Reiki Learning Lounge

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Just for today..... Don't get angry.....Don't worry.....Be grateful.....Work hard.....Be kind to others

+6
Pandora
chi_solas
Hazel
thehungrycaterpillar
JohnC
Milarepa
10 posters

'Moving' Reiki

Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

'Moving' Reiki Empty 'Moving' Reiki

Post by Milarepa Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Many are taught not to 'direct' Reiki, to let it do it's own thing.

How come then, in hatsurei ho, specifically Seishin toitsu, we 'breathe' in & out through our hands, to our seika tanden?

Is it 'Ki' we are moving, as some suggest? If so, that's weird, cause we are involved with REIki, not 'ki'. If it was 'Ki' we would not have the word 'Reiki' to describe it.

Perhaps we can move Reiki? Or perhaps, Hatsurei ho isn't a Reiki practice at all, but from another discipline involving just 'Ki'?

Take care
    Wayne
    JohnC
    JohnC

'Moving' Reiki Empty Re: 'Moving' Reiki

Post by JohnC Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:18 am

OK, personal opinion of course...

As far as Reiki moving or not. My sense is that Reiki either moves, or causes movement in energy...

But my belief is that energy development techniques such as Hatsurei Ho are optional - primarily because, for me, personal energy doesn't have a place in Reiki. They're good techniques all the same, but I wouldn't get too concerned about not practicing them.

As far as techniques being in or out of the system, I could do with some clarification on the issue...

Didn't Mikao Usui spend years researching and developing healing techniques. So was everything he learned over the years incorporated into Reiki as the final product?

If I were taught by Mikao Usui before his Reiki satori, what would I have been taught?

Is there a clean cut off between Usui's ultimate Reiki technique/process and his legacy of "other" healing techniques?

And if someone in Japan claims to pass on techniques taught in a lineage extending back to Mikao Usui - might they still be teaching something other than Reiki?

JohnC
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:58 pm

By asking us not to direct Reiki, were they saying not to direct it at the symptoms? -meaning not to try and focus on 'curing' the symptoms? ...b'cos Reiki is going to do it and it will choose what needs to be healed first?

Otherwise why do we even have all these hands positions?? Why not just place hands on only one place and expect Reiki to 'finish' off the rest of the body?

my .02cents!

@QQQQQQQQ0
    JohnC
    JohnC

Post by JohnC Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:48 pm

My personal opinion is that Reiki is more effective, or at least faster acting, when applied directly, and to the most appropriatae areas.

There are Reiki techniques to discern these areas - the hand positions are not required.

I think part of the reason my experience of Reiki feels so spiritual is that it is a passive or Yin technique that allows us into ourselves as part of the healing process.

Not to say that many practitioners don't try to direct Reiki, down to the cellular level - that's fine, and works well. Just doesn't do it for me...

John
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:01 am

Yeah, I am eager to know about this...

Stumped,
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:15 am

Hi John,

JohnC wrote:OK, personal opinion of course...

As far as Reiki moving or not. My sense is that Reiki either moves, or causes movement in energy...

What if 'Reiki' never moves at all, ever? What if it's merely our attention that becomes focussed, so we become aware at any one place what is always there?

Would account for absent healing also, since we use essentially a call to mindfullness for it. Smile .

JohnC wrote:
    But my belief is that energy development techniques such as Hatsurei Ho are optional - primarily because, for me, personal energy doesn't have a place in Reiki. They're good techniques all the same, but I wouldn't get too concerned about not practicing them.

Yes, this is the thing, is it personal energy, or Reiki.

JohnC wrote:
    Didn't Mikao Usui spend years researching and developing healing techniques. So was everything he learned over the years incorporated into Reiki as the final product?

i dunno if he focussed on healing per se. He did study loads, and travel.

JohnC wrote:
    If I were taught by Mikao Usui before his Reiki satori, what would I have been taught?

Havn't a clue mate. I'm still trying to find out what he taught post Kurama Yama! hehe.

JohnC wrote:
    And if someone in Japan claims to pass on techniques taught in a lineage extending back to Mikao Usui - might they still be teaching something other than Reiki?

The problem is, Reiki has become such a generic term, it seems fine to include anything in it. So, yeah, loads are teaching stuff other than Reiki, hehe.

take care
    Wayne
    Hazel
    Newbie/Forum Promoter
    Newbie/Forum Promoter

Post by Hazel Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:46 pm

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:By asking us not to direct Reiki, were they saying not to direct it at the symptoms? -meaning not to try and focus on 'curing' the symptoms? ...b'cos Reiki is going to do it and it will choose what needs to be healed first?

