that we would see a lot of similarities.

Regards,

Resko

Discover How Learning Reiki Can Change Your Life

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:30 pm