Otherwise why do we even have all these hands positions?? Why not just place hands on only one place and expect Reiki to 'finish' off the rest of the body?

my .02cents!

I was never too sure why all the hand positions either, but over the years I believe that the hand positions were taught incases of any blockages.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:06 pm

If we look at 12 'usual' hand positions in Reiki, we see they cover all the major endocrine glands. Reiki balancing & harmonising these glands, will give us optimal over-all health. Or at least, contribute to it.

It's worth noting also, 3 usual positions to treat the head(within the 12 hand positions), treat the pituitary & pineal gland, which have been known for countless millenia to be associated with spirituality.

take care
    Wayne
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:18 pm

Hazel wrote:
    thehungrycaterpillar wrote:By asking us not to direct Reiki, were they saying not to direct it at the symptoms? -meaning not to try and focus on 'curing' the symptoms? ...b'cos Reiki is going to do it and it will choose what needs to be healed first?

my .02cents!

I was never too sure why all the hand positions either, but over the years I believe that the hand positions were taught incases of any blockages.

Someone who isn't convinced of something himself won't be convinced about it by you either.
    You do not have to go through all the hand positions for Reiki to be effective. Reiki goes to where its needed.
    A person can have a pain or symptom show up in their body and the real issue could be emotional. In the medical world emotions are often overlooked DR's will try to fix the symptoms but with Reiki you do not have to diagnose just facilitate. I see the active moving of hands from the crown to other parts of the body as part of a ritual of moving blocked energies. You could keep your hands on just the shoulders and Reiki will go where ever it needs to go. Think of a situation when you find yourself needing to hold a child/adult who is distraught you just hold them until they calm down. The act of holding is Reiki.
    sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 pm

Though also Bridget, when a person falls, or a child, we place our hands instinctively on any injured area.

The usefullness of placing hands on my toes, for a toothache, is very questionable, imo. Granted, perhaps after a time it would benefit from the toe Reiki, but that's useless to me whilst i have a toothache now. A few minutes locally applying Reiki to a toothace, gives quickest, surest, relief, ime. Smile.

take care
    Wayne
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:58 pm

When sending distant Reiki it works without being touched.

My dog was sensitive to Reiki touch. A Reiki friend suggested that I use distant Reiki. When in the same room I would connect with him using my eyes, he would also be looking at me we were about 5/6 feet a part in about 5 mins I could see him begin to relax the way you notice your client/recipient become more relaxed into the session.

I also had a client who came for Reiki sessions she did not want to be touched. She felt more comfortable sitting in a chair and I facilitated Reiki from a comfortable distance. When I go to hospitals sometimes a patient is hooked up to all kinds of machines and their feet or hands are the only available comfort zones that the patient can tolerate being touched.
    sunny
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:10 am

yes, i understand. You have to remember, Reiki works on a somewhat 'energetic' level. treating hands-off does work, as we are treating the 'aura' in ways.

Absent healing works, in the case of Reiki, because of HSZSN, and what it does. This is why, imo, absent healing can be much more 'focussed', and perhaps why Takata sensei taught to do no more than 3 in a row, each at 30 mins, as it's 'concentrated'.

The premise of absent treatments is different to what we're speaking of. in my own experience, fwiw, when i've used the technique Takata sensei taught, i.e. i do absent healing as if i'm doing a standard treatment, the recipient has reported a marked difference. As opposed to any 'general' over-all at once way of doing things.

take care
    Wayne
    thehungrycaterpillar
    thehungrycaterpillar

Post by thehungrycaterpillar Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:05 am

Absent healing works, in the case of Reiki, because of HSZSN, and what it does. This is why, imo, absent healing can be much more 'focussed', and perhaps why Takata sensei taught to do no more than 3 in a row, each at 30 mins, as it's 'concentrated'.

The premise of absent treatments is different to what we're speaking of. in my own experience, fwiw, when i've used the technique Takata sensei taught, i.e. i do absent healing as if i'm doing a standard treatment, the recipient has reported a marked difference. As opposed to any 'general' over-all at once way of doing things.

an AHA and a GOTCHA moment!!!

(Garry, This is for you too!)
    I did hear once that distant healing was MORE POWERFUL or more focused as you call it and I wanted to hear that statement again and why.
    Thank you for that, Wayne!

(also about how many we can do in a row...) Once I felt so drained just doing 2 in a row!

OOps , dropped the ball, Wayne, why is it powerful or focused again,
    Is it b'cos of the symbol and what it does?

THC
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:35 am

I gotta be quick here, gotta go shopping, Smile.

My own opinion is Reiki only works via absent healing bcause of HSZSN. now, folks will say level 1 can do absent healing. so let's look at that.

Not all absent/distance healing is Reiki, for a start. Smile . Of course, one may assume it is if they are a Reiki practitioner.

I've a theroy that because (as is usual nowadays), folks initiate using HSZSN at level 1, they are in fact empowering that level 1 student to absent heal. Whether the teacher realises it or not. When a person experiences Reiki, the symbols aren't dormant just because a person never drew them. symbols are active.

Hence, level 1 folks seem to be able to absent heal. A teacher should think about the initiation processes they do. Usually, one doesn't, they just 'do what they were taught'. Smile .

Jeez, big digress there! Ok, Smile . HSZSN is essentially a call to mindfullness. Although it is a phrase actually, it obviously has 'power'. When one uses HSZSN, they are activating their own call to mindfullness. This focus, conscious or maybe sub-counscious, enables the practitioner to know 'focus' on recipient. To 'know' inside, that we are all connected maybe.

Because of the focus, the mindfullness, the treatment is more concentrated. I don't like comparing Reiki to just 'energy', as is obvious, hehe, but..

'Energy goes where attention goes..' Smile

Take care
    Wayne
    Pandora
    Pandora
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Pandora Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:59 am

This probably makes no sense to anyone but me, but when I give short Reiki sessions I only hold one part of the body, eiher feet or shoulders. However, those who are sensitive who have received Reiki in this way tell me they can feel the energy moving through them from my hands.

The hand positions are also taught in the spiritual healing practice I was taught. Now why is this? In other words, they are not unique to Reiki.

When I am giving Reiki in a longer session, yes I will start at the head and end at the feet, but what happens in between is between me, the client and Reiki! Sometimes I am led to put my hands in places where the traditional positions don't say. At all times I intend to be led by the Reiki.
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:07 am

Milarepa wrote:The problem is, Reiki has become such a generic term, it seems fine to include anything in it. So, yeah, loads are teaching stuff other than Reiki, hehe.

take care
    Wayne

If I'm not mistaken, "Reiki" was a generic term in Japan even before Usui-sensei had his experience.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:08 am

Pandora wrote:Sometimes I am led to put my hands in places where the traditional positions don't say. At all times I intend to be led by the Reiki.

For sure, Smile . Reiji ho is right down this avenue.

Take care
    Wayne
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:09 am

Dragonfly wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:The problem is, Reiki has become such a generic term, it seems fine to include anything in it. So, yeah, loads are teaching stuff other than Reiki, hehe.

take care
    Wayne

If I'm not mistaken, "Reiki" was a generic term in Japan even before Usui-sensei had his experience.

Yeah, the word means many things. I'm speaking of the usage of it in regards to healing 'system' that is Usui Shiki Ryoho, and all it's later dereritives. Smile

take care
    Wayne
    Dragonfly
    Dragonfly
    Forum Promoter
    Forum Promoter

Post by Dragonfly Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:26 am

Milarepa wrote:
    Pandora wrote:Sometimes I am led to put my hands in places where the traditional positions don't say. At all times I intend to be led by the Reiki.

Take care
    Wayne

That happens with me quite a bit. And I have had clients say to me, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I was experiencing pain, etc. in that area" because they came to me primarily for different reasons.
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:31 am

thehungrycaterpillar wrote:
    (also about how many we can do in a row...) Once I felt so drained just doing 2 in a row!

Hiya THC,
    Going over this topic agian, i wanted to mention this, as it may be important, Smile .

In an absent treatment, we don't also 'benefit' from Reiki. Only the recipient. Even with that, one shouldn't feel 'drained'. Maybe if the practitioner was already feeling a bit tired that day, i dunno, been out shooping all day or something. Then again, i've never had a problem treating 40 folks at a mind/body/spirit fair, as i recieve Reiki also via the treatments. To do maybe an hour or two without the possible rejuvination of Reiki as well, may make one tired.

Using personal energy can make us feel this way also. Not saying that's what happened, just an exmaple.

take care
    Wayne

Last edited by Milarepa on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    Milarepa
    Milarepa
    Forum Founder
    Forum Founder

Post by Milarepa Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:32 am

Dragonfly wrote:
    Milarepa wrote:

Take care
    Wayne

That happens with me quite a bit. And I have had clients say to me, "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you I was experiencing pain, etc. in that area" because they came to me primarily for different reasons.

yeah, its' kinda like a nice bit of feedback, almost 'verification' if you will, that one's intuition is spot on, Smile .

take care
    Wayne
    chi_solas
    chi_solas
    Admin/Forum Promoter
    Admin/Forum Promoter

Post by chi_solas Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:00 am

Pandora wrote:This probably makes no sense to anyone but me, but when I give short Reiki sessions I only hold one part of the body, eiher feet or shoulders. However, those who are sensitive who have received Reiki in this way tell me they can feel the energy moving through them from my hands.

The hand positions are also taught in the spiritual healing practice I was taught. Now why is this? In other words, they are not unique to Reiki.

When I am giving Reiki in a longer session, yes I will start at the head and end at the feet, but what happens in between is between me, the client and Reiki! Sometimes I am led to put my hands in places where the traditional positions don't say. At all times I intend to be led by the Reiki.
    When facilitating Chair Reiki in the nursing home, I usually change some hand positions and do the forearm, the elbow area & the wrist/hand area. The elderly find those arm positions to be very soothing.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Milarepa wrote:Many are taught not to 'direct' Reiki, to let it do it's own thing.

How come then, in hatsurei ho, specifically Seishin toitsu, we 'breathe' in & out through our hands, to our seika tanden?

Is it 'Ki' we are moving, as some suggest? If so, that's weird, cause we are involved with REIki, not 'ki'. If it was 'Ki' we would not have the word 'Reiki' to describe it.

Perhaps we can move Reiki? Or perhaps, Hatsurei ho isn't a Reiki practice at all, but from another discipline involving just 'Ki'?

Take care
    Wayne

I think we discussed this sort of question back on Reiki-4-All... and my opinion is this:

Mikao Usui was Buddhist, and so it makes sense that his practice of energy healing would incorporate many Buddhist spiritual techniques. Indeed, the Seika Tanden is not specific to Reiki. It is a Japanese energetic organ derived from the 3 Dantien of Chinese origin. The three Dantien of which THE Dantien is where the Seika Tanden is located, are derived from the Hindu Chakra system.

I'm just saying...
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 pm

chi_solas wrote:When sending distant Reiki it works without being touched.

My dog was sensitive to Reiki touch. A Reiki friend suggested that I use distant Reiki. When in the same room I would connect with him using my eyes, he would also be looking at me we were about 5/6 feet a part in about 5 mins I could see him begin to relax the way you notice your client/recipient become more relaxed into the session.

I also had a client who came for Reiki sessions she did not want to be touched. She felt more comfortable sitting in a chair and I facilitated Reiki from a comfortable distance. When I go to hospitals sometimes a patient is hooked up to all kinds of machines and their feet or hands are the only available comfort zones that the patient can tolerate being touched.
    sunny

I was facilitating a Reiki session for a friend of mine. She has migraine headaches and I offered to help out a bit if I could. She has 3 parrots and a cat in a very small apartment. The birds were being noisy and the cat was lording herself over the room from the back of the couch.

When I started, the birds all got quiet and the cat became curious and came down to check me out. The room was ridiculously silent for about 20 minutes.
    Thaak
    Thaak

Post by Thaak Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:34 pm

Milarepa wrote:
    My own opinion is Reiki only works via absent healing bcause of HSZSN. now, folks will say level 1 can do absent healing. so let's look at that.

Not all absent/distance healing is Reiki, for a start. Smile . Of course, one may assume it is if they are a Reiki practitioner.

I've a theroy that because (as is usual nowadays), folks initiate using HSZSN at level 1, they are in fact empowering that level 1 student to absent heal. Whether the teacher realises it or not. When a person experiences Reiki, the symbols aren't dormant just because a person never drew them. symbols are active.

Wayne

I'm not sure I fully agree with you Wayne. And I know this was a major discussion you and I have batted about before.

But I believe that the symbols are merely tools. It is possible to transcend the tools. It is also possible that someone has been attuned in other ways than through the traditional human to human initiation. Or that they were born attuned?

Just because they weren't taught under a Reiki flag, does not mean that Reiki does not work through them.

And just because they are only level 1 and have not been initated to HSZSN, does not mean that they cannot facilitate a distance session.

All the symbols and the initiation to the symbols does, is it gives us a spark from which to lite a fire. But if through spirituality and intent we already have an inferno within us, we don't necessarily need the spark.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:52 am